FIFA considering having a World Cup every 2 years | Will save Africans from 'death in the sea'

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I suspect the survey group was Arsene Wenger wearing various moustaches.

Anecdotal but I haven't spoken to a single person in favour of a more frequent World Cup. Admittedly I haven't spoken to 30,000 people to get their opinions on it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but they fiddled with the numbers to get the statement "the fans want it every two years" that all the press are eating up without a hint of proper analysis.

FIFA published a press release which claimed supporters surveyed "favour more frequent men's World Cups".

But data published by the worldwide governing body, based on a YouGov poll, showed 45 per cent of respondents prefer the World Cup remaining once every four years.

FIFA's claim is only supported by adding together the percentages of fans who believe the World Cup should be staged either every year, biennially or every three years
They're doing it regardless. They just want more money, and feck players being burnt out.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
What a shameful "survey".

Football is really sad nowadays. Main stakeholders are FIFA vs UEFA vs Superleague. Not a single light at the end of the tunnel.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Massive devaluation. World Cup should be a part of UNESCO World heritage and preserved as it is. FIFA should be put in place. Football is not their corporation not their brand. It is culture.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Playing devils aggregate here; this is just like when the Winter Olympics changed its schedule so it was no longer in the same year as the summer ones. FIFA are looking out for UEFA in a way; by guiding them towards only having their tournaments once every four years. Sort of like my plastic and paper bins timetable where they only get emptied every three weeks and you have to take glass and landfill waste to the tip yourself. Or something.

I know it's advocate you plebs

Twisted Nerve

Stupid idea. It'll just water it down, create more fixture congestion, and it's pretty much a money grab.

Eli Zee

This sport is not like others. There's not 1 fecking league, one championship.... for fecks sake.

These players are essentially playing for 2 different teams every year. There's already other national team tournaments besides the World Cup too.

idk why they think this is a good idea let alone possible to implement without hurting the sport or the players.

also, a World Cup where there will be twice as many winners becomes half as special to win, kind of. If they switch it to every two years, then in 10 years from now they'll say let's make it every year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly I hope we get as much uproar about this as we did the Super League.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
At this point I hope UEFA and Comenbol boycott FIFA and join forces. They do that and FIFA would be dead within a decade.

Not saying those two organisations are great, but they're better than fecking FIFA who are now just out to get as much money as possible, which is also why we have so many international breaks these days.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
UEFA and Conmebol need to boycott this mess, nobody is gonna get excited about a WC with Japan vs Mexico in the final.

Greedy FIFA is even bribing federations to support this stupid idea.

wolvored

Money and thats it. No thoughts about player burn out now. How many people watch 2 matches a day now when they are on. When would the Euros be played? How long before there would be an international tournament every summer? The beauty of the World cup is they are every 4 years and this keeps it fresh. If they got reduced to 2 years it would soon be stale and the TV audience would dwindle. Fifa know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
At this point I hope UEFA and Comenbol boycott FIFA and join forces. They do that and FIFA would be dead within a decade.

Not saying those two organisations are great, but they're better than fecking FIFA who are now just out to get as much money as possible, which is also why we have so many international breaks these days.
UEFA and Conmebol need to boycott this mess, nobody is gonna get excited about a WC with Japan vs Mexico in the final.

Greedy FIFA is even bribing federations to support this stupid idea.
CONMEBOL & UEFA are joining forces - they’re adding them to the UEFA Nations League from 2024:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...in-2024-after-talks-between-uefa-and-conmebol

pacifictheme

I love the world Cup but part of its charm is that its every 4 years, so it's special.

If every day was Christmas day I'd eventually get bored of pigs in blankets. Too much of a good thing guys.

Stretford_End_17

It would destroy national teams highest prestige for good.

In my opinion FIFA is desperate, it knows UEFA with its CL, PL has all the attention, biggest, exiting games and money, they want to compete with that but they will lose.

Stick to every 4 years and let us enjoy the World Cup as it should.

kerryman

Shit idea driven only by greed
Agree...absolute shit idea. One of the things that makes the World Cup so special is that it is every 4 years...making it a rare and special event. Most players have maybe 3 opportunities to play in one so to qualify and play in one is seen as a real highlight in their careers. Having one every 2 years devalues it hugely.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
Gotta say I was very disappointed when I learnt Wenger was the one pushing this idea. I used to admire him as an intellectual who has the good of the game at heart. Has he already sold out to FIFA or does he genuinely believe this will be good for the game? I would like to see an analysis of how this will impact the number of international games per team per year. Sounds like it will definitely increase the number of games in an already congested calendar, but maybe I lack information.

Reactions: Jippy

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I would have to go from not caring every 4 years to not caring every 2 years. If the proposal would reduce the number of international breaks I'm all for it.

FerociousCorgis

Why stop at every 2 years. Just go a continual nonstop world cup. The moment the final is over the knockout stages restart with new teams

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The WCs strength is that it’s romantic due to being every 4 years

offering money to ensure it goes through? Disgusting. They know it’s a bad idea otherwise they wouldn’t offer bribes

heard one of the FIFA guys on the radio this morning talking about how they got positive feedback from surveying 100k people. Absolutely bs. I know none who think this is a good idea.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The WCs strength is that it’s romantic due to being every 4 years

offering money to ensure it goes through? Disgusting. They know it’s a bad idea otherwise they wouldn’t offer bribes

heard one of the FIFA guys on the radio this morning talking about how they got positive feedback from surveying 100k people. Absolutely bs. I know none who think this is a good idea.
Those 100k are probably from nations ranked 170-202.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Results are interesting but the only real conclusion is there is no global consensus on the optimal frequency.
  • Half the respondents are from Asia, the majority of whom (54%) marginally prefer a more frequent WC
  • 69% of African respondents prefer a more frequent WC
  • Only 31% of Europeans want a more frequent WC
  • 29% of Oceania respondents want a more frequent WC
Undermining those results are two fatal flaws in the methodology:
  • The question asked is loaded to engineer a positive response. A neutrally framed question is unlikely to achieve the same results.
  • It is disingenuously weighted by population, which does not really represent the football world when almost 40% of the global population lives in China and India
Despite FIFA's best efforts to manipulate the results, it's simply not a mandate to pursue a two-yearly WC on the basis of global support.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
This idea is stillborn. The continental competitons already create a 2-year cycle for Europe and South America. And they are actually the more interesting ones for Europe, higher quality teams. It's fun to play teams like Jamaica every 4 years, but I would not replace a Hungary-England match with England-Jamaica.

Also, this only serves to place more world cups in countries like Quatar, that are absolutely insignificant in football but throw money at Infantino. This is pure BS greed and corruption. feck this plan.

KingCavani

It's inevitable and it's a matter of time before they're an annual thing. Just too much money to be made. That's all that matters and FIFA will never change.

Wenger's heel turn into football's Roger Goodell has certainly been something.