Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's okay in terms of conduct so far, doesn't get too many cards and his professionalism has been fine. He doesn't gel with any of the squad though in terms of dynamics which might be a bit of an issue. He either plays amazingly or really poor though, no consistency at all.

I generally play something like this. Actually works way better than I thought. Parrott and Meshino are insanely good. Played 10 now in the Championship and I've won 4, drawn 4 and lost 2. Expected to be tussling for relegation so I'm pleasantly surprised and reckon we will easily stay up. One of the losses was against Watford who are running away with the league already and have a stupid squad for the Champ. Lamela and Sarr running the show on the wings for them.

Despite what I said before with Everton I'm enjoying it now. Been well and truly sucked in. It's been refreshing how difficult it is to find players (Maybe that's only me). I've not been able to scout players as well in other games which has made it more challenging to sign people which is good.
Those formations with the central midfielders in line always look weird to me, the players do the daftest things in this game and I don't trust them to cover the areas properly. That said I did play a weird 4-2-2-2 (2 central dms, 2 central midfielders) in a brazilian league save years ago, but odd formations can work in some leagues better than others.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
It was probably discussed when the game came out, but what do people think about the rating of United’s players on the game, particularly the potential.

Biggest surprises for me were Angel Gomes being a mile of ever making it, compared to Brandon Williams who has massive potential. Even Chong quite a lot more than Gomes.
I don't know about that, for me Gomes was a starter in a couple of season as opposed to Chong getting sold.

mitChley

I don't know about that, for me Gomes was a starter in a couple of season as opposed to Chong getting sold.
Players are given a range in the system, the game selects where they sit in the range when you start a save. It's a good chance you got a Gomes at the high end of the range and he got one at the low end.

For me Greenwood, Williams and Laird are doing well. Everyone else has gone.

Dan_F

Players are given a range in the system, the game selects where they sit in the range when you start a save. It's a good chance you got a Gomes at the high end of the range and he got one at the low end.

Oh really? I didn’t know that. I thought Mejbri was a bit underrated potential wise. But I’ve shifted out Andreas, to make him my back up CAM in the second season. I should have just stuck with Laird as back up. I signed Dodo from Shakhtar and he’s spent a whole season going from one injury to the next.

Coxy

Just to clarify - not everyone has a range. E.g. Sancho

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Oh really? I didn’t know that. I thought Mejbri was a bit underrated potential wise. But I’ve shifted out Andreas, to make him my back up CAM in the second season. I should have just stuck with Laird as back up. I signed Dodo from Shakhtar and he’s spent a whole season going from one injury to the next.
Mejbri is so so good for me too.

Zen

What do you mean by this?

Greenwood, Hannibal, Williams etc are all tremendous in any save if you play them. All those players mentioned can easily become really strong players - Axel, Chong, Gomes, Laird - even in the same game?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What do you mean by this?

Greenwood, Hannibal, Williams etc are all tremendous in any save if you play them. All those players mentioned can easily become really strong players - Axel, Chong, Gomes, Laird - even in the same game?
Sometimes for players that are already world class like Sancho, the Potential Ability is fixed. They will always become what the game wants them to become in terms of ability.

Some players have Potential Ability that is fixed but in a different way aka it's randomly generated. Say 10 is Max PA and 1 is the lowest. The database gives them a PA of 6-8 (example). When you begin your save it will randomly generate whether that PA will be 6, 7 or 8 in your save. Sounds like you have been very fortunate in terms of some of the players PA whereas others haven't.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
So is there any movement on setting up the online game?

Zen

Sometimes for players that are already world class like Sancho, the Potential Ability is fixed. They will always become what the game wants them to become in terms of ability.

Some players have Potential Ability that is fixed but in a different way aka it's randomly generated. Say 10 is Max PA and 1 is the lowest. The database gives them a PA of 6-8 (example). When you begin your save it will randomly generate whether that PA will be 6, 7 or 8 in your save. Sounds like you have been very fortunate in terms of some of the players PA whereas others haven't.
Oh right yeah. But the CA is based out of 200, and their ability will always be in the same window. So it's not really a lucky save. Someone who's -10, which is 180-200...will always be a world beater/legendary if correctly used, regardless if the game gives them 180 or 200, it'd both be enough to make them a force in their position. Ditto 160-180 etc.

I now see what you mean but all the United players mentioned should always be reasonably great in any save you wanted to be. Probably others too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Oh right yeah. But the CA is based out of 200, and their ability will always be in the same window. So it's not really a lucky save. Someone who's -10, which is 180-200...will always be a world beater/legendary if correctly used, regardless if the game gives them 180 or 200, it'd both be enough to make them a force in their position. Ditto 160-180 etc.

I now see what you mean but all the United players mentioned should always be reasonably great in any save you wanted to be. Probably others too.
Lucky in the sense that the AI may manage them better in some saves compared to others.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Finished 9th in my first year in the Championship and our finances are in the shit. Managed to get Gomes, Parrott and Garner to all agree for a 3rd loan season in a row though which I really needed as they're my best players. Wage budget reduced from 300k to 275k even though I've been running at 250k all season. All transfer fees up front too so I haven't been paying off any transfers monthly. Bit shite as I had set up a few targets for the summer so might need to sell a player I don't really want to so I can get them in. Sunderland are a fun save though, they start with a squad that will win the first title with ease but it's aging and full of players on bloated wages so you need to carefully deconstruct it to maintain position.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Not followed the thread much but im seeing some talk of an online game. If nobody is willing to set this up ill happy to give it a go since im stuck at home all day atm.

Tiber

I have put a scary amount of hours into Football Manager over the years. But i'm not really sure i'm feeling it anymore.

Sometimes I just want to play a CM without worrying about all the additional crap you have to select nowadays, I know its more realistic and detailed, but i'm not sure that is always good. Its not just the tactics, things like training and transfers have changed a lot over the years - I see why many love it though

I had played a lot of FM until about 2017 but my gametime on Steam has declined ever since, I tried FM20 during the trial and to be honest I have bounced off it. I will give one more save a try today.

Dan_F

Won the Champions league and Premier League I’m my second season with United. A nice 10 day gap between the CL final and the club World Cup. All my players are going to be completely fecked next season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do AI teams just play useless players for shits and giggles? Not an issue but saw Napoli playing Lucas Romero for 30 games and his overall form was 5.97 :lol: Probably the lowest I've seen from a player consistently playing

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Just beat 20th places Crystal Palace 7-5. That’s the most goals I’ve conceded all season hahaha.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Who are the players on your save that look shite but are unreal? There is a fella on my save called Ivan Toney at Peterborough. Stats are very average but he scored 30 in League 1 in the first season, 20 in the Championship in his second season and now has 3 in 5 in the third season. Always scores against me too.

Moise Kean has just signed for Derby on loan in the third season. They're in League 1. 30k a week. That's double the wage of my first earner. I tried to get him but they wanted the full 50k wages from me. :lol:

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Who are the players on your save that look shite but are unreal? There is a fella on my save called Ivan Toney at Peterborough. Stats are very average but he scored 30 in League 1 in the first season, 20 in the Championship in his second season and now has 3 in 5 in the third season. Always scores against me too.

Moise Kean has just signed for Derby on loan in the third season. They're in League 1. 30k a week. That's double the wage of my first earner. I tried to get him but they wanted the full 50k wages from me. :lol:
I didn’t expect Origi to be as good as he is tbh. It’s kinda crazy how lethal he’s been for me considering how he is in real life. 21 goals and 5 assists in 35 appearances this season (19 starts)

Wayne's World

Is it just me or Jadon Sancho really bad in this game? I'm currently managing St.Pauli and his average rating for the past 3 season is 6.34

I seen in other games he never got a rating over 7.00 either

Tiber

Is it just me or Jadon Sancho really bad in this game? I'm currently managing St.Pauli and his average rating for the past 3 season is 6.34

Just looked at the stats for the game i'm currently playing, he was my only signing for United. Playing as an attacking right winger, he currently has 1 goal and 8 assists after 13 games, average rating of 7.22

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

He was shite for me too when managing Dortmund. Ineffectual on both right and left, ended the season with something like 3 goals and 4 assists before buggering off to Arsenal.

Wayne's World

He was shite for me too when managing Dortmund. Ineffectual on both right and left, ended the season with something like 3 goals and 4 assists before buggering off to Arsenal.
Yeah seems quite weird for one of the best up and coming talents in football to be poor in the game, would expect him to be a superstar in it.

Even when playing against Dortmund, he never seems to do anything at all, usually Haaland is the one who tears me apart :wenger:

Dan_F

Not sure what you lot are doing, but he’s been quality for me on the right wing. I do think he’s probably better on the left, but I have Rashford and Martial there.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Over the years I have gotten bored of doing bog standard saves with United so last few games I have always set the rules I can only sign english players to make it a bit more interesting and have always enjoyed doing that but now that is wearing a a bit so I am going to attempt a stupidly ambitious challenge that I have seen on SIs forum people have been doing.

The Youth Academy Challenge.

You holiday a season and take over a team that has been promoted in the lowest league of a country and go as far as you can with them. But the catch with it being a youth academy challenge is you're not allowed to sign or loan any players at all new players have to come from the academy!

I will probably fail miserably and give up after a few seasons if i make it that far without being sacked but I am always up for new challenges!

2E_MUFC

Not sure what you lot are doing, but he’s been quality for me on the right wing. I do think he’s probably better on the left, but I have Rashford and Martial there.
Been quality for me so far. Second season with Dortmund.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Managing Hertha Berlin ATM and we're horrifically inconsistent. Had a terrible start but we managed to stabilize and went 10 unbeaten. Now I've just been torn apart 6-2 by Leverkusen and now BMG came back from behind to hammer me 3-1 at home!

Just can't manage to get anyone scoring consistently. Piatek is a bit dross.

Santos J

Managing Hertha Berlin ATM and we're horrifically inconsistent. Had a terrible start but we managed to stabilize and went 10 unbeaten. Now I've just been torn apart 6-2 by Leverkusen and now BMG came back from behind to hammer me 3-1 at home!

Just can't manage to get anyone scoring consistently. Piatek is a bit dross.
Just started as them last night too. :lol:

Board are weird, media prediction is 4th, expected to avoid a relegation battle this season then they want CL qualification 2nd season ffs..

Berbaclass

Just started as them last night too. :lol:

Board are weird, media prediction is 4th, expected to avoid a relegation battle this season then they want CL qualification 2nd season ffs..
I finished mid-table after I couldn't really decide on what tactic to play so I was wildly inconsistent. Settled on a tiki-taka style 4-1-2-3 which I actually never play. Made some quality signings (They also seem to be loaded, gave me 45 Mil in Jan, then 96 Mil in the summer!) including Greenwood :drool:

Most of them were bargains, only Greenwood (£65 Million) and Baro (£35 Million) I spent decent money on. Also Lisandro Martinez for £13 Million

Franco - £5 Million
Ugarte - £2 Million
Kovalenko - £4 Million
Fischer - £5 Million
Zivkovic - £2.7 Million
Patrick Berg - £1.9 Million

Last edited:

Coxy

Inside forward for Sancho? Or winger

I’m considering trying Rashford up top to allow Sancho on the left. Then training Greenwood to play right wing.
All English attack :drool:

Dan_F

Inside forward for Sancho? Or winger

I’m considering trying Rashford up top to allow Sancho on the left. Then training Greenwood to play right wing.
All English attack :drool:
No just attacking winger. He has gone off the boil a little since I posted yesterday. (I managed to get through half a season). Signed Mbappe too, so the front 3/4 just has ridiculous strength. In depth. Most games have 2 of Greenwood, Martial, Sancho on the bench.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hit January 1st in my third season. Sitting 3rd in the Championship, 2 points behind Newcastle who are top. Angel Gomes is going to win Championship POTY and if he doesn't it's a fix. 14G and 9A in 21 games. 7.64 rating. He scores a worldie every 2 games. Bit worried because him and Parrott are my best players and I doubt I will be able to get them for a 4th seasons in a row on loan and with my funds there's also probably no way I can buy either of them.

Wage Budget is 270k and I'm spending 220k right now. I chose a mid-table finish as my expectations so they said I could review it....if I chose play-offs they'd give me...2k increase to my wage budget and nothing to the transfer budget. Er yeah, no.

Oh, also Sancho is at United and he's good but not out of this world. 5G and 6 assists in 20 games with a 7.20 rating.

Santos J

I finished mid-table after I couldn't really decide on what tactic to play so I was wildly inconsistent. Settled on a tiki-taka style 4-1-2-3 which I actually never play. Made some quality signings (They also seem to be loaded, gave me 45 Mil in Jan, then 96 Mil in the summer!) including Greenwood :drool:

Most of them were bargains, only Greenwood (£65 Million) and Baro (£35 Million) I spent decent money on. Also Lisandro Martinez for £13 Million

Franco - £5 Million
Ugarte - £2 Million
Kovalenko - £4 Million
Fischer - £5 Million
Zivkovic - £2.7 Million
Patrick Berg - £1.9 Million
Money should be nice then as started with feck all so hopefully they give me a bit in January too :lol:. Did you manage to get Piatek to be anything other than absolute shite? Sitting 6th after 11 games so way above board expectations but we've been pretty shit for the most part, in the same boat where nobody seems to be scoring consistently.

Berbaclass

Money should be nice then as started with feck all so hopefully they give me a bit in January too :lol:. Did you manage to get Piatek to be anything other than absolute shite? Sitting 6th after 11 games so way above board expectations but we've been pretty shit for the most part, in the same boat where nobody seems to be scoring consistently.
Nope, managed 10 goals out of him all season which is baffling because he looks quality.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
I swear my players just don’t score one on ones. It’s actually kind of crazy how infrequent it is.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just won the league in first season in the last game - signed Vertongen and Werner, spent the rest on up and coming kids for the future.

Vertongen is losing stats now though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I swear my players just don’t score one on ones. It’s actually kind of crazy how infrequent it is.
Googled that myself earlier. Apparently it's something SI is fixing in terms of the match engine. It's silly. I think I see 5 missed 1 on 1 chances each game.

Santos J

Nope, managed 10 goals out of him all season which is baffling because he looks quality.
10 would do me at this stage, he's played 10(2) with 0 goals and 1 assist ffs, time to stop giving him chances. 1st of Dec and the board have just given me £43m though so that'll do for now!