Music Fontaines DC

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
AND AS THE FEELING FADES AWAY THE TEARING STREETS CREATE A WAVE
Great stuff. Was at the Shame gig in the Tivoli before Christmas with both Fontaines and Murder Capital supporting. I think they're great. Saw them twice at Electric picnic too, they blew the roof off. I enjoy lots of gigs, even at my advanced years but I rarely get excited. They were exciting.

SteveW

Irish Mark E Smith was one of the first things that came to mind for me also. Really liked Dogrel

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Quite happy they managed to play their gig at Roskilde Festival a few weeks ago. Was good.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

The lads’ second Fallon performance last month.

I have to say, the cinematic live performances are brilliant - much more inventive than a run-of-the-mill studio show. Great stuff.

(Although I would’ve chosen ‘Televised Mind’ from A Hero’s Death if it was up to me, but that’s personal preference.)

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I discovered this band on Quboz recently - I particularly love "I don't belong", the first track on A Hero's Death. Reminds me of stuff from my youth (30 years ago!)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I love guitar music and like Fontaines but they are either seriously overrated or there’s not a lot going on in guitar music internationally
There's a wave of this particular type of Fall-influenced post-punk atm and of those bands Fontaines happen to be one of the ones who have got the most industry purchase, particularly in the US. I wouldn't have said they were the best or most interesting of that crop of bands though, let alone in guitar music more broadly.

And tbh I'm starting to get tired of the sheer glut of homogenous post-punk bands trying to sound like Mark E Smith tribute acts. It's becoming reminiscent of the landfill indie of the early 00's, with this sound being the default template for what mediocre indie bands sound like. After a while it starts to put you off even the better ones.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There's a wave of this particular type of Fall-influenced post-punk atm and of those bands Fontaines happen to be one of the ones who have got the most industry purchase, particularly in the US. I wouldn't have said they were the best or most interesting of that crop of bands though, let alone in guitar music more broadly.

And tbh I'm starting to get tired of the sheer glut of homogenous post-punk bands trying to sound like Mark E Smith tribute acts. It's becoming reminiscent of the landfill indie of the early 00's, with this sound being the default template for what mediocre indie bands sound like. After a while it starts to put you off even the better ones.
I read somewhere that the lads were backed very early by the team behind u2 and a major. something similar happened with Hozier, Otherkin, Humanzi etc they are picked up by a major label/mgmt before they’ve barely had a gig and then the label can afford to send the hype machine into overdrive. Actually there’s a Galway band called the clockworks over in London that Alan McGee signed (oasis the libertines primal scream) and they are starting to get the industry push now too. It doesn’t take much to hype in Ireland, usually signing with a major and touring abroad is enough to break through. As an Irish person it’s class when you see an Irish band getting 5 stars in rolling stone and pitchfork or whatever. I’ve seen Fontaines live in smaller venues (roisin and Mike the pies) and at festivals and they deliver the goods but are they one of the best bands in the world? Really?

Shames first album was one of my favourites of the genre. I thought it was pretty great but I can’t seem to get into the second album at all. :(

Last edited:

Buchan

Absolutely belting tune to whet the appetite for the upcoming third album. Blasting this on repeat with the last three days.

Top notch stuff from the lads once again!

“Do do do,
La la la”

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Really? It’s still working for me anyway.

Here’s a different link, just in case:

And the obligatory Fallon performance of the same single:

Great track. When's the album out?

The other link says 'Live Event Has Ended' :confused: Maybe a location issue.

Buchan

Great track. When's the album out?

The other link says 'Live Event Has Ended' :confused: Maybe a location issue.
Probably geoblocked alright. I didn’t know that, apologies!

End of April, IIRC. Have it pre-ordered. Really looking forward to it. These boys have an unbelievable knack for banging out tune after tune.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Where in Dublin is the lead singer from?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Born in England. Grew up in Skerries.
Ah ok, I was just being a bit cynical. I quite liked the first album but the accent gets a bit grating cause I get the impression it's a bit affected. Maybe that's harsh.

Conor

Thought the first album was great and absolutely caned it, nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable stuff. Saw them live and they were very good, but then the second album came out and it sounded exactly like the first album to me. Haven't gone back since, I must give them a listen again.

Bosws87

Went to watch these live in Manchester without knowing anything about them or really listening to their music just as something to do on a weekend.

They were pretty good its always a weird experience going to a gig without knowing any songs

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I watched them live in Copenhagen the other day. It was the best gig I've been to recently, and I've been to Porridge Radio, Bambara, Iceage and The War on Drugs the past two months. The crowd was great as well.

Dante

Average bang
Went to watch these live in Manchester without knowing anything about them or really listening to their music just as something to do on a weekend.

They were pretty good its always a weird experience going to a gig without knowing any songs
It's my favourite way of experiencing a gig! Partly because bands where you can buy entry at the door usually means a small but dedicated fan base. Things always get lively in my experience.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Where in Dublin is the lead singer from?
Born in Barrow-in-Furness to a local lass and an Irish contractor, moved to Ireland while young but still comes here regularly to visit family. Was in the local record shop last year signing albums and stuff, seemed a decent guy.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Wowburger, the band
JFC this got me good :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Anyway, I think they are shite and overrated and don't understand the hipster following, but all and sundry have told me they are great - so I will have to give them another listen and see if I'm just slow to the party.