Firmino

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The thing with Firminio is, that few people actually watched Hoffenheim matches and it is easy to misinterpret his stats. For many people the formula seemed to be: 13/14 stats (16 goals and 12 assists) + nationality (Brazilian) + position (behind a forward) = worldclass player in the making. Obviously I am exaggerating, but hardly anyone cared about context. Hell, even now many people don´t seem to know what kind of player he is (including Brendan Rodgers, who used him as winger in at least one match:houllier:).
Firminio doesn´t just have to regain his Hoffenheim form. He has to adapt to a new league, a different system and he has to make a step forward to be a success.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think you even need to hit the 10-game mark these days.
You don't even need to hit the one game mark.

Ray Parlour wrote an article during the international break immediately after Martial signed claiming he was destined to fail. Conclusions are drawn based on the fee spent, nationality, playing in a lesser league - or even the size of the stadium they played in previously, as Merson kept hammering on about regarding Martial in Monaco - before anyone has seen them kick a ball for 90 minutes. Everyone is an expert now. Everyone seems desperate to be able to say "told you so" later down the line, so they get these 'predictions' in early.

I swear nobody actually enjoys football anymore. Especially not the media or ex pro columnists/talking heads.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
It is too early to label him an outright 'flop' , but the City game aside he's done feck all since he arrived as far as I know.

Robbie Boy

You don't even need to hit the one game mark.

Ray Parlour wrote an article during the international break immediately after Martial signed claiming he was destined to fail. Conclusions are drawn based on the fee spent, nationality, playing in a lesser league - or even the size of the stadium they played in previously, as Merson kept hammering on about regarding Martial in Monaco - before anyone has seen them kick a ball for 90 minutes. Everyone is an expert now. Everyone seems desperate to be able to say "told you so" later down the line, so they get these 'predictions' in early.

I swear nobody actually enjoys football anymore. Especially not the media or ex pro columnists/talking heads.
Works both ways, though. There's also a new breed of armchair fans that claim to be an expert on every player under the sun. We have people who have allegedly watched every single player that's linked to us claiming they know everything about said player and they then hype them up to ridiculous levels. Chances are, the majority of these fans have seen some YouTube footage and drawn up their conclusions.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Works both ways, though. There's also a new breed of armchair fans that claim to be an expert on every player under the sun. We have people who have allegedly watched every single player that's linked to us claiming they know everything about said player and they then hype them up to ridiculous levels. Chances are, the majority of these fans have seen some YouTube footage and drawn up their conclusions.
two things:
-United mostly sign players from more or less big leagues
-the caf is an international board
with both in mind it's not exactly unlikely to have a few users for every potential signing who already know quite a bit about the guy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
two things:
with both in mind it's not exactly unlikely to have a few users for every potential signing who already know quite a bit about the guy.
Both of you have a point. There are some posters who will act as experts and say stuff about certain players that make it clear they haven't watched them at all.

Robbie Boy

two things:
Yeah it was a generalisation.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Oh I agree. Fans are just as bad as the media, and are just as quick to write off players. It's just that pundits and columnists will have a bigger audience than your usual message board Youtube scout, and the latter isn't getting paid to give their opinion. I find it more ridiculous when it's actually someone's profession.

There's some video where some fans are asked about made up players and they respond as if they know all about them. I think that sums up both sides. It's not about actually being an expert. It's just about making people think you're an expert. Look at that PhaseOfPlay chap on Rawk. Those guys bowed down to him like he was a demigod for a little while. He spouted some utter bullshit. He probably read the first two chapters of Inverting The Pyramid and now thinks he is a tactical mastermind.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
two things:
Exactly, especially when games are so accessible nowadays. I watch as many La Liga games as I do Premier League nowadays.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
'Flop' Firmino starting to look the business now. 5 goals and 2 assists in the last 5 PL games and whats interesting is they have come when he was played as a CF (a role he'd only really played in International football).

I only watched Match of the Day yesterday but from what was shown he was the man involved in every one of their attacks and looked a real threat. Good thing that Coutinho is out injured because he'd be excellent playing off Firmino.

Tarrou

He's been quality the last few games, playing with a lot more confidence now

montpelier

Yes, looked really quite good on motd - like a proper top top player for the first time, I think. Needs to start doing it away from home though, Brian.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Used emergency transfer to pop him in my dream team when Klopp started playing him up top, chuffed.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Nothing special. Just another in a long line of overpriced attacking midfielders signed by Liverpool.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If Sturridge gets back to full fitness I'd like to see us play a diamond with Firmino and Sturridge up top and Coutinho in behind. I think Firmino needs to stay up top for the rest of the season as it's clearly his best position.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Called it in the Summer that he'd be a good signing for them. Took a few months to get into it, but he's a SuarezLite for them right now.

Ludens the Red

He's a weird player, First of all he looks Asian but is Brazilian.
Secondly I don't think he's particularly great at anything but he's very effective.
I'd describe him as a shadow striker rather than a traditional number 10.
Kind of like a deep lying poacher, kind of just hovers around the midfield area then pops up with goals.

Bwuk

He was class yesterday. Reminds me a bit of Suarez in how tenacious he is.

WhoDaGOAT

Never doubted him. Loved watching him at Hoffenheim.

Klopp's style suits him perfectly. 9 goals and 9 assists in a piss poor Liverpool season is a good return for a league debutant.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It seems like he can do it against any opposition too. Two against Arsenal, one against City and United, a couple against Norwich and goals against Sunderland and Palace.

I can't help but feel he benefits from Sturridge not being there at times. He suits the false 9 role really well.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Terrific player, about time he gets into Dunga's team
The problem is that Firmino seems like he needs to have players around him so he can make that last slicing pass, or get assisted. With Dunga's caveman football, he expects the 2 forwards to do all the work themselves and play isolated from the rest of the team, that's why Firmino was poor in Copa America, he doesn't have the pace to play by himself.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It seems like he can do it against any opposition too. Two against Arsenal, one against City and United, a couple against Norwich and goals against Sunderland and Palace.

I can't help but feel he benefits from Sturridge not being there at times. He suits the false 9 role really well.
Yeah, to be honest I think on the whole we look better with Firmino up top rather than Sturridge. Probably mostly because Sturridge isn't as sharp as he will be with more games under his belt, though.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Living in Germany I seen Firmino playing for Hoffenheim and I was always impressed by his play. I actually thought we were going to sign him for United, But I think we then signed some tracksuit sponsor or cool aid sponsor a couple of days later.. He was not too good at Liverpool at first under Rodgers, but he is now slowly becoming the player I expected him to become at Liverpool. Bayern were actually interested in him, but did not make a bid. I wonder what kind of scouts United actually have. We should really look into the guys doing the scouting for Borrusia Dortmund, and also those for Athletico Madrid. They seem to dig up a lot of good players.

Last edited:

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
how great did he look today?
how does gabigol get called up and he doesn't? his touch is insane

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's really quite good. I think he's a fair bit better than Coutinho too, who just wants to shoot as often as he can.