Gaming Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth (PS5)

AaronRedDevil

Looking forward to seeing what kind of changes they are doing to it. Also crisis core which I've never played is owing this winter. Do that'll be good.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Any indication of how far they'll go to? I hope it's more than they did in the first and there's less padding. End of disc 1 would be good.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd be surprised if they didn't go all the way until that scene.
Any indication of how far they'll go to? I hope it's more than they did in the first and there's less padding. End of disc 1 would be good.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They’ve announced it’s a trilogy so I feel they’d have to go quite far? Though the rest of the game may be completely different from the original so who knows.

SuperiorXI

Nice. I hope they don't change too much, the ending to the first remake left a bit of a sour taste but the rest of that game was mostly quality (except for the filler stuff!)

I reckon this one will be much more open world, the ending could be the boat to costa del sol although that's not much to cover. Maybe they'll push it further to *that scene*.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Nice. I hope they don't change too much, the ending to the first remake left a bit of a sour taste but the rest of that game was mostly quality (except for the filler stuff!)

I reckon this one will be much more open world, the ending could be the boat to costa del sol although that's not much to cover. Maybe they'll push it further to *that scene*.
Boat to Costa del Sol is very early on after leaving Midgar so would have to be much further than that.

Agreed *that scene* (if it happens) would be a good place to end. But then that still leaves a huge amount for the final part to cover. Hope they don’t end up cutting loads out.

SuperiorXI

Boat to Costa del Sol is very early on after leaving Midgar so would have to be much further than that.

Agreed *that scene* (if it happens) would be a good place to end. But then that still leaves a huge amount for the final part to cover. Hope they don’t end up cutting loads out.
Where they ended the first one has kind of set them back a bit, they have so much to cover in only two installments so we'll probably get stuff cut...

They could theoretically stretch this to 4 or 5 games.

largelyworried

I bought a PS4 Pro just to play this game (edit:the original that is) and honestly was pretty disappointed in it, but I'll definitely get this for the PS5 and hope it picks up the pace a little.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I actually like that they're changing the story. Keeps it interesting.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
They doing a ps4 port? I can't be arsed with the shite which comes with buying a 2 year old console from cnut scalpers.

Raw

Not gonna lie I was very disappointed that they decided to mess with the story and do it's own thing. But now that I'm over it I'm excited to see what they do, at the very least they'll revisit many key areas and scenes from the original.

Not looking forward to how much of the compilation stuff they'll shove into this though, just not a fan of any of it. Crisis Core was okay game-play wise but the only good parts of the story were ones referenced from the original game anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I actually like that they're changing the story. Keeps it interesting.
Yep. If I want to play through the original story, I'll play the original game. This one I want to spiral off in its own direction.

Bosws87

I'll play it but they totally massacred the first part of the story from the original game so i'm expecting more of the same

Irwin99

This is, and always has been, practically a stealth sequel. I will 100% play it but i'm just not convinced at the story direction. Plot seems to now revolve around 'can we keep certain characters alive?'

Also I think Genesis seems to be playing an important role going forward. Shudders in terror...no. more. poetry. Please!!! :( Never played crisis core but i've seen the clips with him in it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I am struggling to work out how they are going to incorporate the open world in this game. There's going to have to be a lot of added side quests etc to justify designing such a thing because in the original game it barely serves any purpose apart from allowing players to get from A to B.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I doubt it, doesn't make sense for SE to drum up excitement for this with FF16 so close to release.
True, do SE have another event soon? Just with a winter 2023 release you’d expect some announcement soon, even if a new trailer and release date.

Woodzy

I am struggling to work out how they are going to incorporate the open world in this game. There's going to have to be a lot of added side quests etc to justify designing such a thing because in the original game it barely serves any purpose apart from allowing players to get from A to B.
Wouldn’t be surprised if they sack it off. Like you said, it serves little purpose really. Maybe that big sand monster thing that I can’t remember the name of is the only real reason for it?

Ainu

I doubt they'll go open world for this one, and that's a good thing. I expect it to be a zone-based game, with a couple of them being fairly large so they hint at a larger world and allow some exploration. That's what FF16 is supposed to be like as well, and it just makes sense in a game like this.

It also makes it easier to direct the story. FF7 is a fairly linear game after all, it's only towards the end that you can go anywhere. Most of the time, you were "zoned in" on a specific part of its world map.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think it will be full open world but doesn't need to be. I like how they incorporated things like Fort Condor into the Yuffie update and I imagine that they'll do a good job of incorporating side stuff like the Gold Saucer too. There are a lot of side quests to do with the open world in FF7, it just depends if you know about them or not (most aren't obvious).

SuperiorXI

I've been looking at the FFVII Satsuki Mod and it looks great. I am planning to get a Steam Deck and play through the classic game with the aforementioned mod plus the re translation mod which makes it closer to what the Japanese version is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
2 discs! :drool: Can't wait for the new characters. Looks awesome.