Gaming FIFA 21

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah you’ll enjoy it. First impression is that it’s honestly the best gameplay in many years. You never know what they’ll do with updates, but the general consensus is that the community loves it as well. I‘ve played around 60-70 games already, most of them with a friend. I love the new co-op feature in FUT.
The best FIFA gameplay in a very long time.
Cheers guys, think I'll probably pick it up when I get a ps5, no point buying now as I can't transfer between xbox and ps5

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Surprising. Played it for the first time last night and thought it was crap. Players floating around like they're ice skating.
Not to be offensive, but if you call it shit after just a couple of games you never gave the game a fair chance anyway. There was a world of difference between game 1-5, 6-20 and 20+ for me.

I guess there's a larger difference now between what Fifa is and what football is. It definitely seems to be going towards benefiting the competitive e-sports side of things.
I think you can play beautiful and realistic football with the game, this year has especially great potential in that regard with the new R1 dribbling and creative runs, I think the far greater issue is that the people who play the game have little interest in playing "proper" football, they just want to win and are more than happy to break the game in order to achieve that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not to be offensive, but if you call it shit after just a couple of games you never gave the game a fair chance anyway. There was a world of difference between game 1-5, 6-20 and 20+ for me.

I think you can play beautiful and realistic football with the game, this year has especially great potential in that regard with the new R1 dribbling and creative runs, I think the far greater issue is that the people who play the game have little interest in playing "proper" football, they just want to win and are more than happy to break the game in order to achieve that.
Yeah that's always been a part of it. I tried Ultimate Team on Tuesday with my team featuring titans such as Troy Deeney, Steve Cook and Wayne 'Desperate to learn about the Nazis' Hennesey. First game a guy had Neymar, Martial and someone else up front, like the game isn't even technically out yet man what the feck. He spent the whole game doing skill moves when he was nowhere near one of my players.

If someone does a skill move to get past me, then sure. It's still annoying because it's a set animation and I have no way of really anticipating which one it will be but at least it's for a purpose. When they spend the game dicking about doing it though it just ruins it and makes it boring. I lost 4 - 1 obviously. Also I had selected FUT Friendly! I literally picked that option because I wanted a nice relaxed game (assuming there being no consequences to losing would mean people played more generously) and this kid is playing like it's the final of a tournament.

I played another game after and absolutely battered a guy to the point where I felt sorry for him and 'accidentally' let him score :lol: I don't really give a shit about winning at all costs. I just want to enjoy it. It seemed like it was this guys first game and I thought he'd be chuffed if he got a goal.

Still waiting for the squad update and then I'll give career mode a try.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@BenitoSTARR its rubbish why did you lie :(
What I experienced in the beta was tonnes better than the current pre release.

As a career mode player it is still tonnes better than FIFA 20 and for the first time I feel I have complete control over player development regardless of age as it’s more performance based and linked to development plans.

It felt a lot more responsive in beta than the current version but learn to play the game and it’s fun.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
If PES ever gets pro clubs. I’m moving immediately.
It has Pro Clubs already - Team Play Lobby in the kick off menu. There are numerous leagues you can join.

-----------------------------------------

Will edit this response rather than making a second comment but for the people that are asking about PES 21 vs FIFA 21 - I've played c. 50 hours of each so far and they're massively different. FIFA is a sports-based arcade game whereas PES is a football simulator. If PES had the menus, game mode simplicity of FIFA it'd be hands-down the best sports game available. Unfortunately lag in MyClub, a small player base and an odd approach to Divisions makes the online offering sub-par.

If anyone has more specific questions about the two games, tag me and I'll be happy to answer. (Play for an Esports team in PES, Div1 FUT player in FIFA)

Last edited:

Nickosaur

Yo @VivaObertan how is master league in PES these days? I accept it won't be as good as the golden days of PES2 and 3 but damn even if its half as good id be tempted.

Do you have it for PC? How easy is it for a simpleton to download the right licenses?

I'm not too bothered about the online features/multiplayer tbh, I've always loved just loading it up for a few games vs the AI or career mode.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The ML in Pes is still pretty underwhelming. Being a Pes gamer and looking at Fifa's career mode I'm generally jealous of what EA have done.

So, if you think Fifa's career mode is poor ,then wait til you get to Pes. Oh boy.

Nickosaur

The ML in Pes is still pretty underwhelming. Being a Pes gamer and looking at Fifa's career mode I'm generally jealous of what EA have done.

So, if you think Fifa's career mode is poor ,then wait til you get to Pes. Oh boy.
Ah that's a shame. Especially as PES Master League used to be so addicitive.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Outside of gameplay and in game visuals Pes is rather basic and ,frankly, dated in its overall content.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Yo @VivaObertan how is master league in PES these days? I accept it won't be as good as the golden days of PES2 and 3 but damn even if its half as good id be tempted.

Do you have it for PC? How easy is it for a simpleton to download the right licenses?

I'm not too bothered about the online features/multiplayer tbh, I've always loved just loading it up for a few games vs the AI or career mode.
I have it for PC - it's easy to download the kits, badges, stadiums, names if you're on PC (slightly more complicated on PS4 but still easy to do). Unfortunately you can't do this if you play on XBOX.

If you're looking for an offline football experience on PC, I'd suggest you play PES with all the patches installed. It looks incredible and plays so responsively. The AI feels more authentic and you don't need to conform to a meta to win like in FIFA. They have Master League, Become a Legend plus different cup competitions you can take part in.

hmchan

Huge problem. I've purchased FIFA21 from Steam and finished downloading the game. When I press "play", it links to Origin which then shows "Activation Required" and asks me to activate game with my product code. Problem is that I do not have a product code and I cannot launch the game. Anyone has the same problem and any solution?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm going to make a list of all the dumb shit I experience and keep it updated so future me doesn't fall into this trap again.

Dumb shit

• Squad updates not even out on release day so nobody can start Career Mode. But an issue with FUT? Already fixed.

P-Nut

I'm going to make a list of all the dumb shit I experience and keep it updated so future me doesn't fall into this trap again.

Dumb shit

• Squad updates not even out on release day so nobody can start Career Mode. But an issue with FUT? Already fixed.
Been that way since I can remember, was a joke 6/7 years ago, it's just taking the piss now in an age of instant updates.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Dumb shit

:lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Dumb shit

• They’ve updated the squads. Cavani doesn’t have a photo. Also why Galbraith but no Mejbri?
  • Youth players still all have their shirts tucked in. Who does this?

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Retraining positions is nice. Set Brandon Williams to train as a RB.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So I guess this is my lucky year and I've got 85 rated Okocha from SBC. How do the prices of these lower rated legends usually develop? I never played FUT enough to bother with them, so I'm at a loss.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dumb shit

• They’ve updated the squads. Cavani doesn’t have a photo. Also why Galbraith but no Mejbri?
Such a minor thing, but it would bug the feck out of me when PES did this back when they were kings. I edited so many players to have untucked shirts each year :lol:

P-Nut

So I guess this is my lucky year and I've got 85 rated Okocha from SBC. How do the prices of these lower rated legends usually develop? I never played FUT enough to bother with them, so I'm at a loss.
Usually highest near the start, barring when a legend is needed in an sbc, but wouldn't expect one of them for a while.

Have to cavaet this with the fact I didn't play last year's

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which SBC did you do? Honestly I hate SBC business, I just want to get good players and play the fecking game on FUT.

hmchan

Dumb shit

The squad update is completed about 2 hours ago.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Which SBC did you do? Honestly I hate SBC business, I just want to get good players and play the fecking game on FUT.
Basically all the advanced ones and the latest marquee matchups. But in the end it's just luck, this year was quite good for me with Okocha and Hazard, last year I got fairly little until I packed Neymar shortly before I quit anyway.

Eddy_JukeZ

I guess there's a larger difference now between what Fifa is and what football is. It definitely seems to be going towards benefiting the competitive e-sports side of things.
I love football.

I just don't believe it's possible to create a true simulation with the constraints of 2 6 minute halves in FIFA.

The entire complexion of the game would have to change.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
IGN's review for FIFA 21 on Switch is a whopping 2/10.

Aside from up to date squads, this season's kits, and a new start screen, FIFA 21 on Switch is virtually unchanged from FIFA 20 (which was virtually unchanged from FIFA 19 before it) and outrageously priced at $49.99/£44.99. If last year’s release was borderline insulting, this year’s is just plain disgraceful. EA, please do better.