Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Art Vandelay

I haven't done a playthrough for a few years so can't quite remember.... are there any flash backs in midgar??? or is the first one at Kalm?
Not that I've seen, but there are scenes where Cloud freaks out in Midgar. Like @esmufc07 mentioned at the reactor and in the Honey Bee. There's a lot of times there's a voice in Cloud's head too, I can't remember if that's supposed to be Zach or Sephiroth or who it is. Seems to be friendly at times and then there's a bit that sounds like the Jenova reunion is being talked about. It's a bit confusing.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I've always felt FF7 is a bit slow to get going, the game really takes it up a notch when you get to Temple of the Ancients. From then on the story and the games goes to another level.

I'm going to have to properly replay this.

Last edited:

SiRed

Not that I've seen, but there are scenes where Cloud freaks out in Midgar. Like @esmufc07 mentioned at the reactor and in the Honey Bee. There's a lot of times there's a voice in Cloud's head too, I can't remember if that's supposed to be Zach or Sephiroth or who it is. Seems to be friendly at times and then there's a bit that sounds like the Jenova reunion is being talked about. It's a bit confusing.
The voices in his head were Jenova..... His mam

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
"At that point, we decided we're going to focus this game on Midgar and what happened in Midgar. And unfortunately, we can't say anything more about the future games after that, because we don't know ourselves, really. We really are still fleshing out that process and fleshing out what we're going to do for the second game in the project, and what kind of story is going to be in that, so we really can't tell you."

This is a bit concerning.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
"At that point, we decided we're going to focus this game on Midgar and what happened in Midgar. And unfortunately, we can't say anything more about the future games after that, because we don't know ourselves, really. We really are still fleshing out that process and fleshing out what we're going to do for the second game in the project, and what kind of story is going to be in that, so we really can't tell you."

It's fecking alarming. It's GoT all over again. If you're going to remake a game or retell a story you do as much as possible not to deviate. feck me these 'creative' types are so stupid.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

It's concerning that after five years of development for this first "game" they might not even know how to start designing the second one. Feels like milking a cash cow.

Capcom did it right with RE2. Take the game, reimagine it enough so it feels fresh, but stay loyal to the established pacing and story.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Oh no

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
At this point, I’m starting to wish they’d remade VI instead of the one I have such a strong sentimental attachment to.

Raw

In the trailer it looks like XVs battle system, please god don't let them use XVs battle system :(
They explained the battle system further. Essentially you mash square to attack normally which also builds up an ATB gauge (which also rises slowly with time). With an ATB gauge you can slow things down to a halt and select special moves like magic, summons or using items. Think they showed two ATB gauges for each character, maybe you can upgrade and get more?

Irwin99

I’m not sure why they feel the need to tamper with things in the story and pacing. There is a concern there.

Gameplay wise, I’m not too fussed about either turn based or action based. The safer option would be to leave it alone though. I believe Persona 5 sold really well in both the west and Japan which proves there is a market for turn based JRPGs and this game would sell on its name alone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you're going to remake something you might as well try to do something different with it. Literally remaking it beat for beat would be tedious and bereft of creativity. The only trick is for the version you create to not be shit.

Raw

It's going to take absolutely forever for them to finish this. However once they finish this they'll at least have the battle system and mechanics sorted for the next games, so they'll focus mainly on the environments and the story which should hopefully be quicker.

I wonder if EXP, materia, items, etc get carried over into the next installments? I certainly hope so. It'd suck if it just resets in each game, it wouldn't feel like your characters that you've developed.

Irwin99

In the words of the great Mr Krabs; "money".
I think the game will sell on it's name alone. Even if it's critically panned-which it won't be- it will make a ton of money because it is Final Fantasy 7.

If you're going to remake something you might as well try to do something different with it. Literally remaking it beat for beat would be tedious and bereft of creativity. The only trick is for the version you create to not be shit.
Just updated visuals, voice acting and Gold Saucer with the same plot and pacing would easily suffice for me but an expanded world be cool too. Just don't mess too much with the story please.

Art Vandelay

It's going to take absolutely forever for them to finish this. However once they finish this they'll at least have the battle system and mechanics sorted for the next games, so they'll focus mainly on the environments and the story which should hopefully be quicker.

I wonder if EXP, materia, items, etc get carried over into the next installments? I certainly hope so. It'd suck if it just resets in each game, it wouldn't feel like your characters that you've developed.
Unless the battle system and mechanics turn out to be cack and need to be redesigned between games.

I hope I'm wrong, but the more I think about this the more disastrous it seems like it's going to be.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think the game will sell on it's name alone. Even if it's critically panned-which it won't be- it will make a ton of money because it is Final Fantasy 7.

Just updated visuals, voice acting and Gold Saucer with the same plot and pacing would easily suffice for me but an expanded world be cool too. Just don't mess too much with the story please.
Yeah but that's my point. Why sell one FF7 game when you can sell two, or three, four or however many they decide to make by stretching the story and "exploring the lore". I bet they make a trilogy and the Weapons appear at the end of the second game which drastically changed how the open world looks because they go into full destruction mode.

Irwin99

Yeah but that's my point. Why sell one FF7 game when you can sell two, or three, four or however many they decide to make by stretching the story and "exploring the lore". I bet they make a trilogy and the Weapons appear at the end of the second game which drastically changed how the open world looks because they go into full destruction mode.
I actually wondered if most of the weapon battles would be DLC :rolleyes: but probably not.

I listened to a fan say that he finished the original Midgar playing at a snail pace recently (talking to every single NPC, taking his time etc.) in 5 hours before you reach the World Map. 20 hours to 40 hours in Midgar in the remake is a lot of time and a lot of expansion for just part one of the game. In the original a lot happens after Midgar and that's just for disc 1. They will have a lot of stuff to squeeze into part 2 in the remake.

Not being negative, just really curious as to how they're approaching this. Seems a strange design choice.

Art Vandelay

I actually wondered if most of the weapon battles would be DLC :rolleyes: but probably not.

I listened to a fan say that he finished the original Midgar playing at a snail pace recently (talking to every single NPC, taking his time etc.) in 5 hours before you reach the World Map. 20 hours to 40 hours in Midgar in the remake is a lot of time and a lot of expansion for just part one of the game. In the original a lot happens after Midgar and that's just for disc 1. They will have a lot of stuff to squeeze into part 2 in the remake.

Not being negative, just really curious as to how they're approaching this. Seems a strange design choice.
I've played through the original Midgar in the past few days, took my time and did everything possible(that I know of) and it would have been about 5 hours 30 mins if I hadn't spent 4 hours grinding Aerith's limit breaks and trying to steal better equipment. It took me just over 9 hours grinding included. So realistically it's 5 hours of content that they are turning into 2 blu ray discs of content. That to me seems like an extraordinary amount of changes which is not what I want at all.

Irwin99

I've played through the original Midgar in the past few days, took my time and did everything possible(that I know of) and it would have been about 5 hours 30 mins if I hadn't spent 4 hours grinding Aerith's limit breaks and trying to steal better equipment. It took me just over 9 hours grinding included. So realistically it's 5 hours of content that they are turning into 2 blu ray discs of content. That to me seems like an extraordinary amount of changes which is not what I want at all.
Yeah it does strike me as a strange design choice. They could explore the other reactors (I think we only destroy two in FF7) and the slums will certainly be be expanded. Maybe Yuffie might be brought in early as an extra character?

Art Vandelay

Yeah it does strike me as a strange design choice. They could explore the other reactors (I think we only destroy two in FF7) and the slums will certainly be be expanded. Maybe Yuffie might be brought in early as an extra character?
I think, unfortunately, we're going to see more Cloud and Sephiroth and their sexy bro-rivalry. It does look like they are showing more Avalanche from the trailers, which is fine by me. I just don't want them firing in way more Sephiroth and changing Aerith from flower girl to instant ancient.

Maybe they will fully expand on the cross dressing and the squatting competition finally! The scenes with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith in the sewers with turtle/lizard things are right after the Don Corneo bit when he drops them in the sewers. Hopefully after you play as Cloud in a dress for 10 hours.

I just fear it's all going to go a bit Solo.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't mind the change in battle system or they trying to milk players by making the game parts (although I do have concerns about how's that going to work) as long as they don't change the main history in the game. So we'll have to wait until game is released but the best approach would have been to not change stuff to this degree, most people just wanted the same game with better graphics and some improvements here and there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tempted to replay one of FF7 or FF8 now but I'm not sure if I've forgotten enough about them.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't mind the change in battle system or they trying to milk players by making the game parts (although I do have concerns about how's that going to work) as long as they don't change the main history in the game. So we'll have to wait until game is released but the best approach would have been to not change stuff to this degree, most people just wanted the same game with better graphics and some improvements here and there.
Oh, that's cool then.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Playing HITMAN at the moment. The first of the rebooted ones, which was published by Square Enix. I'm wondering if Square thought "hey, this episodic thing could be a real money maker with the right game".

Having said that I also spend my days wondering if people in the Ubisoft Montreal studios walk about speaking French to pretend that it makes them seem cultured.

BlackShark_80

From Yoshinori Kitase, Producer of FF7R:
"FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original game that goes much deeper into the world and characters of FINAL FANTASY VII than ever before.

Our goal with this project is to rebuild FINAL FANTASY VII for a new era. We’re not making a straight 1:1 copy or a simple remaster of the original game.

It’s a huge volume of work and data to re-imagine this world. Each game in the project will have a volume of content comparable to a standalone FINAL FANTASY. The disc version of the first game is actually a 2 Blu-Ray Disc set. This approach allows us to remake the original without having to scale back on everything players loved."

“While the development team finish the first game in the project, we are continuing to plan and outline the overall volume of content for the second.
Due to the work already done on the first game we anticipate development of the second game to be more efficient. We have our own internal schedule and plan, but for now we’d like to focus our information on the first game in the project.

The key creative values of the core FINAL FANTASY series are innovation, pushing boundaries and surprising players, this project shares these same values and the development team view it as the next mainline FINAL FANTASY release.

For the original core members of the development team, simply recreating the original game with improved graphics wasn’t enough to get us invested and excited about remaking VII. To return, we want to go beyond the original, telling a deeper story and providing a modern gaming experience. We really want to go above and beyond what is expected of a remake.

As well as some of the core members of the original development team, we also have a dedicated in-house team of international gaming talent. Many of our new team members were young fans who played the original VII when it was first released. It’s very exciting and exhilarating to work with this talented team on such an ambitious project."

“The first game in the project takes place in the eclectic city of Midgar, we chose to focus on Midgar as it best represents the world of VII as a location more than any other. Midgar is full of imagination with myriad influences and surprises around every corner.

While many people may think that Midgar is very dark at first glance, we have a design aesthetic where the city has strong elements of colour and variety. The lighting and colouring we are using throughout Midgar accentuate what is unique about FINAL FANTASY VII’s world. We decided not to use a photo-realistic approach with the design, but instead something more stylised, honouring the artistic designs and choices of the original.

A lot has changed since the release of the original FINAL FANTASY VII. Back then we didn’t have access to things like voice acting, performance and motion capture, or close-up cameras outside of cut-scenes. For FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE there’s a greater emphasis on character storytelling through the use of these techniques as well as some other new tech. This allows us to make these characters more expressive than ever, enhancing the levels of immersion and enjoyment through performance.

In REMAKE we are giving voice to the original FINAL FANTASY VII for the first time. By bringing in a new generation of actors, we hope to provide the best experience for original fans and new players."

“For the gameplay, we are aiming to create a new take on classic concepts with an accessible evolution of the ATB system giving you greater action with tactical control.

The system we’ve created retains the strategic decisions of controlling multiple party members, allowing you to select from a wide range of abilities and spells. You can control your favourite character while issuing orders to others, or leave them to AI. And choose when to switch to a different party member to make best use of their unique abilities in battle. This allows all players to choose and enjoy your favourite way of playing.

Finally, yes we still have Materia. You can use it to tailor your play style and abilities.

We’ll go into greater detail on lots more gameplay elements as we get closer to the release next year. For now, I hope you are all excited by what we revealed at E3 and we look forward to sharing more news and updates with you across the year ahead.”

Ainu

It all sounds like such a horrible idea. How long are we going to wait for the next installment? Another 4-5 years? It's such a ridiculously amibitious project that they'll probably never finish it and if they do, it's going to be at least 10-15 years or so. It's going to be such a strain on their resources as well. This has complete disaster written all over it.

GBBQ

It all sounds like such a horrible idea. How long are we going to wait for the next installment? Another 4-5 years? It's such a ridiculously amibitious project that they'll probably never finish it and if they do, it's going to be at least 10-15 years or so. It's going to be such a strain on their resources as well. This has complete disaster written all over it.
Its the trade off, FF7 was such an epic game and to remake it now with the level of detail expected in a modern game is a huge undertaking. So much of FF7 post Midgar is Cloud running around as an icon on a big map or going to relatively small villages to explore 3 or 4 houses. It just wouldn't pass muster in today's gaming.

Releasing the Midgar element will confirm interest, result in funding and probably reinvigorate the development.

As for people saying the Midgar content can be completed in 5 hours and its such a small location, the GTA series shows you can get years of mileage out of a single location once you keep the missions / content interesting. Can imagine there will be a lot of small raids against Shinra with opportunities for better weapons, materia etc.

Ainu

Its the trade off, FF7 was such an epic game and to remake it now with the level of detail expected in a modern game is a huge undertaking. So much of FF7 post Midgar is Cloud running around as an icon on a big map or going to relatively small villages to explore 3 or 4 houses. It just wouldn't pass muster in today's gaming.

Releasing the Midgar element will confirm interest, result in funding and probably reinvigorate the development.

As for people saying the Midgar content can be completed in 5 hours and its such a small location, the GTA series shows you can get years of mileage out of a single location once you keep the missions / content interesting. Can imagine there will be a lot of small raids against Shinra with opportunities for better weapons, materia etc.
Surely expanding on the Midgar section to such an extent only compounds the challenge of remaking the game. It's either going to make the rest of the remake feel rushed in comparison or ensure that it'll never, ever get finished because it's unrealistically ambitious. In my opinion they've dug themselves in a hole with his one.

GBBQ

Surely expanding on the Midgar section to such an extent only compounds the challenge of remaking the game. It's either going to make the rest of the remake feel rushed in comparison or ensure that it'll never, ever get finished because it's unrealistically ambitious. In my opinion they've dug themselves in a hole with his one.
No doubt, but probably the other option was to scrap the entire project as it would be 10 years of development with no return on investment before a full game would be ready for a single release.

Plenty of games have longevity in a relatively contained environment and we might never see anything post Midgar but I am still interested to revisit the game and characters and see how they tell the story differently this time. FF7 was one of the first games I played on the PS1 back when it came out and the story stands up pretty well on the remastered version (in spite of the improvements to graphics) so i am interested to see a fresh take on the same story.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Final fantasy is not and will not ever be GTA.
Feck I hate GTA.
Feck GTA.
GTA

Art Vandelay

The thing about the scope of the project is, did anyone ever ask for this? All the talk of remaking it for years I assumed it would be fixing up the graphics to modern standards, maybe tweaking a few mini games and modernising the cut scenes. It didn't need anything else, it still plays perfectly fine the way it is/was. Maybe the overworld could use a tweaking, but it would have sold like hotcakes for not even half the work. It didn't even need voice acting.

It was their own decision to go balls deep in a remake and they've turned it into a project that's worrying as a fan of the original and possibly beyond their ability to ever complete. I'll still buy it and in a lot of ways I'm looking forward to it, I'm just massively sceptical and I don't see it ending well at all. By the end of it I don't think it will be FF7 any more, it will end up a game with characters that look like Cloud and co but have dramatically changed due to how much of the content they've altered.

Raw

So assuming the game will be in 3 parts, the following will have to be covered. I put in italics what I think will get changed, severely shortened or completely cut out.
Part 1: Midgar
Part 2: Kalm, Chocobo Ranch, Mythril Mines, Junon, Costa del Sol, Mt. Corel, Gold Saucer, Corel Prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Cave of the Gi, Nibelheim, Mt. Nibel, Rocket Town, Temple of Ancients, Forgotten Capital
Part 3: Coral Valley Cave, Icicle Inn, Great Glacier, Gaea's Cliffs, Whirlwind Maze, Junon, Mideel, Mt. Corel, Fort Condor, Underwater Reactor, Rocket Town, Forgotten City, Midgar, Northern Cave

There is a shitload of stuff in this game and I have no idea how they're going to plan it all, unless they'll do more than 3 parts. And that's not even mentioning optional areas like Wutai, Sunken Gelnika, Lucrecia's Cave, Ancient Forest, Materia Caves, loads of Gold Saucer games (including Chocobo racing!) and returning to previous areas for more side content. A fun thing about FF7 (and other older FF games) is returning to old places to find something new after you gain access to transportation like cars, boats and airships. I highly doubt we'll get a world map like we did in the original so I've not got a clue how they'll approach this without just ignoring it.

Art Vandelay

So assuming the game will be in 3 parts, the following will have to be covered. I put in italics what I think will get changed, severely shortened or completely cut out.
Part 1: Midgar
Part 2: Kalm, Chocobo Ranch, Mythril Mines, Junon, Costa del Sol, Mt. Corel, Gold Saucer, Corel Prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Cave of the Gi, Nibelheim, Mt. Nibel, Rocket Town, Temple of Ancients, Forgotten Capital
Part 3: Coral Valley Cave, Icicle Inn, Great Glacier, Gaea's Cliffs, Whirlwind Maze, Junon, Mideel, Mt. Corel, Fort Condor, Underwater Reactor, Rocket Town, Forgotten City, Midgar, Northern Cave

There is a shitload of stuff in this game and I have no idea how they're going to plan it all, unless they'll do more than 3 parts. And that's not even mentioning optional areas like Wutai, Sunken Gelnika, Lucrecia's Cave, Ancient Forest, Materia Caves, loads of Gold Saucer games (including Chocobo racing!) and returning to previous areas for more side content. A fun thing about FF7 (and other older FF games) is returning to old places to find something new after you gain access to transportation like cars, boats and airships. I highly doubt we'll get a world map like we did in the original so I've not got a clue how they'll approach this without just ignoring it.
I definitely think you're right about Kalm. I suspect they are going to move everything that happens there (which is really just Cloud telling his mad Sephiroth story while Tifa doesn't call him on his bollocks) to Midgar. Maybe it will happen in Tifa's bar between Reactor missions and Aerith ends up in Avalanche or something.

I like Kalm though, it's relaxing after all the Shinra HQ and escaping madness. It's like taking a breath before you take on the world again while moving the story forward at the same time. There's not really much there though until Junon, except the Midgar Zolom and the brief scene with the Turks.