Ferran Torres / signed for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingshe7don

Ferran Torres García (Valencian pronunciation: [fəˈran ˈtorez]; born 29 February 2000) is a 6'0 Spanish professional footballer who plays for Valencia CF as a right winger.

Style of Play
Regarded as a talented and highly promising young offensive winger in the media, Torres has been described as a traditional wide midfielder, due to his work-rate and penchant for running to the touchline, although he is also capable of cutting inside towards the centre of the pitch; due to his role, nationality, and playing style, Simone Lorini has likened him to Joaquín. Torres is known in particular for his pace, creativity, technique, and his close control at speed, which enables him to take on opponents and overload the flanks, while his height, athleticism, and heading ability also make him a strong aerial presence. Although he primarily plays on the right, he is capable of playing anywhere across the attacking line. In 2018, Spanish football journalist Guillem Balagué noted that Torres "is a dribbler, fast on the wing, can play on either wing, and he has got ability and intelligence. He can also play inside if needed, so he is a modern winger." The Valencia academy director of recruitment, José Giménez, instead stated: "He's powerful, quick, steady with the ball at his feet and strong in the air. He's unpredictable. When he's running with the ball at his feet he can go on inside or outside his man because he is two-footed. He can cross, finish and shoot."

Just in case, Sancho is out of our budget and we are still looking to add a RW, Torres is quite an explosive right winger that we could have a look at.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/premier-league/648089/man-utd-transfer-ferran-torres-valencia/

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2020/04/07/ferran-torres-linked-with-manchester-united-switch-213823/

LVGSdive

In that video he looks like a Sancho clone. Same dribbling style, same decision making.

beingshe7don

If Torres goes to Dortmund for 40m and we pay Dortmund, 120m for Sancho. There's no question that Sancho is better than Torres but is he 80m better?

Torres seems to be a little more explosive than Jadon and also he's pretty good with both feet whereas Sancho is more of a right footer. I think either of those two players would work well for United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Torres goes to Dortmund for 40m and we pay Dortmund, 120m for Sancho. There's no question that Sancho is better than Torres but is he 80m better?

Torres seems to be a little more explosive than Jadon and also he's pretty good with both feet whereas Sancho is more of a right footer. I think either of those two players would work well for United.
Personally I couldn't care less. Sancho is already much more proven in a major league and has been comfortably better than Torres. Sancho right now is 80m better than Torres with the added bonus of him being English.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho obviously is the dream and the one all the hype is about for us, as it should be. If we fail to get him, then this guy really does look quite good. Between Sancho, Chiesa and Ferran Torres, we surely have to solve our right wing issue for good this next window. There's quality options that fit the bill of exactly what we need, but none quite like Sancho (with him being the best young English talent in the world, something Sir Alex always sought to bring in).

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Sancho is more refined. Plus with sancho, you are probably getting a lifer, being English and all. If this guy becomes a worldie, no question the Spanish two will come calling and he'll most likely leave

Kostov

Except it does not work that way does it? Sancho by the looks of it, will go down as one of the best players of his generation, and at the very top those kind of players are worth much more than the other world class players, in the long run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Except it does not work that way does it? Sancho by the looks of it, will go down as one of the best players of his generation, and at the very top those kind of players are worth much more than the other world class players, in the long run.
Yes, you're paying a premium for talent that's more proven and hence celebrated. With Sancho, while there's no guarantee for any player suceeding at your club, you know that he's performed to an exceptional level putting up staggering numbers in a big league. With other young talents, there's much bigger question marks, and hence there has to be a significant difference in price that can't put down to a comparison of mere natural gifts as if it's FIFA/PES. And then there's the fact that he's English which no doubt is inflationary in itself.

Ekeke

Torres is a good player, his progress has been better than Soler who we were linked to a lot when he broke through a few years ago. In fact Torres took his place on the right of midfield and now Soler gets some gametime on the left instead.

He's obviously nowhere near Sancho's level and comparisons with Sancho wont do Torres any favours.

Torres would be one of many players we could sign that would immediately improve our proper right wing options over Mata, Lingard, James and Pereira. Although he's one of the younger players that would make that improvement.

However he isnt so good that Greenwood, if he continues his great goalscoring form from the right wing, is frozen out. And thats important in my opinion. Especially in the Europa league where Greenwood is our top goalscorer coming in off the right wing and on the way to becoming our right sided Rashford while the manager wants someone with more physical presence in the striker role.

So having Torres as a proper winger to go around the outside, or Greenwood to come off the right into the middle and get his shots away would be two very good young options where they could both progress instead of Greenwood struggling for starts like if Sancho comes in

I should add that in the last 18 months or so I've gone back to watching Valencia a fair amount of the time so I've seen a lot of Torres.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yes...?

Sancho is the same age as Torres, who has played 88 games for Valencia with 8 goals and 11 assists. Sancho has played 90 games with 31 goals and 42 assists.
——
The pussyfooting around Sancho for his price and whether “he’ll make it in a bigger league” is just barmy. Not only is Sancho the biggest U21 talent in football, he's also genuinely one of the best wingers in world football for the past two years. Guys a phenom.

Ekeke

Yes...?

Sancho is the same age as Torres, who has played 88 games for Valencia with 8 goals and 11 assists. Sancho has played 90 games with 31 goals and 42 assists.
——
The pussyfooting around Sancho for his price and whether “he’ll make it in a bigger league” is just barmy. Not only is Sancho the biggest U21 talent in football, he's also genuinely one of the best wingers in world football for the past two years. Guys a phenom.
Yep. I was concerned at the price after 1 season, but despite a slower start this time around he's followed it up this season by also being devestating. He's proven himself enough

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Sancho is further along in his development. If Torres reaches those heights at Dortmund then one of the major clubs will snap him up for a similar fee in a year or 2.

Dortmund are such a well run club - surely they are due to sign a few duds that will stunt their money making abilities.

arthurka

Yes...?

——
Finally.. If I was ever having doubts spending 100m on a player, I am not with him. The only thing that could possibly ruin him is his ego and injuries, talent or ability is not on that list.

Ekeke

Sancho is further along in his development. If Torres reaches those heights at Dortmund then one of the major clubs will snap him up for a similar fee in a year or 2.

Dortmund are such a well run club - surely they are due to sign a few duds that will stunt their money making abilities.
They have signed duds though if you look at their transfer history. Its just they have a turnover of players and the ones that come good tend to come really really good while the ones they overpaid for and who dont make it are generally forgotten about. Its still a much better success than most but they dont tend to pay such high fees that one or two duds are going to stop them making a profit when one of their young talents makes it big.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes...?

——
That sort of knocked that out of the park didn't it :lol:

While Torres looks a great talent, if I had the choice it would be no contest.

Pep's Suit

According to Cadena Ser Valencia, he's very close to City now. Guess it makes - quite cheap and won't demand regular starts or CL football.

Ace of Spades

Makes sense for City, and they rarely get their attacking players and midfielders wrong, unlike their defenders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A great option for City that. After Sancho he'd be my next choice as a wide player.

Mark Pawelek

Torres is one of the only ones who wont be available unless theres a big offer

He's one of the few they can build the new squad around
He's the only one they'll get decent money for. The rest of their squad are no better than squad level with little potential. Torres has so much potential; I can see us going for him like we did for Martial. His buyout clause is supposedly £87m; but his contract has only 1 year left to run. He'll leave this summer.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Looks like a talent, good replacement for Sane

Onerealunited

Good player. Would really love to see him at this club even if we sign sancho. He could play on the wings Instead of sancho and/or Rashford, it would allow Sancho to play AM some games when Bruno need a rest and would also allow us to give more time as CF to greenwood once Ighalo is gone. We need to have some class substitutes in the bench that can change a game

Ekeke

His contract runs out next year
Why do you think Valencia are doing a big rebuild? To get players like him and Kang-In to want to stay and have a team that can be in the top 3 or 4. If you sell your best young players when you rebuild, you have nothing to build on. By the time any progress is made the 27 year olds etc will be around 30

-Supreme-

Why do you think Valencia are doing a big rebuild? To get players like him and Kang-In to want to stay and have a team that can be in the top 3 or 4. If you sell your best young players when you rebuild, you have nothing to build on. By the time any progress is made the 27 year olds etc will be around 30
This only makes sense if Torres has a long contract but given he will be available for free next year then I don't think they can afford not letting him go even for below his market value.

Ekeke

This only makes sense if Torres has a long contract but given he will be available for free next year then I don't think they can afford not letting him go even for below his market value.
If they cant convince him to sign then obviously yeah. But this is all they can do to try and convince those players to stay.

-Supreme-

If they cant convince him to sign then obviously yeah. But this is all they can do to try and convince those players to stay.
Well given he hasn't signed yet and no indications that he will... surely they aren't naive to think that they would only consider selling him for a big offer as this is what I'm responding to your earlier comment

Ekeke

Well given he hasn't signed yet and no indications that he will... surely they aren't naive to think that they would only consider selling him for a big offer as this is what I'm responding to your earlier comment
We're going round in circles. Valencia have just taken "drastic" action, if the rumours are true. We'll have to see what effect that has and whether the players they dont want to sell want to stay

Pep's Suit

Valencia asking for €40m while City only offer less than a half of that.

Ekeke

Seems like he is better than Jack Grealish and can run as well. Maybe Worth a punt as a backup.
Right now I dont think he is. But Grealish doesnt play on the right wing. Long term maybe

Edit - I'm watching plenty of Valencia again and for me Torres isnt as good as Chiesa yet. But he's younger and perhaps more potential, he has less end product. He's also not as good as Grealish. So Torres is more likely a player you might sign this window but might not look like a great signing for another year or two. Chiesa and Grealish are players who might more likely hit the ground running and perform right away

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Sport Bild: Ferran Torres will be a Man City player. Michael Zorc went to observe him personally and deemed him not good enough to warrant the €35-€40m investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.