Fifa Arab Cup 2021

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Anyone going to watch this?

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/arabcup

Of course, the household names like Salah, Mahrez are not going to play, but an interesting chance to see other / up and coming Arab players and a few old wardogs.

Our very own Mejbri will be turning up for Tunisia (Arab cup involves the north African teams).

The teams are -

Group A:
Qatar (hosts)
Iraq
Bahrain
Oman

Group B:
Tunisia
UAE
Syria
Mauritania

Group C:
Morocco
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Palestine

Group D:
Algeria
Egypt
Lebanon
Sudan

Match schedule is here and it all kicks off in just over 10 days with Qatar facing off against Bahrain.

the_cliff

Anyone going to watch this?

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/arabcup

Of course, the household names like Salah, Mahrez are not going to play, but an interesting chance to see other / up and coming Arab players and a few old wardogs.

Our very own Mejbri will be turning up for Tunisia (Arab cup involves the north African teams).

The teams are -

Group A:
Qatar (hosts)
Iraq
Bahrain
Oman

Group B:
Tunisia
UAE
Syria
Mauritania

Group C:
Morocco
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Palestine

Group D:
Algeria
Egypt
Lebanon
Sudan

Match schedule is here and it all kicks off in just over 10 days with Qatar facing off against Bahrain.
I would've watched it if the European based players were playing. But the big guns (Algeria, Egypt and Morocco) haven't called up any European based players which makes up a large part of their first team. Am I correct in saying they've called up players from their own leagues ?

The Corinthian

I would've watched it if the European based players were playing. But the big guns (Algeria, Egypt and Morocco) haven't called up any European based players which makes up a large part of their first team. Am I correct in saying they've called up players from their own leagues ?
The majority of the nations have had to because the European based players won't be leaving the clubs at a critical point in the season.

The Corinthian

Interesting to see Mauritania and Sudan included.

This is a first of it's kind right?
There's been versions of it before, but this is the first Fifa organised one. And yea, they play pretty loose with the definition of 'Arab'. Somalia and a few other sub-Saharan nations were in the qualifiers as well.

But I'm glad they're loose with the definition as it means the lesser footballing nations get some time in the spotlight which (for me) is a good thing.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
There's been versions of it before, but this is the first Fifa organised one. And yea, they play pretty loose with the definition of 'Arab'. Somalia and a few other sub-Saharan nations were in the qualifiers as well.

But I'm glad they're loose with the definition as it means the lesser footballing nations get some time in the spotlight which (for me) is a good thing.
It's not really loose, is it? Eligible were basically the 22 Arab League countries plus South Sudan (whose Arab League application is pending). Obviously one could argue how fitting the Arab league membership is (had no idea the Comoros are part of it) but its kinda a logical point to start with.

As someone who normally hates international football and quickly invented tournaments, I have to admit I kinda like it and would prefer more regional FIFA tournaments instead of having the WC every 2 years or inventing arbitrary FIFA club world cup events. But without the big players its obviously lacking something.

Nick7

It's not really loose, is it? Eligible were basically the 22 Arab League countries plus South Sudan (whose Arab League application is pending). Obviously one could argue how fitting the Arab league membership is (had no idea the Comoros are part of it) but its kinda a logical point to start with.

As someone who normally hates international football and quickly invented tournaments, I have to admit I kinda like it and would prefer more regional FIFA tournaments instead of having the WC every 2 years or inventing arbitrary FIFA club world cup events. But without the big players its obviously lacking something.
Comoros is overwhelmingly Arab to be fair. It’s the only Arab country in the Southern Hemisphere.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would prefer more regional FIFA tournaments instead of having the WC every 2 years or inventing arbitrary FIFA club world cup events. But without the big players its obviously lacking something.
I agree on your first point.

It may lack the best players, but it'll still matter for many players and fans in that region, which is all that matters.

The Corinthian

The stadiums are actually magnificent.

Edit: Ah - you have to actually watch it on Youtube annoyingly. The channel itself is showing all the games live throughout the tournament.

North African teams have all started well.

the_cliff

The stadiums are actually magnificent.

Edit: Ah - you have to actually watch it on Youtube annoyingly. The channel itself is showing all the games live throughout the tournament.

North African teams have all started well.
Yeah the North Africans are definitely the favourites. Qatar look decent as well, shame Saudi took their Olympic team as they've been doing really well in the WCQ.

The Corinthian

There were 4 red cards in the 2018 World Cup, across 64 matches.

In the Arab Cup, there's been 9 red cards in 16 matches so far. :lol:

Chairman Woodie

Great match between Algeria and Morocco last night. Youcef Belaili's goal for Algeria was unbelievable.

Looking forward to the Tunisia, Egypt game on Wednesday.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Mejbri more Arab Cups than Salah. Ha!

Chairman Woodie

Algeria beating Qatar (1-0). A shocking nine minutes of added time has been added on by the officials. There's no justification for it. Serves to help Qatar.

Now Qatar have equalised (90+6).

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Algeria beating Qatar (1-0). A shocking nine minutes of added time has been added on by the officials. There's no justification for it. Serves to help Qatar.

Now Qatar have equalised (90+6).
And the equalizer now :lol:

RedDevilMachine

Polish referee decide to make it up to Algeria for giving Qatar 9 minutes of injury time to equalize so he decides to award an additional 9 minutes on top of the 9 minutes and gave Algeria a penalty. Comedy stuff.

OmarUnited4ever

Bizarre ending, the 9mins added time, Qatar's equalizer then drama ensues as referee goes to check, game resumed and goes on to 15 mins added time and Algeria get a penalty!!!

NYAS

Brilliant tournament so far and can’t wait for the final.

Based Adnan

Final is currently on and live on Youtube if anyone's interested

Tunisia started very well and probably should be up. Hannibal looking really good.

Chairman Woodie

I see Youcef Belaili (Algeria) was released by Qatar SC 24 hours after his winning goal against Qatar in the Arab Cup. There could be many reasons for his release. But the timing is strange.

Chairman Woodie

In their desperation to score Tunisia's keeper comes up for the corner. Only for Algeria to clear the corner and score at the other end. Comical. Algeria win two nil.

the_cliff

I'm half Algerian, really happy with that :devil: , feel for Mjebri, he played really well and was tasked with tracking Belaili (our most important player) and he kept him quiet to be fair.