Gaming Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, PS5) | Put discussion of chapters etc in labelled spoilers as people will be at different points

Lebowski

They did hint at that when shapeless cloaked ghost number 6 flew close to the camera outside Tifa's bar. I think that's too simple and given that they've already had a sword fight and lobbed buildings around the only logical story beat is that it turns out that Cloud is Sephiroth's dad from the future because Jenova also fancied him and he banged her after rejecting all the others.

Thus creating Sephiroth in the future and now he's back to right wrongs and collect on the child support Cloud has been dodging with his "no memory" scheme. They will have a shoving match in an industrial wasteland on the outskirts of Livingston in the finale which fades to black as Sephiroth puts Cloud in a headlock and Cloud starts punching him in the arse while shouting "It was only a one night stand. You were a mistake."
To be honest if it had orchestral versions of the original soundtrack I'd still probably buy it on day 1.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I wish @Damien would hurry the feck up
There were two days when I didn't play it at all so that has put me back a bit. Finished Chapter 17 and started Chapter 18 about 10 minutes before I was going to bed

wanted to go to a bit where I could save but it was what felt like 30 mins of road action. I was battling the six wheel pain in the arse, died and decided to switch off for the night.

No idea how I am going to do Chapter 17 on hard. On normal it was fun for the metal centipede on the Tifa/Aerith side as I didn't bother giving one of them any materia at all as didn't expect the game to suddenly have a battle that involved all four characters, and the other just had generic materia with no healing or spells as I was trying to build up some AP so... yeah. Rufus was a bit annoying too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm starting to warm a little more to the game if I keep accepting that the developers at modern Square are all just leather jacket wearing, sunglasses in doors, overgrown man-children who draw hentai dragongirls in their spare time.

Damien

Staff
Just got the platinum!

Hard mode towards the end was, well, hard. First 2/3 of the game was quite a breeze (apart from one or two obstacles) but Chapter 17 is absolutely insane. The last boss on Chapter 17 gave me more trouble than the last boss in the whole game. You really have to prepare beforehand, know what materia to have for each boss fight and not waste too much MP.
Congrats!

Damien

Staff
I think the best thing after the credits went up was

seeing that the bike mini game could be skipped. Feck going through Ch18 bike on hard

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think the best thing after the credits went up was

seeing that the bike mini game could be skipped. Feck going through Ch18 bike on hard
I think the mini game is for Chapter 4 and the fight with Roche, not sure it applies to chapter 18? Though I could be wrong.

Lebowski

Tifa is now my favourite character to play by far.

Her combos, cancels and stances/levels feel almost like a fighting game character and her speed mitigates her low defence. Dancing around enemies and hitting like a truck is great fun and really pushed the combat system to another level.

I haven't beaten the game yet but I would be surprised if she isn't everybody's go to character for laying down damage on staggered enemies. Even just learning the dive kick cancels so you can dish out a bit of extra damage is super useful.

I love the level of detail they put into designing her moveset. Controlling her by default and only swapping to other characters when they have ATB makes the combat flow really nicely.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Tifa is now my favourite character to play by far.

Her combos, cancels and stances/levels feel almost like a fighting game character and her speed mitigates her low defence. Dancing around enemies and hitting like a truck is great fun and really pushed the combat system to another level.

I haven't beaten the game yet but I would be surprised if she isn't everybody's go to character for laying down damage on staggered enemies. Even just learning the dive kick cancels so you can dish out a bit of extra damage is super useful.

I love the level of detail they put into designing her moveset. Controlling her by default and only swapping to other characters when they have ATB makes the combat flow really nicely.
Starshow is great!

AaronRedDevil

How long would it take to beat? Just doing the main missions on easy. First time playing ff7, on chapter 3, so far so good.

Damien

Staff
I think the mini game is for Chapter 4 and the fight with Roche, not sure it applies to chapter 18? Though I could be wrong.
I did a quick check on PSNProfiles and it said you could in the tips for hard mode.

How long would it take to beat? Just doing the main missions on easy. First time playing ff7, on chapter 3, so far so good.
30-35 hours maybe, probably less. I did normal mode in 50 hours but I did all the side quests and I was still one of the slowest of the people in this thread to complete it. Cutting out the side quests and not having to repeat certain battles cuts a fair bit of time.

AaronRedDevil

I did a quick check on PSNProfiles and it said you could in the tips for hard mode.

30-35 hours maybe, probably less. I did normal mode in 50 hours but I did all the side quests and I was still one of the slowest of the people in this thread to complete it. Cutting out the side quests and not having to repeat certain battles cuts a fair bit of time.
Cool cheers

Lebowski

Especially when he constantly casts reflect on you so you can't even heal yourself!
Have they carried over the old trick from the original where you cast cure all on an enemy wirh reflect and it heals your entire party? There was even a way to game the reflect mechanic so that one spell would rebound multiple times I think.

Lebowski

Starshow is great!
Starshower into basic combo followed by focused strike is insane and feels like playing with infinite ATB.

Her moves just look so fecking epic too, you hit L2 to use another character's ability and she's slow mo somersaulting 10 feet in the air about to flip kick some poor bastard in the face.

It has now reached the point where I get mad at the game when it goes to the Cloud-only bits and forces me not to have her in my party.

Raw

Have they carried over the old trick from the original where you cast cure all on an enemy wirh reflect and it heals your entire party? There was even a way to game the reflect mechanic so that one spell would rebound multiple times I think.
I'm not sure actually. I don't think you can even cast cure on enemies, unless they're undead. I never tried it though.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I've avoided this thread because I went casual and hardly played it last week. I'm now just past the train graveyard and I've got to say that this game is way way better than what I thought it would be.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’ve really really grown to love the battle system. I also love the increased difficulty aswell. FFs in general have always been fairly easy, but this is challenging in the right ways. I don’t really get frustrated when I die, I’m kind of excited to tinker with my load out and adapt my strategy to overcome whichever boss/enemy I’m struggling with. Hope they don’t change it too much for the second game.

Irwin99

They're going to have to Yuffie us pretty early in part 2 to ensure some of the materia stays relevant. Everybody has the final Ice, Fire, Lightning and Wind spells and several HP and MPS ups if you can load your save from part 1. I'd be absolutely fine with Yuffie mugging us although i'm sure some people wouldn't. It'd be fun way to start from scratch again imo.

I presume that characters might go past the 9999 health cap too?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They're going to have to Yuffie us pretty early in part 2 to ensure some of the materia stays relevant. Everybody has the final Ice, Fire, Lightning and Wind spells and several HP and MPS ups if you can load your save from part 1. I'd be absolutely fine with Yuffie mugging us although i'm sure some people wouldn't. It'd be fun way to start from scratch again imo.

I presume that characters might go past the 9999 health cap too?
I would assume so. I think the fact they have limited certain Materia and capped you at level 50 indicates they’ll allow you to carry on your progress. Hopefully the enemies/bosses are scaled up aswell to give you a challenge.

Really looking forward to see how they manage Yuffie. I think Wutai has serious potential, it was massively under-utilised in the original, so looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I hate the level cap. I think it should go to 100 in any rpg and they could just have introduced a ng++. We will have to wait 3 or 4 years minimum for the next patt do who carrs.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I’ve really really grown to love the battle system. I also love the increased difficulty aswell. FFs in general have always been fairly easy, but this is challenging in the right ways. I don’t really get frustrated when I die, I’m kind of excited to tinker with my load out and adapt my strategy to overcome whichever boss/enemy I’m struggling with. Hope they don’t change it too much for the second game.
Yeah, the hard mode really adds´'s souls like experience in ng+.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm on chapter six and enjoying it a lot. Feels a bit like they took the good parts of XIII and XV and mashed them into a game where they improved upon all the weak aspects. The linearity of XIII mixed with the combat of XV and drastic improvements to both. It looks great, it's challenging, they did a great job with the characters, and the soundtrack is stunning. I don't really think we could've asked for much more, they made the game modern whilst keeping enough of the nostalgia and core elements to make it a true remake.

Also bonus points because I honestly expected it to be crap after all the delays.

Although they made Jessie a much better character than Tifa, I can only assume that was not on purpose :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They made Jessie into a character where every time she looks at Cloud all she sees is a giant throbbing cock.

Damien

Staff
I would assume so. I think the fact they have limited certain Materia and capped you at level 50 indicates they’ll allow you to carry on your progress. Hopefully the enemies/bosses are scaled up aswell to give you a challenge.

Really looking forward to see how they manage Yuffie. I think Wutai has serious potential, it was massively under-utilised in the original, so looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
I think they'll reset everything for the next game. Cap is just what it is for balancing purposes for this one.

Raw

I think they'll reset everything for the next game. Cap is just what it is for balancing purposes for this one.
That's what I think too. They'll set the level to around what you usually are when you leave Midgar in the original. Something between 10-15.

As for materia it'll probably just be the basic ones. Maybe they'll let you have some bonus materia depending on what you did in part 1.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Next game will likely be next gen in 3 or 4 years so I'm not sure how they could possibly keep your data anyway. They'll reset it and probably change the combat system around a bit anyway. They call it "episodic" but these are full standalone games.

SuperiorXI

Next game will likely be next gen in 3 or 4 years so I'm not sure how they could possibly keep your data anyway. They'll reset it and probably change the combat system around a bit anyway. They call it "episodic" but these are full standalone games.
They could write an algorithm that enhanced the enemies enough to make them a challenge depending on your stats/materia.

Lebowski

I’ve really really grown to love the battle system. I also love the increased difficulty aswell. FFs in general have always been fairly easy, but this is challenging in the right ways. I don’t really get frustrated when I die, I’m kind of excited to tinker with my load out and adapt my strategy to overcome whichever boss/enemy I’m struggling with.
I went from thinking the combat system was a chaotic simplistic mess to really loving it. It's like a super forgiving Souls game that makes you feel like you're controlling a badass because the move animations are so beautifully animated.

Although they made Jessie a much better character than Tifa, I can only assume that was not on purpose :lol:
Just wait until you get to grips with Tifa's combat mechanics. She plays like a fighting game character with cancel combos and stances/levels.

Once you start cancelling blockstrings into dive kicks it's a slippery slope until you have to eventually give in and buy a full size Tifa love pillow. At least that's my excuse.