Fernandinho's Munich air disaster twitter post?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Based on the sheer absurdity I'm inclined to think unfortunate accident.
This.

If this was intended, then I'd think his PR team is one of those human scum who thinks nothing of making airplane gestures to mock United.

Fernandinho himself is a Brazilian. The Chapecoense crash is relatively recent and I'd think he'd know about it.. I just can't believe someone like that would be so stupid to be making fun of the Munich air crash.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This would be going too far, so anything referencing a bomb or plane could be offensive?

Let's get Tom Jones arrested for sex bomb
Well ultimately he is a footballer.

What is worse? Him talking about bombs and aeroplanes when it has effected so many innocent people (from United legends to innocent people losing their lives in a population) - or Cavani saying a word from his own language that promotes love but some random people think English is the only language in the world sounds like something else in that language so bans him for so many games.

I'm sorry, whether I took it over broad or not, a person promoting love from his language/actions vs a person who promotes a joke against certain areas of the population is two different things, especially when that joke can hurt so many people.

Racism isnt the only way people get hurt or bullied is it?

Even if it was an accident, so was Cavanis so Fernandinho should be taught what he did was wrong. There is the way it directly effects the football population (aswell as friends of family of ex legends) as well as it effecting the standard population who have lost friends and family due to terrorism.

FizzyWomack

Spot on mate. Did you not see what he posted on the 7th Jan? Incredibly bad taste considering people have been killed by stray darts before. Should never post anything with the bullseye emoji without knowing the offence it could cause.
Is your arm okay? Looks like you've pulled it from reaching a little too far with this post.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Based on the sheer absurdity I'm inclined to think unfortunate accident.
My feeling too. It’s too absurd/ridiculous/shocking for it to be anything other than an accident.

But it’s just so bizarre.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
But I’ve been led to believe that account is not run by him, so I’d be inclined to belive some spotty faced little Scrote is trying to be clever
Sure that might be a possibility. Just meant his own culpability is unlikely.

Maticmaker

As has been said in this thread his account is run by a social media team
Presumably it still has name on it, no matter who runs it...'not in my name' if that is what he's claiming... has a new resonance after this!

cvb

Supports
City
Well ultimately he is a footballer.

What is worse? Him talking about bombs and aeroplanes when it has effected so many innocent people (from United legends to innocent people losing their lives in a population) - or Cavani saying a word from his own language that promotes love but some random people think English is the only language in the world sounds like something else in that language so bans him for so many games.

I'm sorry, whether I took it over broad or not, a person promoting love from his language/actions vs a person who promotes a joke against certain areas of the population is two different things, especially when that joke can hurt so many people.

Racism isnt the only way people get hurt or bullied is it?

Even if it was an accident, so was Cavanis so Fernandinho should be taught what he did was wrong. There is the way it directly effects the football population (aswell as friends of family of ex legends) as well as it effecting the standard population who have lost friends and family due to terrorism.
The only way to stop this happening again is to ban emojis.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sure that might be a possibility. Just meant his own culpability is unlikely.
But then it had nothing to do with Fernandinho and giving him a pass, he’s also responsible for what’s written on his account.

I don’t think Fernandinho would write that to be honest even though I know nothing about him, there’s no history of cuntishness as far as I’m aware, but it’s not him writing on the account anyway.

My gripe is probably with our own fans so adamant it meant nothing and everyone is crazy for thinking otherwise when I sure as shit think some young jumped up Bertie would write it with enough vagueness to have a laugh but be able to squirm out of it.

GazTheLegend

Once again I'm gonna ask: what do you think would happen to one of our players if they posted any combination of "9" and "6" for ANY reason on the anniversary of Hillsborough? Even if we'd won 9-nil and they'd scored six goals?

GazTheLegend

I sure as shit think some young jumped up Bertie would write it with enough vagueness to have a laugh but be able to squirm out of it.
Agreed 100%. I don't think Fernandinho wrote it - I think whoever writes his PR on twitter did. And I would not by surprised if it was a Bertie sniggering at himself at how vague and clever he was being about the whole thing (until it was deleted of course, and he got fired)

UmbroDays

Once again I'm gonna ask: what do you think would happen to one of our players if they posted any combination of "9" and "6" for ANY reason on the anniversary of Hillsborough? Even if we'd won 9-nil and they'd scored six goals?
Well it hasn't happened so no point in creating hypothetical situations.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What we do know is he’s brought the game into disrepute and caused offence on the anniversary of a tragedy.
Look, to us - as United fans - the combination "airplane" and "February 6th" posted by a City player screams deliberate mockery at first glance.

At first glance.

Then we need to take a step back and examine matters a little more closely.

ETA

Also, to those who are willing to acknowledge that he wasn't actually referring to Munich - but who still want him banned or otherwise punished: What precedent would that set, exactly?

Don't use airplane emojis on Feb 6th?
Don't use that particular combination of emojis on Feb 6th?
Don't post pics of yourself doing the Ronaldo goal celebration on Feb 6th?

Should any or all of this apply to ALL players in the world - or just Manchester City (throw in Leeds and Liverpool for good measure - though I personally know Bolton supporters who hate United more intensely than any Scouser I've ever met)?

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. I don't think Fernandinho wrote it - I think whoever writes his PR on twitter did. And I would not by surprised if it was a Bertie sniggering at himself at how vague and clever he was being about the whole thing (until it was deleted of course, and he got fired)
That’s my thinking due to the bizarreness of the coincidence, which quite frankly is insane.

My best non informed guess, a City fan is part of the team running his twitter account, he sees the airplane celebration and see an opportunity to play the smartarse, the guys knows it can simply never be proven if it was accidental.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Look, to us - as United fans - the combination "airplane" and "February 6th" posted by a City player screams deliberate mockery at first glance.

At first glance.

ETA

Also, to those who are willing to acknowledge that he wasn't actually referring to Munich - but who still want him banned or otherwise punished: What precedent would that set, exactly?

Should any or all of this apply to ALL players in the world - or just Manchester City (throw in Leeds and Liverpool for good measure - though I personally know Bolton supporters who hate United more intensely than any Scouser I've ever met)?
I am looking. It caused offence

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
the guys knows it can simply never be proven if it was accidental.
If one of his SM people did indeed post this as subtle bantz, you'd have to track down that person and make a case against him or her individually (which would be very hard in itself).

You certainly can't conclude, generally, that what happened in this case is problematic in and of itself. That would be utterly absurd.

And it is not comparable to the Cavani incident. That was absurd too (in my opinion). But different in the sense that he used a word which the FA deems problematic in and of itself (regardless of context and intention). Posting pictures and (combinations of) emojis is not the same - obviously not.

If one of his SM people did indeed post this as subtle bantz, you'd have to track down that person and make a case against him or her individually (which would be very hard in itself).
No you don’t though, the account owner is responsible.

Thing is, if the training pic was from that very day, whoever posted it will just say it was a super unfortunate coincidence and you can’t prove either way.

Which makes me think it was from that day, because a pic from another day and the subtleness of it disappears.

I do think some clever dick saw an opportunity where he could never be proven to have been anything other than extremely unlucky.

You just have to move on. Hopefully the poster has been told to be very careful in future which is all you can ask here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I am looking. It caused offence
It's possible to be offended by something which reasonable people do not consider offensive (looking at all sorts of angles).

If that happens, you might consider whether you're not being...unreasonable.

Infra-red

It is very obviously not "accidental". It was clearly a deliberate act, either by Fernandinho or whatever lacky he has running his social media accounts.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's possible to be offended by something which reasonable people do not consider offensive (looking at all sorts of angles).

If that happens, you might consider whether you're not being...unreasonable.
I agree with you but the precedent you mention had already been set with cavani, where he didn’t mean to cause offence or actually cause offence to many but still brought the game into disrepute. Sorry to bring Cavani incident up again but he wasn’t done for being racist as far as I’m aware, just the unknowingly bringing the game into disrepute bit.

who ever posts on Fernandinhos account, it’s Fernandinho accountable for it, and whether we agree or not, that post was tasteless and terrible timing and very likely did cause offence to many, meaning to or not.

It’s an unprovable situation so guess it just gets swept away anyway. Someone’s sat there now either relieved they’ve got away with something they didn’t know anything about or quite smug, I don’t think anyone really knows.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No you don’t though, the account owner is responsible.
Yes, fair enough - ultimately he is (I agree with that on principle).

But if you conclude (as some on here seemingly do now) that what was posted is offensive in and of itself, you're going down the road to sheer absurdity at breakneck speed.

Like I said above - what precedent would that set?

Either you conclude that someone deliberately posted that combination of emojis - in connection with the pictures also posted - in order to reference Munich in a malicious manner. Which would be nigh on impossible to prove - barring some scenario where the perpetrator bragged about doing it to witnesses, or otherwise provided obvious clues about his or her intention.

Or - you let it go.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

At first glance.

ETA

Same here, what is that all about ?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sorry to bring Cavani incident up again but he wasn’t done for being racist as far as I’m aware, just the unknowingly bringing the game into disrepute bit.
Yes - but he used a specific word. The precedent set would be: Don't use the word "negrito" on social media - or you'll get the FA on your arse.

In my opinion that is insane - it's PC gone mad, it's...whatever you want you call it. I don't agree with it at all. But it's clear cut.

What would the precedent be here?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yes - but he used a specific word. The precedent set would be: Don't use the word "negrito" on social media - or you'll get the FA on your arse.

In my opinion that is insane - it's PC gone mad, it's...whatever you want you call it. I don't agree with it at all. But it's clear cut.

What would the precedent be here?
I was unaware the word cavani used had been used in the past and banned by the FA

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Same here, what is that all about ?
Well, I've always assumed it's general dislike of the big 'un (United under Fergie were undoubtedly the most hated team in the country - because...that's just the way it is) combined with relative proximity (perceiving themselves to be local rivals, after a fashion)...the latter enhancing the former, so to speak.

But I've also heard tales of United hatred on their part going much further back than the SAF era - so who knows.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I was unaware the word cavani used had been used in the past and banned by the FA
It hadn't, as far as I know.

But it was used in the much scrutinized Suarez-Evra affair, thus gaining a negative connotation, being perceived in a certain light in England...and that was, I take it, the background from the FA's perspective.

Again, I don't agree with them - not in the slightest.

But "negrito" is neither here nor there. For one thing you can't use one absurdity as justification for advocating further absurdities. And for another, it would be much harder - technically speaking, so to say - to set a precedent in this, current case.

Absurd as the Cavani ruling is, the reasoning is simple enough: That word is potentially offensive, so do not use it.

What would the reasoning be here? Airplane emojis are potentially offensive when posted on Feb 6th? The specific combination of emojis used is potentially offensive (when posted on Feb 6th)? Or...what exactly? Surely you see how this turns absurd (even more absurd than the Cavani business) very quickly?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It hadn't, as far as I know.

But it was used in the much scrutinized Suarez-Evra affair, thus gaining a negative connotation, being perceived in a certain light in England...and that was, I take it, the background from the FA's perspective.

Again, I don't agree with them - not in the slightest.

But "negrito" is neither here nor there. For one thing you can't use one absurdity as justification for advocating further absurdities. And for another, it would be much harder - technically speaking, so to say - to set a precedent in this, current case.

Absurd as the Cavani ruling is, the reasoning is simple enough: That word is potentially offensive, so do not use it.

What would the reasoning be here? Airplane emojis are potentially offensive when posted on Feb 6th? The specific combination of emojis used is potentially offensive (when posted on Feb 6th)? Or...what exactly? Surely you see how this turns absurd (even more absurd than the Cavani business) very quickly?
I agree with all that to be honest ( still don’t think negrito was used in Suarez case but I don’t know or really care to find out). I just think it’s gash that offence was caused by this fernandinho post whether it was meant to or not and our own fans are shooting it down as obviously coincidence when it’s clearly not.

I also misread your earlier post re the precedent ‘would be’ as ‘woulda been’ set or something like hence my reply so sorry for that.

Dinghy

Thing is, if the training pic was from that very day, whoever posted it will just say it was a super unfortunate coincidence and you can’t prove either way.

Which makes me think it was from that day, because a pic from another day and the subtleness of it disappears.
Seems like the images have been removed from gettyimages.

Dan_F

Probably the same thing that’s happening now, except it would be Liverpool fans crying about it, and the vast majority of our fan base would be telling them it wasn’t intentional.

POF

My feeling too. It’s too absurd/ridiculous/shocking for it to be anything other than an accident.

But it’s just so bizarre.
I completely agree. I don't believe it was intentional just because doing so would be so ridiculous. It's Kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse logic.

JadoreSox

It look's bad. Give him a chance to explain himself and if he has a reasonable explanation I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Based on the precedent set with the Cavani incident he should be punished regardless as this is far more open to be interpreted offensively. That said just because bad precedent has been set doesn't mean I want it repeated, the intent should be considered.

Some of the apologia on here is embarrassing though, the idea his 'team' did it without his consent or someone who's played in Manchester for nearing a decade is oblivious to the date is dumbfounding.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The fact that no major media outlet has picked up on this seems to suggest it won't be looked into either way. After the Cavani post, it was on Sky sports news within minutes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What the actual feck. If this is true then he deserves whatever ban Cavani got ten-fold.

Watch the FA do nothing though.
not sure what they can charge him with. Being an arsehole isn't against FA rule (if he did indeed do it on purpose: I haven't seen the clip so can't comment on that)

Offsideagain

Honestly get a grip you cannot really believe he did that to mock Munich.

It's embarrassing United fans trying to use this to get a guy banned
I’m afraid you are missing the point. Imagine this. United fan posts a tweet in 15th of April with imojis of a crowd, fences, ambulances, beer and a laughing face. All hell would break out. The FA are more concerned about making money from players making innocent tweets which they interpret as racist. Racist is the wrong term, they mean colour prejudice, as with Cavani and Silva at City. Both were fined, both banned. Fernandinho has been at City for 7 years, not three weeks. He sure as hell knows about the Munich crash. Former City players were in that crash too. If you type ‘crash’ on here, a flame appears.

The FA are a bunch of hypocrites and they should grow a pair and sanction the arrogant twat. Now if I has said the arrogant Brazilian twat, they would leap into action to silence the woke brigade.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Hang on, if Cavani us responsible for his Social Media then so is he.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The fact that no major media outlet has picked up on this seems to suggest it won't be looked into either way.
It also suggests there's nothing to it.

The Sun (that would be The Sun) trying to stir up shit - nobody picks up on it because there really isn't anything to pick up on.

A number of United fans online going crazy because they think it's plausible that a prominent City player would deliberately mock Munich in a Tweet from his official account.

And then doubling down, in various ways, by insisting the tweet is outrageous even if he/they/whoever didn't mean it - 'cause...Cavani.

arnie_ni

Look back through the quotes. See how many mentions of Cavani are on a thread with nothing to do with Cavani. See how many mentions of the victims there are on a thread that should be entirely to do with the tragedy. It's easy to call something rubbish, doesn't make you right though.
There's a separate thread for the victims and the condolences etc.

Get out of here with that shit

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The fact that no major media outlet has picked up on this seems to suggest it won't be looked into either way. After the Cavani post, it was on Sky sports news within minutes.
I err on the side of pessimism but my gut feeling tells me it's because one was about racism and this one about something generally less defined (general offense?). It's a hard scoop even though the content is (arguably) more vindictive.

Last edited: