Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
After trying everything else, I tried to download a free Minesweeper game and that wouldn't even install without corrupting so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to initialise PS4. On the bright side, I'm sure I've managed to upload the save data of my games to the cloud. If I can't get them when I've reformatted the PS4, I'll cry.

Just hope I won't have to do the Scorpion fight again if it does work. On attempt number four of deleting the entire game and redownloading, I managed to progress to that section, spent the 10 or so minutes trying to kill that damn thing, then this message came up shortly after I won the battle.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think I'm going to find this combat frustrating. I just made it past the first boss having used all of the 17 potions in my bag and with Cloud dead. Is it supposed to be hard or am I just a ch00b?

Damien

Staff
I think I'm going to find this combat frustrating. I just made it past the first boss having used all of the 17 potions in my bag and with Cloud dead. Is it supposed to be hard or am I just a ch00b?
Guessing you mean the same one I did? I used about 13 of the 22 I had and Cloud was alive before the game crashed. I think it is meant to be a potion sink. Took damn long in the demo too.

Zen

No re-do it.... and use your ATB as it's more spells. Should be doable without losing so much potion - though you may lose all your ether, but I only had 2(Dame says he had 22 potion at this point, so theres prolly more Ether out there)....Barrett has cure too, so potion not ultra essential.

Quite good they get it in there early, so as to warn you square mashing isn't going to get you far.... well other than super long dodge and low damage attack battles.

Damien

Staff
No re-do it.... and use your ATB as it's more spells. Should be doable without losing so much potion - though you may lose all your ether, but I only had 2(Dame says he had 22 potion at this point, so theres prolly more Ether out there)....Barrett has cure too, so potion not ultra essential.

Quite good they get it in there early, so as to warn you square mashing isn't going to get you far.... well other than super long dodge and low damage attack battles.
He does? I only saw Lightning and Fire at that stage so guessing he gets it further down the line. Potion/Ether drops might be random but I think I only had 2 Ether as well. I used the ATB very often.

Damien

Staff
After trying everything else, I tried to download a free Minesweeper game and that wouldn't even install without corrupting so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to initialise PS4. On the bright side, I'm sure I've managed to upload the save data of my games to the cloud. If I can't get them when I've reformatted the PS4, I'll cry.
I did the quick initialise and the Minesweeper game downloaded and installed fine. Will try FF again in the morning but early signs look good.

Irwin99

Up to chapter 8 and I've actually enjoyed it more and more as the game's progressed. It has a few flaws but the characters really shine and the boss battles are very intense.

Ekeke

After watching someone stream the first hour, although playing the combat system badly ignoring the tutorial... It looks like the game has more strategy and menu choices than I thought it would. When I first saw the action combat I didnt think I'd find it appealing but now I'll download it and give it a try

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Do people play with japanese audio or english audio? I've chosen japanese as I find the voice acting much better, but much of little things said isn't in the subtitles.

Raw

Do people play with japanese audio or english audio? I've chosen japanese as I find the voice acting much better, but much of little things said isn't in the subtitles.
I've gone with English audio at first then my second playthrough will be Japanese. I usually do the opposite (like with Persona 5) but I guess I've always just associated FF games with English voices.

Gehrman

Tifa and the flower girl are really hot.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I choose English, see no point in using Japanese since I don't understand a syllable of it. Might as well pick wookie.

On second thought wookie would be awesome.

Gehrman

I choose English, see no point in using Japanese since I don't understand a syllable of it. Might as well pick wookie.

On second thought wookie would be awesome.
There's english subtitles though.

SuperiorXI

They are really building that emotional connection with Jessie, Biggs and Wedge :(
I noticed this too, certainly first time players are going to feel a lot worse when the inevitable happens. I think they've done a fecking A* job fleshing out these characters and providing a lot more detail in the backstory; it's exactly what I envisioned and hoped they would do while keeping the main storyline intact.

SuperiorXI

FYI: I'd advise against button mashing. Use the abilities of all characters whenever possible, and try to identify what would cause the enemies to stagger as if that happens you get a massive attack bonus. Use the assess materia once you have access to it as this will tell you enemies weak points.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
FYI: I'd advise against button mashing. Use the abilities of all characters whenever possible, and try to identify what would cause the enemies to stagger as if that happens you get a massive attack bonus. Use the assess materia once you have access to it as this will tell you enemies weak points.
I agree. You will come unstuck in a lot of battles if you’re just mashing the square button.

Aeris is a great character to play with.

Adamsk7

Original was my favourite game of all time until Breath of the Wild came out so I ordered the Deluxe version from Game. They’ve completely fooked everyone over with in store preorders so suffice to say I won’t be getting it any time soon. Seriously considering downloading it now....

However I did totally miss something in all the hype - am I right in thinking it’s not the whole game? Like it’s only up to Midgar? Hopefully the next “Chapter” doesn’t come out on the next consoles - I really don’t want any continuity issues with differing graphics etc. It’s a shame we can’t play it as one game, even with multiple CDs like the original.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Original was my favourite game of all time until Breath of the Wild came out so I ordered the Deluxe version from Game. They’ve completely fooked everyone over with in store preorders so suffice to say I won’t be getting it any time soon. Seriously considering downloading it now....

However I did totally miss something in all the hype - am I right in thinking it’s not the whole game? Like it’s only up to Midgar? Hopefully the next “Chapter” doesn’t come out on the next consoles - I really don’t want any continuity issues with differing graphics etc. It’s a shame we can’t play it as one game, even with multiple CDs like the original.
Yes this time it’s episodic so will be multiple parts (they haven’t said how many).

This part focuses on events upto the party leaving Midgar.

Art Vandelay

I agree. You will come unstuck in a lot of battles if you’re just mashing the square button.

Aeris is a great character to play with.
I don't like using her. Her ATB charges really slow and she's kind of useless until it does. I also have a habit of getting interupted just as she's about to do something causing her to lose the ATB charge. I prefer controlling Tifa and then just selecting different abilities for everyone else as she takes a bit more micromanaging to get the best out of her. Aerith is a bit of a cartoonish over the top weirdo, which is worrying me because she behaves very similiarly to a girl I know. Right down to the way she gets right up in Cloud's face while talking.

I like how they reworked a lot of the old music tracks, but the one they turned into a drum and bass/dance number between Sector 5 and Wall Market was driving me mental. I almost muted it. :lol:

Wall Market is quite the place.

Gehrman

I know, but I just see no added benefits to listening to something that is just random sounds. Gives me a feeling of disconnect.
I know it's just dubbing in games is usually terrible. Barret fx does not sound so awefully cheesy in japanese fx.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know it's just dubbing in games is usually terrible. Barret fx does not sound so awefully cheesy in japanese fx.
Hehe yeah Barret is so ridiculous Im surprised people arent saying he's a racist stereotype :lol:

Woodzy

Youre going to be getting a full game experience with it though, and certainly value for money.

I hate the that it is episodic and that I have to wait for a conclusion to the story, but this is a full game in its own right and I wouldn’t worry too much in that respect.

Continuity issue I can see where you are coming from, but they are probably well into development for the next episode tbh.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was meant to get this as a late birthday present from the missus. Still not got it. Planning my next round of emotional manipulation but it'll probably end in the same "aw feck aff stop talkin shite" as the last attempt.

Adamsk7

So does anyone know how I can get the digital version under £50? Seen on CDKeys £50 top up for £42 which, if I add £10 of my own money, would make the game £52 (it’s £59.99 on PSN). Anything better than doesn’t require different regions stores etc (can’t be bothered with that)?

Damien

Staff
I think my problems are finally over. Played it for an hour with no issues. Don't think I'll progress as fast as some of you have though, I've always been a sucker for fighting as much as I can for some reason.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think my problems are finally over. Played it for an hour with no issues. Don't think I'll progress as fast as some of you have though, I've always been a sucker for fighting as much as I can for some reason.
I think I'm going to find the combat really challenging too. I wish they had an option to turn on turn based combat.

padr81

Supports
Man City
When I first put this on it did some weird shit. First hour or so of the demo and
escape after the bombing were amazing but after the cutscene with Sepheroth
my character kept walking off to his left for no reason. At first I thought it was my control but it wasn't, it just kept moving like it was trying to force me onto a path but instead was just endlessly walking left into a wall. 2nd issue was audio being really, really weird through headphones in the controller where audio would get all crackly and reverbish on certain scene for no reason, I plug out my phones, plug them back in and its fine so likely a ps4 hardware problem but only ever happened on this game.

I found the arrival is sector 7 really annoying, having full control but not being able to move anywhere bar towards the 7th heaven felt clunky as hell. I also find alot of the sidequest boring monster hunts.

The rest of the game has been brilliant and most my performance issues have stopped. I'm about 14 hours in and loving it now.