Fitness

SteveW

It actually happened overnight and their style have changed 180 degrees once Klopp got the job that midseason and it was obvious.

Anyway it's neither fitness nor style. You don't need instructions to put a shift, press and run for the sake of the team. Our players are just lazy and don't care much.

Mourinho was always valuing work rate far more technical abilities and Ole definitely wants them to run and press. No way both were/are fine with this crap.
They worked their arses off in the first half but decided they couldn't be bothered after half time. That's what you think?

Minimalist

Do people really need to be told that fitness effects decision making and how players perform beyond their running about? This is getting silly. It’s a major component to the whole process. It’s not enough alone - no one is suggesting that. But you’re going no where without it.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
It actually happened overnight and their style have changed 180 degrees once Klopp got the job that midseason and it was obvious.

Anyway it's neither fitness nor style. You don't need instructions to put a shift, press and run for the sake of the team. Our players are just lazy and don't care much.

Mourinho was always valuing work rate far more technical abilities and Ole definitely wants them to run and press. No way both were/are fine with this crap.
Nonesens post. In Klopp's first season they had a shitload of muscular injuries. Style change takes time.

Bojan11

I remember being impressed with Southampton pressing the shit out of us in Potches first game. It can happen faster than people think. But it also depends on the players you got too.

el3mel

They worked their arses off in the first half but decided they couldn't be bothered after half time. That's what you think?
They dropped a stinker once De Gea made a mistake. This happens almost every game now.

There's absolutely no reason a team of professional footballers can't put effort 90 minutes a match. Fitness, style, etc. These don't cut for me all honestly.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The kind of fitness they need cannot be built while playing two games a week. With one game a week, you can work one or two good workouts in and you'll start seeing real results in four to six weeks. But a mid-week game makes it impossible.

I coached cross country and track and field, so to put it in pure running terms, you cannot run two 10k races in a week AND add speed endurance workouts to the mix. You have to have days off from that level of work.

So Solskjær's got two bad choices: Try to add some training in anyway or eschew it until the season is over. Either way, you end up with what we see.

(It's also well documented that the Moaning One had United near the bottom of the league in distance covered.)
If you were actually racing two 10km a week I would agree with you.
But these are young professionals who struggle to cover much more than 10km in 90+ minutes with a 15 minutes break in between.

el3mel

Nonesens post. In Klopp's first season they had a shitload of muscular injuries. Style change takes time.
And they were still pressing the hell out of their opponents week in week out even with all these injuries.

We have the full team now and can't even press a full 90 minutes.

We're not changing the style at all, we'rs still as shite as they were first half of the season.

People just like excuses even though deep down they know it's false and will be shown false next season when we saw the same lethargic attitude and this post will look funny as hell.

And anyway, they were playing under a manager previously known for valuing work rate x10 more than technical abilities so there's no reason this team was built to be that lethargic and that Mourinho or Ole are fine with this shite.

Pacificgi

Im surprised managers of nationals teams havent commented on our players fitness levels

SteveW

They dropped a stinker once De Gea made a mistake. This happens almost every game now.

There's absolutely no reason a team of professional footballers can't put effort 90 minutes a match. Fitness, style, etc. These don't cut for me all honestly.
If they care so little why did they bother in the first place? You are not making any sense.

youmeletsfly

High press can happen overnight.

The issue in our case is that this team got used to slacking about for 3-4 seasons.

The fitness is almost there, but the natural instinct to press isn't.

Sterling Archer

High press can happen overnight.

The issue in our case is that this team got used to slacking about for 3-4 seasons.

The fitness is almost there, but the natural instinct to press isn't.
What? Lukuku was huffing and puffing after 27 minutes! I fell over laughing. He does look a lot trimmer and showing in his slightly improved touch. But my god between him and a couple others, the fitness is lacking. It's not that they're all haunched over, it's the set of mistakes and lack of aggression. That's one of Ashley Youngs biggest issues I think, he's just knackered walking out onto the pitch even

spiriticon

I'm astounded that our fitness is so bad for a supposedly big club with modern facilities.

I can deal with excuses like players and tactics being crap, but being constantly outrun by our opponents is just embarrassing. Being fit for purpose is the bare minimum for any sort of modern athlete.

We look like we give these players a cigarette and a few pints after each training session.

Moriarty

I remember being impressed with Southampton pressing the shit out of us in Potches first game. It can happen faster than people think. But it also depends on the players you got too.
Maybe. If the players believe in the manager and he can motivate them, they'll run through brick walls. If the ship isn't a happy one and there's no belief in the man in charge, well, you know what you'll get.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't agree with this fitness crap but happy to stand corrected if I am wrong .

Are we saying players can't improve their fitness im 5 months? How did Klopp implement this in his first season?

I know Rodgers already had them playing a high pressing game and so the change wasn't too big still wondering how he did that.

Rory 7

I have to say, I find it incredible that professional athletes (many of whom earn more in a week than most of us will earn in a year) have a problem with fitness. This is definitely a low for United if the team aren't fit.
Looking at De Gea I'd say there is also a problem with mental fitness.

wolvored

What worries me is even if the players are fit enough after an intense pre season, will they still be lazy? They can be as fit as its possible to get them but they still need to work hard on the pitch, do we think this lot will do that or will they continue to saunter around?

I'm sure I've read the autobiography of one of our ex players (Scholes comes to mind) who said he used to absolutely dread pre season because of how hard they were made to work. Let's hope for more of the same.

The thing that bothers me about Lukaku who I think still looks borderline fat (for all the stick Shaw used to get about his weight I'd say Lukaku has looked bigger) is he doesn't use his strength (they say it's too much muscle) to his advantage, saw a bit of the Liverpool vs Porto game and Porto had a similarly built player up front, who while not as tall at least used his build to his advantage I'm surprised how easily Lukaku can be brushed aside

Is there anyway the mental sharpness can be improved as I'd say they lack that as well.
They saunter around as they are not fit enough to run for the 90 minutes. Some maybe using it to get the season over and move on, but not them all.

Snafu17

That's one of Ashley Youngs biggest issues I think, he's just knackered walking out onto the pitch even
Well yeah, he's 34 years old, playing 40 matches in a season, of course he fecking knackered. No amount of fitness workouts is going to change that. The fact that he's our first option at RB is criminal.

manutd_croatia7

We need massive summer. First of all, we need new players before start of preseason becasue what's the point of bring some players one or two week before start of the EPL. That will be very very important things this summer and second of all, we need get rid off lazy players and pump every player who wants to play for United with fitness. This season we are one of the most lazy teams in the EPL and that's abysmal. We need massive fitness preparation for the next season. I really hope so that Ole knows how to prepere the team.

SteveW

I don't agree with this fitness crap but happy to stand corrected if I am wrong .

Are we saying players can't improve their fitness im 5 months? How did Klopp implement this in his first season?

I know Rodgers already had them playing a high pressing game and so the change wasn't too big still wondering how he did that.
Unsuccessfully. They finished 8th

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24

Klopp joined Liverpool in the October, although they reached the EL final, they finished 8th in the PL, losing 8 times under Klopp. He had a mixed bag of results, some impressive ones. They looked done fitness wise after 60/70 minutes in some games. It took them a while to adjust. As you allude to, a high press wasn’t unfamiliar, to the players, but they still struggled. Their injury list, although they had injuries under BR, it went through the roof, soon after Klopp arrived. They won 1 of their last 5 league games, but focus, I guess was on the EL.

Klopp plays differently now. OGS high press and formations will be similar to Brendon Rodgers Liverpool, judging by what we’ve seen so far, and the few times OGS, has mentioned style of play, in interviews.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

They actually struggled for a while, they used to gas by 60 minutes then sit back and try to counter. Only really the last 15 months have they become what they are now.

SteveW

Funnily enough we're very similar to how they were then, gassed at 30 minutes after a good start.
Pretty much. We need to give Ole a chance to rectify this before making any judgments on him. I'm optimistic for next season.

He understands that slow motion zombie football just doesn't work for this club. At this club you should be able to play 90 minutes with good tempo every single game. Hopefully a good preseason and a mixture of signings, sales and youth promotion can make this a reality in the near future.

el3mel

People don't get it. It would be fine if we're actually playing a different style and taking time to adjust. Problem there's not even any style implanted on the pitch to claim we're changing to it. We're still playing as shite and without any identity as we used to be. You can take today's match and compare it to any match from the previous 5 years and I bet you'll struggle to find any difference.

Cockney Phil

Lukaku has turned into a tub of lard - he looked exhausted after one run. Sourness picked on it after the match but we saw this before when Rooney put on weight. Neville tried to defend United’s monitoring methods but there has to be questions raised about why it has happened twice to such high profile players.

That being noted Ander continually ran box to box and the other players looked reasonably fit. Why they faded in the 2nd half came down to poor quality, the lack of leadership and the absence of guile - not so much fitness.

Minimalist

Lukaku has turned into a tub of lard - he looked exhausted after one run. Sourness picked on it after the match but we saw this before when Rooney put on weight. Neville tried to defend United’s monitoring methods but there has to be questions raised about why it has happened twice to such high profile players.

That being noted Ander continually ran box to box and the other players looked reasonably fit. Why they faded in the 2nd half came down to poor quality, the lack of leadership and the absence of guile - not so much fitness.
The long run with the ball he did within the first 20 minutes, he was gassed and Neville couldn't contain his laughter on commentary.

Minimalist

How did the coaches miss this flaw - makes me wonder what they do in training.
They can't chain him to a treadmill. It's the after-effects of the previous regime (who at least let him away with it) and his own personal neglect.

Canagel

There is a definite fitness problem in the squad these player hadn't pressed for 2.5 years and doesn't appear to have the capability of pressing for 90 mins.

We should also not be a team relying solely on fitness. The cohesion in our football is very bad and it doesn't matter what happens with our fitness if players is under coached tactically.

Bojan11

Rooney at times would be overweight. I do feel Fergie at the end of his tenure was more lax with the players because he trusted them so much.

Pique said this when he left

"It [the diet at Old Trafford] was outrageous. Everyone ate whatever they wanted to eat and when you think about the typical English diet, you can imagine what I am talking about.

"Every fifteen days they would put us on what we dubbed the "spare-tyre machine" to measure our body fat. You would be amazed at how many top players practically broke the machine because their diet was based on beer and burgers.
Then we had the players crying when Moyes banned chips. I think the whole club needs a reset including the sports scientist. We the only top club who seem to have this problem of not running.

The long run with the ball he did within the first 20 minutes, he was gassed and Neville couldn't contain his laughter on commentary.
I couldn't believe that.
The camera zoomed up on him afterwards,I think we had a corner,and he looked shattered.
Fitness is one of the major priorities in the summer.I cant believe how big some of our players are.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I remember it taking ages for Liverpool to get their fitness up. They used to fade badly in the latter third of games, in fact they would pretty reliably drop points in this section because the players just couldn’t maintain the intensity. It’s only the last season and a bit that they’ve ironed that out. It’s taken 3 years and 6 transfer windows - it’s not a quick process by any means.

SteveW

I'd expect them to be able to keep moving. Tiredness will typically manifest in terms of quality. As players tire, decision making suffers, general execution suffers, sloppiness creeps in. There's been a marked drop off in the second half of recent games in their quality.

Lukaku,physically,looked well managed at Everton. Why the heck are we having trouble with him in that regard here where the diets for these players is supposedly better prepared ?

Holocene

Missed this earlier. So it's hardly a non-issue if they're discussing it openly.
Can only go by pictures, but Lukaku really did look leaner at Everton.

We certainly were the better team in the first half against both Chelsea and City. Completely dropped off in the second in both matches.