Music Fontaines DC

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Was just about to make this thread.

Been seeing them live since late 2017. Really do think they could be the most successful Irish band in decades.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I find the guys voice really overly "Dub" at times to the point wheres it's annoying. I've no idea how non irish people would take to that?

Zebs

I find the guys voice really overly "Dub" at times to the point wheres it's annoying. I've no idea how non irish people would take to that?
I wouldn't advise listening to Pillow Queens in that case. They really go hard on the Dub accent.

@Pogue Mahone if you like Fontaines, keep an eye on The Murder Capital. Also bound for big things.

Zebs

Irish guitar music is in great hands.

Other than those I mentioned above, folk should check out Just Mustard and The Claque, while I have it on good authority that Girl Band will have a new album this year.

Zebs

Seeing the lads for the 7th and 8th times today, in-store in Rough Trade and The Garage in Islington in the evening. Last chance to catch 'em in a relatively small venue. Can't wait.

Anyone going in Dublin in December?

Vadim

Music is great, his voice is really annoying.

It’s what put me off Muse. Some good guitar riffs and loads of energy but man, that fecking voice.

Zebs

No love for Pillow Queens?
Oh no, I'm a PQ fan for sure. Seen them 5/6 times now. @Massive Spanner said he doesn't like the fact Grian sings in a thick Dublin accent and I was just making the point that Pam in PQ does too, which can sometimes be a bit overbearing. I prefer when Sarah sings.

GBBQ

Oh no, I'm a PQ fan for sure. Seen them 5/6 times now. @Massive Spanner said he doesn't like the fact Grian sings in a thick Dublin accent and I was just making the point that Pam in PQ does too, which can sometimes be a bit overbearing. I prefer when Sarah sings.
Hahaha no worries. You’re a man of taste and my cousin is in Pillow Queens so was double checking!

Zebs

Hahaha no worries. You’re a man of taste and my cousin is in Pillow Queens so was double checking!
Ah deadly, they're class. So much good Irish music at the moment.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ooiiiim nah a rah, if yooiir nah a rah...

(Great song)

Zebs

I just heard this exact line in a podcast :eek:

Do you podcast, Zebs? :D
Psh, don't be listening to Hanratty, although he's a United fan so I'll forgive his musical opinions. ;)

Nah, I run GoldenPlec. No podcast yet, but I'm moving home from London next week and it's in the plans.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Nice to see them getting positive attention from the likes of Pitchfork, BBC, Guardian, Stereogum, Noisey and the rest.

Though, Ireland being Ireland, there's already articles like this:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Nice to see them getting positive attention from the likes of Pitchfork, BBC, Guardian, Stereogum, Noisey and the rest.

Though, Ireland being Ireland, there's already articles like this:

To be fair, there's a lot of musicians I know who have a problem with them over the Noisey article and would agree with the joe.ie one.

Zebs

Album debuted at 4 in Ireland and 9 in the UK. Fair play to the boys.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Fair play to them, they look like they've gotten better live too.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Oh right, yeah. That’s more about the delivery than the accent. Which is a bit unusual. Also reminds me of Mark E Smith actually.

Still listening to the album now. It’s really solid. No weak tunes at all.
Just got round to listening to Dogrel and I have to say Mark E Smith with a thick Irish brogue came immediately to mind, especially on Cha Cha Cha. Very good album.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've liked the album so far. Will try to catch them at Roskilde Festival this year. Although they're playing at the same time as local Punk/Jazz outfit Pardans so that's an annoying clash.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Fontaines seem to have let it drop that Girl band are about to get back on the road and that they'll be playing with them. That would be pretty cool. Although it'll have to be in the 3 arena at the rate the hype machine is working.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Fontaines seem to have let it drop that Girl band are about to get back on the road and that they'll be playing with them. That would be pretty cool. Although it'll have to be in the 3 arena at the rate the hype machine is working.

Girl Band pre-released new stuff about two days ago. Already gone, with another 350 made.