Gaming FIFA 20 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

Ole90+3

People knowing its going to be a shit show but conceding that they'll buy it anyway. feck if EA ever needed a competitor it is now. They have it cornered and locked down with the licensing. I don't know if we'll ever see a good football game again.

Even the pros/streamers and gamers who sink 100s of £s into the market every month recognise FIFA 19 as the worst one ever

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
still playing pes 6 when got the time. dabbled with fifa 19/18 and they were fine for the ultimate team mode. just don't like the gameplay. it's not football.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't actually know if I've just made it up, but I'm sure I've read numerous times that the graphics are run from Frostbite and not the actual gameplay, however I could well be wrong as I now can't find anything on it
Wouldn't that be just some horrible edited hacked together version of frostbite, I mean running a game on two seperate engines would be absolutely ridiculous and an even bigger mess than frostbite alone which for all intents on purposes is trash. As someone who works in software dev, the mess of hacking two engines together instead of using one just sounds absolutely insane (so EA are more than likely actually doing that).

As far as I read only the switch version doesn't run on frostbite.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Wouldn't that be just some horrible edited hacked together version of frostbite, I mean running a game on two seperate engines would be absolutely ridiculous and an even bigger mess than frostbite alone which for all intents on purposes is trash. As someone who works in software dev, the mess of hacking two engines together instead of using one just sounds absolutely insane (so EA are more than likely actually doing that).

As far as I read only the switch version doesn't run on frostbite.
Yeah it definitely does sound wrong now, but I know I've heard it before, and judging by the comments in here I'm not alone.

They were supposedly using frostbite for the cut scenes and certain graphics and then a different one for actual gameplay. With FIFA 20 switching over to frostbite fully. Be interesting to see if that's the actual case as we could see the game get worse, with people complaining about the frostbite engine.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah it definitely does sound wrong now, but I know I've heard it before, and judging by the comments in here I'm not alone.

They were supposedly using frostbite for the cut scenes and certain graphics and then a different one for actual gameplay. With FIFA 20 switching over to frostbite fully. Be interesting to see if that's the actual case as we could see the game get worse, with people complaining about the frostbite engine.
Hopefully they can sort something, I'm probably an idiot but I'd say given the recent statement on what they intend to fix, I'm cautiously optimistic for 20.

P-Nut

Hopefully they can sort something, I'm probably an idiot but I'd say given the recent statement on what they intend to fix, I'm cautiously optimistic for 20.
I'm always optimistic, and then I play the demo and think yep, they've nailed this, only for the exploits to come later and all the patches turn it back into the previous fifa

MTF

People knowing its going to be a shit show but conceding that they'll buy it anyway. feck if EA ever needed a competitor it is now. They have it cornered and locked down with the licensing. I don't know if we'll ever see a good football game again.

Even the pros/streamers and gamers who sink 100s of £s into the market every month recognise FIFA 19 as the worst one ever
Its unbelievable that people do so.

Hoof the ball

I never understand it when people talk about various FIFA’s playing better than the current one. They all just feel the same. Even the fabled FIFA 13. Fresh lipstick applied to the same person and presented as a new chick :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously there are always so many complaints about it, but I always get my money's worth with Fifa. Anyone who doesnt spend a stupid amount on Fifa points does. Which is why I have no problem buying it every year.

Carolina Red

Staff
Obviously there are always so many complaints about it, but I always get my money's worth with Fifa. Anyone who doesnt spend a stupid amount on Fifa points does. Which is why I have no problem buying it every year.
My wife preorders it for me every year as a gift for that very reason.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I tend to get my moneys worth.
For about a 2month period, I smash the absolute back doors in of the game.

By the time I get bored, I end up selling my coins. It tends to cover any money spent and most if not all the game so win/win

MTF

I never understand it when people talk about various FIFA’s playing better than the current one. They all just feel the same. Even the fabled FIFA 13. Fresh lipstick applied to the same person and presented as a new chick :lol:
It's mostly those of us who play it more for the competitive aspect than any else. It brings any imbalanced or poorly designed aspects to the forefront and they become more prevalent than otherwise, which makes the game very frustrating.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Will there ever be a FIFA game as good as Pro Evo 2?

They keep shitting them out every year and dont seem to ever get any closer to it.

Ducklegs

I don't actually know if I've just made it up, but I'm sure I've read numerous times that the graphics are run from Frostbite and not the actual gameplay, however I could well be wrong as I now can't find anything on it

Fifa is a frostbite game, it runs completely on frostbite and has since FiFA 17.

What you *do* have most of the time is a separate physics and sound engine underneath.

Frostbite from what I understand has its own physics and sound engines as they have to support its destructive scenery tech snd so on.

As has been said by others, it basically sucks at everything bar Battlefield games because DICE developers actually had a hand in writing it and know whats going on.

P-Nut

Fifa is a frostbite game, it runs completely on frostbite and has since FiFA 17.

What you *do* have most of the time is a separate physics and sound engine underneath.

Frostbite from what I understand has its own physics and sound engines as they have to support its destructive scenery tech snd so on.

As has been said by others, it basically sucks at everything bar Battlefield games because DICE developers actually had a hand in writing it and know whats going on.
So there are 2 engines running simultaneously?

Keefy18

I'm completely out of touch with FIFA Games, last played it 2-3 years ago consistently.

Found out only recently then there's apps to buy / sell / trade whatever you call it for FUT. What absolute b*llicks is this?!

Just play the god damned game and reward players for winning games in the mode. This nonsense of having to be attached to it 24/7 and installing apps to build up coins and your team is ridiculous. It feeds off the addictions of kids and immature teens.

I'm probably old school in that I just want a game that you have to actually play and be rewarded for it.

Coxy

I always buy Fifa - but only when it drops to £30

I only play career mode though, no interest in the other stuff

Affirmation

If they do not revamp Career Mode/Manager Mode I will not be as excited for this FIFA title and may consider not actually purchasing it upon it's release date. It still baffles me that this specific mode has not improved much in over five years or so and it can be argued that it has been neglected and stripped back for a while. Hopefully with this being FIFA 20 and The Journey not returning they can shift the focus to this mode.

Hoof the ball

It's mostly those of us who play it more for the competitive aspect than any else. It brings any imbalanced or poorly designed aspects to the forefront and they become more prevalent than otherwise, which makes the game very frustrating.
Ah I see, so in other words certain editions of the game render game skill of less import due to uncontrollable factors?

Hoof the ball

If they do not revamp Career Mode/Manager Mode I will not be as excited for this FIFA title and may consider not actually purchasing it upon it's release date. It still baffles me that this specific mode has not improved much in over five years or so and it can be argued that it has been neglected and stripped back for a while. Hopefully with this being FIFA 20 and The Journey not returning they can shift the focus to this mode.
I thought the Journey was returning for one last time?

Ducklegs

So there are 2 engines running simultaneously?
Not in the way you phrased it in the post i responded to no.

The “levolution” engine or what it is called these days is part of the overall frostbite engine, its the part of software that handles that particular aspect of the game.

Not like for instance when you load up some games and get the power by “x engine” splash screen, and then on the following splash screen get things like Havoc, or Physx, etc.

dove

Street mode confirmed. Has a few seconds of in game footage and looks same as every year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Including fifa street finally is cool. Hope it's more than just little skill games.

Wayne's World

Street mode confirmed. Has a few seconds of in game footage and looks same as every year.

Is this going to be like online pro clubs but 5 v 5 instead? I'd definitely buy it If it included online mode to play with your mates and against other people

Dolf

From the trailer. You really get the impression that this will be the year they fix the gameplay:lol::lol::lol:
:lol:

Well, that's it then. This will be Fifa 20's big change. They never do more than one big change because people will buy it anyway. Maybe some tweaks to change it back to the way a previous Fifa was so gameplay is more enjoyable. Watch them add 3 more career save slots (which they removed in Fifa 19) and claim it as a new feature.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Never understand these reveal videos for video games when they do not do any proper game reveal as such. It's just pointless people doing tricks and acting cool and tough. Show more gameplay you cnuts, it's a video game after all!

Bojan11

Apparently the fifa street mode isn’t going to be 5vs5 like clubs. It’s like regular seasons where you just play one other player. Ffs EA you only had one job.

MTF

Ah I see, so in other words certain editions of the game render game skill of less import due to uncontrollable factors?
Exactly. For me a big one that started in FIFA 17, became even stronger in 18, and as far as I can tell has continued in 19 (I didn't play it) is that if you just leave the AI to defend on-the-ball for you they pretty much stick in front of the dribbler and don't get beat by changes of direction. So while in FIFA 16 and before I could create a lot of openings by changing direction when receiving a pass, trying to isolate a pacy winger and go 1v1, etc. now players can just do nothing and their defender will basically not get beat.

In their latest Pitch Notes regarding FIFA 20 they've acknowledged that its something they want to address for the next game, but its ridiculous that it was in the game for 3 editions (and not 16 and before). They did it on purpose to be a crutch for weaker players. And there's numerous other examples across other fundamentals (passing, defending passes, shooting, etc) that are similar. It became very random as to who would win a game, and that's not how competitive gaming should be. I expect to lose 50% of the time if matched against people of the similar level, but I also expect it to be because they were better at the game.

Bojan11

Exactly. For me a big one that started in FIFA 17, became even stronger in 18, and as far as I can tell has continued in 19 (I didn't play it) is that if you just leave the AI to defend on-the-ball for you they pretty much stick in front of the dribbler and don't get beat by changes of direction. So while in FIFA 16 and before I could create a lot of openings by changing direction when receiving a pass, trying to isolate a pacy winger and go 1v1, etc. now players can just do nothing and their defender will basically not get beat.

In their latest Pitch Notes regarding FIFA 20 they've acknowledged that its something they want to address for the next game, but its ridiculous that it was in the game for 3 editions (and not 16 and before). They did it on purpose to be a crutch for weaker players. And there's numerous other examples across other fundamentals (passing, defending passes, shooting, etc) that are similar. It became very random as to who would win a game, and that's not how competitive gaming should be. I expect to lose 50% of the time if matched against people of the similar level, but I also expect it to be because they were better at the game.
They saying the tackling system will be reworked. It needs big rework because forget about the AI tackling for you. What about when you actually tackle and it bounces around whilst the opponent somehow manages to get it. That’s just ridiculous and has been there for years. You get punished for actually defending. They need to nerf contain and second press where if you hold those the AI does not tackle. Where as I can understand if some one jockeys and there’s a tackle because that person is controlling the player manually.

MTF

They saying the tackling system will be reworked. It needs big rework because forget about the AI tackling for you. What about when you actually tackle and it bounces around whilst the opponent somehow manages to get it. That’s just ridiculous and has been there for years. You get punished for actually defending. They need to nerf contain and second press where if you hold those the AI does not tackle. Where as I can understand if some one jockeys and there’s a tackle because that person is controlling the player manually.
Yeah, I was just focusing maybe on the aspect that most frustrated me 17 onwards. But totally hear what you're saying about the effect of manual tackles that result in a better situation for the attacking player right after a successful tackle.

It's overall so frustrating that the game is in the weakest state its been in in 4 years, and yet its making more money than ever because there's a group of people that treat like a card playing game and are happy to pay $60 a year just to for the right to play the card game. There's no incentive to change as far as EA are concerned. In fact if I were a purely intellectual and dispassionate producer in charge of the game I might say "don't change a thing" given the financial success as is.

PlayerOne

They're talking about it on E3 now. They haven't shown anything anything yet, just talking loads of crap. This is going to be bad.

dove

They're talking about it on E3 now. They haven't shown anything anything yet, just talking loads of crap. This is going to be bad.
Yeah, they didn't show any gameplay at all apart from a few second clips :lol: Not a good sign.