Football – have you actually missed it?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
...and has Covid-19 and all the horrible shit happening around race relations changed your attitude about what is really important?

I was chatting to a mate yesterday about the resumption of the season and both of us were pretty indifferent.

From my point of view, I’ve actually enjoyed a prolonged period of not having whole days and weeks ruined by United being shit.

Chances are we are going to be as inconsistent as ever when everything restarts but think (hope!) I will take it all with a pinch of salt.

Has it actually been that bad without football? I think it’s been pretty fecking ace to be honest.

El Zoido

I’ve missed it, and sport in general, an awful lot. Though I found productive ways to occupy my time, and I knew it would be back.

I’m just grateful we went in to this in good form, could you have imagined what this place would have been like if we’d lost the three games leading up to the hiatus.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I really haven't missed it and I have absolutely no interest in it returning with this weird behind closed doors, semi match fit, five subs bullshit with players like Kante and Deeney missing because it's not safe for them to be involved. The whole thing just feels like a massive farce to satisfy a few clubs, the TV companies (who are still demanding compensation) and the Premier League execs.

SirAF

Ageist
I haven’t missed it one bit, but I just looked at the date for the next match and boy do I look forward to it right now!

Pagh Wraith

Couldn't have missed it any more to be honest. Having the Bundesliga back has been great and I cannot wait for the other big 3 to restart.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Thinking about cancelling my season ticket. The first two weeks, all I spoke about was missing the football, but now I just find it sad what's happening with rushing the game back for financial reasons when they've made a killing for 30+ years.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
This season was dreadful before the hiatus, had already pretty much given up watching due to the ludicrous inconsistency of VAR, the stamp farce in Chelsea game against Spurs, straw that broke the camels back for me, so no haven't missed it.

Tried to watch the Bundesliga, just feels like training games being played just for the money to me and didn't enjoy it. Will try the premier league and La Liga when back but don't expect them to be any better.

Last edited:

Jack-C20

It’s just felt like the summer break to me but without me checking the transfer thread 20 times a day. Is next season going to start at the normal time?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not entirely. I would definitely miss football if it ceased to exist entirely but I don't miss it at the moment. The last few years I have became much less invested in football and rivalry. I used to hate Liverpool with a passion (I still dislike them and would prefer them to lose but it isn't to the same extent) and need to watch Everton every weekend but now I'll keep an eye on the score but if I can't watch the game because I'm busy doing something else in life then that's fine too. I like the relaxed nature of watching sport now - watching a game in a pub or at home with mates rather than sitting alone in my bed watching a dodgy stream because nobody is broadcasting it. As others have also mentioned I tried watching the Bundesliga and the lack of atmosphere and the lethargic play at times just wasn't the same type of football we are or were used to and that's what I loved about it. It most definitely is a scenario where football wouldn't be back if there wasn't a PL TV deal on the line for many of the clubs. We all know it's about money.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Yes. I miss the transfer window more though =(

Chipper

Adulterer.
A bit, but not that much. It's the circumstances of what's happened I suppose. Not massively bothered about the resumption of this season and am more excited about next season. This whole thing just feels weird and I'm not really up for behind closed doors football.

Probably won't actually miss any, but the thought of not watching some of United's remaining games is there. and I think the last time I missed one was the infamous Moyes v Fulham match. That was because I'd finally got to sleep after toothache kept me awake for about 3 days straight.

Felt the same abut the LASK game, and was making food when it started, missing the first 20 minutes. There's no way I'd normally have done that and would usually make sure it was ready before the game, at half time or wait until after a match to eat.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've missed watching United, but not football in general.

Tried to watch a few Bundesliga matches, and switched it off after about 20 minutes each time. I suspect I won't be watching any other games when football does return. Football without atmosphere ruins it as a neutral spectacle, for me anyway.

Grande

...and has Covid-19 and all the horrible shit happening around race relations changed your attitude about what is really important?

I was chatting to a mate yesterday about the resumption of the season and both of us were pretty indifferent.

From my point of view, I’ve actually enjoyed a prolonged period of not having whole days and weeks ruined by United being shit.

Chances are we are going to be as inconsistent as ever when everything restarts but think (hope!) I will take it all with a pinch of salt.

Has it actually been that bad without football? I think it’s been pretty fecking ace to be honest.
I wish good luck to all that have not missef it, maybe you are becoming more rational, sane and balanced people, reading and watching the news more often, and participating in volunteer work to make your neighborhoods a good place to grow up?

I’ve missed it sorely, can’t wait to see some football again, audience sound or not!

hmchan

I miss it, but not so desperately. I'm also not prepared to stay up/wake up at 3 am (due to the difference in timezone) to watch the games other than ours when they're back either.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I really haven't missed it and I have absolutely no interest in it returning with this weird behind closed doors, semi match fit, five subs bullshit with players like Kante and Deeney missing because it's not safe for them to be involved. The whole thing just feels like a massive farce to satisfy a few clubs, the TV companies (who are still demanding compensation) and the Premier League execs.
This sums it up pretty well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Miss it desperately. Just as a time when things were looking incredibly positive for us too. I've always been pretty good at separating issues and one thing doesn't affect the other. The protests in the USA are one ongoing thing, the virus is another, but both can be respected/observed while still returning to some life normality wherever you are, and the two things I miss most are football and traveling. So having football back is a big one!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Not really, I'm okay with restarts, I have followed it broadly and I'm always midly interested in football business but it definitely has not been to a great extend in recent weeks.
Most people seem similar atm, while one would have expected interest in Germany in the restart of the Bundesliga to be massive, it turns out that the viewership has not really increased or even gone down now. After spending a lot of time indoors watching all sort of stuff in March/April it seems that people rather use the loosened regulations to go out and enjoy the great weather instead of watching sort of soulless matches.

izec

No, i didn't miss it. I will tune in for the United games, but i won't be as invested i believe. I see it more as friendly games, even if they are not. I just find it a bit weird everything, the world is changing currently and now in summer time, football is not a priority for me in this format.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep! I enjoy football in general and not just because of United, I watch other teams and enjoy it just as much but don't have the same emotion behind it.

Do I miss the feeling of being stressed out and angry if we lose? no, but the feeling of winning is almost an addictive feeling also.

While in the peak of the virus it wasn't so difficult as everything had stopped, but now the German football is back and seeing United back in training I absolutely cannot wait!

Having us play potentially great football with Pogba,Rashford, Fernandes, Martial in the side is exciting to think of, and if we can finish the season strongly and then add Sancho next - we could be looking at a real strong team for the next few years.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
My thoughts exactly. Bang on

Camilo

I've absolutely missed it. Shit happens all over the world world every day, doesn't stop me wanting a few pints and a good game.

meamth

Football is one of the greatest joys in life.

My wife wouldn't understand me but, yeah, I missed football the most during covid19.

If i have to trade Netflix for football, I'd take football season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've missed watching the United team grow into something resembling a dangerous outfit this season, but not so much football in general. I found watching the Bundesliga matches to be a dull, lifeless affair and switched off after 30 minutes or so.

This idea of Project Restart, as said by Pexbo above, is a farce. It's all geared towards appeasing you know who.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes I did miss it immensely. More than football, I'd say I missed watching Utd play. Even if we are shit, up until now Man Utd had always been a constant in my life and I would always look forward to our next game, no matter how hopeless the situation. This break has been tough in that regard, like almost being cut off from a family member without knowing when you'd meet them next. With the summer break you know it's a couple of months and even that period is dominated by transfer news. When the lockdown happened, and certainly up until a month ago we didn't know when football would return and I certainly missed it.

I would rather be able to watch Utd play even if we are shit, rather than not being able to watch them at all.

Web of Bissaka

Not football, just United.

Not a strong "miss" if that statement make sense. I missed knowing "football" updates on United because it's one of the many daily routine things I usually do. So yeah it's an empty slot in my "schedule" which takes time to getting used to especially when other slots also opened up because of this C19.

Nikelesh Reddy

I”ve missed watching United play,but I would have to say that I was hoping that the season would be voided/cancelled.....I”m not really looking forward to the prospect of Liverpool winning the league,so yeah,I”ve got mixed feelings right now...

SirAnderson

I've missed watching United, but not football in general.

Tried to watch a few Bundesliga matches, and switched it off after about 20 minutes each time.
I suspect I won't be watching any other games when football does return. Football without atmosphere ruins it as a neutral spectacle, for me anyway.
This to for me.
I've resorted to just watch the highlights of the games that are played.
Definitely miss watching us play though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely missed football. But safe to say I've missed it much less than I would have , had watching us genuinely brought joy in recent times.

The race stuff is sad to see but being in the US I don't feel as strongly about it as a I do about terrible stuff that's been happening on my own soil got ages. So that definitely hasn't changed my attitude one bit. I'll always be against bigotry regardless.

Covid 19 has changed life as it is but I don't think it's changed my attitude. I always knew my priorities, it's just no easy to focus on the right ones and treat the unimportant ones as just that, because.. well, the human mind is a complex piece of machinery. So I dont think it's changed anything other than focusing on safety and being at home. Maybe connecting more with family.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not overly. I’m not looking forward to the negativity that comes after United play

bsCallout

I've not missed football particularly but I am super excited to watch this United team play now.

I actually like this team now and think they will produce the best football we've seen in 7 years.

I don't particularly agree with the reservations people have about restarting football, life has to go on. I do think it is slightly strange to have the extra subs though, it seems like they're just trying to look like they're doing something to protect players.

I'm not bothered about international football, cup results, other teams. I just want to watch this United team play competitive football. So far I've just watched the training clips and that gets me excited.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve really missed it, been off on furlough with nothing to do and I know football would have been a fantastic distraction. All those people saying “makes you realise what’s more important”, it’s the opposite for me, so much shite in the world I’d rather just be able to zone out for 2 hours a week.

Acole9

Outstanding
I haven't, only reason why this hasn't been cancelled is because of money.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I've never stopped watching football personally. I've enjoyed watching different leagues that I otherwise would probably never have watched.

fps

I was burnt out on football and still see it as a distraction, a real bread and circuses job that stops a large number of people in this country from focusing on things which genuinely matter and really from becoming more aware of the wider world in general or developing more specific interests. It’s been lovely how the planet has been recovering with so few people out and about, and how so many have found a new appreciation of nature, for instance.

That said, this large break means I’ll be quite happy to watch when it’s back. This break to people’s habits has the potential to be so transformative, after all the hardship, in positive ways. It would be a shame if anyone came out of this without making one positive change. Spending fewer hours watching meaningless matches, and more hours doing something new, would be a positive for sure.

fps

Definitely missed football. But safe to say I've missed it much less than I would have , had watching us genuinely brought joy in recent times.

The race stuff is sad to see but being in the US I don't feel as strongly about it as a I do about terrible stuff that's been happening on my own soil got ages. So that definitely hasn't changed my attitude one bit. I'll always be against bigotry regardless.

Covid 19 has changed life as it is but I don't think it's changed my attitude. I always knew my priorities, it's just no easy to focus on the right ones and treat the unimportant ones as just that, because.. well, the human mind is a complex piece of machinery. So I dont think it's changed anything other than focusing on safety and being at home. Maybe connecting more with family.
Met friends in a “new” (not within 5 miles of my house) location today for the first time in who knows how long. It felt really good to have that physical human presence and connection. The digital stuff has been fantastic for staying “connected”, but it’s a facsimile and it misses a lot. Online discourse in wider media and forums is of course baffling to the human mind and deeply toxic.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I've enjoyed the break. Reading threads on past players, watching past games on YouTube...

I miss regular football with the crowds and stakes. I'll watch BCD football in a few weeks but I'm not overly eager for it

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I've hardly ever missed playing 5 a side game every week for the past 32 years, and watching/reading/posting about the game. I was expecting a huge cold turkey effect when lockdown was announced but it never really materialised. And not necessarily because covid was preoccupying me. I'm looking forward to it restarting but not too fussed if its delayed another few weeks or months. And this despite us winning a CL and now a PL*. What's wrong with me? :nervous: :houllier:

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
I missed it and want it back. However, I'm not sure about playing behind closed doors.

The crowd is a huge part of football. Without supporters, it will definitely lack something.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
My sentiments exactly. Doesn't even really feel like it's really coming back, in fact.