Fifa u17 World Cup

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
zzzzzz call it a night dude, i know what I'm talking about thanks just cnuts like you need a row every night or you can't sleep.
FFS lay off the sauce and go to bed the pair of you.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It's a shame Cherki isn't playing. He's just sitting on the bench of a CL game right now doing nothing when he could be helping France win a WC. Would have loved to see him play internationally at such a tournament. Anybody know why he didn't go?
Pretty sure he's considered too good for u17s. Don't think he's ever been called up, even for his correct age group (This is technically the year older) It's not really THAT big of deal for the big talents really, even for the bigger nations. It's much more important to the players at smaller teams or the smaller countries. Cherki could move to any club in Europe tomorrow if he wanted. I'd imagine if he really wanted to play he'd have been able to. Huge opportunity for players to get a move to change their life etc.

jb8521

zzzzzz call it a night dude, i know what I'm talking about thanks just cnuts like you need a row every night or you can't sleep.
Well you don't even seem to know that the academy scouting & recruitment team is a separate department within the club to the first team scouting & recruitment & are arguing based on your own lack of knowledge but enjoy your blissful ignorance I'm done

GledTheRed

Well you don't even seem to know that the academy scouting & recruitment team is a separate department within the club to the first team scouting & recruitment & are arguing based on your own lack of knowledge but enjoy your blissful ignorance I'm done
I know the club top to bottom numb nuts i'm just not wasting my energy on mugs like you.

Cheerio now.

Bloedrood

Watching Nigeria-Netherlands. 25 minutes in, 1-2 at the moment.

edit:

And Netherlands are through after winning 1-3. After a poor start of the tournament they seem to be hitting their stride. Think they're really missing Brobbey, and Unuvar seems out of form. But Hansen is on fire.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Netherlands defeat Paraguay 4-1 to become the first team to reach the semi-final stage. The Dutch will play Mexico in the last four for a place in the final. Young Ajax forward Sontje Hansen has been particularly impressive and will be in the running for player of the tournament.

The other half of the draw is France v Spain and Brazil v Italy which looks particularly difficult for all 4 teams on paper. Should be some cracking games later this evening to complete the last four.

Sea-Cow

The Netherlands defeat Paraguay 4-1 to become the first team to reach the semi-final stage. The Dutch will play Mexico in the last four for a place in the final. Young Ajax forward Sontje Hansen has been particularly impressive and will be in the running for player of the tournament.

The other half of the draw is France v Spain and Brazil v Italy which looks particularly difficult for all 4 teams on paper. Should be some cracking games later this evening to complete the last four.
I know that its not realistic to sign all of the best young players, and its not as easy as going to the market and picking and choosing players to come over to Unite, but.... I'd still hope that there are questions being asked as to why we signed Hoogewerf instead of this lad?

Its like in the past, why did we sign Pique and didn't sign Fabregas?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I know that its not realistic to sign all of the best young players, and its not as easy as going to the market and picking and choosing players to come over to Unite, but.... I'd still hope that there are questions being asked as to why we signed Hoogewerf instead of this lad?

Hoogewerf declined a contract at Ajax I think (which is why he left), which is pretty rare for young players as obviously they're a great club to develop at. Not sure why any youth player would want to leave them at 16, especially if they're Dutch. Ajax players aren't easy to poach unless they want to leave (at youth level).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
France running riot against Spain and are 5-1 up after 63 minutes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Isaac Lihadji and Nathaneal Mbuku have both been excellent for France in wide areas. Adil Aouchiche also looks a superb talent and has 6 assists in the tournament thus far and is on the books of PSG.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
France record a comprehensive 6-1 win against Spain to progress to the semi-final. France will play the winners of Brazil v Italy in the semis which kicks off at 11pm GMT tonight.

NYAS

That was a cringey game to watch, particularly the first 15 or so minutes of the second half where every French set-piece resulted in a goal. No doubt France are decent but that was truly embarrassing from Spain. Could have driven a lorry through some of the spaces in that defence.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
France have a abundance of talent and I'll share my thoughts on one of the players below due to Uniteds reported interest in the player.

Isaac Lihadji is a 17 year old Left footed Right Winger who is on the books of Marseille in France. United, Everton and Barcelona have been reported by local French media to have a concrete interest in signing him. Currently he's in the final year of his contract and thus far the demands of the player haven't been met by Marseille so there's a possibility he could leave on a free at the end of the season with compensation given to Marseille. Lihadji is a pacy RW player with a high skillset and trickery from what I've seen and is technically excellent. The potential is huge and I personally hope United push the boat to sign him if the opportunity presents itself and he doesn't come to an agreement with his parent club Marseille. We could do with a good RW player again and potentially Lihadji looks brilliant as a player for our problem right side.

Sontje Hansen for the Oranje has also been excellent in the tournament. After a poor start where they lost the opening two games. Hansen really came to the fore and delivered when the chips were down. He's a forward that looks to be a excellent finisher and is very adept at playing with his back to goal. His Link-up play in around the box is also excellent and is also very comfortable on either flank. Looks to be a very well-rounded forwarded with exceptional touch and technique which bodes well for the Dutch in the longterm.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Brazil have beaten Italy 2-0 to set up a semi-final showdown with France. The other semi will be contested between Mexico and Holland. Both semis to be played on Thursday the 14th of November.

Two players I like from the Brazil team are Yan Couto who looks a exceptionally talented RB and is very good going forward. His link up play with the forwards is brilliant and his defensive game looks very good too for such a young player. He will be someone that will end up at a big club soon IMO.

The other lad who caught my eye was Gabriel Veron, named after ex Argentina and United player Seba Veron. He plays as a RWF and in tandem with Couto, caused alot of problems to the Italians on the right flank. He's a exceptional dribbler and can play either flank and has shown fantastic playmaking capabilities due to his passing/vision from outwide or even centrally. He's also very quick so I imagine he will be a name that will be noted by many scouts who are watching the tournament.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Gabriel Veron is a United fan according to this Brazilian fan account on Twitter.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Aouchiche is imperious. If i could take one player from the French team it would be him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Brazilian named after an Argentinian? :eek:
"I was named after former Argentina midfielder Juan Sebastian," said the young Brazilian. "It was our neighbour's idea. He’d always wanted a son but ended up with three daughters. So, when my parents couldn’t decide on a second name for me [during the pregnancy] in 2002, our neighbour said: “why not call him Veron?

"My parents liked the suggestion," continued Veron (whose name does not take an accent, unlike the Spanish variant). "I really like the name and will try to live up to it, just as he [Juan Sebastian] did. I've seen clips of him on YouTube but never live unfortunately. He really was a very good player."

https://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/news/the-brazilian-veron-who-nearly-became-a-cowboy

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surely a few of these U17's have an interest in coming to adult disneyworld and not plain and boring Madrid?
I certainly hope so. Yan Couto at RB looks a exceptional fullback that could easily play as a wingback with ease and will be someone that will garner alot of interest. But I don't believe we'll sign him due to having Ethan Laird who also looks very promising. But I would hope we take a chance on someone like Gabriel Veron from Palmeiras or even Reinier from Flamengo. Both players are 17 and have shown great ability in the attacking third at youth level and would potentially be very good signings for the long-term.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
We've been interested in him in the past.
Yeah he looks very promising. He's yet to sign a pro contract with PSG & his contract runs out in the summer. Could see quite a few clubs lining up to sign him this summer.

RoyH1

Despite not having obvious superstars like NL, BR and FR, Mexico is once more in the top 4 at the U17. That's 4 times out of the last 5. Remarkably consistent. That said, I expect them to lose to the Netherlands.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Despite not having obvious superstars like NL, BR and FR, Mexico is once more in the top 4 at the U17. That's 4 times out of the last 5. Remarkably consistent. That said, I expect them to lose to the Netherlands.
Can't speak for the previous times and it's obviously a good achievement but they've been incredibly lucky to get to the semis. It's probably the most underwhelming run to the semis ever. They had a bye to the KO round as they had Soloman in their group so was impossible to not go through. Then had by far the easiest run to the semis. Were fortunate against Japan and played an average SK side. Wouldn't be in the semis if they had any other route.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gabriel Veron is a United fan according to this Brazilian fan account on Twitter.

Madrid have invested heavily in their future. Even their first team has many young potential stars of the game. Hope we're also keeping a close eye on this tournament and the talent that shines in it.

Charles Miller

The other lad who caught my eye was Gabriel Veron, named after ex Argentina and United player Seba Veron. He plays as a RWF and in tandem with Couto, caused alot of problems to the Italians on the right flank. He's a exceptional dribbler and can play either flank and has shown fantastic playmaking capabilities due to his passing/vision from outwide or even centrally. He's also very quick so I imagine he will be a name that will be noted by many scouts who are watching the tournament.

Player in the thumbnail is Reinier(Flamengo). In fact the best version of this Brazil U-17 would be Veron-Thalles Magno-Reinier in attack.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax

Hansen is a really lovely player who was already a bit of a favourite of mine but who has really upped his game in recent months.

Hoogewerf is a level above as a talent though

Sea-Cow

Hansen is a really lovely player who was already a bit of a favourite of mine but who has really upped his game in recent months.

Hoogewerf is a level above as a talent though
Really? Well that is good to hear and I will take it as gospel.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
History shows that these U17 squads have probably 2 or 3 guys at most that make an impact in first division football. Most become journeymen and some even quit their careers early.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
History shows that these U17 squads have probably 2 or 3 guys at most that make an impact in first division football. Most become journeymen and some even quit their careers early.
the Dutch u17's core largely consists of the 8 or so Ajax players this time. If you look at other generations of Ajax youth teams that broke through over the last 5 years, you'll see that the particularly talented groups are much more consistent than that, so that bodes better for this Dutch u17 team than the usual rates might.

for example, of the Ajax U11/u12 team from like 2009 (born in about 1997), you've got Donny van de Beek, Steven Bergwijn, Javairo Dilrosun, tomothy fosu-mensah, who all made it to full-fledged Dutch internationals, and Abdelhak Nouri who would have as well, as the biggest star of them all, as well as Noussair Mazraoui who is a Moroccan international, as well as players like Carel Eiting (Ajax), Phillippe Sandler (City, on loan at Anderlecht), and a few more second division-ish players.

in fact if you take the 2010 u13 team, you add Pablo Rosario, the PSV captain (but lose some of the younger ones like Dilrosun). Of the Ajax 2010 u13, 5 of the 15 (would have been 6 out of 16 with Nouri) have full international caps to their name at the age of 22, and another 6 are also still active in Dutch professional football. only 4/15 have fallen out of football since that age of 11-12

This is a particularly talented generation of Ajax youth, hence being such a big part of this successful national's team starting XI. I have very little doubt that Unuvar, Taylor, Rensch make it to a very good level, and that Hansen has it in him to be good as well. Tbf that really is just 3 or 4. Hoever (also from the Ajax academy until last summer) is very unlikely not to make it as well, though it's always hard to predict with players in the Premier League teams' set ups. Regeer I find it too early to say. Salah-eddine i'm slightly skeptical of. Taabouni of AZ is very highly rated, and they have an exceptional track record in recent years of progressing their top talents into their first team.

I think of the Dutch team it will definitely be more like 6/7 who make it as at least Eredivisie players, and a good chance of at least 3 going on to far greater things

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's a 2003 born player & this is for the 2002's so they're using the lads who have actually had a part in them reaching the World Cup. I think Cherki has only played 2/3 games for France at any level strangely enough.
It's a shame Cherki isn't playing. He's just sitting on the bench of a CL game right now doing nothing when he could be helping France win a WC. Would have loved to see him play internationally at such a tournament. Anybody know why he didn't go?
He isn't called up because he's too far ahead.
The u16 nt games were all scheduled at the same time as the Youth League. He played 2 games for the u16 team in September of last year before being promoted to Lyon u19 and had 2 assists in 15 minutes then he started the next game and got injured first half

It's not supposed to be a problem since 15/16 year old aren't usually starters in YL teams but since he was Lyon never let him go to any call up.

Now that he's in Lyon's pro group frequently it's gonna be even harder for him to get youth call ups.

But tbh I think playing 30 minutes in a heated game against Marseille was more beneficial to him than the u17 WC would have been. He needs to play against Adults every week.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He isn't called up because he's too far ahead.
The u16 nt games were all scheduled at the same time as the Youth League. He played 2 games for the u16 team in September of last year before being promoted to Lyon u19 and had 2 assists in 15 minutes then he started the next game and got injured first half

It's not supposed to be a problem since 15/16 year old aren't usually starters in YL teams but since he was Lyon never let him go to any call up.

Now that he's in Lyon's pro group frequently it's gonna be even harder for him to get youth call ups.

But tbh I think playing 30 minutes in a heated game against Marseille was more beneficial to him than the u17 WC would have been. He needs to play against Adults every week.
I get that, it's good that Garcia is not letting his age be a factor in his selection with the pros, as the talent is evidently there. I just think there is something to competing in knock out competitions and winning a title like a world cup, even if it's for the youth group, it's not a long competition and he can always come back and keep going for the season afterwards. Either way, I'm excited to get to see him play more and more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mexico advance to the final after defeating the Dutch on penalties. France v Brazil at 11pm GMT tonight.

RoyH1

The Netherlands played better and had more chances. Mexico’s GK was the difference in the game. Gotta give it to Mexico though, they’re remarkably consistent in this competition. They just cannot seem to ever build upon it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
France took a 2-0 lead against Brazil, but the Brazilians have levelled at 2-2 with around 12 minutes of normal time still to play.