FIVEUK: Donny Van de Beek interview

DSG

Actually looking at all the games DVB played more than 45 minutes in last season...

3 starts in the Prem and twice on at half time. 4 wins, 1 loss. 18 scored, 6 conceded. (included the 9-0)
4 starts in the CL group. 2 wins, 2 losses. 12 scored, 6 conceded.
Started all 4 FA cup games. 3 wins, 1 loss. 6 scored, 3 conceded.
Started 3 League cup games. All wins. 8 scored, 0 conceded.

Total - 16 games. 12 wins, 3 losses. 44 scored, 15 conceded.

Obviously weaker opponents in the early cup rounds etc but the bottom line is when Donny played a big part of the match the result tended to be pretty good.
Is this a joke? It would be one thing if you included Donny’s match stats that at least indicated he was a contributor.
Note also that he is only playing against lesser sides.

Ole and the coaching staff see him every day in training. Clearly, they are seeing what we see when he steps on the field: a player who doesn’t offer much in progression of play, isn’t a contributor defensively, and looks like he’s terrified of making a mistake.

romufc

Is this a joke? It would be one thing if you included Donny’s match stats that at least indicated he was a contributor.

Ole and the coaching staff see him every day in training. Clearly, they are seeing what we see when he steps on the field: a player who doesn’t offer much in progression of play, isn’t a contributor defensively, and looks like he’s terrified of making a mistake.
Players need time to gain confidence, Donny said it himself in the intereview, playing once a month does not help with confidence.

Look at Lingard, when he was playing at West Ham, with confidence he looks a different player.

Lingard doesnt get game time because of the quality we have up top.

Donny doesnt get game time, period. Fred is allowed to make 10 mistakes a game but if Donny plays and makes 1 he is not out for 2nd half.

I think the treatment from Ole to Donny is quite poor.

DSG

Yeah cause Fred is doing a stellar job and we never drop points when he has played? Home to Newcastle is perfect time to try out DVB at #6. We would have tried it by now? But we haven’t tried it yet. You can’t say that it wont work without trying something for the first time.
Ummm… pretty sure you can say something won’t work without trying it.
Pretty sure Richard Branson can’t get pregnant.
I’m pretty sure that injecting gasoline into your dog’s asshole won’t make your dog breathe fire.
I’m also pretty sure that playing Donny as a no. 6 won’t work.

DSG

Players need time to gain confidence, Donny said it himself in the intereview, playing once a month does not help with confidence.

Look at Lingard, when he was playing at West Ham, with confidence he looks a different player.

Lingard doesnt get game time because of the quality we have up top.

Donny doesnt get game time, period. Fred is allowed to make 10 mistakes a game but if Donny plays and makes 1 he is not out for 2nd half.

I think the treatment from Ole to Donny is quite poor.
I’m no defender of Fred, we all know he’s not good enough. Donny isn’t the answer though.

Ole has the entire squad to think about. He sees Donny every day in training. When the likes of Pogba, Fred, McTominay and Bruno are running circles around Donny on the training pitch, how do you think the players would look at Ole if he started Donny “to get his confidence back”. The football pitch is filled with alphas and you have to grab your opportunity and hold on to it like a rabid dog.

Don’t be naive. This is Manchester United. Nothing is given, everything is earned. The fact that Donny CAN’T displace Fred is more an indictment of Donny than Fred! We KNOW Fred can be shit. And I can tell you, in 36 matches last season and 1,456 minutes, Donny Van de Beek showed us nothing. To me, that’s enough time on the pitch and in training to make an assessment of him as a player.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Ummm… pretty sure you can say something won’t work without trying it.
Pretty sure Richard Branson can’t get pregnant.
I’m pretty sure that injecting gasoline into your dog’s asshole won’t make your dog breathe fire.
I’m also pretty sure that playing Donny as a no. 6 won’t work.
Are you that dumb where you aren’t even fully confident that Branson can’t get pregnant? You’re only “pretty sure”?

RooneyLegend

Hopefully hes developed himself physically in the off season because he was a proper lightweight. Cant really do a worse job at 6 than our current options.

hobbers

Also exactly what we see from Fred and Matic every week.

I'm obviously not saying DVB is the answer to our midfield issues, I'm just pointing out it would be impossible for him to be worse than those two.

DSG

Also exactly what we see from Fred and Matic every week.

I'm obviously not saying DVB is the answer to our midfield issues, I'm just pointing out it would be impossible for him to be worse than those two.
Matic has been awful, no doubt, but positionally, he’s not naive. He’s slow, bereft of ideas. But he is *usually* in The right place.

Fred is not a DM. He’s a box-to-box attack dog. He’s not a very good distributor, doesn’t score, but covers a lot of ground. He plays as a ball winning 8 for Brazil.

As bad as they are, DvB would be much worse.

Look mate, we all want a solution to our midfield problem. But wishing for it to be Donny doesn’t make it so.

Are you that dumb where you aren’t even fully confident that Branson can’t get pregnant? You’re only “pretty sure”?
I am pretty dumb. But I’m smart enough to know that Donny at the 6 isn’t going to work out….

Abraxas

Hopefully hes developed himself physically in the off season because he was a proper lightweight. Cant really do a worse job at 6 than our current options.
Of course he can, this idea makes no logical sense, it's just a throwaway comment but if you look at the players involved it doesn't stand up. He's looked short of ideas when he's played in positions that look suited to him and tally with his history for club and country.

So why would we assume he cannot be worse in a position than players that are more suited to the role and have actually performed in a United shirt at one point or another.

It is far more likely we can take a player like McTominay and try to coach him and improve his understanding of the role than convert a guy that has been weak and sluggish and is more known as a player that arrives in the opposition box.

The problem for Donny is there aren't many obvious openings that are a fit for him. He's probably about 4th choice for Bruno's role at the moment. Can we play him further back? Maybe, but not as a holder in the PL where people will be all over him and running off him at our defence, he'd have to play as an 8.

RooneyLegend

Of course he can, this idea makes no logical sense, it's just a throwaway comment but if you look at the players involved it doesn't stand up. He's looked short of ideas when he's played in positions that look suited to him and tally with his history for club and country.

So why would we assume he cannot be worse in a position than players that are more suited to the role and have actually performed in a United shirt at one point or another.

It is far more likely we can take a player like McTominay and try to coach him and improve his understanding of the role than convert a guy that has been weak and sluggish and is more known as a player that arrives in the opposition box.

The problem for Donny is there aren't many obvious openings that are a fit for him. He's probably about 4th choice for Bruno's role at the moment. Can we play him further back? Maybe, but not as a holder in the PL where people will be all over him and running off him at our defence, he'd have to play as an 8.
I personaly dont rate the guy and never have however our midfieders just dont get it done. They arent the toughest bunch to out perform.