Fernando Llorente

Allas8

Nonsense story. Transferwindow is closed, we can't register new players for PL. Sometimes clubs get special permission to sign Goalkeepers, but Llorente aint a GK.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Nonsense story. Transferwindow is closed, we can't register new players for PL. Sometimes clubs get special permission to sign Goalkeepers, but Llorente aint a GK.
If players weren't registered to any clubs previously, Premier League teams can sign them and register them up until the player registration window closes on 30th August.

As Llorente was released by Spurs at the end of last season, he falls into that category.

Allas8

If players weren't registered to any clubs previously, Premier League teams can sign them and register them up until the player registration window closes on 30th August.

As Llorente was released by Spurs at the end of last season, he falls into that category.
Ok, guess I stand corrected

greendevil

Like others have pointed out if Sanchez goes we will be short of Forwards and its a big ask on the young players coming through to step up week in week out, would be a good addition and offers a different style of play.
Stupid decision to not replace Lukaku or Sanchez as well as not replacing Herrera so its come to something like this.

Bwuk

Chong and Gomes arent centre forwards. What if Marcus and Tony get hurt? We shouldnt even be selling Alexis ffs.
We have Rashford, Martial and Greenwood who can cover CF. We play one upfront.

How many sides who play 1 upfront have 4 centre forwards nowadays?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Fellaini is 10x the player Llorente is, yet Fellaini is still a shite footballer. If we are looking for a targetman, just get someone from the nba. Teach him how to chest and head the ball and we will have Llorente equivalents.

Should have gone for Mandzukic instead if he was available.

beingshe7don

Although he may off us something different but a two-year contract for someone who hasn't really done much in the PL is a bit too much. That would only mean that for the next two years, we don't intend on signing any more strikers which is a bit of a risk.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Incorrect there sorry. Would be different if he were contracted.

Gopher Brown

Fellaini is 10x the player Llorente is, yet Fellaini is still a shite footballer. If we are looking for a targetman, just get someone from the nba. Teach him how to chest and head the ball and we will have Llorente equivalents.

Should have gone for Mandzukic instead if he was available.
I agree, selling Fellaini then signing Llorente makes no sense. He has 2 league goals in the last two seasons.

It's like signing Benteke to replace Lukaku.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is finished. We might as well bring Cole out of retirement while at it

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As long as both parties understand he should be below Greenwood in the pecking order and his wages aren’t ridiculous, it would be far from the dumbest move this club has made in the last six years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Cheap, useful, best option you have if you want to add a different type of player to your attack. Great professional and likely wouldn't make a fuss about seeing very limited minutes. Also not the kind of player who'd take minutes away from James/Greenwood

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Who would he take minutes from then?
Smalling or Jones played at CF in situations were you have to put balls into the box

Also in case you're short on forward options due to injuries/bans

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Smalling or Jones played at CF in situations were you have to put balls into the box

Also in case you're short on forward options due to injuries/bans
So in the former case, literally a few minutes per season, and in the latter case, maybe none depending.

I suppose it might make sense if we let Sanchez go which is probably what we are looking at. But I think I would rather have Sanchez.

Tel074

I think it's something we probably need to do . Not that I want it to happen but we need something for say last 10 15 mins of games when it isn't going to the original plan. No hope would I be looking to give him a 2 year deal but until the end of the season why not

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I didnt want him even 10 years ago.
He was better 7 years ago than 10. He scored 15 goals in the league only 2 years ago but he played almost every match then. Isn't as useful (like any player) if he's only going to play less than 1000 minutes a season and his minutes at Spurs were spread quite thin. Only a 3rd of his matches at Spurs he played 45 minutes or more and of those only 7 were in the league (about 25 minutes per league appearance). Looking at his last season he did have a significant impact for Spurs when given proper time on the pitch which suggests he's not done as a player but I don't see the sense in him for United as he doesn't fit. Would be more like the plan B Fellaini style that many of us loathe.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Looking at his last season he did have a significant impact for Spurs when given proper time on the pitch which suggests he's not done as a player but I don't see the sense in him for United as he doesn't fit. Would be more like the plan B Fellaini style that many of us loathe.
He kinda had an impact but he was also absolutely dreadful a solid 99% of the time and I breathed a massive sigh of relief when he left the club. Sure, the odd goal went in off his arm or was nodded in from a set piece but from open play he was largely a fecking mess, and he missed plenty of chances. He got 1 league goal and 2 off set pieces vs Dortmund & City, but I guess you can't really argue with the importance of the latter goal.

He's big and can be a threat if you whip a decent ball in. That's about all I can say a 34 year old Fernando Llorente.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's big and can be a threat if you whip a decent ball in. That's about all I can say a 34 year old Fernando Llorente.
You could also say that his presence on the pitch completely turned both games against ajax on their head

Btw, he's plan B in the sense he'd be the guy you bring on the bench if 2 or rashford/martial/greenwood are injured/banned at the same time, plus league cup/EL group stage

Literally his role would be making up the numbers, replacing sanchez

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You could also say that his presence on the pitch completely turned both games against ajax on their head

Btw, he's plan B in the sense he'd be the guy you bring on the bench if 2 or rashford/martial/greenwood are injured/banned at the same time, plus league cup/EL group stage

Literally his role would be making up the numbers, replacing sanchez
How did his presence on the pitch turn the first game against Ajax on its head? In the second leg he was a big body that Ajax obviously couldn't handle, sure.

I know what Llorente is, I watched him play .. he was mostly awful but big, tall players still have a role as an alternative, I get that. But so many times we turned to him and looked terrible and the opposition dealt with him easily but nobody remembers those times. We brought him on as a sub so many times and it failed nearly all the time to have any impact, and as a Spurs fan I won't forget those times.

He also gets very, very rusty if you don't play him for a while and his all round game goes to shit, so you're basically down to 10 unless you win a set piece.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How did his presence on the pitch turn the first game against Ajax on its head? In the second leg he was a big body that Ajax obviously couldn't handle, sure.
They played you off the park in the first half. The moment you started going route 1 using him as a target man you took over. In both legs

United's options at striker right now are rashford, martial and greenwood. Greenwood's 18(?). Perhaps they could adapt James in an emergency, both he's also 21, first season in PL, and not a striker

Having Llorente is definitely better for them than not having Llorente. Obviously he'd have to be fairly cheap in terms of wages, too.

Again, he makes sense for them to make up the numbers if sanchez leaves. Otherwise i doubt they'd take him

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They played you off the park in the first half. The moment you started going route 1 using him as a target man you took over. In both legs

United's options at striker right now are rashford, martial and greenwood. Greenwood's 18(?). Perhaps they could adapt James in an emergency, both he's also 21, first season in PL, and not a striker

Having Llorente is definitely better for them than not having Llorente. Obviously he'd have to be fairly cheap in terms of wages, too.

Again, he makes sense for them to make up the numbers if sanchez leaves. Otherwise i doubt they'd take him

I think Ajax were just weirdly incapable of dealing with that kind of tactic/player. They're pretty much the exception because 90% of the time we tried it, it didn't come off. In England every side is equipped to deal with long balls to a big target man.

Though I do agree that as a 'make up the numbers' sorta' deal it makes sense for United. I think it kinda speaks volumes though that despite our current options and the fact he got a couple of key goals, we still decided to let him go. United have deeper pockets though so no real issue either way.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I know what Llorente is, I watched him play .. he was mostly awful but big, tall players still have a role as an alternative, I get that. But so many times we turned to him and looked terrible and the opposition dealt with him easily but nobody remembers those times. We brought him on as a sub so many times and it failed nearly all the time to have any impact, and as a Spurs fan I won't forget those times.

He also gets very, very rusty if you don't play him for a while and his all round game goes to shit, so you're basically down to 10 unless you win a set piece.
I was happy to ignore the Everton fans when they warned us about Lukaku. I’m not about to make the same mistake again.

Don’t believe for a second we’ll sign him, though. We’re not that daft.

Robertd0803

1-0 down with 10 minutes to go against a parked bus.... Why not?

He'll never start so I don't mind it. Plan B.
Exactly. No transfer fee and surely wont be on insane wages so not the worst idea in the world. (Admittedly its a daft situation to begin with but looking for the positives).

Plus doesnt he score a lot of late goals?