Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

SiRed

Couldn't find a thread on this. I apologise if there is one already.

Anyone else pumped for this?
Now given a release date of 3.3.2020 which knowing SE means very little but i have booked the week off work for it today and cannot wait now.

The new trailer looks epic. Cant wait to roam around Midgar once again.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I wish they would remake Lost Odyssey. Now that was one hell of a game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@esmufc07 when you get the forum split can you make sure each section has a duplicate thread like this one, just in case people find it hard to find a ff7 remake thread.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
This is going to be launched for pc, right? Don't want to buy a gaming console but feel very tempted to buy just to play this. :lol:

Art Vandelay

This is going to be launched for pc, right? Don't want to buy a gaming console but feel very tempted to buy just to play this. :lol:
I think at the minute it's a PS4 exclusive, but a couple of retailers have listed an Xbox version which wouldn't be surprising given that FF7, 9, 10 and 12 remasters came out on PS4 before coming to Xbox too. So I'd imagine a PC version would come with that. It's all just speculation though.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Preparing your holidays one year in advance. Thrilling routine i bet!

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think at the minute it's a PS4 exclusive, but a couple of retailers have listed an Xbox version which wouldn't be surprising given that FF7, 9, 10 and 12 remasters came out on PS4 before coming to Xbox too. So I'd imagine a PC version would come with that. It's all just speculation though.
Yeah, I'm sure the game would arrive other platforms... eventually. Guess I'll have to do with a PS4 by then as I can't wait to play with crossdressing Cloud. :drool:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Never ever played a FF game but that trailer has me very interested so may as well jump in and see what the fuss is about.

Art Vandelay

They've now confirmed that it's the first episode thats two blu-ray discs and that they don't know how many episodes it's going to be or how long between them. They said it's only going to be Midgar in the first episode too. How does the 4 or 5 hours of Midgar end up taking up two blu-ray discs?

SiRed

They've now confirmed that it's the first episode thats two blu-ray discs and that they don't know how many episodes it's going to be or how long between them. They said it's only going to be Midgar in the first episode too. How does the 4 or 5 hours of Midgar end up taking up two blu-ray discs?
I imagine and hope they expand on a lot of the unanswered parts of midgar.
How did cloud end up with avalanche?
they might expand on the flirting between cloud and jesse.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ah thank God for that, one blu ray for everything outside of Midgar did seem a bit ridiculous!

Cait Sith

If it's going to be episodic, I feel like the next episode will come out 3 years later. Announced 2015, first episode which contains only Midgar in 2020? The game isn't completely finished before 2030.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The whole game will end up costing at least £200. Midgar portion is £50, and there will likely be at least two more episodes.
it's obvious that they've already spent a feck-tonne of time and money on it and only have around 25% of the game complete so are just releasing what they've done so far to try and cash in on it.

the episodic thing is pure bollocks. Any previous game that's been episodic has been released at a highly reduced price with the overall cost of all episodes usually not being much more than a standard game. They can feck right off charging full price for this.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
it's obvious that they've already spent a feck-tonne of time and money on it and only have around 25% of the game complete so are just releasing what they've done so far to try and cash in on it.

the episodic thing is pure bollocks. Any previous game that's been episodic has been released at a highly reduced price with the overall cost of all episodes usually not being much more than a standard game. They can feck right off charging full price for this.
This isn't a Telltale game episode game though where it's 2-3 hours. Never played FF7 but presumably you're looking at 20-25 hours for this?

Massive Spanner

This isn't a Telltale game episode game though where it's 2-3 hours. Never played FF7 but presumably you're looking at 20-25 hours for this?
They'd have to add an awful lot of new content for it to be 20-25 hours. Midgar takes around 5 hours in the original, max.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Trailer does look dope honestly. Still, Squeenix have disappointed me so utterly and completely with everything (though ff14 is a solid mmo) that I refuse to get really hyped.

Cait Sith

Nah, it's about 8 1/2 hours (just checked some Let's Plays on YouTube) and you could stretch it to 12 or so. Charging 50 for a 12 hour game would still be hilarious though.

Massive Spanner

Nah, it's about 8 1/2 hours (just checked some Let's Plays on YouTube) and you could stretch it to 12 or so. Charging 50 for a 12 hour game would still be hilarious though.
Bloody hell, really?

Why the feck does it need 2 blu-ray discs then?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They'd have to add an awful lot of new content for it to be 20-25 hours. Midgar takes around 5 hours in the original, max.
Yeah, if anything there's going to be stuff cut/reduced like Don's mansion. There's clearly going to be alterations/new stuff added, but I think a fair bit will be via cutscenes.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Yeah, if anything there's going to be stuff cut/reduced like Don's mansion. There's clearly going to be alterations/new stuff added, but I think a fair bit will be via cutscenes.
They shouldn't touch Don's mansion, it was the best part!

Art Vandelay

I'm playing through it now and about to go into Shinra Building at just over 6 hours, I've done everything and spent over 2 hours grinding Aerith's limit break up to level 3. I don't know how they stretch it to 8 hours never mind 12. Either way how does it translate to two full blu-ray discs? Are any other games this gen more than one disc?
I imagine and hope they expand on a lot of the unanswered parts of midgar.
How did cloud end up with avalanche?
they might expand on the flirting between cloud and jesse.
I'd rather they leave some of that to mystery. It looks from the trailers like there's going to be more Sephiroth and even the initial meeting with Aerith looks like it's got extra drama with the black clouds around her and her panicking. I'd rather they leave the build up to those two alone. She's a flower girl that's a bit off who Cloud helps until her mysteries start to unravel. Sephiroth should be nowhere near making appearances even in Cloud's mind outside of imagining/remembering his voice. Part of what made Sephiroth so awesome was seeing the carnage he could leave behind long before seeing him and knowing this guy could utterly wreck Cloud in a fight.
Not sure I'd want any more Cloud flirting either, he already has Tifa, Aerith and Barrett throwing themselves at him. Some expansion on Avalanche themselves might be nice though, we barely got any time with them.
The whole game will end up costing at least £200. Midgar portion is £50, and there will likely be at least two more episodes.
They know people will pay it. They have essentially turned it into a bankable series. I think £200 is conservative too, they will squeeze it into as many parts as possible. Then there's assuming £50 will be the price, I'm seeing a lot of games creeping up to £60 for the base version. I reckon this will be £300 minimum.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I recently played through Midgar at a snails pace and it was still 5 hours. I could have easily done it half of that time too. I have no idea how you could stretch it to 8 hours unless you simply walked away from the screen for 3 hours or being a dumbass and dying to the easy bosses.

Massive Spanner

I'm playing through it now and about to go into Shinra Building at just over 6 hours, I've done everything and spent over 2 hours grinding Aerith's limit break up to level 3. I don't know how they stretch it to 8 hours never mind 12. Either way how does it translate to two full blu-ray discs? Are any other games this gen more than one disc?
Red Dead 2 is, but that's massive.

Cait Sith

I recently played through Midgar at a snails pace and it was still 5 hours. I could have easily done it half of that time too. I have no idea how you could stretch it to 8 hours unless you simply walked away from the screen for 3 hours or being a dumbass and dying to the easy bosses.
Here is one Let's Play:

At 0:27 he opens the menu.

Here is another Let's Play:

13:56 he opens the menu.

Both around 8 1/2 hours towards the end of Shinra HQ. Haven't watched either so I can't tell what they did but I can't imagine a Let's Play idling too much.

SiRed

I'd rather they leave some of that to mystery. It looks from the trailers like there's going to be more Sephiroth and even the initial meeting with Aerith looks like it's got extra drama with the black clouds around her and her panicking. I'd rather they leave the build up to those two alone. She's a flower girl that's a bit off who Cloud helps until her mysteries start to unravel. Sephiroth should be nowhere near making appearances even in Cloud's mind outside of imagining/remembering his voice. Part of what made Sephiroth so awesome was seeing the carnage he could leave behind long before seeing him and knowing this guy could utterly wreck Cloud in a fight.
Not sure I'd want any more Cloud flirting either, he already has Tifa, Aerith and Barrett throwing themselves at him. Some expansion on Avalanche themselves might be nice though, we barely got any time with them.
They know people will pay it. They have essentially turned it into a bankable series. I think £200 is conservative too, they will squeeze it into as many parts as possible. Then there's assuming £50 will be the price, I'm seeing a lot of games creeping up to £60 for the base version. I reckon this will be £300 minimum.

Accept none of that was Sephiroth. You dont actually meet the real Sephiroth until the last battle of the game. Apart from flashbacks, every other time you see him, its actually Jenova.

Art Vandelay

Accept none of that was Sephiroth. You dont actually meet the real Sephiroth until the last battle of the game. Apart from flashbacks, every other time you see him, its actually Jenova.
That was part of the build up though. You don't know that at first. He's barely even mentioned until Shinra HQ and you see what he's capable of, then the rest slowly unravels. I just feel less is more with him and letting everyone else build up before he really got introduced worked very well the first time.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That was part of the build up though. You don't know that at first. He's barely even mentioned until Shinra HQ and you see what he's capable of, then the rest slowly unravels. I just feel less is more with him and letting everyone else build up before he really got introduced worked very well the first time.
I agree, less is definitely more with Sephiroth, and I hope we don't see too much more of him outside what we see in the original.

I don't mind a bit extra to help narrate the story in more depth, but I just hope they don't overkill it.

The Midgar bit is odd, they must have expanded it significantly if it is taking two discs. But I'm sure we will get more information before it releases.

Massive Spanner

I don't like how Cloud is talking to him directly in the trailer? The point of Sephiroth is that he barely even acknowledges Cloud, he's just another Hiro clone to him.

Art Vandelay

I assume Cloud talking to him is what's going to replace those voices in Cloud's head, but even that is changing it a bit much for me.

It's too much Sephiroth and makes me fear that the whole game is going to be Cloud versus Sephiroth, when that's not really how that played out. It just feels a bit too Advent Children, which worked because Cloud had already killed Sephiroth once so they were on more equal footing. I dunno, it feels a bit more like what the characters have become rather than what they were from the brief scenes, but I could be way off, obviously.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don't like how Cloud is talking to him directly in the trailer? The point of Sephiroth is that he barely even acknowledges Cloud, he's just another Hiro clone to him.
Hojo clone you mean?

It's been a while since I've played through the game properly so I can't remember a lot of the story very clearly.

Let's not forget when Cloud goes to set the bomb in the Reactor at the beginning of the game he gets one of his moments where he clutches his head and falls to the floor, so perhaps the clip we see in the remake is just expanding upon that slightly.

SiRed

I haven't done a playthrough for a few years so can't quite remember.... are there any flash backs in midgar??? or is the first one at Kalm?