FIFA are considering new football rules

Dr. StrangeHate

Not sure what to think about it. I don't recognize football anymore
https://www.insidesport.co/what-are...fa-are-considering-that-has-got-fans-furious/

30 minutes a half.
The game clock stops when the ball goes out of play.
Unlimited subs.
Throw-ins played with feet.
5 minute suspension for a yellow card.
That 30 min half will be the biggest improvement possible. There should be an intermediate card after yellow to tackle professional fouls like sin bins.
Unlimited subs would be too big of an advantage to big teams so definitely against that.

Last edited:

UncleBob

What a bunch of fecking morons.

minimum added time etc should def be looked at, though

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Good they’re considering them. Time wasting and cynical fouls have been getting worse for the best part of this century and need something different to address them. Time wasting in particular is farcical in football now, it clearly undermines the sport’s appeal.

crossy1686

career ending
Those changes don't sound that bad to be honest, except for the yellow card one, that's a massive advantage to the opposition.

Also, try making the halves 40 minutes before jumping right down to 30.

The clock should stop when the ball goes out of play like it does in Rugby.

Dr. StrangeHate

Those changes don't sound that bad to be honest, except for the yellow card one, that's a massive advantage to the opposition.

Also, try making the halves 40 minutes before jumping right down to 30.

The clock should stop when the ball goes out of play like it does in Rugby.
I am fairly sure the actual playing time at the moment is less than 25 min a half.
Edit: It is less than 30 mins from my limited googling.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Not sure what to think about it. I don't recognize football anymore
https://www.insidesport.co/what-are...fa-are-considering-that-has-got-fans-furious/

30 minutes a half.
Unlimited subs.
Throw-ins played with feet.
Throw ins effectively become like corners then? Or would they be kick ins with no run up?

Unlimited subs are a bad idea; part of the game is being tactically prepared and second guessing the opposition. Also a nightmare for betting on players to score and get booked!

30 minute halves with the clock being stopped I could get behind; the worst thing about football is time wasting in my opinion.

Not sure about the sin bin idea either. Maybe for certain fouls, like the Fernandinho / Thiago one.

Trequarista10

Anyone got any stats as to how long the ball is in play for on average currently? I don't see the drawback to changing it to a set amount of time similar to that... I suppose in theory teams could take ages on set pieces, which might lose some of the tempo, but could lead to more creative set piece routines?

IhabX7

Is there a problem in the game we’re not aware of? Too much tinkering.

Dorris

The stopping of the clock is a great idea, they just pull the added time up from their arses at the moment

Good ideas, though fans have been saying them for years. The game shouldn't take any less time though stopping the clock might actually mean 30 minute halves.

The others are stupid.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Anyone got any stats as to how long the ball is in play for on average currently? I don't see the drawback to changing it to a set amount of time similar to that... I suppose in theory teams could take ages on set pieces, which might lose some of the tempo, but could lead to more creative set piece routines?
Around 55-60 minutes (slightly more for top sides, slightly less for weaker ones).

dinostar77

What is it with sports currently? F1 and now football tinkering with what works just to try to make their sports appeal to a younger generation who have the attention span of a goldfish and alienate their core audience.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But surely, reducing each half to 30 minutes will significantly lower goal-scoring as a whole, thus favouring defensive/low block teams? Instead of having to hold out for 90 minutes, they only have to hold out for 60. The time-wasting potential of unlimited subs only contributes to that.

I can't say for sure, but those at FIFA may not have thought this through.

Judas

Open to offers
Well if the average length of the ball being in play is so short, if they did the stopped clock and kept it at 45 minute halves the quality could potentially take a nose dive.

Steve Bruce

Oh fantastic more changes.

Put the rules back to how they where in 1995 and then leave them alone.

All these changes are ruining football

Judas

Open to offers
What is it with sports currently? F1 and now football tinkering with what works just to try to make their sports appeal to a younger generation who have the attention span of a goldfish and alienate their core audience.
I suppose these sports have to think of the future to a certain degree. The way people consume sport and media is changing drastically. You either make changes or become a relic of the past.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
But surely, reducing each half to 30 minutes will significantly lower goal-scoring as a whole, thus favouring defensive/low/block teams? Instead of having to hold out for 90 minutes, they only have to hold out for 60. The time-wasting potential of unlimited subs only contributes to that.

I can't say for sure, but those at FIFA may not have thought this through.
I think this has been already addressed.

The ball is in play 60 minutes or less most games, so stopping the clock and playing 60 minutes outright is no different to what's happening right now really.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Think the stopping the clock and 30 min halves are not bad ideas at all, though perhaps go down to 40 minutes first.

Not sure I get the point of changing throw-ins?

Unlimited subs is a terrible idea and will make the gap between the top teams and those below them even bigger. Absolutely ridiculous.

5 minute suspension for a yellow seems too big of a jump but I do think there should be something like this for cynical fouls where there is literally no intention whatsoever to play football.

redshaw

Hopefully they also stop the clock for injuries and the players pretending to be.

Good ideas, though fans have been saying them for years.

The others are stupid, 30 minute halves especially so.
Well 30 mins halves is there to allow the clock to be stopped and finish roughly how they do now at 45 mins, if it was 45 mins plus clock stopping then we'd see games for 2hrs and 30 mins or more.

They might even have to adjust it to 25 mins per half. I remember Sky years ago would add stats of ball in play for around 20 mins per half over a 45 min duration.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Stopping the clock will lead to the introduction of TV time-outs. It's an obvious money grab. Be careful what you wish for.

Alan Partridge

So when the ball goes out there’ll be no onus to restart play quickly? Might as well shove some ad breaks during these breaks.

Particularly dislike unlimited subs. I already think having 5 is taking something away.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Is there a problem in the game we’re not aware of? Too much tinkering.
This is my first reaction.

I actually think they understimate the younger generations attention span. Surely nobody wants shorter F1 races or shorter games? I know people are saying the ball is only in play for 30 minutes a half but I don't like the idea

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Stopping the clock is the only good idea here.
While I get the idea behind it, does it not take away some of the essence of football, the extra time winner the extra time equaliser? That bit of the game that keeps you clinging on for hope. I'm probably in the minority but, there is much more to football and why its so popular than just the football itself.

Trequarista10

Not sure I get the point of changing throw-ins?
Was it Wenger who suggested it years ago? Throw ins are a bit rubbish, but kick ins would surely lead to teams just hoofing it into the box from any kick in in the opposition half.