FIVEUK: Donny Van de Beek interview

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Well lets pretend you're employed by a company with 30 employees. 25 are staff and 5 are various leaders. Two leaders are your day-to-day contact, with whom you discuss what you're doing during the workday. The Manager oversees the 29, but his role is that of an administrator who gets his feedback from the other 4 leaders who report to him.

In this hierarchy, there's no natural position for you to go and speak to the manager at the top for matters outside of matchday duties. All interaction fall naturally in the scop of random conversation, or conversation of necessity. In the work calendar there are essentially 3 days available to talk to the manager outside the matchday or workday. With 25 players in the squad, there is not time enough to talk to everyone often one on one, so conversation are more rare than between coaches who engage with everyone all the time. For this reason, one on one conversation are of necessity.

Did Donny say he hasn't spoken to Ole? I havent gotten to that bit yet
No that didn't happen really, but he did say that he doesn't know what Ole thinks. It seems strange to me that they can't just have a one on one discussion where Donny asks Ole if he thinks he could be in contention at some point to play as a number 6, and then Ole gives him an answer.

Donny (and his agent) seem to think that they need to go public in order to deliver messages that you'd think would be easy to deliver directly, on any given day of training.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
His agent is a bit too gobby for my liking
He is just looking out for his player as will anyone else in this situation. If we put up with the fat cnut that is Raiola then we should shut up about DVBs agent.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
According to his agent we blocked a move to Everton last minute. what do you expect? He doesnt play and they wont let him leave
Generally, clubs don't block transfers if they don't intend on playing them. We're slowly closing in on supervillain levels of conspiracy towards Donny here. Next week we'll probably accuse the club of poisoning Donnys food with arsenic

Brophs

The One and Only
I imagine there’s something in the world that might convince me to watch this interview. Like, for example, someone kidnapping my children. But I can’t for the life of me think of it.

GBBQ

According to his agent we blocked a move to Everton last minute. what do you expect? He doesnt play and they wont let him leave
I mean it’s possible we had that loan lined up in case we got a midfielder in. When that failed to materialise we decided to keep him. Let’s see how the season plays out. Hopefully he gets a shot in the next few months or else he should leave in the Jan window (at least on loan). His agent should shut up though, VDB hasn’t done enough to demand playing time.

Infra-red

Donny picks Juan Mata for his dream team five-a-side team.

Does that mean that Donny doesn't know football now? Caf tells me that Mata is garbage

WHICH IS IT?!
Mata would be great at five-a-side.

It's 11-a-side where the problems start. Hugs x

clarkydaz

Generally, clubs don't block transfers if they don't intend on playing them. We're slowly closing in on supervillain levels of conspiracy towards Donny here. Next week we'll probably accuse the club of poisoning Donnys food with arsenic
We blocked Romero to Everton last season

Bwuk

Looking forward to watching this. Really enjoy the five lads. I know Howson isn’t the most popular but I’m a big fan.

Dante

Average bang
From 23:16 onwards.

He said he's capable of playing as a #6, #8 or #10. But it also depends on the way the team plays.

Donny then specifies that given the way United play, he sees himself mostly as a #6 or #8.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
My personal pet pevee with Vibe with Five is that there's 3 of them.

hobbers

I like the guy. Shame he's been treated quite poorly.

I want to see him given a chance with McTominay in midfield. Think the harshest part of his experience so far at the club is that the only times he's given gametime in midfield it's been with Matic. You can't put someone new to the club into that role alongside an oil tanker, it's not fair.

Beyond that he's a reasonable back up to Bruno, since Pogba is usually needed either in midfield or on the left. Guess you would say he's directly competing with Lingard now to be the second choice no.10, and directly competing with McFred to get a chance in the double pivot.

Amarsdd

Breakdown for those too lazy to watch:
  • He played as a 6 at youth level
  • Can play as 6, 8 or 10
  • Finding the lack of game time difficult. Damages confidence. Is waiting for an opportunity
  • Ole wants him to stay and said he sees a "different Donny" in training
  • Does a lot of training with Carrick
  • Says he thinks he can play as a 6 but not sure what the manager thinks
  • Greenwood is the best finisher he's ever seen
  • Rio asked him to pick 5 a side team. His picks were: Mata, Shaw, Bruno, Matic
  • Enjoys living in Manchester
Got a great impression of him. Looks like he wants to work hard and really prove himself at United.
Get ready for scathing headlines tomorrow about how Ole has no clue, how he's ruined DVB's career, Ole not tactically aware to use DVB etc etc.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I mean Everton wanted him that much that they only came last minute and didn’t even want to cover his full wages. That’s at least what I read.
I don’t see any reason why we would agree to such a deal.

Witchking

I mean it’s possible we had that loan lined up in case we got a midfielder in. When that failed to materialise we decided to keep him. Let’s see how the season plays out. Hopefully he gets a shot in the next few months or else he should leave in the Jan window (at least on loan). His agent should shut up though, VDB hasn’t done enough to demand playing time.
He needs a run of games to show what he can do. As he said, playing once a month is not going to help United or himself.

His agent is looking out for Donny. Nothing wrong in what he is doing. He has no ties to United.

clarkydaz

I mean Everton wanted him that much that they only came last minute and didn’t even want to cover his full wages. That’s at least what I read.
I don’t see any reason why we would agree to such a deal.
You would think most clubs wouldn't want to pay United's rate of wages. There is no plan for him and the manager clearly doesn't fancy him.

lostcauz

I want to see him given a chance with McTominay in midfield. Think the harshest part of his experience so far at the club is that the only times he's given gametime in midfield it's been with Matic. You can't put someone new to the club into that role alongside an oil tanker, it's not fair.
He’s more likely to play alongside Fred and it’d be utterly dull.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He could play as a 6, he has the short passing, the football intelligence and tactical awareness but his strength worries me. I'd like to see him get a chance though. He'll definitely add calmness and composure to the position.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He could play as a 6, he has the short passing, the football intelligence and tactical awareness but his strength worries me. I'd like to see him get a chance though. He'll definitely add calmness and composure to the position.
Fred isn’t exactly the strongest. From what everyone has been saying Donny has bulked up over the summer. Again we won’t all this until we give him a shot.

miked99

My personal pet pevee with Vibe with Five is that there's 3 of them.
It's not the band 5ive, is it? The ones that did all those songs I can't remember the name of. I do remember at least one of them left, which made the band name look silly.

peridigm

Easy to want him to succeed here or anywhere. Hope he gets his chances and contributes.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Needs to bulk up, 5000 grams of chicken breast.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember reading before we signed VDB that Frank De Boer said #6 is his best position.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Comes across well, he's a likeable guy and I'd really like to see him make the grade here.

el3mel

One hour long, that's probably the longest screentime VDB will ever get as a United player.

Martialfc

Just start him instead of Fred. He can hardly be any worse!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Donny picks Juan Mata for his dream team five-a-side team.

Does that mean that Donny doesn't know football now? Caf tells me that Mata is garbage

WHICH IS IT?!
five-a-side is normally not the whole pitch so it suits Mata's current leg.

GBBQ

He needs a run of games to show what he can do. As he said, playing once a month is not going to help United or himself.

His agent is looking out for Donny. Nothing wrong in what he is doing. He has no ties to United.
The agent is talking about agreements between manager and player. If any promises are broken he should keep it in house and not go to the media.

Unam333

Watched the entire interview. He's very likable, down-to-earth guy. Hopefully he gets more playtime.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He will be the one that got away. With every manager there is always a player that was misused or unfortunate enough not to play. This guy will leave us and do really well.