Finishing 3rd, 33 points off PL winners, and no Trophy (yet) is utter rubbish and shouldn't be celebrated...

Dinghy

The rebuild aspect is lost on so many on here. Ole could have easily kept Lukaku and Sanchez around and we'd probably be a few points better off in the league and had more chances to rotate. Instead, he did what's better for the club long term, gave Greenwood the chance to develop, and now the team morale seems to be better than in a long time.

Jeffthered

We definitely did well to finish 3rd but I find the celebrations a bit baffling to be fair. We used to laugh at Arsenal and now look at us...
Absolutely. Agree 100%. What concerns me is this acceptance of mediocrity... [ like yes, we managed to finish above Sheff Utd, Leicester and Wolves... ). There have been some good plus points.. Martial has improved a bit, Greenwood and Bruno have been terrific. I would also add that Rashford has continued to mature, which is important for him and us as a club. But beyond that.. no great celebrations from me just yet. United are a big, powerful confident, fantastic, historic club that mixes it with the very best. That's what I want to see us doing. Not hoping this, but demanding this...

Zlatattack

I don't think anyone has booked an open top bus.

We've had a shit few seasons, this season was going the same way and we recovered to finish third and qualify for the CL. We're also practically in the QF of the Europa. We've embedded two great new youth players into the first team and had 3 very good signings. Having CL football means we can also sign better quality players this summer. We're also beginning to look like we have our fear factor back.

These are all positives and ultimately will lead to winning the league.

ThinkTank@Cafe

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/celebrations.456448/

I haven't criticized the players or manager in my OP, if you read it back mate. It's aimed at fans celebrating this season.

The players attitudes are sound by me.
Rhyme Animal, you won. This thread is bigger than the other you don’t like. The latter is already is buried and forgotten. Nobody is celebrating, everyone is pissed with the season. Are you happy? Get the candy and calm down. I’m out of here.

Squeaky Bumtime

I don't think anyone has booked an open top bus.

We've had a shit few seasons, this season was going the same way and we recovered to finish third and qualify for the CL. We're also practically in the QF of the Europa. We've embedded two great new youth players into the first team and had 3 very good signings. Having CL football means we can also sign better quality players this summer. We're also beginning to look like we have our fear factor back.

These are all positives and ultimately will lead to winning the league.
I think that thread should be closed. Too much happiness.

Davìd Moyéz

Comparing point tallies across different seasons really makes no sense. It's like saying our treble winning team would have come second to Leicester in 15-16.
Finally someone has made this point. The league does not stay exactly the same standard each year. There were far more teams competing for the top places this year than in previous years. Sheffield, Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Leicester all had a shout at Champions League at one point.

jeff_goldblum

Let people celebrate. Getting into the Champions League spots is massively important for the club and for Ole's rebuild, it puts us in a far better position when it comes to recruitment and it'll be great to see this team playing on the highest stage.

Squeaky Bumtime

Actual Context is...

That same guy finished same race 2nd few years ago!
That's not an actual context at all. It would be if we had the same team like few years ago and there were the same circumstances which there arent. You're hung up on one thread in which people were happy we got 3rd. Instead of pointing out you unhappiness with people being happy in that thread you created a whole new one just to say how angry you are cause people are supposedly celebrating.
One would think United fans wildly celebrated yesterday instead of one, innocent thread.
Nobody is celebrating and nobody is saying great we won 3rd not lets get drunk and celebrate and raise our legs and arms doing nothing. Of course we all want United to be better and to do better next season. Fans are happy cause it's the way to the right direction and CL sure helps a lot in that direction. I can only imagine what would you say if we lost yesterday.
Somehow I think you'd rather if we did. But kudos you're still going strong although the result disappointed you.
Not everybody needs to be miserable and find negative things in absolutely everything.

You're not happy Ole is staying, then say so. It's a perfectly legitimate opinion but dont berate fans for being happy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think there are a lot of valid points in the op, to be fair. I'd have agreed with it until maybe February. The season was shocking and there were almost no positives apart from the fact that we'd gotten rid of a few players I hated.

Still, the last 15 or so games have mostly been excellent, we showed title challenging form in them, we were a joy to watch (until the last few) and our young players were showing cracking improvements as well as players previously on the cusp like Matic and Pogba.

So while I think overall it has been a bit of a rubbish season, the last few months were so much better than just about anything we've seen in years that I think it's good to be optimistic especially as we were lucky to get in the CL despite our low points total.

Put it this way, I'm a lot more confident going into next season than I was under any LvG or Moyes season, and Mourinho's 3rd season. I don't think we'll challenge but I expect us to be a 70 to 80 point team again which is OK for now. Ole is doing a pretty good job and building a good side for our next, better manager.

Flexdegea

Read again, it's just my opinion about the club.

200m spent and not a single point gained from previous season...

More financial means than any other PL club barring City and after 7 years under Woodward this is where we are.

It's not good enough, and about that, I'm right.

We all know about Woodward. And the previous shambles of 7 years with regarding league challenges. But that is for a different thread.

I'm not sure where the energy is coming from. You've dreamt up fans celebrating, what you want them to do, head to old Trafford and burn it down in rage :lol:

Season not even even over either.

Rest of your post is strawman territory

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Life is short and sometimes unpredictable so for me it was natural to celebrate a great achievement.

I look back and remember the days when we started with Pereira, Lingard, James, McT and Fred. We struggled against relegation fodder and our games was often without joy. From that perspective a third place is worth a celebration.

The future look bright! A couple of more quality signings and we‘re not so far away.

My best friend who supports Arsenal has cancer. Possible operation this week. 50/50. Life threatening. Yesterday he sent me an sms where he Congratulated me to the third place. I cried and I smiled at the same time.

I won a bet of €1000 against one of my friends who supports Liverpool. Five minutes after the final whistle the money was on my account. He sent me virtual flowers and invited me to lunch this week. Great gesture from a great human being.

Being third isn’t where I want to be but it’s better then fifth. Progress. Now my thoughts go to my friend with cancer. If he survives I’m going to give him two weeks of holiday all inclusive in my apartment in Spain. Champagne on the table and flowers all over. I really want him to survive this and I can even tolerate that Arsenal win the FA cup. He’s worth it.

Life is short. Off course we celebrate a third place. Why shouldn’t we?

Kostov

Im one of those posters but you forgot to mention WHY we discredit that season & finish. The football being played was horrible.
Furthermore, you should look at what our points tally is was in December and what our projected season total was and then compare it to 66. You might be a tad bit surprised.

Also, if Mourinho had the squad that we had this season along with the injuries, and add to that his playing style, I doubt we’d even finish at 66 this season.

Context, and perspective, my friend. Try looking at situations with a non-biased approach.
The football we played at times this season was also absolutely terrible, but compared to that season under Mourinho, at times this season we've played absolutely wonderful which is better than anything we played that season and gives a positive feeling. Why should I look at our points tally and projected season total as some redeeming stat? The turnaround is totally on Ole and the players just as much as the shambles we were in the autumn. And forget Mourinho if I wanted to defend him I would say that Mourinho would have liked to have Maguire, AWB and Bruno in that team of his, but it's irrelevant he would have found a way to play Fellaini. He achieved 2nd place in more comfortable manner than we did 3rd this season. Neither that as much as this season't finish is something to gloat about and frankly very irrelevant if we fail to build on this.

cyberman

Actual Context is...

That same guy finished same race 2nd few years ago!
It wasnt the same race. Liverpool didnt sign VVD until Jan and didnt have time to catch us up. Their run from that Jan to now has been other wordly. We finished second but were the 3rd best side in the league.
Like us with Bruno now, being seperated by GD with Chelsea doesnt show the true nature of our squads imo. It reflects the difference between 2 sides from August to Jan that no longer exists.

Dion

Saying our season was "utter rubbish" is just as absolutely, fantastically idiotic as saying it was amazing.

Pogba missed 39 games in all comps this season
Rashford missed 12
Martial missed 10
Shaw missed 17 games
Matic missed 14 games
McTominay missed 12 games

To finish 3rd after all that is a pretty decent effort all round.

SirAnderson

I thought we learn depth perception when we are kids....along with all other kind of perceptions and contextual understandings as we become adults? Oh well, guess its not for everyone. I'll be sure not to celebrate certain posts that have a clear lack of understanding too.

crossy1686

career ending
Pay no attention guys @Rhyme Animal is from the RafaelGold school of negativity, doom and gloom on all things United. Surprised it's taken him this long to come out with this thread. But I guess without his mate around he's got to start putting in double shifts now.

Flexdegea

I think this season needs to be viewed in the context

Last Summer I felt Solskjaer should walk away from the job before a ball was kicked. He was going into the season with a really under-equipped squad and was under real pressure from the word go. I felt the Glazers/Woodward were taking advantage of the fans emotional attachment to Ole and throwing him under the bus when we got rid of so many players and went into a season with Rashford, Martial, James, 17 year old Greenwood as our attacking options - Pogba wanted to leave and our Number 10 options were Lingard/Pereira. And, as expected we were piss poor and inconsistent for months on end. I'm pretty sure we had a record breaking bad start to the season in terms of points didn't we.

Fernandes joined at the tail end of January and our football has improved drastically. We've seen real positivity around the team and the mood is completely changed. I think that signing gave us hope. To make up 18 points on a functionally very good Leicester side is a real achievement given how poor and disjointed we were in the first half of this season and under Jose beforehand. Getting top 4 has been a really important experience for our young squad who've had to play through the fatigue barrier, under the pressure of having to win every game. A great experience for a young United team who've been the best in the country post-lockdown.

We're now at a pivotal point where good smart investment could have us cement our top 4 position and move towards challenging Liverpool who, in truth are miles ahead of us. Their front 3 are at the tail end of their 20s and they've been very fortunate with injuries yet again. My aim next year would be to get much closer to them - not sure we are ready to properly challenge though. It really depends on transfers and on how this Liverpool side can maintain consistency and keep key players fit.

I didn't celebrate top 4 like a trophy but it is far more important than a league cup or FA cup in terms of getting back to competing. Under Glazernomics our budget is tightly allocated - CL will have us shopping for the best players rather than picking scraps or players more motivated by money than playing at the top level.

I'm delighted today but I wouldn't say I've seen anyone properly 'celebrating'. To get so triggered over United fans enjoying the achievement - and in context it is a real achievement - I'd say the OP is the one with the issue

Great post

CM10

It's something to build on. We shouldn't celebrate finishing 3rd but we've seen enough in the run that has taken us there to at least have a modicum of excitement for next season.

Throw in Sancho and a couple more good signings and this team can go places.

OleBoiii

Context is everything.

- We finished 3rd despite having terrible luck with injuries. We easily overachieved given the circumstances.
- Most enjoyable football to watch in the post Fergie era.
- Very young team.
- Very likable team(and coach!)
- Most of the so-called deadwood is either gone or nowhere near the bench.
- We finally seem to be doing well in the transfer window.
- We're continuing to promote youth and prove that we have arguably the best academy in the world.
- We can still win a decent trophy!

Lastly I'll add this: points mean significantly less than league position. Finishing 3rd with 66 points is always a better achievement than finishing 4th with 76 points(for instance).You need to be better than your competition in a given year, not in hypothetical/previous one.

Smithy89

We had absolutely no right finishing 3rd with that team and the players who featured pre Bruno. Also in got to semi's of multiple cups and still can win one.

So yeah i'm celebrating, it's a step forward.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think this season needs to be viewed in the context

Last Summer I felt Solskjaer should walk away from the job before a ball was kicked. He was going into the season with a really under-equipped squad and was under real pressure from the word go. I felt the Glazers/Woodward were taking advantage of the fans emotional attachment to Ole and throwing him under the bus when we got rid of so many players and went into a season with Rashford, Martial, James, 17 year old Greenwood as our attacking options - Pogba wanted to leave and our Number 10 options were Lingard/Pereira. And, as expected we were piss poor and inconsistent for months on end. I'm pretty sure we had a record breaking bad start to the season in terms of points didn't we.

Fernandes joined at the tail end of January and our football has improved drastically. We've seen real positivity around the team and the mood is completely changed. I think that signing gave us hope. To make up 18 points on a functionally very good Leicester side is a real achievement given how poor and disjointed we were in the first half of this season and under Jose beforehand. Getting top 4 has been a really important experience for our young squad who've had to play through the fatigue barrier, under the pressure of having to win every game. A great experience for a young United team who've been the best in the country post-lockdown.

We're now at a pivotal point where good smart investment could have us cement our top 4 position and move towards challenging Liverpool who, in truth are miles ahead of us. Their front 3 are at the tail end of their 20s and they've been very fortunate with injuries yet again. My aim next year would be to get much closer to them - not sure we are ready to properly challenge though. It really depends on transfers and on how this Liverpool side can maintain consistency and keep key players fit.

I didn't celebrate top 4 like a trophy but it is far more important than a league cup or FA cup in terms of getting back to competing. Under Glazernomics our budget is tightly allocated - CL will have us shopping for the best players rather than picking scraps or players more motivated by money than playing at the top level.

I'm delighted today but I wouldn't say I've seen anyone properly 'celebrating'. To get so triggered over United fans enjoying the achievement - and in context it is a real achievement - I'd say the OP is the one with the issue
Good post.

RK

By OP's logic you're only allowed to celebrate wins if you're top of the football pyramid. feck off. It's football. Nobody has a divine right to be successful and you enjoy the wins as they come.

Otherwise you're just a miserable cnut.