FIFA considering having a World Cup every 2 years | Will save Africans from 'death in the sea'

saivet

Finish the season by the start of May, a weeks break, a week training camp with international teams then six weeks of internationals takes it to the end of June? Three weeks off for non Intls, four for the rest, pre season starts late July?
Possibly but not sure how keen the players would be. That would be a sustained period away from their families every summer (plus pre-season if abroad), rather than it being a week or two at a time.

I generally don't mind international breaks and think there are a few benefits, whether it be allowing a player more time to recover from injury without missing club games or providing an opportunity for new and in form players to make appearances in their national team.

I think they can be a bit of a chore and over a month of international qualifiers would be more difficult to watch in my opinion.

SouthernRedDev

I see club football as the true barometer of football success, international football is OK but its nowhere near as interesting with a limited pool of players/ limited time for players to train together . I certainly wouldnt want more internationals at the expense of fewer club games. If anything i would prefer that the euros be dropped so that international competition is only every 4 years this would increase interest and lower the burden of games played each year for players.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
They can’t. Super bowl has set teams competing every year. The qualifiers for the WC take too much time. They have qualifiers for Euros as well. Even having it 2 years is going to be a significant challenge due to the number of games they have to fit in.
Not the same as a Super Bowl (but I wouldn’t put that passed FIFA eventually) but “like” a Super Bowl in terms of annual, razzmatazz
Possibly but not sure how keen the players would be. That would be a sustained period away from their families every summer (plus pre-season if abroad), rather than it being a week or two at a time.

I generally don't mind international breaks and think there are a few benefits, whether it be allowing a player more time to recover from injury without missing club games or providing an opportunity for new and in form players to make appearances in their national team.

I think they can be a bit of a chore and over a month of international qualifiers would be more difficult to watch in my opinion.
In my scenario (which was an off the cuff reply - trust me, that took five seconds to write so dont be thinking I gave it any real thought), they’d still get a short break after season end and 3 or 4 weeks between Intls and pre season. Every year.

Havent really thought about it, it’s just reallocating time… 3 or 4 periods away through the year VS one longer chunk away.

Swings and roundabouts but I hate international breaks, especially at the start of the season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We can fix that by making the Olympics hosted every 2 years.
That’s called thinking outside the box. Genius idea. They can just bin off the World Athletics Championship (which is just the Olympics by another name and to help World Athletics get more money in their coffers… the cheek of it? Football would never do that)

Real Name

I hope it wont go through. It will totally devalue the importance and the glare of the competition and water down quality which is already watered down by too many teams participating in it. I know it's nowhere near the popularity of football but look at handball, Euros and World cups every 2 years, I think it's the same with basketball.
Over time people will be fed up with world cups instead of anticipating it.

Siorac

I've yet to come across a genuine football fan who likes to have a break in the beginning of September after only 3 Premier League games, it's just bonkers
And then there's one at the start of October, and then another at the start of November! It's absolutely insane. I've also been a big fan of Wenger's suggestion for a long time - and international coaches would probably be happy as well, they'd have more time with their players to work on stuff.

RaptorSlo

Maybe the big countries' FAs can grow some balls and leave FIFA if it's getting pushed on them.

Meh, who am I kidding, they'll get their money, so they'll be all for it.

Withnail

If they think this nonsense is going to make international football more relevant they are fecking clueless.

Yes Football is a critical juncture. There are too many games and some of the meaningless International games have got to go.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If they think this nonsense is going to make international football more relevant they are fecking clueless.

Yes Football is a critical juncture. There are too many games and some of the meaningless International games have got to go.
80% of international games feel like League Cup games where one side is vastly superior to the other but there isn't the threat of elimination from the tournament.

South American International football is at least somewhat competitive as there are decent nations playing each other on a regular basis.

ROFLUTION

Its basically UEFA vs FIFA here as the membership countries in asia, south america, etc all have incentives to vote for WC every 2nd year so they get more money.

It'll happen unless UEFA takes the fight. Maybe even if they fight it out also.

cafecillos

Seeing where the sport is going it's actually sort of surprising this is not already a thing. All the records, top scorers, caps and so on from before the change will be rendered meaningless in a few years, not to mention the drama, the feeling of one opportunity in a lifetime for footballers and whole "generations" of them, will be gone forever. It will be profitable though, which is what matters, isn't it?

RoyH1

Terrible idea. The very rarity of the football WC is what makes it so special. Another silly money grab.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
80% of international games feel like League Cup games where one side is vastly superior to the other but there isn't the threat of elimination from the tournament.

South American International football is at least somewhat competitive as there are decent nations playing each other on a regular basis.
Im south american , but the Conmebol system allow Brazil and Argentina to never miss a WC, since they can recover points dropped against inferior teams with no problem because there are 18 matches played...Argentina only missed a WC when Conmebol used the groups format, and also went to play offs in 1994 just for losing to Colombia.
Even the rubbish 2018 Argentina managed to qualify despite dropping many points they shouldn't have dropped.

Conmebol games are competitive somehow but the games themselves are so boring, unless you are watching Brazil or Argentina, those are the two teams i watch, and my country (Peru).

2026 qualifiers will be worse since they gave us 7(6+1 play-off) spots for WC, which means that 7 out of 10 teams will qualify...that will completely kill any excitement left.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Most of the people taking these stupid decisions are Wall Street looking suit guys who never kicked a ball in their whole life, but they have an MBA from an important university so they know how to manage things and know what's better for Football, despite never kicking a ball in their whole life or practicing any sport at all.

Sweet sweet Capitalism...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Terrible idea but pretty sure the 48 team world cup idea was also dismissed some time ago and eventually got voted through.

Used to love watching Copa America every 4 years but lost interest in it in recent times due to it being played seemingly every year now, this years tournament only interesting for Messi finally winning something as standard of football was really poor probably in part due to saturation nature so world cup will go same way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Terrible idea but pretty sure the 48 team world cup idea was also dismissed some time ago and eventually got voted through.

Used to love watching Copa America every 4 years but lost interest in it in recent times due to it being played seemingly every year now, this years tournament only interesting for Messi finally winning something as standard of football was really poor probably in part due to saturation nature so world cup will go same way.
The Copa America is supposed to be every 4 years but between the Centenario and the move to even years, they somehow packed the last 6 years with 4 editions.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It will happen eventually. The problem with international football (club or nation) that there is such a huge asymmetry between the very few successful nations and the huge rest that there are so many that have nothing to lose and can only gain when increasing the amount of matches. Hence all the tournaments (CL, EL, WC, EC) get bigger all the time with so many nations voting in favor because they see their chance to be able to participate going up. Same for having these tournaments more often.
In theory, the big 5-8 nations in Europe plus Brazil and Argentina still hold all the cards because without them the product is worth shit but the way football bureaucracy is structured you always have these functionaries in charge that are happy to be paid off nicely and they won't care enough.

Mshafeek

I am for it if it means they decrease the number of pointless qualification matches, international friendlies and breaks. What's the harm in this, if it means the top teams have to play more or less the same number of matches over 2 years? The argument that it would devalue the tournament is silly - CL is proof.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
In theory, the big 5-8 nations in Europe plus Brazil and Argentina still hold all the cards because without them the product is worth shit but the way football bureaucracy is structured you always have these functionaries in charge that are happy to be paid off nicely and they won't care enough.
That's the issue, we have a lot of functionaries in FIFA who never kicked a ball in their whole life, but as they have an MBA from some important university, apparently they can take important decisions about what's better for Football.

The WC with 32 teams already have many pointless matches, now imagine 48 teams...

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why on earth does an ex-Manager think this is a good idea?

How much more money can Wenger need after such a successful career (in terms of earnings ;) ) that he will sell his soul for the FIFA money lust.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Copa America is supposed to be every 4 years but between the Centenario and the move to even years, they somehow packed the last 6 years with 4 editions.
"Until Messi wins it"

So, i see it is time for you all to finally embrace your lord and saviour

LARulz

I don't get it, what's the reason Wenger gives for it? I really am shocked he would support such an insane idea

Hughes35

Another awful idea that will go ahead.

Football is getting worse and worse isn't it? Having a world cup every two years makes it barely any more important than winning the champions league. Yes, it will still be important but not on the same level. Also, they are saying that all the qualifiers would be lumped together so basically club football would stop for about 5 weeks in the middle of the season....... grim.

Utd77

Love the world Cup but every two years cheapens the tournament, having said that, I think every three years is a decent compromise.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Horrible. International football is absolutely awful.

Id actually rather have the foreign game 39 rather than this useless crap.

InfiniteBoredom

Ceferin can protest all he likes, FIFA will slap a big wad of cash to the smaller countries in both federations and the majority of Europe+SA will vote for it, then he will come out a few months to a year later with the biannual Euro as well.

If this is to be stopped, then it will be the big clubs who will do it. Can’t imagine owners will be happy having to shorten their annual summer money-making tour during pre-season, which will be the case with the mandated 25 days vacation.

Big Andy

Bloke
feck this idea off completely, and have a proper Club World Cup every 4 years. 32 of the biggest clubs in World Football, a massive 8ft trophy and a big giant Toyota Key for Man of the Match in the final.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
1435943426667786242[/MEDIA]
1435948196480655362[/MEDIA]

Resuming :

"We don't agree that WC should be every two years, it's a stupid idea...But I'm im Doha right now, and these sheiks and rich businessmen,who don't care about Football but love money, have given me an offer ($$$) i can't refuse...so i will record myself on camera saying very convinced "Yes, it's a magnificent idea to have a WC every two years, Football should be more inclusive"...

Money money money must be funny in a rich men world...

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ceferin can protest all he likes, FIFA will slap a big wad of cash to the smaller countries in both federations and the majority of Europe+SA will vote for it, then he will come out a few months to a year later with the biannual Euro as well.

If this is to be stopped, then it will be the big clubs who will do it. Can’t imagine owners will be happy having to shorten their annual summer money-making tour during pre-season, which will be the case with the mandated 25 days vacation.
It can't be stopped, because this is literally capitalism in action.

Rich businessmen ,who know nothing about Football and just care about money, bribing FIFA officials with huge cash, so these officials take the most stupid decisions ever.

It's feel so good to have a couple of rich people who owns the capital screwing things up for pure greed.