Fernando Llorente

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Pointless signing in my eyes, very short term fix. would much rather start to integrate James, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong in those attacking positions, and his signing would block a way forward for one of these. Let's use this season to get as many first team minutes into these lads as possible. I still think we have enough in our squad to obtain s top four finish, and hopefully some excellent cup runs. To win a trophy this season would be a bonus, but I'm hopeful that we can give all the cups a good go, with Garner, Laird and Williams also getting some minutes this season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How did his presence on the pitch turn the first game against Ajax on its head? In the second leg he was a big body that Ajax obviously couldn't handle, sure.

I know what Llorente is, I watched him play .. he was mostly awful but big, tall players still have a role as an alternative, I get that. But so many times we turned to him and looked terrible and the opposition dealt with him easily but nobody remembers those times. We brought him on as a sub so many times and it failed nearly all the time to have any impact, and as a Spurs fan I won't forget those times.

He also gets very, very rusty if you don't play him for a while and his all round game goes to shit, so you're basically down to 10 unless you win a set piece.
I was sort of arguing that you didn't really watch him play, at least not for Spurs. ~1000 minuted of playtime is very little playtime. Last season that's less than 20% of the time. You can't expect a player to perform at all when these are the minutes given. He got a run of 4-5 games last season and he scored once and got 3 assists in that time.

In a similar manner Spurs didn't change much how they played with him on the pitch so he didn't really fit which is what I also think about him as a possibility for United. I just don't see the fit.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I was sort of arguing that you didn't really watch him play, at least not for Spurs. ~1000 minuted of playtime is very little playtime. Last season that's less than 20% of the time. You can't expect a player to perform at all when these are the minutes given. He got a run of 4-5 games last season and he scored once and got 3 assists in that time.

In a similar manner Spurs didn't change much how they played with him on the pitch so he didn't really fit which is what I also think about him as a possibility for United. I just don't see the fit.
True. But I think at the age of 34 he's just too immobile and static for top sides, no matter how much time he gets. He was effective for Swansea because they relied heavily on set pieces through Sigurdsson so he had that connection.

We really did change when he got on the pitch. Especially in those Ajax matches and when he was used late in games, went very direct and tried to force the ball in to him. Was a source of massive frustration to me a majority of the time because most sides dealt with it easily and it was predictable.

AaronRedDevil

Look we need more players. We are barebones as it is. One player gets injured. Kids from the u16's have to replace him. Only reason why I dont want Sanchez to go. But whatever with him. In saying that, really don't want this guy, no point. Greenwood couldn't possibly be worse then him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
True. But I think at the age of 34 he's just too immobile and static for top sides, no matter how much time he gets.
Very true.

Was a source of massive frustration to me a majority of the time because most sides dealt with it easily and it was predictable.
Understand this part, similar with Fellaini. It's not just about the player himself but also how the other players on the pitch change their style. At this point in Llorente's career he'd only be effective at this level against teams like Ajax who have a tough time dealing with his kind of player because their squad isn't set up for that kind of football. That's not the case for the PL which has been dealing with the top tier strikers of his ilk since forever.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why are people believing this :lol:

Adam-Utd

I really don't believe it but just saying it sounds cray. He's the antithesis of what our current transfer policy is...
Exactly. nobody worth listening to is saying this is a thing, so nothing to worry about.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't really see the point of signing him due to him being good in the air and on set pieces as our set pieces are generally rubbish and his often do we ever whip a decent ball in ?

Scholsey2004

Not really a fan but we do need a back-up striker. A two year deal seems excessive though since we'll surely want to replace him long before that and he's 34 anyway.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Why sell Fellaini to bring in Llorente doesn’t seem like what we’d do

Beagle

If Inter only want to pay 60k of Sanchez wage and we pay this guy any more than that, we may as well just keep Sanchez.
Is it though? Keeping Sanchez shows the new kids that you can be the worst player in a squad while getting paid the highest. Not a good example.

Not advocating signing Llorente though. But Sanchez must be eradicated at all cost.

SungSam7

Can he control a pass?

Yes?

We are improved already. Sign him up 5 year with an option for a 6th. Have to be low wages though do let’s say 250k per week.
Frightening thing is, we all know you're being sarcastic but it scares me that it would be something the club would do at this stage....

SaintMuppet

Frightening thing is, we all know you're being sarcastic but it scares me that it would be something the club would do at this stage....
We do seem to be rather reactive of late. I’m pretty sure we are not going to be as stupid as I suggested but I have learnt never to be surprised...

I’m flabbergasted at the lack of forethought that appears (I may be proved wrong) to have gone into our midfield and right side attack. How can the club not see what nearly everyone else does???

fallengt

Can we still sign him?
If we do nothing but crossing the ball cluelessly, might as well get someone like Llorente

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Would be the definition of a panic buy (well, acquisition technically since he'd be on a free). Absolute donkey.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He really isn’t what you need, he needs to play regularly to have any sort of impact.
You say that and yet despite looking totally off the pace last season he still managed to get crucial goals for Spurs

But yeah I think all things being considered I'd if preferred to have kept Fellaini if in less than 12 months later someone had told me Llorente would be the lump up front for us

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You say that and yet despite looking totally off the pace last season he still managed to get crucial goals for Spurs

But yeah I think all things being considered I'd if preferred to have kept Fellaini if in less than 12 months later someone had told me Llorente would be the lump up front for us
He did but he could have got a whole lot more, he’s a good footballer and had his uses but I feel to be a reliable goal scorer he needs to play consistently.

0le

How did his presence on the pitch turn the first game against Ajax on its head? In the second leg he was a big body that Ajax obviously couldn't handle, sure.

I know what Llorente is, I watched him play .. he was mostly awful but big, tall players still have a role as an alternative, I get that. But so many times we turned to him and looked terrible and the opposition dealt with him easily but nobody remembers those times. We brought him on as a sub so many times and it failed nearly all the time to have any impact, and as a Spurs fan I won't forget those times.

He also gets very, very rusty if you don't play him for a while and his all round game goes to shit, so you're basically down to 10 unless you win a set piece.
This is similar in some ways to the issue with using Lukaku. People here go on about his goals but somehow forget everything else about him was shit.

0le

Yeah, goals are overrated.
So you want Lukaku to lead the line over Martial then? The same Lukaku who can't score against any of the top six teams, the same Lukaku who was overweight and refused to lose weight and the same man who released running stats because of his own insecurity? His goals were important, but he was also a part of his own downfall here. People criticise Pogba for bad attitude, but Lukaku was the real bad apple. I am absolutely delighted he has fecked off.

izzydiggler

So you want Lukaku to lead the line over Martial then? The same Lukaku who can't score against any of the top six teams, the same Lukaku who was overweight and refused to lose weight and the same man who released running stats because of his own insecurity? His goals were important, but he was also a part of his own downfall here. People criticise Pogba for bad attitude, but Lukaku was the real bad apple. I am absolutely delighted he has fecked off.
There was a proper arrogance during the summer surrounding Lukaku going, that we didn’t need to replace him as we’d be able to slot in a 17 year old kid with a handful of minutes and it’ll all be good, a lot saying it would even be an improvement.

Look, I’m not Lukaku’s biggest fan and there were definitely issues but despite them, he is a top 20 PL scorer of all-time, with a lot of goals coming at West Brom and Everton...scoring goals isn’t easy and letting a proven scorer leave without replacing is just farcical. And just to write him off as easy to replace and a donkey etc that you read on here is disrespectful IMO. Again, he didn’t help himself I’d agree but his record over the years was why we paid such a fortune for him and goals are what win you matches and we let a lot go out of the door.

Adam-Utd

The dream is over for some of you guys :lol: He's signed for Napoli.