Finishing 3rd, 33 points off PL winners, and no Trophy (yet) is utter rubbish and shouldn't be celebrated...

Chief123

Yep.

This season we have finished with more points than Moyes' season...

2 more points.
This kind of nonsense needs to stop. It is such a weak argument. Comparing points from other seasons while ignoring the context of the season.

Based on this nonsense, we finished 2nd with Jose Mourinho on more points (81) than the season we won the treble (79) in 1999. Does that make joses team better than the treble winning one? Absolutely not! So please dont bring this bollocks about us only finishing 2 more points than Moyes season because Jose finished with 2 more points than one of our best teams ever who achieved something unprecedented.

Joses team would not have a single player that gets into the treble winning team. They weren’t fit to lace the boots of the 99 team.
So please stop this nonsense of comparing points because based on the above, it destroys your narrative and just makes you look really stupid if I'm honest.

OP has clearly lost the plot.

basically we should only celebrate if we win the premier league or european cup. Well screw me....there’s not much to celebrate in this sport is there!!

Listar

People celebrate progress... Thats a life worth living. Ever the pessimist is not the way to live. Its not as if us having an attitude like OP will change the direction of the club. The main thing is Ole and the squad are not resting on their laurels so nothing we need to voice our concerns over.

Listar

Couldn't resist. OPs' expectations for this season and us finishing 3rd gives him good reason for moaning.....
Putting Arsenal to finish second should invalidate any opinion of said person. :cool:

Additional note: that thread is a good reflection of people's expectations. They can't now come in and say wow we didn't win the title sack Ole.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It’s a crap league season indeed, but it was utterly abysmal in January. I’m in the opinion that it’s a huge improvement. We are heading the right direction. Imagine if no CL football. No big names will come to us, and some of ours may leave, and we will get even worse than when we were in January. We might get relegated next season.

TheLord

The overall quality of play has improved, some players have performed really well, the future looks bright, and most importantly, the mood of the players/management/fans has lifted. These are good enough reasons to be upbeat.

However, our immediate future depends on how well the transfer window pans out. United transfer rumours make a lot of noise in the press every year. Almost every player is linked with us! And 90%+ of these rumours are rubbish.

The current starting eleven and the squad players will not mount any title challenge next year or the year after that. We need reinforcement.

I see plenty of reasons be optimistic, while acknowledging that this can be one of the many false dawns we've had in the last few years.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's not about where we finished, it's about how we finished. We may have finished 2nd under Mourinho, but that didn't feel like a 2nd place finish. We played horrible football and I didn't see us as a club "on the way up". This is different. This isn't us celebrating 3rd place like Arsenal fans celebrated their 4th place trophy for years. This is about some optimism finally being back at the club. This is about finally being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. We are heading in the right direction. If the OP can't see that, then he's just a miserable prat who is just pretending that he's better than everyone else. This team is finally moving in the right direction and that's worth celebrating. It sucks that it took this long for that to happen, but at least it is happening now...

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
What type of thread would the OP have if his prediction before the season became true?

Is this actually for real? :lol: :lol:

Why didn’t this thread even make 11 pages?! I’m not sure why cynics don’t realise that it’s virtually impossible to go from 6th to 1st, and that SAF, Chelsea, City and Klopp all had to take incremental steps over 4 or more seasons to get to the very top.

I’m still feeling great about finishing 3rd and really enjoying the experience as a supporter. We’ve completely dominated Liverpool in the news since Sunday, and the entire conversation around the club is very positive, especially compared to end of last season.

Most critically there is stability around the team management. And gossip on how to capitalise on this forward step including big and exciting transfers and removing dead wood.
Great post!

But on a side note - aren’t you Poch’s #1 fan?:drool:

OP is such an attention seeker.
I agree. Even his arguments have been weak.

Also - it’s a tad bit disrespectful and shallow-minded of him to refer to our finish as ‘utter rubbish’ while also assuming some of us are small-minded enough to ‘celebrate’ finishing 33 points behind the scousers.

Firstly, some of us may not want to refer to the situation as ‘Utter Rubbish’. It’s the journey that counts and for once we’re all excited for the next season instead of dreading it.

Secondly, the word celebration has a different meaning for everyone. Some of us are celebrating the drastic improvement from first half of season to second, some of us are celebrating being back in the CL which seemed unlikely, some of us are celebrating a better environment & atmosphere around the club which had seemed way too gloomy for a club of our stature for a long time, some of us are celebrating our club rediscovering our identity. Point is there is so much to celebrate yet so much still left to do. But he seems to assume we are contempt with our present situation.

We are also fans just like him and sure we’ve been used to celebrating winning titles every season but we’re also not naive enough to expect as many titles so soon again. So we’re making do with whatever we can celebrate at the moment. At least we’re headed in the right direction for once after a long time.

The subject line could’ve been more respectful in my opinion. Credit should be due when deserved and Ole/the players totally earned it the way they turned it around from Jan. I’m sure the scousers didn’t start railing their manager and players for finishing 4th consecutively in Klopps first two full seasons with that team and start a discussion calling it utter rubbish.
[/QUOTE]

vidic blood & sand

Dont think anyone would have dreamed we would have finished 3rd in November December. In light of where we were and where we were heading, and the overall opinions about Ole, we have had a very decent finish to the season.
Celebrating is bit much, but it's a very satisfying conclusion to the season. May win a trophy too,

Jibbs

Where did anyone say that? You made a specific statement and been proven totally wrong.
Time to jog on.
Proven wrong by who... you? The point was not that all will have to agree, I said that as a figure of speech. The point was even after spending more than 200 m in one year, he couldn't improve on the accumulated points. He hasn't instilled any signature playing style, and can only improve the side by spending big.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Glass half empty eh?

• Things have been grim since Fergie retired. Unless youve been in a coma the last 7 years you cant expect us to walk the league any longer
  • Who cares about points? Especially comparing them to an extremely overperforming Liverpool side. They are good yes but not nearly as good as their point haul suggests
  • Our prefered starting XI can take on anyone on their day and is still very young. Most have yet to hit their peak
  • August-December was shite, but context here matters. Anyone would struggle when missing 3-4 of their best players, Especially when the backup are dross like Lindgard and Pereira
  • We are still in a rebuild. First XI is not too shabby but we still lack depth and some top quality in certain areas
  • 3rd and CL fotball was the target this year and we managed that. We also have a fair shout at the EL. Qf is in the box pretty much and from the remaining teams Inter are the biggest hurdle. If we play like we have since December we are favourites IMO
  • Greenwood.

Kag

Don't take me seriously, I am just replying to WUM's wum post that 'if you don't think like me, then feck up', which is a rehash of 'if you don't believe in Moyes, feck off and support City/PSG' and other posts that have been circulating here for years now.

For what is worth, I actually think that your post is biased too. Sure, we played dour for large parts under Mourinho. We also played dour for large part under Ole, in fact, the majority of time we played unwatchable football. The great spell was after Spurs game and lasted until Soton game when we were not only winning easily, but we were playing so nicely, and I was waking up real early (8 hour difference) in weekends to watch us play. So yep, that part was great. A large part of the season, was actually worse than anything under Mourinho. We actually scored less goals in this 'positive' season than in the 'negative' season we finished 2nd under Mourinho. We also conceded more despite that we 'fixed' our defense. And surprise surprise, when Mourinho got sacked, he had more points than Ole at that part of this season.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Mourinho out more than most. Early on the summer of 2018 it looked like it is game over, and I am glad that he was fired. Ole is a better manager for us IMO, and by removing Mourinho we kept Martial and Pogba, two excellent players. But please, let's stop rewriting the history, and making this season better than it was, or making Mourinho's seasons worse than they were.
Mourinho had a better squad of players to work with, though. He’d wasted a fortune on attacking players, a new midfield and a new central defensive partnership and the football was worsening by the week. This season, I genuinely believe that the team achieved in line with its quality up until the the conclusion of the January window. Bruno wasn’t here and Pogba wasn’t either. I’m really not exaggerating either.

If you think I am, go and look at the team we fielded that lost against Newcastle back in November. Our full backs were Dalot and Young. Our front four was Pereira, Mata, James and an out of sorts Rashford. We had Fred and McTominay in midfield. That’s a midtable team, whether it’s managed by Ole or Klopp or Guardiola.

So let’s get it right. The football was dour and unwatchable because the players weren’t good enough. With the wrong injuries, they’re still not good enough. It’s no surprise that since the arrival of Bruno, the return of Pogba and the breakthrough of Greenwood that we’ve been a much better team to watch. These are class players we’re talking about - a far cry from a creative three of James, Pereira and a fairly finished Mata.

The squad was absolutely threadbare at the start of the season and Ole (seemingly) was willing to allow for some short term pain for long term gain. I don’t think he expected Pereira and Lingard to be so bad and he clearly didn’t plan for Pogba to spend three quarters of the season injured. That made the job harder, and it’s why I don’t really give a toss about what happened up until January. It isn’t even relevant now. We’re a different team with different players. It’s up to the club to back Ole with more players so we don’t end up in that position again.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
In the end none of the structural problems with the club have been addressed and that's the real worry. You could argue that scraping the bare minimum on the field is exactly what will keep us in this no man's land of mediocrity for decades. Exactly what happened to Arsenal and Wenger, the master of scraping fourth place.

Mr. Christian

It was a much needed step to progress where we want to go - what on earth are you going on about.

If you expected more this season then you are a bit mental.
I have to agree. A lot of positives, especially looking forward. And given the post SAF boring mediocrity we have been used to, I’d say this season has been a big step in the right direction.

Mr. Christian

It was essential to get CL to progress the club.

We were miles behind top 4 & we clawed it back playing exciting football (until last few games where everyone is knackered)

Theirs plenty of plus points this season. We can be happy with the progress.

I personally fist pumped when the match ended but that's as far as it went.

I'm looking at the bigger picture, I seen yesterday as a massive step in the right direction. It's not where we ultimately want to be of course & next season if we replicate this season isn't good enough.

We need to add to our squad & massively close the gap with the current top 2. Next season we won't win the league, but we should be targeting a decent challenge & hopefully win it the following year.
Should we get 2 or ideally 3 new signings then there’s no reason we can’t mount a serious challenge next season. Surely that has to be the aim.

GazTheLegend

I don't think the manager or the players celebrated when we beat Lecister City. This shows the standards that are being set by Ole. He knows that the club needs to be competing or be Champions. The players may have been happy with 3rd place finish since we play CL and their contracts would also have better pay with CL and we are competitive in transfer market.

3rd place finish is also better than 4th since we get more money from PL for the finish which can be invested in the squad. Few seasons back when AW was Gunners manager they celebrated 4th place finish like they have won PL. The standards are getting improved at the club rejoice for the same.
Great post, I noticed that too. There were no celebrations from Ole, which actually sort of vindicates the op's point (but not the sentiment)

Amerifan

I'm reading lots of posters essentially celebrating what has been one of the crappest seasons overall in years, and it's hypocritical imo as well as a little pathetic.

This has been a fecking crap season, dippers winning the PL, no trophies yet and with Utd closer in points to relegation zone than to the top of the PL.

I've seen multiple posters claim this is their favourite season post Fergie (!!??). Since Fergie retired we've...

Finished 2nd - 19 points off winning the PL

Won an FA Cup

Won the Europa League

Won the League Cup

How the feck is finishing 3rd, no trophy, 33 points off the top, 32 points off the relegation zone now something to be fecking celebrated?

Ole should no doubt keep the job after securing CL footy, but please, please don't put this manager's plight above that of Utd itself, because it's an easy slide into mediocrity.

There are plus points about this season - few decent signings, one really special signing, more goals - but there's nothing that any fan of Man Utd should be actively celebrating.

It was a crap season, and the attitude should be, 'must do better next time', not 'that'll do', and certainly not, 'yay, what an achievement!'.
Young squad of good signings growing together under developing manager for the win.

Morpheus 7

I don't think anyone is celebrating but it's a big step forward. We haven't been beaten in the league since January 22nd. The team started to play much better football and got some momentum. Considering how many points we were off third it's ending okay. The securing CL money with getting the adidas money renewed, it's a good sign of attracting and bringing in top players. The rise of Greenwood, combined with Martial and Rashford playing well is great. Bruno and Pogba showing glimpses of real creativity, the future looks really good and United are on the up. Considering how bleak it looked in the first half of the season, it's encouraging.

We knew our biggest rival had the league by Christmas. We looked way off it as a team, then Fred and Scott started to play well. The performances started to come with Rashford looking great. It's been a season cut in two for us. Ole was ready to be sacked and it felt like groundhog day again, so much uncertainty. He rode it out and the results came and we stuck in there. It's a big step where we need to get. We are not going to be worse next year and are moving forward. The football has been much better to watch. Fans look forward to the games properly again. We shouldn't be celebrating top 4, we should be happy a corner is being turned and recognize progress.

Pavl3n

I'm reading lots of posters essentially celebrating what has been one of the crappest seasons overall in years, and it's hypocritical imo as well as a little pathetic.

This has been a fecking crap season, dippers winning the PL, no trophies yet and with Utd closer in points to relegation zone than to the top of the PL.

I've seen multiple posters claim this is their favourite season post Fergie (!!??). Since Fergie retired we've...

Finished 2nd - 19 points off winning the PL

Won an FA Cup

Won the Europa League

Won the League Cup

How the feck is finishing 3rd, no trophy, 33 points off the top, 32 points off the relegation zone now something to be fecking celebrated?

Ole should no doubt keep the job after securing CL footy, but please, please don't put this manager's plight above that of Utd itself, because it's an easy slide into mediocrity.

There are plus points about this season - few decent signings, one really special signing, more goals - but there's nothing that any fan of Man Utd should be actively celebrating.

It was a crap season, and the attitude should be, 'must do better next time', not 'that'll do', and certainly not, 'yay, what an achievement!'.
Utter rubbish. That's what this post and thread are.
Not even worth my time elaborating why is that.

A-man

Celebrating that it finally looks like a kind of football I enjoy watching and a football with potential for better results.

JakeTheRed

At the start of the season, you're telling me that you wouldn't take third, behind City & Liverpool? Absolutely, I reckon the majority of us in here would have.

How about half way into the season? When we were playing absolutely rubbish?

We've done brilliantly/a stroke of luck to overtake Chelsea & Leicester (with the latter dropping a lot of points/momentum).

Our fans are feeling the positive vibes in the club right now and let's hope that it will spill over into next season and we push on from there. Because, for the first time in years, we look to be moving in the right direction and actually playing some decent attacking football.

We aren't celebrating being 33 points behind Liverpool, because they have been the best team in the league and deservedly won it too. We are celebrating a hopeful upward trajectory and making the best of our shit first half of this season.

Steve Bruce

Should we get 2 or ideally 3 new signings then there’s no reason we can’t mount a serious challenge next season. Surely that has to be the aim.
It's always the aim, but we always have to be realistic as well.

Next season if we can stay within touching distance & close the gap to single figures then it's another step in the right direction.

I think next season is about being comfortably top 3 & hanging with the top 2 for as long as possible.

Add to that team & hopefully in 2 years time we'll be champions or damn close.

No way can we bridge that gap in 1 season. Patience is needed.

Chief123

Yes, I remember at least 5 clubs were after his signature but he choose us.
Shit response.
Zero clubs were after Zidane when he became manager of Madrid. Ended up winning 3 European cups in 3 years.
Baseless point.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We all agreee that Ole is s limited manager with limited ability. He only got the job because he is a man united legend, and brought that feel good factor with him. Any other guy and the same class of 92 and their cronies in english media would have their knives out. Yes, we had injury crisis, but that is what management is about. He got to spend close to 150 m on three players. That is not an small amount by any means.
I am in no way saying that Ole has not brought positive changes and improvement signs are not there. My point is we have amassed exactly the same points we did last year after spending 150m. There should have been an improvement in points tally. We should have finished with at least 10 more points.

Strangely I think you'll find that we don't all agree with that, most don't agree with that, and, annoying to you I'm sure: He got the job based on performance, not status. I will however agree that he has KEPT the job part because of his status, but also over the clubs commitment to the project. A common belief that the change in direction will take time.

The players he purchased have all had from very to extremely positive contributions to the club during their first season. The problem has not been players bought, it has been players present.

Now, I went out of my way to elaborate on why this massive negativity is wildly short sighted. Please feel free to have a read in the quoted post below.

Offf.... my man. You're missing the point. By a whole universe.

Manchester United is, wether you want to or not, unlike most clubs in the sense that we have a enormous heritage after Sir Alex retired. 26 years as a manager in a football world where the average term for a Premier league boss is 1.8 years. Most fans under the age of 35~ of this club has really only known football with Sir Alex in charge, and the years following his retirement.

There are a few strong characteristics that defines Manchester United:

A) Continuity
B) The Academy
C) Stellar recruitment
D) Winning mentality

Now, you can disagree with all that and act a bit spoiled while you look to other clubs and admire what they are doing like a petulant toddler, or you can take a seat and reflect on what this club actually is. Because if you want your club to buy every world star imaginable, buy a Manchester City jersey and go enjoy the echo from the stands at the Etihad.

Since Sir Alex retired we've seen the gross dismantling of A) - Lack of focus on B) - Spectacular failures of C) and D) coming and going like the tide.

Instead of nurturing the heritage after Ferguson, the board overseen the decline into a mish-mash of marquee signings, expensive failures, the worst contract in football, lack of continuity and direction, lack of great youth development, abhorrent contracts and loss of the Premier Leauge throne.

We have spent the money and more than our counterparts, and we have exactly what to show for it? That's right, a 2nd in the league, a EL trophy and some forgettable silverware. The ENTIRE identity of this team has been gone and forgotten and attempted replaced by a buyers club mentality that has failed in spectacular fashion. So you don't think we have a lot to celebrate? I'd rather argue that we have a LOT to celebrate. But first of all let me just rephrase what the club has said several times:

We are in the middle of a rebuild. - A REBUILD. The manager has been VERY voical about this being a process that will take years to complete. Ed Himself has been vocal about this being a rebuild. They've identified that they are on the wrong path, and are commited to getting back to, as they say, 'The Untied Way'. I don't understand why people have such a massively hard time with this concept, so let me just use the most common phrase in the world: Rome wasn't build in a day. For the first time since Sir Alex retired, the club and manager are fully on a clear path with a common goal with the backing of the board. The goal is to reclaim the identity of this club, and that takes time. Now, I am sorry if that displeases you and fans with a similar disposition for the patience of a gant, but that is the reality we find ourselves in. The club isn't even focusing on mounting a title challenge next year. The spoken goal is the year following, that is when the club expects to be at a place where they can compete for the PL trophy and CL trophies again through the following key factors:

Youth deveopemnt coming to fruition
Player purchases who have contiued developing
Continuity in the squad
Continuity in the coaching staff
Continuity in the manager.

IF you lack patience, you're supporting the wrong club. If you think you've had enough patience, blame the former managers and player recruitment for finding ourselves where we are today. They are at fault for this process having to take place, not the 19/20 version of Manchester United.

So what is there to celebrate? Well, as it turns out.. a LOT.

1) The project is developoing as the club wants. There was a goal this season: Secure Champions league, and we did that. They wrere realistic about the capabilities of the squad and they made it over the finishing line. We've had some high peaks and deep valleys. It should be a surprise to no one because the bloody manager said that is what we should expect this season. It's almost, so very almost, like he had somewhat of an idea of how the season would pan out. Ole knew what he was talking about, who would have thought?

2) Player recruitment has been phenomenal. Across the board player recruitment of 19/20 gets a B+. Overall we recruited no dead weight, and promoted solid, solid players from the academy.

Daniel James has overall been the weakest player to come in, but even he has contributed a impressive 6 assists in the PL this season, which is enouh for joint third with Martial, and 1 behind Rashford and Bruno overall. He is only 22 and very much still developing. He's currently projecting to be a good rotational player and impact sub.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has fixed a enormous problem from last season: our right back. Whereas before it was a significant problem, now I feel quite relieved if they are attacking down the right flank. He is the best defensive rightback in the league by some margin, and has taken good strides going forward in the latter half of the season. Also 22 years old and still a developing player. A lot of posters use Trent Alexander-Arnold against him with regards to offensive production, but if your only argument is 1 guy in football, then you don't have an argument to begin with.

Marcus Rashford has nearly doubled is previous goal scoring total on a season from 18/19. At 22 he's one of the best prospects in football. Before his injury he was on a solid trajectory to compete for the golden boot. For us who enjoy stats, his xG stats indicated that he should have been the Premier Leauge top scorer this season before his injury. He's wasted a lot of chances, but also generated some enormous goals, like the Chelsea free kick.

Mason Greenwood - Age 18 - A superstar in the making. I predicted 10 goals on the season for him. He netted 10: In the Premier League. Enough for joint 21st overall. Not too bad for a player who'se primary contribution comes in 2020. 19 goals overall on the season for a 18year old is sensational and puts him in the same echelon as other greats at the same age.

Brandon Williams, Age 19 - Gave Luke Shaw real competiiton for the Left Back position, a couple Player of the Match appearances and overall an incredible breakout season. He's still so young that he is nowhere near the player he will develop into the next seasons yet.

Anthony Martial - Still only 24 years of age about to hit his prime years, record goal scoring season matching Rashford at 17 on the season. His first year being givent he number 9 role, and he's taken it with both hands. Remember the player that Ole yelled at during warmup for the Cardiff game last season? He's nowhere to be found, this version of Martial is willing to break his face to score a goal.

Harry Maguire - The new captain of Manchester United. The first outfield player to play all PL matches since Gary Pallister in 92/93 (I think thats the year). He's being given a lot of schtick for having a pricetag, like it's somehow his fault. A very solid 2/3's of the season for Harry, a bit so-so the last third some matches but overall you can't call this a bad signing.

Bruno Fernandes - The best signing in the Premier League 19/20. He gave this team a dimension we never had with the likes of Pereira on the pitch. We have a LOT of speed with Rashford, Martial and even James, but no on to thread the ball. With Fernandes we got that and it changed our dynamic immediately.

Fred - Became pivotal in a season where Pogba spent most of it injured. Fred is one of the players of the year and had his breakout season in the club this season. His only crime for being benched after the re-start is that his isnt Paul Pogba.

Luke Shaw - At 25 years of age he is entering his prime. If you need any evidence as to why Shaw is one of the most important players on the pitch, notice the difference when he's playing and when he's not. He is SO important to that left side. Without him Rashford is forced to play deeper than he should. Shaw at times is an absolute beast. Having him and Williams competing for that Left back is beyond incredible the next seasons.

3) The academy is recruiting some incredibly exciting talent that will see Premier League action the next 1-2 years. Hannibal Mejbri, James Garner, Axel Tuanzebe, Tahith Chong (potential), Dillon Hoogewerf, Ethan Laird will all see first team football before the 22/23 season is finished. Out of all of these, Hannibal is projected as the biggest talent and one of the 'next big thing' players. If that comes to fruition, we'll just have to wait and see.

4) The continuity and the staff are keeping players very happy. Team morale means everything when the results aren't coming in. We've gone through rough patches and yet the only thing we've hear come out from the squad is how they are all pulling in the right direction. Scott McTominay even went as far as going public and urging the board to back the manager. Unlike other managers, Ole has always had the support of this group of players, and now that we've gotten the results we came for this season their effort and camraderie will grow even stronger. It's essentially the hallmark of any cohesive unit that you don't throw blame around. I've not seen anyone throw any blame around at all. Even the most criticized player in this squad was embraced by the best player in this squad last night after his 2-0 goal. There is actual camraderie and a will to play for one another in this group and that is something that all the pounds in the world can't buy. You build that and the coaching staff has gone to enormous lengths to achieve just that. Ole has himself been vocal about a new player needs to have the right mentality to be a Mancheter United player. Being a good player isnt' enough, he needs to be one of the 'lads'. That is why we will never see a mercenary purchase like Angel Di Maria again as long as Ole is in charge.

5) Key players are signed on long contracts. Rashford just penned a new long term deal, Greenwood is about to sign a bumper deal, De Gea extended the rest of his career here. The only player we have on a soon outgoing contract is Paul Pogba, and having come from a place where he wants to move on, he's now in talks to sign a new contract. A player who is not happy where he is does not sign a new contract, he can run it out and be paid just as much in Madrid if he wants to. If Paul puts pent to paper and commits the rest of his prime years here, that is the last piece we need to confirm that absolutely everyone are aboard this new direction of the club.

6) Securing Champions League removes a potential financial and professional hurde of signing Jadon Sancho. A long term significant target, he's going to essentially complete what is the most dangerous forward group going forward along with Liverpool. This deal will get done eventually and Sancho will be a Manchester United player soon enough.

7) We can actually go into the playoffs of a major trophy and be inredibly chill about it. No doubt we are one of the favorites to take it home, and with some solid rest of a lot of the guys I think we will take it home, but right now we don't have to win it, but we very much can, and will.

This has been a very weird season that mirrors the 15/16 seasons with most top6 sides dropping points left and right. But that doesn't matter becuause at the end of the season we are in third and that is all that matters. You are not awarded rankings based on 'what ifs'.

In the opening game of the Premier League season we played the youngest squad in the Premier Leauge and beat Chelsea 4-0 at home. The key takeaway here is that this squad is very young and full of developing talent that will only get better.

There is a LOT to be extremely happy about this season, both with regards to overall rankings, individual player development, affirmation that the project is going as expected, the ovearll mood of the club that has not been this good since 2013, and the promise of a continued legacy of a football club that is different from everyone else.

Sir Alex said it as good as anyone could have in this exerpt from his farewell speech in front of 80,000 Manchester United fans at Old Trafford in 2013:

"I'd also like to remind you that when we had bad times at the club, all the staff stood by me, all the players stood by me. Your job now is to stand by your new manager.

I wish the players every success in the future You know how good you are, you know the jersey you're wearing and you know what it means to everyone here. Don't ever let yourselves down. The expectation is always there."

So maybe we the fans, should remember that we can have bad times, they come for any football club, and that we can afford ourselves the luxury of standing by the club, players and manager through thick and thin.

Leonzo1

I don't get why people won't just face reality, yes we are a massive club and yes we did have unbelievably successful seasons in the last 30 years or so but that time is unfortunately over. That doesn't mean we won't win titles and succumb to mediocrity, We are still the biggest club in England and we have many trophies in the future but the entitled approach of our fans needs to stop. We have had 7 difficult seasons from various reasons and we failed to secure champions league football in 3 of them, failed to see any kind of plan or development in about 5-6 of them. so relative to that this has been a successful season Which ended on a high so why not be a little optimistic for a change?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Stearing the ship to avoid a disaster is good enough to grant a little celebration. We could have ended up 8th with Liverpool celebrating a 102 points PL title.

Sour grapes. And season ain't over.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Proven wrong by who... you? The point was not that all will have to agree, I said that as a figure of speech. The point was even after spending more than 200 m in one year, he couldn't improve on the accumulated points. He hasn't instilled any signature playing style, and can only improve the side by spending big.
You said

‘We all agreee that Ole is s limited manager with limited ability.‘

I don’t agree with you, so you are blatantly and obviously wrong. You represent yourself only. Especially with idiotic views like this.

hmchan

Many said the season could not be concluded as there was still hope for Europa. Now we're knocked out and I wonder how do these people think?

Banana Republic

No trophy of any description for the last 3 seasons.

Last won...
League Cup - 3 years ago
Europa League - 3 years ago
FA Cup - 4 years ago
Charity/Community Shield - 4 years ago
English Premier League - 7 years ago
Champions League - 12 years ago

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I saw progress this year so I am happy with the direction. I'm expecting next year to be better but I am not expecting a PL of CL title. Unlike many here, I do not believe this club has a divine right to be among the best every year. We, like every other sporting club and organisation, have to earn titles.

EwanI Ted

Happy with the progress we've shown this year. For the first time in donkeys I feel like we're building something to a plan rather than lurching from idea to another. Its going to take time, but that's the price we pay for poor decisions in the past. Nothing to do but keep building.

Dante

Average bang
In effect, we finished 3 in four competitions.

3rd in the PL, 3rd in Europa League, 3rd in the FA Cup, 3rd in the League Cup.

Not bad, but not good either. Slightly below par for where we should be. But within the margin of error for an okay season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In effect, we finished 3 in four competitions.

3rd in the PL, 3rd in Europa League, 3rd in the FA Cup, 3rd in the League Cup.

Not bad, but not good either. Slightly below par for where we should be. But within the margin of error for an okay season.
Yup. 4th was the minimum and we got 3rd which is more than okay imo. Klopp didn't achieve that much in his first full season.

Hopefully we'll stay away from Europa League for good from now on.

The Urban Goose

Slightly below par for where we should be. But within the margin of error for an okay season.
Depends how you define "where we should be". With the squad we have we were never going to be ahead of Liverpool or City in the league. I think this season has finished on par.

At least with going out to Sevilla we're maintaining our recent Euro heritage and avoid Lukaku scoring the winner against us in the final ;)

No trophy of any description for the last 3 seasons.

Last won...
League Cup - 3 years ago
Europa League - 3 years ago
FA Cup - 4 years ago
Charity/Community Shield - 4 years ago
English Premier League - 7 years ago
Champions League - 12 years ago
This needs to be spoken about more tbh

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But within the margin of error for an okay season.
Sure - given the context.

The latter (context) is something people will ignore, though, of course.

Also, it has been precisely what you say: an okay season (given the context). And the number of posters on here who have "celebrated" it unduly has to be minimal. But that too will be ignored by some - of course.