Fernandes Vs De Bruyne

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why compare them? De Bruyne is a mezzala, Bruno is a shadow striker. I’d fit them both into my FM tactic just fine no sweat.

Walters_19_MuFc

In the system we play, then Bruno every day of the week. His attacking movement is netter, gets into better positions and scores goals. A proper number 10/second striker.

I guess if you want to keep possession then it has to be De Bruyne but even then, he can be really sloppy at times.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Why compare them? De Bruyne is a mezzala, Bruno is a shadow striker. I’d fit them both into my FM tactic just fine no sweat.
What's this? Is it something that goes on my pizza with Tomato and basil?

But yes I agree with your point. Very different kind of players. A bit like comparing Lampard and Iniesta.

Bearded One

Nice debate!

De Bruyne is clearly the better all round player but I wouldn't trade my darling Bruno for anybody, no not even for De Bruyne.

Also I kind of think that De Bruyne is gradually coming to the end of his powers as he is no longer quite as influential in games as he once used to be few years back while Bruno on the other hand is just arriving his peak.

Would love to get the general Redcafe’s take on this debate but I don’t have all the chance to read through the posts because of personal commitments so maybe a poll could help?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He'd be City's top scorer if he played for them. End of thread.

Spaghetti

Mom's
De Bruyne is a better player than Bruno, but at the moment I think Bruno is a better fit for United. He was exactly what we needed to push us to the next level, and he’s done exactly that, partly by demanding more from his teammates and leading by example (barring the occasional hissy fit).

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
hates midfielders who lose the ball
Right. Have people actually watched De Bruyne play in this thread? He’s being made into a Tika takka god in this forum - he gives the ball away a fair bit himself as he’s also a high risk player. His pass completion averages fluctuate between high 70s and low 80s regularly - pretty similar to Bruno actually.

Bwuk

Bruno.

If you swapped Bruno for KdB in our side we wouldn’t be anywhere near as good. KdB is world class, but he doesn’t have the leadership or impact Bruno does regularly.

Marwood

Bruno.

If you swapped Bruno for KdB in our side we wouldn’t be anywhere near as good. KdB is world class, but he doesn’t have the leadership or impact Bruno does regularly.
Not sure about that. He's been the best player in a team that's won lots of trophies. That's a lot of impact and leadership.

De Bruyne is the better player but Bruno is kind of unique.

Real Name

Right. Have people actually watched De Bruyne play in this thread? He’s being made into a Tika takka god in this forum - he gives the ball away a fair bit himself as he’s also a high risk player. His pass completion averages fluctuate between high 70s and low 80s regularly - pretty similar to Bruno actually.
He just doesn't rate Bruno. Or any player.

As it was said here, KDB is better all round player but for us Bruno is near perfect. Also I think Pep would love him.

Ddannidom

Apples and oranges for me. Due to their roles in their respective teams I don't think they are comparable. Bruno is more of the goal scoring attacking mid whereas De Bruyne is the more creative or the play making attacking mid.

I think the two will compliment each other ala Da Silva and De Bruyne in their dominant days while Da Silva provided the goals, De Bruyne dominated the assist chart.

I think we are building the same thing with Pogba in the team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Are we just ignoring the fact De Bruyne is always crocked? In terms of pure technique De Bruyne is different class but you can't rely on him to be fit and firing at any given point.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you take all restrictions off De Bruyne, you get the Wolfsburg player; it seems that he is being assessed by his remit under Pep, whereas Bruno is being assessed as a free spirit who has far less restriction placed on him by his manager.

De Bruyne has proven he can do Bruno’s job as well as play in more positions; he’s also technically superior.

As things stand, De Bruyne looks like he’s winding down in terms of dynamism and will have to modify his game in line with that - his power play is diminishing and it will take away from his game because one of his greatest attributes was doing everything at full speed I.e. the initial burst away from his man into an all out sprint into a release of the ball at, or close to, his top speed. This was his Kaka’ or Nedved athletic blessing that meant even as an athlete he was hard to keep up with, let alone for his man knowing that his chance to block the incoming pass or shot was fading with every stride.

From this point onward, I’d take Bruno as it’s arguable he’s even hit his peak, whereas for De Bruyne, it’s questionable whether his has already come and gone. At De Bruyne’s peak, however, he’s a level above Bruno on account of what he’s done across platforms/teams as well as [always] being the better player on a technical level.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No

The only difference is that Bruno will sometimes feck up the simple pass, with De Bruyne such occasions are rarer (have to be in Guardiola's team). You expect more variance when going for the through ball or deep cross.

Eddy_JukeZ

People here think KDB rarely misplays a pass. Do you even watch him play?

Their passing completion stats since Bruno has been in the Prem.

That's ignoring context and the difference in roles/style of the team in possession.

I think KDB is in general less erratic than Bruno with his passing, but it's not the massive difference people think it is in this thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People here think KDB rarely misplays a pass. Do you even watch him play?

Their passing completion stats since Bruno has been in the Prem.

That's ignoring context and the difference in roles/style of the team in possession.

I think KDB is in general less erratic than Bruno with his passing, but it's not the massive difference people think it is in this thread.
Have to admit that I too had this misconception.

Eplel

KDB was better 2-3 years ago when he was on his peak. Last 2 seasons Bruno has been better.

Tony247

No

The only difference is that Bruno will sometimes feck up the simple pass, with De Bruyne such occasions are rarer (have to be in Guardiola's team). You expect more variance when going for the through ball or deep cross.
I really doubt people make such comments really watch matches or go by general reputation and match highlight! Nevertheless I like KDB very much. Big fan. I am always a big fan of risk taking playmakers. Don't care if they lose the ball, as long as they help win the matches for the team. They can feck 10 attempts, simple or complex, but then that one pass will find the player at right time right place, or they will pop out of somewhere and bang a goal and send the stadium crazy. That is football. KDB and Bruno are skilled as well as risk taking playmakers. Both are enthralling to watch.

"have to be in Guardiola's team" :) you (and few other) can't be serious with this assessment. Guardiola's Bayern team had muller and robben in this team. Both below 80% pass completion.

Anyway, just for fun, watch and count KDB's fecked up simple forward passes in this video.

mancan92

KDB is a better all round player and has passing ability that Bruno simply doesn't come near to having. He's faster and stronger than Bruno as well so is better on the dribble. He has also shown to taken a team to win the league multiple times.

Bruno has great mentality and probably a better shot. But that's pretty much the only thing he does better than a top de bruyne. Only problem is de bruyne been injured consistently for the last 18 months. Whereas Bruno has played every match.

Alot of people here need to remember de bruyne has been injured so comparing their stats now is pretty silly.

RooneyLegend

Bruno has a tendency to misplace easy passes in a way KDB doesn't. We watch all United games and you can't tell me you don't notice that he goes through games where he fails to complete even easy passes.

RepardReece

KDB is a better all round player and has passing ability that Bruno simply doesn't come near to having. He's faster and stronger than Bruno as well so is better on the dribble. He has also shown to taken a team to win the league multiple times.

Bruno has great mentality and probably a better shot. But that's pretty much the only thing he does better than a top de bruyne. Only problem is de bruyne been injured consistently for the last 18 months. Whereas Bruno has played every match.

Alot of people here need to remember de bruyne has been injured so comparing their stats now is pretty silly.
Passing stat percentages can still be compared even if he has had injuries. Don't get me wrong - I do believe De Bruyne's passing is better than Bruno's. But people like yourself exaggerate this fact when they are actually very similar in successful passes completed and other areas too.

At Man Utd, I'd take Bruno without a second thought. As good as KDB is, he would not have had the impact Bruno has had on our club. Not many players in football currently could have done.

mancan92

Passing stat percentages can still be compared even if he has had injuries. Don't get me wrong - I do believe De Bruyne's passing is better than Bruno's. But people like yourself exaggerate this fact when they are actually very similar in successful passes completed and other areas too.

At Man Utd, I'd take Bruno without a second thought. As good as KDB is, he would not have had the impact Bruno has had on our club. Not many players in football currently could have done.
I'm not comparing their ability to give the ball away. I'm talking about the kind of passes de bruyne is executing compared to Bruno. De bruyne simply has a far bigger range of passes in his arsenal.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@Tony247

What I meant to say is that Pep gives his midfielders and attackers more leeway in the final 3rd or delivery into the final 3rd, where mistakes can be covered for. He has much less tolerance for that in defense/midfield.

KDB is a midfielder but most of his risk-taking is done in the final 3rd, or delivery into the final 3rd. When playing conventional passes in midfield to keep possession he's way more careful.

Anustart89

Ah yes, because actually getting on the pitch to help the team over the past 18 months is completely irrelevant to a discussion as to who performs better on the pitch.

Tony247

There shouldn't be a comparison actually. Both are absolute joy to watch in different set up that suit their personality, more than playing style. But if you give me only one choice to have either prime KDB or prime Bruno then:
1) if my team has well established star performers all over and I need a creative playmaker to complete the jigsaw puzzle, then KDB all the way. I will pass over Bruno.
2) But, if my team is in rebuild, a player around whom I want to build the fuure, and I want my team to push couple of levels up to be title challengers then there is no better player than Bruno.

In short, to get through tough times I want a Bruno to be by my side.

mancan92

Ah yes, because actually getting on the pitch to help the team over the past 18 months is completely irrelevant to a discussion as to who performs better on the pitch.
Are we talking about the players now this second? Or are we talking about the players at the level we have seen them at for a long time?

What's the point of this discussion if next week Bruno gets injured and can't play? Then de bruyne is fit? What is the point of that discussion.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Since arriving to the PL I think Bruno has comfortably been the better player. I actually still believe KdB's best season was 2014/15 when he had 30 goals+assists for Wolfsburg and took them to 2nd place.

James Peril

Obviously a topic like this appears when Bruno scores a hat-trick and he’s the best player in the world, but the next game highlights why it is silly to compare him to Kevin de Bruyne. My humble opinion is that the latter is one of the best in the world and would get into every team, Bruno would not - he didn’t even start for Portugal a month ago. Where KdB dictates 9 out of 10 games, Bruno often disappears completely like yesterday. Sorry to say, but if you vanish every other week, you’re not at the level of de Bruyne. Bruno is one of the best impact players in the world for sure, but it is very frustrating to see him when he is not scoring or assisting. Remember the game against lowly Villarreal? No chance in hell de Bruyne does not impact proceedings more, either as an attacker or as a dostributor of the ball. He changes dynamics like few other players, he is also a way different player - so the comparison is off from the start.

That being said, not being as good as the ginger Belgian is hardly an insult is it! Bruno is also a magnificent player, on his day, when the game is for him.