Fernandinho, Man City's unsung hero?

matt23

He's a jammy git though isn't he? Always gets away with a couple clear yellow card offenses before the ref bothers having a word. Wonderfully apt for a Pep team.

Outstanding player

RochaRoja

Early 30s isn't old ffs :lol::lol:
I'm much fitter and more "physically dominant" now than I was in my twenties.

Granted I wasn't a professional athlete and lived on a diet of döner kebabs but the point still stands.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm much fitter and more "physically dominant" now than I was in my twenties.

Granted I wasn't a professional athlete and lived on a diet of döner kebabs but the point still stands.
Exactly for me too. I think with the advancements in science, methods of recovery, yoga, players who are 30-32 years can be as physically as great as in their 20s

It’s the Caf kouroux! Once a player has hit his late 20’s, his career is basically over! :lol:
I know, you would think with a player like Giggs at our club (even Carrick or many other examples)), people would learn that hitting 30 isn't an issue.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Magnificent player.
Occasionally has a stinker if he sees too much of the ball and is pressed hard. Can turn into trouble when in possession.
Will have longer than average career due to his healthy lifestyle and calm demeanour.

Gordon S

Exactly for me too. I think with the advancements in science, methods of recovery, yoga, players who are 30-32 years can be as physically as great as in their 20s

I know, you would think with a player like Giggs at our club (even Carrick or many other examples)), people would learn that hitting 30 isn't an issue.
It is an issue for some players. Watching Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Falcao and Sanchez play like they’re 50 despite being 30 has scared a lot of us.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
It is an issue for some players. Watching Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Falcao and Sanchez play like they’re 50 despite being 30 has scared a lot of us.
As I said in my post a player’s lifestyle and mindset can extend his career considerably.
Injuries and nurture can also play a big part in this.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What the man below said.
As I said in my post a player’s lifestyle and mindset can extend his career considerably.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And Hummels and Boateng both are around 30 and are already showing signs of decline.

thepolice123

He almost like Nigel De Jong v2. Good player but he is not exactly a world beater. He shines in big games like this where most of the plays are contested in his area, and Redcafe just laps it up. Then again, Redcafe loves a tenacious DM.

Gordon S

Absolutely, with some good genes and healthy lifestyle a player can play at high level until they're 40, like Giggs, Maldini, Sensini, Carboni, Zanetti, Donato.
But these guys are certainly not the norm. My feeling is that most players starts fading around 32-34.
I think it's perfectly fair to consider 32 old for a player, even if they just might keep going at a good level for another 3-4 years.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He almost like Nigel De Jong v2. Good player but he is not exactly a world beater. He shines in big games like this where most of the plays are contested in his area, and Redcafe just laps it up. Then again, Redcafe loves a tenacious DM.
He’s undoubtedly world class though.

RochaRoja

Much more intelligent and far better on the ball than De Jong.

Could not imagine De Jong being a first XI player for Guardiola.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Teflon Don. Should be starting games on a yellow card.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Teflon Don. Should be starting games on a yellow card.
Are you Jim Beglin? I watched the game on a stream tonight and the single most important thing for our Jim, was Fernandinho and yellow cards. Bizarre.

Are you Jim Beglin? I watched the game on a stream tonight and the single most important thing for our Jim, was Fernandinho and yellow cards. Bizarre.
It's true though. It's amazing what he gets away with.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have heard people use 'press resistant' to describe players who are good on the ball but this guy is card resistant. How he gets away with so many blatant fouls just highlights how poor refs are.

haram

You would think he now has a reputation for getting away with not being booked yet the shite refs still let him get away with everything.

Kostov

He's a very good midfielder, and his passing and driving with the ball forward is pretty good but overlooked because he's such a prick. A proper grade 1 cnut.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He's a very good midfielder, and his passing and driving with the ball forward is pretty good but overlooked because he's such a prick. A proper grade 1 cnut.
This. He's been brilliant for them and one of their most important players, if not their most important.

I don't like him one bit though because I think he's also a dirty cnut - though I quite enjoy RAWK losing their minds over him :lol:

Kostov

This. He's been brilliant for them and one of their most important players, if not their most important.

I don't like him one bit though because I think he's also a dirty cnut - though I quite enjoy RAWK losing their minds over him :lol:
I bet you won't enjoy him when he plays against us. :lol:

Then and there I would miss Fellaini the most, to come on and properly stick an elbow in his ugly face. :wenger:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I bet you won't enjoy him when he plays against us. :lol:

Then and there I would miss Fellaini the most, to come on and properly stick an elbow in his ugly face. :wenger:
I fecking hate it when he plays against us, or anyone else, bar the Scousers in all honesty. The way he just keeps escaping booking after booking :mad:.

Kind of the same way I loved watching Diego Costa when he played them. :lol: Winded them up, no end.

Kostov

I fecking hate it when he plays against us, or anyone else, bar the Scousers in all honesty. The way he just keeps escaping booking after booking :mad:.

Kind of the same way I loved watching Diego Costa when he played them. :lol: Winded them up, no end.
Don't worry all cnuts meet their end one way or another, just a matter of time really.

Last night was ridiculous, and the charade that moron of a referee created when he finally gave him the card was pathetic. He calls him 2-3 to come over so he can show him the card, and Fernandinho just ignores him, fixing his socks and staring at him. :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He’s a well sung, unsung hero though isn't he? Doesn’t everyone know how important he is to City.
Yep, the majority should know. But tbf, the thread was created over a year ago, when City's attack was getting all the plaudits for blowing everyone out of the water. But yeah, even then his importance was immense, albeit slightly overlooked - especially in the media.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Don't worry all cnuts meet their end one way or another, just a matter of time really.

Last night was ridiculous, and the charade that moron of a referee created when he finally gave him the card was pathetic. He calls him 2-3 to come over so he can show him the card, and Fernandinho just ignores him, fixing his socks and staring at him. :lol:
:lol: zero respect

I have heard people use 'press resistant' to describe players who are good on the ball but this guy is card resistant. How he gets away with so many blatant fouls just highlights how poor refs are.
The Brazilian Casemiro :wenger:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You would think he now has a reputation for getting away with not being booked yet the shite refs still let him get away with everything.
My view on this has always been that it seems to be that referees "accept" that Fernandinho's role is to stop attacks by any means necessary and that therefore fouling is essentially seen as a legitimate part of his game. Players like David Silva or Aguero always seems to get carded as soon as they foul to stop an attack when normally Fernandinho would escape punishment, and that's because the ref sees it as though they're transgressing the boundary of what is expected of an attacker or playmaker. It sounds a bit weird but I genuinely believe it's a factor in it, and that attackers are more likely to be carded for their first foul than a defensive midfielder is (and it's also worth considering that defensive midfielders make a career out of it, and will master the art of fouling in a manner that is less likely to receive a card).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

They had their turn. Lucas Leiva was equally invincible to bookings. Or he'd be on a booking, commit a handful more fouls and rarely ever see that 2nd yellow.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Committed 3 fouls last night and probably got booked for accumulation more than anything. None of which you could call proper professional fouls. Gueye commited a foul on Fernandinho for the free kick which Laporte scored from which was more of a yellow card than any Fernandinho committed.

tomaldinho1

Their fans probably say the same about Herrera for us to be fair

the_irish123

I mean he kinda has to foul a lot, his midfield partners are literally David Silva or Bernardo most of the time, talk about overload he has to manage defensively. City will have a really hard time replacing him, because they will not find someone with the same athleticism and the passing game to match Guardiola's style. They could find passers like De Jong who don't have the tenacity, or pure defensive midfielders like Alan but without the passing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Magnificent player.
Occasionally has a stinker if he sees too much of the ball and is pressed hard. Can turn into trouble when in possession.
Will have longer than average career due to his healthy lifestyle and calm demeanour.
Yep, that usually happens in World cup knock out games. :lol:

Not hugely popular in Brazil.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Their fans probably say the same about Herrera for us to be fair
As a neutral I'd say Matic is more obvious comparison. Nothing nasty (think that high one the other day v Leicester was just mis timed) but lots of little trips and pull backs 30-40 yards from goal so after third he gets a yellow but rarely sent off.

wr8_utd

:'(
City should take a risk of playing Otamendi in defense and move this guy back to MF. Their midfield is just unbelievably open withou him and Rodri is an astonishing downgrade.