Fifa to allow 5 substitutes 2020 and 2021

Moiraine

Really sensible if it is approved.

It should be permanent given the crazy amount of games footballers play these days.

A FIFA spokesperson said: "When competitions resume, such competitions are likely to face a congested match calendar with a higher-than-normal frequency of matches played in consecutive weeks.

"Safety of the players is one of FIFA's main priorities. One concern in this regard is that the higher-than-normal frequency of matches may increase the risk of potential injuries due to a resulting player overload.
"In light of this, and in light of the unique challenge faced globally in delivering competitions according to the originally foreseen calendar, FIFA proposes that a larger number of substitutions be temporarily allowed, at the discretion of the relevant competition organiser.

"In competitions where less than five substitutions are currently allowed, each team would now be given the possibility to use up to five substitutions during the match, with the possibility of an additional substitution remaining during extra time, where relevant."

If approved, FIFA's proposals would also cover the 2020/21 season, as well as the current campaign.
here is the story:
https://www.skysports.com/football/...substitutions-per-match-when-football-returns

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It would be rather sensible if they make it 4+1 or 5+1 with one sub solely for goalkeepers. Its funny but pointless when one of the outfield players has to play in goal because of injuries.

Skills

Snitch
Isn't this going to make the top clubs hoard even more players for the sake of depth?

Moiraine

Isn't this going to make the top clubs hoard even more players for the same of depth?
There should be all squad players allowed for games like world cup. I don’t understand why pick only 7 substitutes when world cup and other competitions allows picking team and substitutes from full squad.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Because football is run by dinosaurs.

Utdstar01

Isn't this going to make the top clubs hoard even more players for the sake of depth?
There's only so many players you can hoard. I'm glad it'll mean that some younger players will get more minutes and opportunities.

Brightonian

Good proposal. Simple and sensible, unlike some of the alternatives already suggested by other posters above. No obligation for any manager to use all those subs, but the option is there for when fatigue starts to set in in the squad.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
potentially 10 breaks in play for substitutions in the 2nd half
feels excessive
perhaps up to 5 substitutes but you can only make 3 substitutions
I can just imagine a team 1-0 up with 10 mins left and slow walking players off everytime the ball goes out of play - would really kill the atmosphere

Skills

Snitch
There's only so many players you can hoard. I'm glad it'll mean that some younger players will get more minutes and opportunities.
Really depends on the coach. A lot just don't like making subs.

The tactical change might be interesting though. Potentially 5 fresh options changes the game quite a bit, and the coaches who can use that best might have the game all of a sudden in their favour.

Skills

Snitch
feels excessive
I can just imagine a team 1-0 up with 10 mins left and slow walking players off everytime the ball goes out of play - would really kill the atmosphere
I hate stoppages for subs anyway. 4th official should just manage all substitutions and game the should just go on.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I hate stoppages for subs anyway. 4th official should just manage all substitutions and game the should just go on.
that would certainly speed things up I think but i can imagine issues (eg changing a keeper) or an injured player where the game is not stopped (eg cramp) who has to crawl over the pitch

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
feels excessive
Apparently the subs will have to be made within 3 windows (not including half time).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I get that the disruption might be annoying but given the pile-up of games and how stop-start football could potentially be over the next while, it seems like a smart move.

Rooney24

Sensible if they bring it in for the next Season whenever that may be.

To change the rules half way through a current Season is a bit of a nonsense regardless of the Situation. But they have to protect their revenues somehow I guess…..

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's not something I want long-term (hurts the tactical side of things if you can literally change half the team), but it's quite a sensible thing to bring in for the short-term if we end up playing a lot of games in short succession. The worry is that once it's in they'll just leave it in.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
feels excessive
Make it 1 time substitutions max in 10 minutes range.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Interesting idea. They pitch it as a temporary solution but I think if it ends up working out, it'll be here to stay.

Would prefer roll on roll off
Don't think I'd like that, but it's a nice thought experiment. Roles would get even more specialized than they are now and teams would end up signing players for specific situations (i.e. bring someone on just to take a FK or long throw).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unless it's simply to cover unfit players if we rush football back, it sounds a disaster to me.

We already see most games lasting 100mins. Add onto that now.

Plus even more time wasting subs.
1-0 up last 5mins and you drag it out making a sub every 30secs

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Must be good for teams with unbelievable depth, imagine the players someone like City will be able to bring on to change the course of a match.

Nick7

Unless it's simply to cover unfit players if we rush football back, it sounds a disaster to me.

We already see most games lasting 100mins. Add onto that now.

Plus even more time wasting subs.
1-0 up last 5mins and you drag it out making a sub every 30secs
How about read the actual article? You can still only make substitutions in 3 windows.

AaronRedDevil

This will only benefit Mourinho. Already has 4 defenders and a CDM. Now he can bring on even more while being 1 up.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It would be rather sensible if they make it 4+1 or 5+1 with one sub solely for goalkeepers. Its funny but pointless when one of the outfield players has to play in goal because of injuries.
Can't see why this is not already a thing in case your GK gets injured. It should be a free sub.

Le Red

feels excessive
This. Definitely this.

Beobachter

It's not something I want long-term (hurts the tactical side of things if you can literally change half the team), but it's quite a sensible thing to bring in for the short-term if we end up playing a lot of games in short succession. The worry is that once it's in they'll just leave it in.
Wait, how so? Wouldn't it do the opposite, i.e. allows for more tactical flexibility as well as increase the importance of in-game planning and adjustment? Not to mention reducing the risk of unforeseen handicap that's beyond anyone's control, such as a team playing one man down because someone's got injured when his team already used up all the sub quote (gotta admit that I also love the probable increased number of early substitution, which could in turn lead to more drama and controversy).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Wait, how so? Wouldn't it do the opposite, i.e. allows for more tactical flexibility as well as increase the importance of in-game planning and adjustment? Not to mention reducing the risk of unforeseen handicap that's beyond anyone's control, such as a team playing one man down because someone's got injured when his team already used up all the sub quote (gotta admit that I also love the probable increased number of early substitution, which could in turn lead to more drama and controversy).
The easier it is to make tactical changes the less important it is to get it right at the start. If a manager makes a mistake, or if the other makes a surprising move that is really working for them, it's easier to fix. To me that's not a good thing.

I can see your argument that there would be more in-game tactical changes and flexibility. I guess the way to look at it is that it will allow more decisions to be made, but each individual decision won't be as important.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Refs are going to actually need to enforce the rule where players have to exit by the nearest touchline then, which they so haphazardly applied since it came into play. It basically didn't apply to away teams, because of the close proximity to fans. Or basically players who just ignored the ref.

Though I like the idea of substitution windows, as mentioned in this thread. The clock still running as players walk off at toddler pace needs to be stopped.