Fernandinho's Munich air disaster twitter post?

Grande

Tbh, I wish half the people contributing in this thread took a week (no, not a second) to really ponder the question: How do I know if I would be part of a lynch mob or not?

If you find yourself arguing vehemently that (Blast)(Ball)(Plane)(Laughing smiley)+picture of winning a header and picture of the plane celebration CAN IN NO POSSIBLE WORLD mean ‘I scored a cracking goal with a flying header, me who has almost never scored a header in my career!’ ...

If you were vehemently against Cavani being punished for ‘offence regardless of intent’, and now vehemently want the FA to use his punishment as a precedent for all future cases ...

If you have spent your whole adult life reading watcing your particular sports team, reading historical background and talking with people obsessed with the same sports club, and you cannot believe other people with no particular interest in this sports club have not memorized dates of events concerning this sports club that took place in a different continent, thirty years before you were born ...

... then you might have a good chance of finding yourself in a lynch mob one day, under unfortunate circumstances.
This not knowing the date is nonsense. It’s all over social media and internet in the week leading up to it. It’s not as if he was asked a question in the summer about when was the Munich disaster.

As has been said in this thread his account is run by a social media team, and if you can’t see that a plane, explosion and laughing emoji has never been used in a tweet before but is used around the time of Munich memories and can’t see that as more than a coincidence and not some city runt having a sly ambiguous Dig that can’t be proven, then I’d say you’re just as likely as getting caught putting your head in the sand over an incident as a lynch mob would possibly form over
Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant and no one really knows. What we do know is he’s brought the game into disrepute and caused offence on the anniversary of a tragedy.

Would Man Utd possibly be waiting to see what the FA or city come up with before commenting?
Well, that’s one way taking note of a suggestion literally and backwards at the same time.

Doracle

It also suggests there's nothing to it.

The Sun (that would be The Sun) trying to stir up shit - nobody picks up on it because there really isn't anything to pick up on.

A number of United fans online going crazy because they think it's plausible that a prominent City player would deliberately mock Munich in a Tweet from his official account.

And then doubling down, in various ways, by insisting the tweet is outrageous even if he/they/whoever didn't mean it - 'cause...Cavani.
I think a lot of people are having some difficulty with the unbelievable coincidence of an explosion, plane and laughter emoji being in a tweet from a City player on the anniversary of Munich. I’d agree with you that I think he’s unlikely to have himself posted it but it does seem plausible one of his PR team might have thought it was “funny”. I’m personally just about prepared to swallow it being an astounding coincidence but I can fully see why others might think it’s stretching plausibility.

As for Cavani, on the face of it this is similar. He has posted something (seemingly) with one meaning which can quite easily be construed, without explanation, to have another, deeply offensive, meaning. Following the FA’s approach to Cavani’s case, Fernandinho is guilty regardless of his intention as people will have found it offensive and should, at the very least, be investigated. Obviously that approach is utterly wrong but it’s not unreasonable to expect similar standards to be applied to a post that may be laughing at the horrible deaths of former players to one that might be racist.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Obviously that approach is utterly wrong but it’s not unreasonable to expect similar standards to be applied to a post that may be laughing at the horrible deaths of former players to one that might be racist.
But how do you go about doing that?

Cavani used a specific term which could be interpreted as racist. According to the FA. They have now set a precedent: If a player uses that term in reference to someone in the future, that player will receive a ban (like Cavani did). And the intention behind it...is irrelevant (as established by the Cavani case).

Now - all of the above is absolutely idiotic. But that's not the point here.

The point, rather, is this: If the FA were to find Fernandinho's post potentially offensive - regardless of the intention behind it - what precedent would that set?

Precisely what would it be that nobody else could tweet without risking a ban?

Hughie77

Yes I would actually be surprised if he knew the date by heart. Why would he? Do you know the date that the Chapecoensce crash happened? I couldn’t even give you the month it happened even though it was global news and happened in the last 5 years. Honestly, I couldn’t even give you the date of the Hillsborough disaster (other than its in April?) even though it’s something I’m very aware of and it had a lot of developments in the last few years.

If you asked any City player what date the crash happened a few weeks ago(I.e not close to the date) and I bet you only one or two could tell you the exact date. It was a terrible tragedy but it happened 63 years ago. None of them were alive and virtually all of them have no connection to Manchester before they joined City. If Fernandinho was raised in Manchester I’d be more sceptical.
Well like I said just ask him nothing wrong in asking him. If he comes out with a explanation all well and done. But he hasn't neither has anyone so we have to just except that this was a very very close coincidence. But behind closed doors he needs to be told how it looks. Never mind hes Brazillian so we give him the benefit of the doubt. Nothing was or will be done about it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
not sure what they can charge him with. Being an arsehole isn't against FA rule (if he did indeed do it on purpose: I haven't seen the clip so can't comment on that)
They’ll probably get him on the old get out clause of ‘bringing the game into disrepute’. That’s usually what they accuse people of when it’s hard to nail them to a specific charge.

DuruttiColumn

Not sure how I feel about a lot of posts in this thread. It’s feels a bit like redandwhitekop levels of victimhood. I hope our fanbase isn’t becoming like theirs...
He clearly didn’t mean it to have any reference to Munich, stop being bloody daft.

DuruttiColumn

Lads, what more likely?

He scored a bullet header in training and did a celebration, got a picture taken and someone uploaded it without realizing how some loons would interpret it online.

OR

he and his social media team, FOR A LAUGH, decided, ha! Let’s mock the Munich air disaster of 1958 and really stick to United fans!!! That would be great!

Please, get a grip. This is embarrassing.

Reactions: Rood

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Lads, what more likely?

He scored a bullet header in training and did a celebration, got a picture taken and someone uploaded it without realizing how some loons would interpret it online.

OR

he and his social media team, FOR A LAUGH, decided, ha! Let’s mock the Munich air disaster of 1958 and really stick to United fans!!! That would be great!

Agreed...

Heardy

Lads, what more likely?

OR

Exactly. It’s fecking baffling to see people making excuses for what is absolutely cnutish behaviour.

cyberman

Lads, what more likely?

OR

I think Jesus returning to Earth is more likely than Fernandinho scoring a bullet header to be fair.

Bebe

Tbh, I wish half the people contributing in this thread took a week (no, not a second) to really ponder the question: How do I know if I would be part of a lynch mob or not?
A very good point, and all too relevant in matters beyond football in today's world.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Lads, what more likely?

OR

Here's the thing, you're absolutely right, but I suspect most of the people this is aimed at know that deep down inside, but just want to be upset about something new because that's just the social media thing to do.

DuruttiColumn

Here's the thing, you're absolutely right, but I suspect most of the people this is aimed at know that deep down inside, but just want to be upset about something new because that's just the social media thing to do.
Yep, youre right there. I suppose this is the modern way of following football? It’s not a great look though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lads, what more likely?

OR

He’s been in England a long time now.

You’d like to think it’s a very horrible coincidence, maybe he celebrates with the aeroplane all the time - but even if he didn’t post it himself the media team surely need to be a bit more clued on. That’s their job after all!

Unfortunately for Fernandinho precedent has been set with Cavani, doesn’t matter if it was accidental if it’s offensive.

Amir

He’s been in England a long time now.
So what? Do young people in England - not United fans - really remember by heart that the Munich disaster happened on February 6?

Unfortunately for Fernandinho precedent has been set with Cavani, doesn’t matter if it was accidental if it’s offensive.
Fortuantely for him nothing is going to come out of it because there's a limit to stupidity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So what? Do young people in England - not United fans - really remember by heart that the Munich disaster happened on February 6?

Fortuantely for him nothing is going to come out of it because there's a limit to stupidity.
What do young people have to do with it? He’s the captain of city and their most experienced player, he would definitely be aware of Munich.

You’d think city’s PR team would make sure that under no circumstances would they post pictures of him doing the fecking aeroplane with explosions in the caption?! It seems absolutely brain dead.

Obviously it’s pretty impossible to prove his motive, but it’s a massive coincidence if not intentional.

Whether he’ll get banned depends on how much of a stink is kicked up.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Something to
It is very obviously not "accidental". It was clearly a deliberate act, either by Fernandinho or whatever lacky he has running his social media accounts.
It might be obvious to you, but this thread clearly shows that there are a variety of viewpoints, and to others it’s ‘obviously’ an accident. So use of the word obvious is fairly meaningless here. What you mean is that you can’t/won’t see that there is another possibility. Doesn’t make you right.
What do young people have to do with it? He’s the captain of city and their most experienced player, he would definitely be aware of Munich.

You’d think city’s PR team would make sure that under no circumstances would they post pictures of him doing the fecking aeroplane with explosions in the caption?! It seems absolutely brain dead.

Obviously it’s pretty impossible to prove his motive, but it’s a massive coincidence if not intentional.

Whether he’ll get banned depends on how much of a stink is kicked up.
Not much of a stink is being kicked up though, for good reason. It’s probably a sensible test to apply to ask yourself what people without an obvious bias (City fans, Utd fans) think.

Amir

I'm sure many footballers outside of Manchester will be aware as well. I doubt many would walk around on February 6 2021 remembering that this is the 63rd anniversary and acting upon it. It just wouldn't be on their minds as it has little to do with their lives.

Maticmaker

The fact that no major media outlet has picked up on this seems to suggest it won't be looked into either way. After the Cavani post, it was on Sky sports news within minutes.
Agreed, this is one of the main issues. City, the club, and its players can do what they like, nobody cares, or gives a 'sh**, its not newsworthy for most of the media; whereas with United, the club and its players can't, because the world and his wife will get upset and its sell copy all over the world!

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Agreed, this is one of the main issues. City, the club, and its players can do what they like, nobody cares, or gives a 'sh**, its not newsworthy for most of the media; whereas with United, the club and its players can't, because the world and his wife will get upset and its sell copy all over the world!
Yeah you're right. The media is against us and no one else. The same way that Liverpool, City, Arsenal & Chelsea fans think the exact same.

Or maybe this has not been picked up because it's such a non-issue, and only bias United fans determined to find an agena are seeing it any other way?

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Lads, what more likely?

OR

close thread/ it's beginning to smell like RAWK
Also promote this man

Infra-red

It might be obvious to you, but this thread clearly shows that there are a variety of viewpoints, and to others it’s ‘obviously’ an accident. So use of the word obvious is fairly meaningless here. What you mean is that you can’t/won’t see that there is another possibility. Doesn’t make you right.
I can see that there is another possibility - a representative of a football club posted pictures on social media of aeroplanes exploding and laughing faces at the same time as his arch rivals were publicly commiserating the anniversary of a famous air disaster that claimed the lives of their players and staff - and this was purely coincidental.

That explanation stretches credulity.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeah you're right. The media is against us and no one else. The same way that Liverpool, City, Arsenal & Chelsea fans think the exact same.

Or maybe this has not been picked up because it's such a non-issue, and only bias United fans determined to find an agena are seeing it any other way?
To be fair If you don't think that the media are more interested in Utd than any other club in the world you frankly live under a rock. That doesn't mean that its always overwhelmingly negative, but it does mean that a story (either negative or positive) about Utd will generate more views/clicks/subscriptions, that's factual. Add in the fact that people generally in society have more prosperity towards negative articles and stories and its pretty easy to put 2+2 together to realise that Utd do receive a greater level of scrutiny compared to other clubs. Just because some rival fans think the world revolves around them, doesn't change the fact that factually Utd are a much larger club, with a far more significant fanbase (and therefore media audience). Honestly, I'm amazed this point is even argued these days.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
To be fair If you don't think that the media are more interested in Utd than any other club in the world you frankly live under a rock. That doesn't mean that its always overwhelmingly negative, but it does mean that a story (either negative or positive) about Utd will generate more views/clicks/subscriptions, that's factual. Add in the fact that people generally in society have more prosperity towards negative articles and stories and its pretty easy to put 2+2 together to realise that Utd do receive a greater level of scrutiny compared to other clubs. Just because some rival fans think the world revolves around them, doesn't change the fact that factually Utd are a much larger club, with a far more significant fanbase (and therefore media audience). Honestly, I'm amazed this point is even argued these days.
Obviously United get more press due to the size of the club. The point I was replying to suggested that City players can do anything and nobody gives a shit. It's just not true is it. If Sergio Aguero or De Bruyne posted the same comment that Cavani made then it would cause the same uproar. Look at what happened when Bernando Silva sent that pic to Mendy. But apparently City players can do what they like and 'nobody gives a shit'. It's a victim mentality that certain fans are adamant to believe.

Certain factions of fans seem to relish in the idea that their club is being scrutinised & targeted by the media as if it's part of some wider conspiracy that everyone is against us.

Darlington Padgett

Lads, what more likely?

OR

The exact same thing happened to Cavani and he got a ban. He's played in the league long enough to know he shouldn't be doing that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Obviously United get more press due to the size of the club. The point I was replying to suggested that City players can do anything and nobody gives a shit. It's just not true is it. If Sergio Aguero or De Bruyne posted the same comment that Cavani made then it would cause the same uproar. Look at what happened when Bernando Silva sent that pic to Mendy. But apparently City players can do what they like and 'nobody gives a shit'. It's a victim mentality that certain fans are adamant to believe.

Certain factions of fans seem to relish in the idea that their club is being scrutinised & targeted by the media as if it's part of some wider conspiracy that everyone is against us.
My point is that while there isn't so much a conspiracy, simple supply and demand dictates that Utd and its players are more scrutinised than their counterparts. I don't for one second believe that rival players can get away with everything but I do believe Utd players are forced to maintain higher standards of professionalism to be viewed the same was as players at other clubs. I'm not so sure if the Cavani case happened at City it would have had the same coverage personally, and frankly, the Bernado Silva thing proves that, as what he did/said was genuinely racist and really he got off very lightly. The Cavani incident indicates there was a bit of a witch hunt in play.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
My point is that while there isn't so much a conspiracy, simple supply and demand dictates that Utd and its players are more scrutinised than their counterparts. I don't for one second believe that rival players can get away with everything but I do believe Utd players are forced to maintain higher standards of professionalism to be viewed the same was as players at other clubs. I'm not so sure if the Cavani case happened at City it would have had the same coverage personally, and frankly, the Bernado Silva thing proves that, as what he did/said was genuinely racist and really he got off very lightly. The Cavani incident indicates there was a bit of a witch hunt in play.
I don't follow football media as closely as I used to, but from what I saw re. the Cavani incident, it was largely unnanimous amongst all fans in that everyone felt the ban was harsh and unfair when he clearly didn't mean any bad intent. Silva's post was also not intended to cause offence but was still a racial stereotype and even though Silva wasn't branded a terrible person (definitley ignorance more than any attempt at racism) it was largely accepted that a ban was acceptable and his post was an example of casual racism. Cavani got a longer ban, sure, and the two should have been equal if the same standards were applied. I don't think this has anything to do with United being held to a higher standard though.

El Zoido

Lads, what more likely?

OR

It’s a pretty insane coincidence though. Don’t think I’ve seen a player do an airplane celebration for two decades, much less tweet the airplane emoji like this. It’s just a bizarre thing to tweet full stop, let alone on Feb 6th. Could have done the tweet without the explosion too. There’s an awful lot of coincidences here. An incredible amount, in fact.

I think what’s more likely is that someone at Man City runs his social media and decided to do it for a craic to see if anyone would notice.

NotThatSoph

It’s a pretty insane coincidence though. Don’t think I’ve seen a player do an airplane celebration for two decades, much less tweet the airplane emoji like this. It’s just a bizarre thing to tweet full stop, let alone on Feb 6th. Could have done the tweet without the explosion too. There’s an awful lot of coincidences here. An incredible amount, in fact.

I think what’s more likely is that someone at Man City runs his social media and decided to do it for a craic to see if anyone would notice.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Everyone knows the sort of dick who does outrageous stuff whilst still leaving just enough plausible deniability in case all hell breaks loose. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what he did here.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'm sure many footballers outside of Manchester will be aware as well. I doubt many would walk around on February 6 2021 remembering that this is the 63rd anniversary and acting upon it. It just wouldn't be on their minds as it has little to do with their lives.
I agree not many players outside of United would think "it's the Munich anniversary" and my gut feel is the person who does his social media thought it was funny but subtle enough to get away with.

But remember Frank Swift died in the crash, a City 'legend'. I'd have thought City would be reminding their players pre the anniversary (1) to be careful (a city mourned, not just a club) and (2) because a respected City player died also.

Could it be a coincidence, yes. Do I think it was (explosion, airplane on 6th Feb), no if I'm honest.

I don't expect the FA to do anything and assuming they don't, the biggest issue I'll have is that I thought the Cavani incident meant that intent was out of the window now (it was "would it likely offend").

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

It does seem like an unlikely coincidence if you say what are the chances of this particular player on this particular anniversary on the disaster. But that feels like a false narrative. There must be 100 or more players/managers who play or have played for City, Liverpool, Leeds (or anyone else who at some point called themselves your bitter rivals). And between them they probably generate a thousand social media posts a week, so the chances of finding one player from that 100 over the course of the last 15 years (or however long social media has existed like this) who has inadvertently generated a terribly timed post is not that small.

Amir

I agree not many players outside of United would think "it's the Munich anniversary" and my gut feel is the person who does his social media thought it was funny but subtle enough to get away with.
It's possible. Certainly a lot more likely than Fernandinho doing it himself, which some people here believe a did.

But remember Frank Swift died in the crash, a City 'legend'. I'd have thought City would be reminding their players pre the anniversary (1) to be careful (a city mourned, not just a club) and (2) because a respected City player died also.
I don't know. You'd rather expect people to show respect anyway towards disasters without being reminded of it or even if no City people were involved.

I don't expect the FA to do anything and assuming they don't, the biggest issue I'll have is that I thought the Cavani incident meant that intent was out of the window now (it was "would it likely offend").
I see a major difference between something that may cause offence 364 days of the year and something that is relevant for one day of the year.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's possible. Certainly a lot more likely than Fernandinho doing it himself, which some people here believe a did.
On this point, does anyone with more knowledge than me about footballers' instagram accounts know if a managed account would be done through the club, or if each player has their own person. Given that players are public figures with their own sponsors, interests, national teams, charity affiliations etc, and frequently move clubs I'd have thought that their online persona would not be run by the club.

UmbroDays

Most of not all footballers have their public accounts managed my social media companies.

You send a photo and the quote and they manage it. Same thing in the music industry too, had some cases where fake DMs were exposed due to 3rd media companies having the login account info.

Especially since he doesn’t talk English, I doubt he posts anything himself.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I can see that there is another possibility - a representative of a football club posted pictures on social media of aeroplanes exploding and laughing faces at the same time as his arch rivals were publicly commiserating the anniversary of a famous air disaster that claimed the lives of their players and staff - and this was purely coincidental.

That explanation stretches credulity.
It sounds bad if you put it that way, but it's not what Fernandinho posted. The emoticons were explosion-football-plane-laughter, in that specific order. Not quite an exploding airplane. Also, the post was accompanied by photos of him doing a heading and doing the airplane celebration. And that's not just semantics.

Also, I myself had absolutely no idea that the Munich date was coming up until someone mentioned it in a newbie thread. That still didn't give me the specific date though, which I learned about only because RedCafe changed colours. I am not a United fan and don't live in Manchester, but so even someone who is pretty active on this forum (also for many years as a lurker) can be ignorant of the date.