Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Tiber

Luckily there's no continuation thing, so it's just 1 game. I'm playing it myself atm. On chapter 9 now. Haven't played it since the day it came out. Fantastic game. Though I looked up and they changed a bit of the story apparently about the main plot. I've never played the original.
Oh thats good. I thought Cloud was in a couple of games

Bosws87

Luckily there's no continuation thing, so it's just 1 game. I'm playing it myself atm. On chapter 9 now. Haven't played it since the day it came out. Fantastic game. Though I looked up and they changed a bit of the story apparently about the main plot. I've never played the original.
A bit of the story is generous they butchered it especially towards the ending.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A bit of the story is generous they butchered it especially towards the ending.
Did they really though? They just added a device to keep us guessing a bit. The start and end point are still the same. I played the original a million times, so Im happy it's not a 1:1 remake.

Bosws87

Did they really though? They just added a device to keep us guessing a bit. The start and end point are still the same. I played the original a million times, so Im happy it's not a 1:1 remake.
Of course they did the fighting at the end of Midgar is ridiculous

Fighting Sephiroth like that at Midgar isn't in the game at all its a huge deviation so i can only imagine how stupid it's going to get later on add on the Yuffie DLC and this is going to be nothing like the original

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This was really an incredible game for me, and the only thing I didn't like was some side quests that weren't that good but overall, a very fun ride from start to finish. Has no problem with the ending either, felt like the ending of first season of an anime.
I tried one sidequest in the Sector 7 slums bit where you have to go find some pussy. Pretty much skipping the side quests since. They're really poorly done.

Woodzy

The side quests just before the end of the game were worth while from what I remember, there was a real difficulty spike with the enemies.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I tried one sidequest in the Sector 7 slums bit where you have to go find some pussy. Pretty much skipping the side quests since. They're really poorly done.
Agree 100%, they are the typical old school jrpg filler quests everyone hates. They had no place in the game murdered the pacing, felt really out of place. Would have been better were they left out. JRPG sidequest genuinely annoy me as usually they offer nothing to the narrative and are stupid and pointless fetch or hunt quests.

el3mel

Agree 100%, they are the typical old school jrpg filler quests everyone hates. They had no place in the game murdered the pacing, felt really out of place. Would have been better were they left out. JRPG sidequest genuinely annoy me as usually they offer nothing to the narrative and are stupid and pointless fetch or hunt quests.
I really never understood why JRPGs never try something new with the side quests. All JRPGs have the exact same problem I don't bother complaining about it anymore, even the most successful ones. I nowadays consider it an expected flaw before even touching the game.

I still did all the side quests in 7 remake though. :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I really never understood why JRPGs never try something new with the side quests. All JRPGs have the exact same problem I don't bother complaining about it anymore, even the most successful ones. I nowadays consider it an expected flaw before even touching the game.

I still did all the side quests in 7 remake though. :lol:
Me too, I moaned all the way through but did them all.

caid

I did them all too and was usually thankful for a few fights to break things up a bit.
Think i agree that they're pretty weak feature in general all the same

Minkaro

I was already loving this, but that chapter was just incredible. Biggs and Jessie’s deaths genuinely got to me, and when Rude activates the plate dropping, I legit gasped.

I’m completely new to this game, so I imagine it does get explained, but the cat dude that randomly rocks up during that sequence seems kind of out of place. I think my exact words were “who the feck is this now?”

Absolutely loving it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was already loving this, but that chapter was just incredible. Biggs and Jessie’s deaths genuinely got to me, and when Rude activates the plate dropping, I legit gasped.

I’m completely new to this game, so I imagine it does get explained, but the cat dude that randomly rocks up during that sequence seems kind of out of place. I think my exact words were “who the feck is this now?”

Absolutely loving it.
All will be explained (well, maybe not the Cat dude until part 2 :) ).

Glad you’re enjoying it; going to do another playthrough myself when Integrade is released.

stu_1992

Started this today and got 30 mins in before I discovered 3 out of the 4 buttons on my d-pad no longer work. Had a day off too so was hoping to get into it. Pain.

Ainu

I've been trying to play this on and off for about two months now, it's a struggle to be honest. This is not a good game and I'm baffled why it's considered that by a lot of people. It's been nothing but corridors of unappealing browns and greys, filled almost exclusively with mindless padding. I'm not just talking about side quests, which are inane, but normal progression stuff.

Just now I've had a couple of sequences where I had to move around agonizingly slow mechanical hands to proceed. Seriously, it felt like it took ages. This in the middle of another long, boring corridor section. Who on earth thinks this is even a mildly enjoyable activity? Yeah sure there's the nostalgia factor and seeing these characters interact in 2021 is great, like a childhood dream come true, but the actual game around it isn't any better than FF XIII in my opinion. Before I played it, I feared that the only way to create an entire, lengthy game from the Midgar section was to include staggering amounts of filler. Imagine my lack of surprise when that's exactly what this is.

It's a massive shame because I do enjoy the story moments and big set-pieces. For that reason alone I'm going to keep playing this for as long as I can stomach it but, man, I seriously don't understand how anyone can consider this a good game.

dove

I've been trying to play this on and off for about two months now, it's a struggle to be honest. This is not a good game and I'm baffled why it's considered that by a lot of people. It's been nothing but corridors of unappealing browns and greys, filled almost exclusively with mindless padding. I'm not just talking about side quests, which are inane, but normal progression stuff.

Just now I've had a couple of sequences where I had to move around agonizingly slow mechanical hands to proceed. Seriously, it felt like it took ages. This in the middle of another long, boring corridor section. Who on earth thinks this is even a mildly enjoyable activity? Yeah sure there's the nostalgia factor and seeing these characters interact in 2021 is great, like a childhood dream come true, but the actual game around it isn't any better than FF XIII in my opinion. Before I played it, I feared that the only way to create an entire, lengthy game from the Midgar section was to include staggering amounts of filler. Imagine my lack of surprise when that's exactly what this is.

It's a massive shame because I do enjoy the story moments and big set-pieces. For that reason alone I'm going to keep playing this for as long as I can stomach it but, man, I seriously don't understand how anyone can consider this a good game.
I just finished it myself yesterday and I think it's a good game. It's quite far away from a masterpiece though, 2 or 3 chapters were boring (including that one you mentioned with mechanical hands), side quests are extremely generic, the minigames... the less is talked about it the better, they are annoying as hell. However it get's much better towards the end
except that damn part where you have to climb like 59 fecking floors
. To me it's a 7/10 game, which makes it a good game.

caid

Fair criticism. I enjoyed the combat a lot more than i expected to which helped with the more mundane parts.
Its not a great game tbh, its a lot closer to good. Nostalgia was doing some heavy lifting for me.

Ainu

I don't even like the combat that much. This weird mix of a strategic, turn-based RPG and a real-time action system really doesn't work for me. In the tougher fights, I'm constantly second guessing myself, wondering if the game actually wants me to block and dodge or use completely different abilities. But then dodging and blocking often completely fails and I have absolutely no clue whether it's failing because I'm timing stuff incorrectly, or if these attacks are impossible to dodge or block and the game wants me to do something completely different.

These could be perceived as my personal failures of course, but I don't feel like I'm getting accurate feedback from the gameplay systems so I don't even know where to start. So far, I feel like I've been brute forcing many of the tougher battles because of it, and it never feels enjoyable or satisfying. That atrocious hell house fight being the most recent example for me. I wish they'd just clearly gone for a turn-based or real-time system and made it something excellent. This is still better than the awful system of FFXV but not by much.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

@esmufc07 I am not alone.

caid

I don't even like the combat that much. This weird mix of a strategic, turn-based RPG and a real-time action system really doesn't work for me. In the tougher fights, I'm constantly second guessing myself, wondering if the game actually wants me to block and dodge or use completely different abilities. But then dodging and blocking often completely fails and I have absolutely no clue whether it's failing because I'm timing stuff incorrectly, or if these attacks are impossible to dodge or block and the game wants me to do something completely different.

These could be perceived as my personal failures of course, but I don't feel like I'm getting accurate feedback from the gameplay systems so I don't even know where to start. So far, I feel like I've been brute forcing many of the tougher battles because of it, and it never feels enjoyable or satisfying. That atrocious hell house fight being the most recent example for me. I wish they'd just clearly gone for a turn-based or real-time system and made it something excellent. This is still better than the awful system of FFXV but not by much.
It just clicked for me, I couldn't tell you why. On paper it sounds annoying and fidgety and I expected to be annoyed by the same things you were but just wasn't. The hell house was definitely a weak point, It seemed to have some weakness or gimmick that i just didn't get, whatever it was. I brute forced that one too but it was the only one i struggled with really. Suppose Rufus was a bit messy too.

Bosws87

Yeh its crap compared to the original its a non argument.

Which is a huge shame as i had high hopes but the changes in the story and episodic dlc making it up as they go along.

Better off playing the originals once you push past the old graphics won't find many games that come close.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I just finished it myself yesterday and I think it's a good game. It's quite far away from a masterpiece though, 2 or 3 chapters were boring (including that one you mentioned with mechanical hands), side quests are extremely generic, the minigames... the less is talked about it the better, they are annoying as hell. However it get's much better towards the end
except that damn part where you have to climb like 59 fecking floors
. To me it's a 7/10 game, which makes it a good game.
There's an elevator.

Abraxas

I have put 20 hours into this. Not sure how far I am but given the nature of the game I feel it is enough to have a reasonable opinion.

It's just not that good. A massive, massive let down for fans of the original game. Graphics aside, the games are not in the same league. That was a masterpiece of adventure, this is completely linear and mundane. I did not expect a carbon copy remake as ultimately that would only be sellable to a limited number of people, so my expectations were set, however this has not reached what I expected even with that allowance.

This is everything that is wrong with many modern games. Side quests that are utterly boring. Filler content that is not interesting to play through or even to look at (the out of town corridors, I'm looking at you). A "go here do this approach" with minimaps and markers with no latitude to have any input as a player. It is more like a set of experiences in which you press a few buttons than anything worthy of thought.

I will give the combat some credit. There have been a couple of interesting battles that have been somewhat of a challenge and required a bit more than spam and the odd spell. Sometimes the party has had to be used, which should be expected in this combat.

Just not a great game, beggars belief stuff like this gets great reviews and something like Kingdom Come Deliverance which is genuinely unique, thought provoking and diverse with depth of systems gets slated. I guess this is why we get the stuff we do from the gaming industry, we positively reinforce nonsense.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have put 20 hours into this. Not sure how far I am but given the nature of the game I feel it is enough to have a reasonable opinion.

It's just not that good. A massive, massive let down for fans of the original game. Graphics aside, the games are not in the same league. That was a masterpiece of adventure, this is completely linear and mundane. I did not expect a carbon copy remake as ultimately that would only be sellable to a limited number of people, so my expectations were set, however this has not reached what I expected even with that allowance.

This is everything that is wrong with many modern games. Side quests that are utterly boring. Filler content that is not interesting to play through or even to look at (the out of town corridors, I'm looking at you). A "go here do this approach" with minimaps and markers with no latitude to have any input as a player. It is more like a set of experiences in which you press a few buttons than anything worthy of thought.

I will give the combat some credit. There have been a couple of interesting battles that have been somewhat of a challenge and required a bit more than spam and the odd spell. Sometimes the party has had to be used, which should be expected in this combat.

Just not a great game, beggars belief stuff like this gets great reviews and something like Kingdom Come Deliverance which is genuinely unique, thought provoking and diverse with depth of systems gets slated. I guess this is why we get the stuff we do from the gaming industry, we positively reinforce nonsense.
Sony exclusive innit.

Could be worse admittedly and be a Switch exclusive. We'd have a national day for the thing!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

@esmufc07 I did tell you.

Irwin99

It's just not that good.
Oh god! you haven't even got to the ending yet :nervous: I don't quite share your sentiments on it but the last two chapters and ending were hard to swallow for me as a fan. You never know you might like it though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yea, I thought the stairs route would be more fun with maybe some guys to fight in some levels, couldn't have been any more wrong :lol:
On my regular playthrough I took the elevator then found out about the stairs and used it for the hard mode run. Yeah, it sucked.

Abraxas

:lol: at that pic.

As a piece of entertainment I can understand people liking it and getting overall enjoyment which is the main thing that matters.

It's just a very lazy game mechanically. Which is kind of difficult to stomach when you've got iconic characters, story elements, a raft of sentiment among a willing fanbase. I honestly think gaming reviewers write up their stuff before they've even played the game these days, possibly leaning over a fat envelope of cash.

Minkaro

I think it’s great. I’ve never played the original, so I can’t compare, but I’ve had an absolute blast playing this.

Ainu

So I finished this yesterday and my earlier criticisms still stand. In fact, I'd say the game only got worse in the last few chapters, which I thought were complete nonsense. As a video game, I sort of hate it.

However, if there's one thing they got right, it's the characters. This may sound like faint praise because these characters already existed, but they still had to drag them into the modern gaming era and they could've made an absolute mess of it. Instead, they did them justice. In my head, these are now the definitive versions of Aerith, Tifa, Barret, etc, even when I'm replaying the original game (which I restarted immediately after finishing this one :lol:). I love what they did with the supporting cast as well. Just a shame about the video game side of it all.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So I finished this yesterday and my earlier criticisms still stand. In fact, I'd say the game only got worse in the last few chapters, which I thought were complete nonsense. As a video game, I sort of hate it.

However, if there's one thing they got right, it's the characters. This may sound like faint praise because these characters already existed, but they still had to drag them into the modern gaming era and they could've made an absolute mess of it. Instead, they did them justice. In my head, these are now the definitive versions of Aerith, Tifa, Barret, etc, even when I'm replaying the original game (which I restarted immediately after finishing this one :lol:). I love what they did with the supporting cast as well. Just a shame about the video game side of it all.
I thought Barret was over the top until I watched bits of the original and remembered that’s what he was actually like. Still a few cringe lines but not bad like I thought. I’m surprised they got Cloud right which is the one I thought they would screw up.

caid

Game end:
How do people feel about it? I thought its potentially a great way to throw things up in the air and add some jeopardy to the plot going forward. I hope they're done and dusted with the changing fate plot line going forward and will be back on a more familiar road, with no more extra lives. Tie up how the situation came about but drop the ghosts trying to drag the plot back onto the rails and let the chips fall where they may.