FIVEUK: Donny Van de Beek interview

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I imagine there’s something in the world that might convince me to watch this interview. Like, for example, someone kidnapping my children. But I can’t for the life of me think of it.
Even then it’d be touch and go. Would they be in immediate danger? That might swing it.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I imagine there’s something in the world that might convince me to watch this interview. Like, for example, someone kidnapping my children. But I can’t for the life of me think of it.
Its pretty good. His attitude and style of talking is interesting.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The agent is talking about agreements between manager and player. If any promises are broken he should keep it in house and not go to the media.
Yes, he should. Breaking promises is a shit thing and such people deserve to be exposed.

Mr Smith

Yeah and then at 24.15ish where he implied that Carrick and McKenna don’t know what they are doing, with no emphasis on patterns of play is so revealing.
That's worrying, but not entirely surprising. We've suspected a lack of sophistication in coaching for a while.

Jacob

Gotta say, sick of seeing donny being discussed constantly.

Gazza

Doesn't help the fact that his name is at the top of threads constantly though.
I’m just messing. Would be good for Ole to play Donny a bit so we can at least know for sure that he’s not up to it and stop talking about it. But until then it’s a strange situation worth discussing, tbf

Green_Red

What's with the GTA Vice City colour pallets being used on all the graphics? Half expecting Rio to come on and say "say hello to my little friend" when he is introducing Howson. Man needs a beard trim, coming on looking like Grizzley Adams.

Dve

From 23:16 onwards.

He said he's capable of playing as a #6, #8 or #10. But it also depends on the way the team plays.

Donny then specifies that given the way United play, he sees himself mostly as a #6 or #8.
If you read between the lines, what he actually does, is to promote himself for other positions than nr. 10 since he knows he´s never going to take Fernandes´s place in team. Basically, "the way United play", is with Fernandes as nr. 10. Not Donny.

Dve

Be interesting to know what SAF would do if agent and then player did interviews the same week moaning about a lack of game time 3 games into the season. I suspect he wouldn’t be in the squad for a few weeks.
The interview was absolutely harmless, and there was nothing Donny said that is at any harm for Ole or the club. Actually, Donny kind of admitted that he hasn´t taken his chances very well, but "NOW I need to be ready when I get the chance" (with emphases on NOW), and "Ole sees a different Donny in training now". There is some admission in there as well, that he hasn´t been able to impress in training.

EtH

The interview was absolutely harmless, and there was nothing Donny said that is at any harm for Ole or the club. Actually, Donny kind of admitted that he hasn´t taken his chances very well, but "NOW I need to be ready when I get the chance" (with emphases on NOW), and "Ole sees a different Donny in training now". There is some admission in there as well, that he hasn´t been able to impress in training.
All the same I don’t think Fergie would’ve taken to it well either. And I imagine Pogba would be on a new contract right now or out in the cold. Different times. I can’t say for certain which is wrong and which is right. But I recall Berbatov keeping his mouth shut most of the season in the only situation I can recall similar to this one. And I think Fergie was bang out of order there just as Ole is here.

It’s all getting a bit tedious now. OGS is lauded for his man management which is fair enough on the whole I suppose. The players deserved some autonomy and pats on the back after having to put up with Mourinho’s narcissism. But I do worry that he is a bit of a pushover at times.

hobbers

Doesn't help the fact that his name is at the top of threads constantly though.
What else would you expect when we have Fred and Matic stinking up the place every week and a £40m midfielder we just signed constantly stuck watching on from the stands?

Not to mention the notion of a United reject like Lingard coming back in and taking minutes away from him if there is any deputising for Bruno to be done.

sport2793

Yeah and then at 24.15ish where he implied that Carrick and McKenna don’t know what they are doing, with no emphasis on patterns of play is so revealing.
Umm nothing of the sort is said at that time point, really shows that people hear what they want to hear.

CloneMC16

He comes across well and he seems to have a good attitude. The guy in the top left asked him if he could play in a similar way that Carrick did for us. He said he thinks he can do it. Based on what I've seen him do, that seems kind of deluded. He has never sprayed the kind of passes around that Carrick did. If he's going to get game time for us, he's going to have to play far more progressive passes than he usually does. I can only see him realistically playing as a #8 for us.

I hope he does take his chance when he gets another shot. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of him so far.

NewYorkRed

Umm nothing of the sort is said at that time point, really shows that people hear what they want to hear.
Thats exactly what I came here to say. Not once does Donny say anything of the type. The dude either lacks basic comprehension skills, or an agenda against one of our own players. Neither is particularly good.

jeepers

He comes across well and he seems to have a good attitude. The guy in the top left asked him if he could play in a similar way that Carrick did for us. He said he thinks he can do it. Based on what I've seen him do, that seems kind of deluded. He has never sprayed the kind of passes around that Carrick did. If he's going to get game time for us, he's going to have to play far more progressive passes than he usually does. I can only see him realistically playing as a #8 for us.

I hope he does take his chance when he gets another shot. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of him so far.
I don’t think he has the long passing range in his arsenal, but perhaps he meant in the sense of football intelligence, game reading, interceptions and crisp passing between the lines with either foot. Carrick also knew when to push up into the box with decent enough timing, not Lampard/Scholes-esque, but decent enough for our deepest midfielder.

I haven’t really seen enough of VdB in his Ajax days to say he is capable, but surely if he made the Ajax first team, he has a decent enough football intelligence and brain.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sarcasm, surely.

(For those who can't be arsed to watch, what VDB actually says is that he can learn a lot from Carrick and that he's a "fantastic coach").

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: Some life lesson there. How to lay back at work, and get paid a ton. And your boss is still itching to keep you.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Good interview. Comes across well. Just needs to play well against Newcastle if he starts.

Sviken

There's not a chance Donny can do a worse job than Fred, I refuse to believe it. In just the Wolves game we could have conceded 3 goals on any other day because of his stupid mistakes in the space of 5 minutes. I don't know what Ole is thinking, but hopefully it is not out of some misplaced loyalty towards Fred because he likes him too much or something.

ReallyUSA

Be interesting to know what SAF would do if agent and then player did interviews the same week moaning about a lack of game time 3 games into the season. I suspect he wouldn’t be in the squad for a few weeks.
He -played cr7 after he equated himself as a slave

Shiva87

Howson comes off like an idiot. How the hell did he become popular?
I've been noticing the same thing on Vibe with Five. He comes off like a bit of a unidimensional character. He's much better on the Paddock channel where he can be his usual hyperbole self on everything. He doesn't fit well in Rio's channel where it's all about having nuanced discussion on everything football and United related.

Highfather_24

There's not a chance Donny can do a worse job than Fred, I refuse to believe it. In just the Wolves game we could have conceded 3 goals on any other day because of his stupid mistakes in the space of 5 minutes. I don't know what Ole is thinking, but hopefully it is not out of some misplaced loyalty towards Fred because he likes him too much or something.
The revisionism around Fred is astounding. Football fans really have the memory of a goldfish. Suddenly Fred is a shit player because he had couple of bad games.

MuFc_1992

I haven't seen a lot of five but it looks quite boring compares to Ben Foster's podcast. His latest one with Troy Deeney is an absolute blast. Rio's one feels a bit forced to me for some reason.

yipthatman

Basically he now calls himself Different Donny and hope Ole notices the improvements. He sounds pretty down to earth, knows he had to improve and adapt, etc.
He said Ole told him 'I see a different Donny now' and something along the lines of he has plans for him and he will play. That's why United kept him.

Amarsdd

I haven't seen a lot of five but it looks quite boring compares to Ben Foster's podcast. His latest one with Troy Deeney is an absolute blast. Rio's one feels a bit forced to me for some reason.
tbf this Rio's Five is mainly football news driven weekly podcast where they sometimes have guests like VDB. Ben Foster's podcast is more a personality-driven podcast so its much more open and fun.

Mainoldo

Howson comes off like an idiot. How the hell did he become popular?
Nobody knows:lol:

He’s just a forced clout chaser. But hey it’s worked for him. Even got recommended for this show.

Drainy

The revisionism around Fred is astounding. Football fans really have the memory of a goldfish. Suddenly Fred is a shit player because he had couple of bad games.
No, it's the other way around. He had a couple of games where his flaws weren't exploited and people were acting like he's great.

He gets games because of his engine and mobility compliments the other options but he's an average footballer and his aggressive play style is easily bypassed by a savvy team.

Highfather_24

No, it's the other way around. He had a couple of games where his flaws weren't exploited and people were acting like he's great.

He gets games because of his engine and mobility compliments the other options but he's an average footballer and his aggressive play style is easily bypassed by a savvy team.
He was very good in 19/20, and had a really good 20/21 too. Crazy if you think otherwise, checkout the links, the praise was almost unanimous. He's not world class, but he's a solid 7/10 player. Its not a surprise he is selected over Fabinho for the Brazil National team. Lots of people were nominating him for most improved player in both 19/20 and 20/21. His stats also tell you that.

Not too long ago, many people on redcafe were calling him as good as Kante. He is a proper box to box midfielder. His energy is something we miss when dont play him, and he's a good ball winner(on the press), and quick to release the ball as well. Often in matches where we set up to counter its particularly effective, as he plays line breaking passes, and is better on the ball compared to McT. There's a reason him and McT were our first choice last season. Your point about savvy teams is bogus, because his best games for us have come against the likes of City, Liverpool, PSG etc.

Is he a limited player? Yes. Is he a first XI player player for a title winning team? Probably not. But that doesnt mean he is crap. He is a good midfielder and has put in a lot of good performances for us, deserves to be in our squad, and anyone saying otherwise probably doesnt watch us play regularly.

Last edited:

Green Arrow

I think we should give him a try in the number 6 position, he would be better than Fred in that position and with Newcastle coming up it would be the perfect game for him to try.

GBBQ

Final straw may have been the blocking of the Everton move, considering that this is a a World Cup year.
He has every right to be pissed off, no doubt, I just think agents should be seen and not heard (at least outside the club). It can polarize fans; all that Raiola says in the media impacts the view of Pogba for many fans.