FIFA considering having a World Cup every 2 years | Will save Africans from 'death in the sea'

Micky Targaryen

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else in this forum.

https://global.espn.com/football/fi...arabia-led-study-for-world-cups-every-2-years

FIFA will carry out a feasibility study on holding the World Cup and the women's World Cup every two years after backing a proposal at its annual congress on Friday.

"We believe the future of football is at a critical juncture. The many issues that football has faced have now been further exacerbated by the ongoing pandemic," said SAFF president Yasser Al-Misehal.

"It is time to review how the global game is structured and to consider what is best for the future of our sport. This should include whether the current four year cycle remains the optimum basis for how football is managed both from a competition and commercial perspective," he added.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino called it an "eloquent and detailed proposal" with 166 national federations voting in favour with 22 voting against.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a genuinely interesting idea? Or just another money making idea?

dinostar77

Fifa want more money plain and simple. They dont have a equivalent of CL as a cash cow and 4 years between world cups is too long for them. Awful idea btw.

Micky Targaryen

I think a Super League format with just the best National teams* would be a better idea. It’s what the fans want.

*and Spurs.
If a Super League between super clubs ends up with massive uproar, I seriously doubt a super league with top national teams would be approved either.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Be interesting which nations voted against it, you'd imagine it's the ones that are always qualified with all the lesser nations wanting it more often, and increasing their chances of getting in.

It's special because its so rare, keep it that way.

The Oracle

Assuming that Fifa want the tourament to be held every two years, starting after World Cup 22...

That would mean it would be held in 2024, which is the same year as the Euro's; so I can never see it happening.

InfiniteBoredom

Assuming that Fifa want the tourament to be held every two years, starting after World Cup 22...

That would mean it would be held in 2024, which is the same year as the Euro's; so I can never see it happening.
I’d imagine the Euro would be changed to 2 years as well, in odd number years, and since we kinda have the perfect storm with it already being held this year 2021 due to the pandemic...

Never underestimate the greed of football authorities.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Terrible idea imo.

Some things are special in part because of their rarity.

Having said that, it must be a shape that they get so few cracks at the world cup. Really only one two when they'd be top of their game most likely.

Still think its best the way it is though.

The Oracle

I’d imagine the Euro would be changed to 2 years as well, in odd number years, and since we kinda have the perfect storm with it already being held this year 2021 due to the pandemic...

True.

It would be great for the fans... the excitement of a top class tournament every Summer.

Not sure the players would be happy though. They'd probably moan that they never get any time off.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
True.

It would be great for the fans... the excitement of a top class tournament every Summer.

Not sure the players would be happy though. They'd probably moan that they never get any time off.
well they are human after all

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
FIFA showing itself to be rotten again

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The World Cup is special for me because of how rare it is. If we have a World Cup & Euros every year I think people will actually become less interested in international football. This would be a really bad move in my opinion.

Handré1990

Well, as long as the proposal is eloquent, we should all be OK!

Stupid idea tbh, like many already said, the rarity is a major factor in how special it is, leave it as is.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Terrible idea that's just as bad for the fan and football in general as the initial plans for the super League.

I eagerly await the uproar from Neville and co.

Hulksmash

I'm not against 3 years if they get rid of Euros and the Other Cups

Nogbadthebad

A disaster.

They'd have to switch euros to a different year to accommodate, and that would probably mean a 2 year cycle for them, which means football every summer and players having just 2 or 3 weeks off a year.

Even if they kept euros at 4 years, it would be one summer off every 3 years.

That would shorten careers, increase injury and see more players drop out of international football earlier and earlier to try and keep playing at club level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Awful idea. Leave football alone ffs. Big matches are cool because they are rare. The world cup is so cool because it is every 4 years. It is such an iconic moment to win it because it is rare. The other continental championships can happen in between the world cup wait like the euros being every 4 years as well. People will care less and less if they make it every 2 years, and players won't care as much as now they'll have twice as many chances to win it. It'll kill all continental championships too.

Why can't these cnuts in charge just leave the structures of football alone and stop trying to make some dramatic change. It's fine. Focus on fixing VAR to make football more fun again, as VAR is the worst thing about football right now, but leave the structures alone.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Yeah for sure uefa won't want to sacrifice the euros so I agree an international competition every year would probably be what they would go for... not sure it's best for players long term as they wouldn't get much of a rest... but I expect that's secondary to the fifa and uefa delegates lining their pockets on a more regular basis

RedDevilzFox

Cash grab alert!!

Keep creating meaningless cup tournaments and lets repeat them every year, why not?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
So what happens with the women's world cup?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
NOOO!
International stuff should become less of a thing, not more regular!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Seems like Africa and Asia are the 2 areas that would obviously be most in support of it being more frequent as they have less representatives than the Americas or Europe and therefore less opportunity to compete in one.

Can't see either of Europe or South America voting for it when they've got the Copa America and the Euros. Be too much football every single summer.

Pronewbie

Peep
Nah.. Duplicating the World Cup is so boring.. They should copy UEFA's Nations League format for the other continents and have a proper 8 - 16 team confederations Cup instead. This way they can keep their bloated "inclusive" World Cup while having a more interesting tournament for the best of the best.

Weaker nations can face one another in a more competitive setting with promotion / relegation, resulting in more interesting fixtures and higher attendances / TV Deals over the course of 1 - 2 years.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People need to start thinking about the legacy fans

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Theres going to come a point where Football becomes so saturated and players become so tired that people realise that fans only want to watch a limited amount of high quality matches per season.

Cloud7

This would take away part of what makes the World Cup special if we get one so often.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Absolutely terrible idea. Diminishes it's importance and prestige.