Football coach jailed for 25 years in Dubai over CBD vape oil

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's the thing that bothers me, it doesn't matter if you agree with a law like this one, it's not difficult to not bring drugs with you to a foreign country. His friend is not really a friend.
That's the thing that bothers you here? A lapse of judgement which led to someone's life being ruined.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
If it’s such a forbidden item, what was his mate doing with 4 bottles and leaving them in his car?
wheb people go to countries like this they should not assume the law will be anywhere near as lenient as where they come from
Exactly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not saying it’s right but Dubai/ UAE is insanely safe for this system. My uncle has left his £50k Rolex at a bar and picked it up the next day no issues.

Laws like this in UK would make it safer.
I feel a lot safer knowing I won't end up spending my life in prison because of something ridiculous.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not saying it’s right but Dubai/ UAE is insanely safe for this system. My uncle has left his £50k Rolex at a bar and picked it up the next day no issues.

He picked it up because it was a counterfeit rolex worth £20

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's the thing that bothers you here? A lapse of judgement which led to someone's life being ruined.
Yes I'm bothered by a pretty big "lapse" of judgement that has particularly big consequences for someone else.

Denis79

As much as I dislike a lot the U.A.E leadership stands for, I simply can't feel sorry for the man. If you know how they are and how harsh their laws on drugs are, why take the chance?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They've got zero tolerance on drugs. Their laws. Don't take the piss.
You make it sound like that makes it reasonable. Don't take the piss is obvious. But the law is a piss take as well.

Considering they've built some kind of weird haven for foreigners they should consider removing some of their cnutish laws.

JPRouve

Scout
They've got zero tolerance on drugs. Their laws. Don't take the piss.
An example for Thailand, from the british government website.

Drugs
Don’t become involved with drugs of any kind. Possession of even very small quantities can lead to imprisonment. If you are found guilty of possession of marijuana you could receive a long prison sentence and/or a heavy fine. If you’re found guilty of being in possession of 20 grams of a Class A drug on exiting Thailand you risk receiving the death penalty. Amphetamines and ecstasy are regarded as Class A drugs and possession or trafficking carries the same penalty as heroin.

Bosws87

More resources wasted on a war that will never be won, poor guys life could be ruined for something which in no way or form can be abused or get you high, wonderful.

arthurka

Faster we move on from oil for energy, the faster these feckers can rot.
They won't, the money they have now got has gone into investing in future solutions and green tech they will keep rolling in the G's long after we stop using fossil fuels (whenever that might happen). You couldn't pay me to go there again after being forced to stay in Saudi Arabia for three months in the 90's.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You make it sound like that makes it reasonable. Don't take the piss is obvious. But the law is a piss take as well.

Considering they've built some kind of weird haven for foreigners they should consider removing some of their cnutish laws.
I agree the law is harsh and outdated but it’s their law. So we should either respect that we are just visitors or don’t go there

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Everyone knows the laws are insane but how you feel about them if you're going there is completely irrelevant. His friend is an idiot for taking four bottles with him and if the guy was at all aware of it then so is he for not immediately destroying them.

There's not much of a discussion needed to talk about whether the punishment fits the crime. Of course it doesn't and you won't find a person that thinks it does. But they had to be well aware of what the life changing consequences were in the place they chose to stay so that makes them both fecking idiots. Hopefully there is a way out for him though.

JPRouve

Scout
For those mentioning Thailand’s drug laws, I’m fairly sure they’ve gone or are going green. 25 years for CBD oil anywhere in the world is just mental. It does nothing to you. It’s not addictive. Bit of common sense when judging these things wouldn’t go amiss.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...grow-six-pots-of-cannabis-each-as-rules-eased
That's not the point, the point isn't to judge a well known and established legal philosophy, particularly when you are a visitor. If I was to give you a trivial example, it would be that in certain cultures you do not wear your outside shoes inside, for a lot of people it's a stupid rule but it's none of your business, if you decide to go to someone that has that rule you abide to it or don't come. And the fact that it's not addictive makes it even worse because you ignore the law out of will more than necessity.

Keep in mind that I'm not a fan of prison as sentence for people that aren't an immediate threat to society, I'm also not against most drugs.

Withnail

Any place where your hand can be chopped off by the state is not somewhere I would ever consider to be safe.

Andy_Cole

I never said it was the right thing to do. Yes it would make me uneasy what the government could do to you too. Just these laws do make the streets safe. In Dubai my mates wives are relaxed walking the streets at night alone. Can’t say the same about my wife walking Manchester streets alone at night.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

That's because everyone is rich and already has a $100k Rolex.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For those mentioning Thailand’s drug laws, I’m fairly sure they’ve gone or are going green. 25 years for CBD oil anywhere in the world is just mental. It does nothing to you. It’s not addictive. Bit of common sense when judging these things wouldn’t go amiss.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...grow-six-pots-of-cannabis-each-as-rules-eased
That was an election promise that hasn't been kept but you are right that marijuana and hemp are on the road to decriminalization. Hemp has been taken off the narcotics list recently.

Regarding the case in question the law is obviously stupid and inhumane. I can understand adapting to the laws of the place you are in but international incidents like this bring to light just how lacking in morality and ethics most countries and populations are.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

I suppose you don't worry about your role being stolen if you haven't got a wrist to wear it on anymore.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Intent to distribute? Four fecking bottles of oil? Bugger off.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

How the feck do you manage to leave a 50grand Rolex in a bar???? That deserves a life sentence for stupidity.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Dubai is well known for their Draconian drug laws, which is ironic because they don’t seem to mind harboring the coke mafia and white washing their dope money. I’ve read of stories of flight passengers on step over flights on an Emirates flight being thrown in jail for having tiny amounts of cannabis under their fingernails or shoes. They can shift their skyscrapers up their arses for all I’m concerned (even if Emirates are brilliant to fly with).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Intent to distribute? Four fecking bottles of oil? Bugger off.
Yep. Folks are sure going to get high on that. Next you’ll be banged up for supplying wine gums in a non-drinking county.