Fernandes Vs De Bruyne

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Saw a video that the kick off uploaded debating who’s the better player and it’s quite an interesting topic. Both extremely talented players with similar skill sets yet if you were to only have one in your team who would you pick?

Personally for me I would take Bruno but if De Bruyne was the same age as Bruno is then it would have to be Kevin.

Blood Mage

De Bruyne has the better technique and passing range but I'd always take Bruno's dynamism and urgency over him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Bruno is fire, KDB is ice and in the words of Derek Smalls I am lukewarm water

I prefer Bruno. We needed a leader and a talisman and we bought one to order, a morale booster and a creative freak and we probably found the one player in the world who could come in and instantly take all that on and make it work instantly.

NewYorkRed

IMO- they are the two best attacking midfielders in the world right now. Bruno adds more goals, and at times can pick an amazing pass, but I would (painfully) have to go with KdB just because I feel he impacts the game on a whole more than Bruno. It is very, very, very close though.

Silas

Love Bruno, but it's definitely De Bruyne for me. Better passer, more versatile, more consistent technique. Dribbling-wise De Bruyne's a lot better at driving up the pitch too, partly because he's faster. Bruno has the better shot/finish but De Bruyne's pretty amazing in this aspect too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Saw a video that the kick off uploaded debating who’s the better player and it’s quite an interesting topic. Both extremely talented players with similar skill sets
How do they have similar skillsets though? Bruno is a risky player who will try anything to get through on goal; while De Bruyne is a precision player who is more about assist than goals. (Isn't he? Even if he scores a fair few as well.) I'd say you want them together in a team. Wouldn't they really complement each other? Bruno would be perfect to receive all those though-balls I'd think.

I don't know who I'd pick if I could take either. Depends on the rest of team, the forward line in particular.

Amarsdd

De Bruyne might be a better player technically but I'd have Bruno in my team every day of the week.

Womp

idiot
Different types of players and different positions. De Bruyne will never be able to get the numbers Bruno does and Bruno will never be able to dictate play etc. like KDB does.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
KDB is top 5 player in the world. Bruno is close but not as good. Please watch other teams play.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
KDB shows up in big games at both the club and national team.

ufb

Different players for different teams IMO.

Bruno for a team like United - dynamic, a leader on/off the pitch and the kind of player fans deeply bond with.
De Bruyne for a team like City - precise, controlled but a more measured presence on the pitch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
KDB shows up in big games at both the club and national team.
He really doesn't. From what I've seen he gets smaller in the bigger games.

On the topic KDB has been the better player overall and the one I'd pick based on their careers so far but Bruno has undoubtedly been the better player since he came to English football.

amolbhatia50k

KDB is top 5 player in the world. Bruno is close but not as good. Please watch other teams play.
While KDB is great he gets lumped with the best players on the planet by default it seems. He wasn't even that good last season with gundogan being their best CM by miles and the defence being the bedrock of the team.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
KDB has won trophies and is a big reason his national team is ranked so high. I like Bruno, I think he has skills. He has been bad in finals and semi finals and does little for his national team. This is when fans are blinded by their admiration for a good player on their team. Bruno has to be a reason Man Utd holds up trophies. He has to be a big part of his national team instead of being on the bench.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For ManUnited, Bruno all day long. He's just much more of a United player than KdB. His mentality, his swagger if you like and he's also a big risk taker. Can also win game by his goals. Since I support United and dont care about NT/other clubs, Bruno wins it for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Bruyne is the best in the world in his role, Bruno is 2nd in that role for me. Bruno definitely a bit more slack, not as dynamic with his ball carrying and not as refined generally compared to De Bruyne.

Teja

If you were building a team on paper, from scratch, then peak KdB > Bruno. I'd say 30yo KdB is better than Bruno as well.

Given the circumstances we were in and what we needed, Bruno hands down. Both City and United will be worse off if we just straight swapped Bruno for KdB.

KennyBurner

Lets not deceive ourselves, KDB is the better player. If I had to honestly choose it would be KDB over Bruno. We win the league instantly with a player like KDB. As efficient as Bruno is his general play can be very inconsistent while the opposite can be said for KDB. Its a good thing City are going through a time were their key players (Fernandihno, Aguero, David, Silva) have either left or are ageing. KDB wont be as effective with none/limited runners or quality strikers supporting him.

KennyBurner

Love Bruno, but it's definitely De Bruyne for me. Better passer, more versatile, more consistent technique. Dribbling-wise De Bruyne's a lot better at driving up the pitch too, partly because he's faster. Bruno has the better shot/finish but De Bruyne's pretty amazing in this aspect too.
Simply put. The dude is a powerhouse with crazy technique. Im sure he would get the numbers here at United if we put him on penalties and played him quick in transition like he did at Wolfsburg. Glad that he is 30 and so will soon see a steep decline in physical ability.

Dante

Average bang
Bruno's influence in the dressing room can't be understated. Steve Jobs was never the cleverest man in Silicon Valley. But he was the most driven. That's what Bruno gives you in a way that De Bruyne simply can't match.

Though in fairness to KDB, on paper he does win out in slightly more metrics.

But football isn't played on paper. So it's a flip of a coin who's the best. And I wouldn't begrudge either side of the argument.

That being said, in the last two seasons, Bruno wins clearly for me. Injury proneness is as important an factor as goalscoring and assists. So if ever there was a tie-breaker, that gives a clear victory to Fernandes.

Not that you should need a tie-breaker anyway. Here's the top five PL players with the most goals & assists since Bruno’s debut:

1. Bruno - 48
2. Kane - 44
3. Salah - 41
4. Son - 35
5. Vardy - 32

amolbhatia50k

KDB has won trophies and is a big reason his national team are ranked so high. I like Bruno, I think he has skills. He has been bad in finals and semi finals and does little for his national team. This is when fans are blinded by their admiration for a good player on their team. Bruno has to be a reason Man Utd holds up trophies. He has to be a big part of his national team instead of being on the bench.
While this should ideally be the case, KDB wouldn't have had trophies at Manchester United being managed by average managers either. If Ole proves to be the same for United as Jose and LVG, you can have fernandes or KDB or Modric (best CM of this decade), you will not win league titles. City on the other hand won the league without Aguero and with KDB not playing that well by his previous standards because you had so many others stepping up. It's a whole different beast to play for a team that jut wins titles every other year

That doesn't mean that Bruno is better - although I will argue that he has been better in the PL since he came. Only Kane rivals him imo. But of course Bruno for me has areas to improve on - his buildup play for example whereas KDB is more refined and reliable.

But I would like to add that I don't see KDB as a big game. For me that peformance in the CL final wasn't a surprise. He's not someone who grabs games either.

amolbhatia50k

Lets not deceive ourselves, KDB is the better player. If I had to honestly choose it would be KDB over Bruno. We win the league instantly with a player like KDB. As efficient as Bruno is his general play can be very inconsistent while the opposite can be said for KDB. Its a good thing City are going through a time were their key players (Fernandihno, Aguero, David, Silva) have either left or are ageing. KDB wont be as effective with none/limited runners or quality strikers supporting him.
:lol: Sure thing

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
While this should ideally be the case, KDB wouldn't have had trophies at Manchester United being managed by average managers either. If Ole proves to be the same for United as Jose and LVG, you can have fernandes or KDB or Modric (best CM of this decade), you will not win league titles. City on the other hand won the league without Aguero and with KDB not playing that well by his previous standards because you had so many others stepping up. It's a whole different beast to play for a team that jut wins titles every other year
KdB started just 11 league games but still they won the league in 2018-19 with 98 points. They are a well oiled machine now.

Cloud7

Bruno has better end product, and seems like more of a leader and can be more of a driving force.

KDB is more creative, better passer, better vision, able to control the game better.

For us, I'd say Bruno is more of what we need. However, for personal preference I would prefer KDB, as he's one of my favorite players in the however many years it's been since he came back to England and I've been able to watch him regularly.

Womp

idiot
KDB got into the TOTY last season and was quite average. I'm more than certain he's capable to get back to his level, but his level can be exaggerated at times due to how good City is and how good KDB can be/was in the past. Bruno has been the better player since joining, whilst playing for a team that isn't drilled or coached nearly as well.

KDB has so far had the better career, is the more technical and controlled player, but the goals and assists that Bruno provides is to a ridiculous standard.

Apples and oranges. KDB wouldn't look as good playing for us, nor do I think Bruno would be as good at City due to their reliance on wanting to keep posession.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
De Bruyne fits City structured, methodical play. Bruno is a genius because he can improvise, but he tends to do a lot of risky moves.

Swap Kevin with Bruno and their impact is reduced by half. They are in perfect clubs.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
Both suited more to their current clubs style of play.
KdB is coming off a relatively poor season for him, he was still a very good player. The question at 30 is that poor season (relative to the years of top 2/3 in league every season) just a blip or is he slowing down.
Bruno seems to be good to stay peak for many years and fitting very well with an improving team, and no injury issues.
Take both players and put them at the same age profile for their clubs and I think peak KdB edges it, but current KdB, his age and suitability to the club and we are quite a bit better with Bruno.

CG1010

Bruno is fire, KDB is ice and in the words of Derek Smalls I am lukewarm water

I prefer Bruno. We needed a leader and a talisman and we bought one to order, a morale booster and a creative freak and we probably found the one player in the world who could come in and instantly take all that on and make it work instantly.
Reminds me of the Song of Ice and Fire.

The fire wins at the end so its clear that Bruno is better :devil:

Strelok

Imo KDB is a more rounded, more completed player. But Bruno's output is simply insane, especially his scoring ability. Goals decide games and considering their charisma and how much each could elevate the performance of their teammates I'd take Bruno over KDB every day of the week.

Jev

Surprised at the answers. KDB is easily the better player in my opinion. Seems like a bit of recency bias after the hat trick. As important as Bruno has been for us, there have been many games where his passing was erratic and he kept conceding possession much too easily, yet covered it up with an assist or a goal, oftentimes just a penalty goal. KDB is the most consistent creative player in the world bar Messi and makes a team play much better football.

lex talionis

A lot of great comments here. It's a tossup between the two for me. If I had to edge it to one player over the other it would be KDB on the ground that he's so consistent, whereas Bruno does put in some mediocre performances. But I put that down to Ole running Bruno into the ground, a topic we've discussed many times before in the caf.

Peak form v peak form, I'd have give that to Bruno. But over a season, I have to give it to Kevin.

He'sRaldo

An edge would be KDB being so creative as a CM with more defensive duties and less cover, although Pep's defensive system is a big contributor to that.

In the end I'd pick KDB based on both their peak and average forms. However judging by Bruno's showing vs Leeds, I'm expecting him to go up another level this season, so hopefully by the end of the season he takes it.

rooneyowns10

I'm a newb and an american, so take this for what its worth, but I think KDB is slightly better. Numbers wouldn't reflect it, but Bruno's down games are worse than KDB and I think KDB is a bit better dribbling through traffic.

KDB is the more talented player and arguably the better footballer but Bruno has that force of personality and will to win that you cant quantify. Like Cantona, and it makes him much more valuable to us than KDB.