Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Started the mobile version with Sunderland after seeing a few decent reviews on here of seasons starting with them.

Got Laird in on loan as well as Mejbri, basically playing Majbri constantly in the hope he'll come back to me in the Championship next season.

Weirdly started already overspending on wage budget so I'm trying to cut that down and haven't spent a penny of my transfer budget. Not a single club wanted anyone I tried to sell though.

Minkaro

Got high hopes for Mejbri. Loaned him out to West Brom in the second season, and he’s got something like 11 goals and 9 assists in 25 games. Can’t tell exactly because my sodding computer’s gone and died.

I miss FM :(

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
These Hertha saves shared here perfectly illustrate how shambolic the business(management) side of the game is. You take over a club that in reality basically always has to spend even, you play one good season and the game hands the same or even better budgets (especially wage budgets, you make/fluke CL once and the club lets you blow up the wage budget for years to come) the real management had this season after selling shares worth over €200m. You then sign almost any player you want to, because people who in reality maybe would join a club like Hertha if they won the title a couple of years in a row and broke the bank for them.
Reality check: what did Hertha do in real life with €90m: Ascacibar (2nd division), Cunha (Leipzig reject), Lukebakio (Watford/Düsseldorf - relegation fodder player), Piatek (Milan flop), Tousart (stagnating talent I guess?!).

Players who in reality would be angling for a step up after their break through even extend their contracts without much of a hassle. Not to mention being able to sign one wonderkid after another. Meanwhile your biggest AI competitor Bayern manages itself into midtable finishes.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
These Hertha saves shared here perfectly illustrate how shambolic the business(management) side of the game is. You take over a club that in reality basically always has to spend even, you play one good season and the game hands the same or even better budgets (especially wage budgets, you make/fluke CL once and the club lets you blow up the wage budget for years to come) the real management had this season after selling shares worth over €200m. You then sign almost any player you want to, because people who in reality maybe would join a club like Hertha if they won the title a couple of years in a row and broke the bank for them.
Reality check: what did Hertha do in real life with €90m: Ascacibar (2nd division), Cunha (Leipzig reject), Lukebakio (Watford/Düsseldorf - relegation fodder player), Piatek (Milan flop), Tousart (stagnating talent I guess?!).

Players who in reality would be angling for a step up after their break through even extend their contracts without much of a hassle. Not to mention being able to sign one wonderkid after another. Meanwhile your biggest AI competitor Bayern manages itself into midtable finishes.
You're forgetting about Man City. Who did they sign after they had done almost nothing? Aguero? Silva?

Money talks...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You're forgetting about Man City. Who did they sign after they had done almost nothing? Aguero? Silva?

Money talks...
City are/were a club run by an entire country, they could credibly tell players they were committed to pump billions into football over the years to come and only god knows what kind of wages they offered. If that's the first comparison that comes to your mind when describing the situation of a German midtable club in the game then I rest my case.

Santos J

Yeah I gave up on Hertha after season 2, got way too easy. 2 windows in and signing Havertz, Vinicius and the like got boring fast.

Berbaclass

City are/were a club run by an entire country, they could credibly tell players they were committed to pump billions into football over the years to come and only god knows what kind of wages they offered. If that's the first comparison that comes to your mind when describing the situation of a German midtable club in the game then I rest my case.
City bought players that they probably shouldn't have been able to get because they had a lot of money.

As far as the game is concerned. If you manage to win the league and are then in the Champions League and also have money to spend I don't see why players wouldn't want to join you. I don't see it as being super unrealistic as you are suggesting anyway.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
City bought players that they probably shouldn't have been able to get because they had a lot of money.

As far as the game is concerned. If you manage to win the league and are then in the Champions League and also have money to spend I don't see why players wouldn't want to join you. I don't see it as being super unrealistic as you are suggesting anyway.
First of all there is the matter of the budget size. Another poster reported a €90m budget with Hertha. You take a real life comparison with Bayern and that amount is actually their highest ever net spend and they only spend so much every couple of years, while sometimes running a big surplus in between. You can also look at Hertha in real life: if you take into account that Tousart is a purchase for next season they spent €60m this season after getting a cash injection of over €200m.
Leipzig have net spent €25m this season and minus €7m the year before, Dortmund are the second richest Bundesliga club by far, they net spent €25m this season and had minus €25m the year before. Leverkusen had a year of huge spending by their standards of €63m, but they almost made the same amount in transfer profits the two years before.

City with their state backing are a special club. They can drown players in money and actually outspend even the biggest competitors. The only one that compares to them is PSG. Making the CL is nothing special, it doesn't mean you're suddenly rich. Four teams per year make it in every big league. In real life you're still poor compared to the big clubs and it takes years/decades of stability and punching above your weight to catch up.

And in the game you not only have utterly inflated transfer budgets, you also have ridiculously low wage demands. Take a look at your screenshot of Greenwood, who in real life would never be sold by United and given his talent would only be interested in joining maybe 5 clubs in the world. You not only managed to sign him, to tie him down long term, he also is super happy earning 8m a year, when he probably should be demanding double that at the very least.

I can only again refer you to what real life Hertha did with their windfall this season, they signed 2nd to 3rd tier players. Where you can sign the biggest talents in the world in the game, they had to content with Piatek - probably only after Spurs passed on him. Bundesliga's record signing is L. Hernandez for around €80m, the next player is around €40m and CL regulars like Dortmund, Leipzig and Leverkusen, basically never paid more than €30m for a player. And then you tell me well.. I've taken over a midtable club and made the CL a couple of times, so it's reasonable to sign Havertz and Greenwood for €90(?)m.

Berbaclass

First of all there is the matter of the budget size. Another poster reported a €90m budget with Hertha. You take a real life comparison with Bayern and that amount is actually their highest ever net spend and they only spend so much every couple of years, while sometimes running a big surplus in between. You can also look at Hertha in real life: if you take into account that Tousart is a purchase for next season they spent €60m this season after getting a cash injection of over €200m.
Leipzig have net spent €25m this season and minus €7m the year before, Dortmund are the second richest Bundesliga club by far, they net spent €25m this season and had minus €25m the year before. Leverkusen had a year of huge spending by their standards of €63m, but they almost made the same amount in transfer profits the two years before.

City with their state backing are a special club. They can drown players in money and actually outspend even the biggest competitors. The only one that compares to them is PSG. Making the CL is nothing special, it doesn't mean you're suddenly rich. Four teams per year make it in every big league. In real life you're still poor compared to the big clubs and it takes years/decades of stability and punching above your weight to catch up.

And in the game you not only have utterly inflated transfer budgets, you also have ridiculously low wage demands. Take a look at your screenshot of Greenwood, who in real life would never be sold by United and given his talent would only be interested in joining maybe 5 clubs in the world. You not only managed to sign him, to tie him down long term, he also is super happy earning 8m a year, when he probably should be demanding double that at the very least.

I can only again refer you to what real life Hertha did with their windfall this season, they signed 2nd to 3rd tier players. Where you can sign the biggest talents in the world in the game, they had to content with Piatek - probably only after Spurs passed on him.
It's a game man relax.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's a game man relax.
So what? FM tries to be a realistic simulation and on the financial side it fails quite badly at creating even the most basic budget / demand formulas. It makes the game quite dumb in that regard, because every player controlled club basically runs on autopilot to world dominance and unless you feck up your tactics completely it's just a matter of time until you win the CL. At least if you're playing in a big country.

Berbaclass

So what? FM tries to be a realistic simulation and on the financial side it fails quite badly at creating even the most basic budget / demand formulas.
Don't play it then. If you don't then what are you even doing in this thread anyway if you don't like the game?

You can play it like that if you wish. In this particular save I chose not to be careful and bank on being successful to pay off the large sums that I paid for a handful of players.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Managed to wriggle a copy through an affiliate link for £25 and get it as an early birthday present which I was happy with considering the amount of hours I have put into the game since the trial became a thing. The Sunderland save has me hooked.

Into my 6th season now. League 1 = 1st. Championship - 9th, 1st. Premier League - 10th, 9th. Trying to make a big push for Europe this year as i've increased my wage budget a lot and brough in a few big boys while trying to keep fairly realistic. That's why I've enjoyed the Sunderland save. I've never had a budget that has been so over the top it's become boring yet.

I start with - Regen, Herrero, Regen, Diakite, Lusala, Regen, Garner, Beltran, Regen, Elliott, Greenwood.

Managed to get Greenwood on a pre-contract so only paid 2 million for him. Elliott wasn't playing at Liverpool so nabbed him for around 25m. Beltran was requesting to leave so he was only 12m. Garner was another pre-contract deal at 2.5m. I've still kept Dobson from the start of the save too as he is a nice squad player/captain to have of the club and he doesn't ask for high wages so it's nice to keep someone throughout a whole save.

I'd love to sign more existing players but I just don't want to get embroiled in paying 50m+ for them which annoyingly I may have to do in the next couple of seasons. United are spending an average of 300m a year on my save. The highest I've seen spent in a window is City spending 500m. I just had my biggest summer, spending 110m in total but i recouped 70m of that in sales.

Berbaclass

Managed to wriggle a copy through an affiliate link for £25 and get it as an early birthday present which I was happy with considering the amount of hours I have put into the game since the trial became a thing. The Sunderland save has me hooked.

Into my 6th season now. League 1 = 1st. Championship - 9th, 1st. Premier League - 10th, 9th. Trying to make a big push for Europe this year as i've increased my wage budget a lot and brough in a few big boys while trying to keep fairly realistic. That's why I've enjoyed the Sunderland save. I've never had a budget that has been so over the top it's become boring yet.

I start with - Regen, Herrero, Regen, Diakite, Lusala, Regen, Garner, Beltran, Regen, Elliott, Greenwood.

Managed to get Greenwood on a pre-contract so only paid 2 million for him. Elliott wasn't playing at Liverpool so nabbed him for around 25m. Beltran was requesting to leave so he was only 12m. Garner was another pre-contract deal at 2.5m. I've still kept Dobson from the start of the save too as he is a nice squad player/captain to have of the club and he doesn't ask for high wages so it's nice to keep someone throughout a whole save.

I'd love to sign more existing players but I just don't want to get embroiled in paying 50m+ for them which annoyingly I may have to do in the next couple of seasons. United are spending an average of 300m a year on my save. The highest I've seen spent in a window is City spending 500m. I just had my biggest summer, spending 110m in total but i recouped 70m of that in sales.
Yeah, the fees become insane eventually for the good players.

Pretty impressive to sign Mason on a free though, never seen that happen this year!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, the fees become insane eventually for the good players.

Pretty impressive to sign Mason on a free though, never seen that happen this year!
First pre-contract I have managed to get after all of the others I have tried for rejected me. Surprisingly nobody else was interested as he hasn’t developed that much yet (still quality though).

I think it’s because United have Rashford, Martinez, Sancho, Gomes, Dembele, Draxler and two regent that are worth 30m and 60m in the attacking positions. Bit silly really.

Berbaclass

First pre-contract I have managed to get after all of the others I have tried for rejected me. Surprisingly nobody else was interested as he hasn’t developed that much yet (still quality though).

I think it’s because United have Rashford, Martinez, Sancho, Gomes, Dembele, Draxler and two regent that are worth 30m and 60m in the attacking positions. Bit silly really.
Yeah AI transfers can be pretty baffling sometimes. I was looking last night Lyon in my save went out and bought 4 CB's for between £20-40 million each for some reason despite having 4 in their squad already :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah AI transfers can be pretty baffling sometimes. I was looking last night Lyon in my save went out and bought 4 CB's for between £20-40 million each for some reason despite having 4 in their squad already :lol:
That's most of the top clubs in my save too. City and United are bad for it and it's annoying because it means they put the players on 150k+ so when they barely play and you try to buy them they want the same type of wage.

I completely forgot that the Euro Cup II was a thing until I saw it pop up last season. Seems like a fun competition, anyone played in it yet?

Santos J

Think I saw the UK voted to stay in the EU in my save.
Don't think they voted to stay in but there's different Brexit outcomes that can happen. The best one is where nothing changes, others bring in work permit rules etc. which can be a pain.

diarm

Does anyone know if there's a way you can view your squad in a simple view, with the players listed in 2 columns rather than having to scroll?

It was the traditional view in the old Championship Manager games and I'd love to get it back somehow.

Ludens the Red

Don't think they voted to stay in but there's different Brexit outcomes that can happen. The best one is where nothing changes, others bring in work permit rules etc. which can be a pain.
Nah best one is limit of 17 non eu. It then means you can sign South American, African, Asian players easily as they get the work permits. I’ve only ever got that twice though .

Dan_F

Yeah you’re not wrong. I’ve taken a team from Slovenia into a CL semi within 6 years before. As soon as I got CL money it was ridiculously easy. I’ve found that player cohesion and happiness play a way bigger part than tactics. Like others have said though, it’s just a game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nah best one is limit of 17 non eu. It then means you can sign South American, African, Asian players easily as they get the work permits. I’ve only ever got that twice though .
Yeah. I got that one on my FM 19 save. Meant you could sign anyone as long as you gave them a wage over a certain amount (which was always really low once you got to the top level of the game), The one I have now which is where nothing changes is shite as I barely get work permits for SA wonderkids.

Berbaclass

Yeah you’re not wrong. I’ve taken a team from Slovenia into a CL semi within 6 years before. As soon as I got CL money it was ridiculously easy. I’ve found that player cohesion and happiness play a way bigger part than tactics. Like others have said though, it’s just a game.
I disagree with this being easy. Unless you're using some kind of tactic that is some kind of exploit of the ME in my experience that is a hard thing to do.

Usually playing as a lower/smaller team there are things such as league reputation that really hold you back from signing good players.

Champions League money for a Slovenian team will be decent in comparison to what you get domestically but still, a pittance compared to what teams start spending a few years into the game on the good players.

I have managed in Sweden a few times (a relatively small nation) with Goteborg and Malmo and we were untouchable in the league but when it came to the champions league, it was just a different level. Yeah now and then with some good fortune and a good draw we have a decent run but I don't think it was easy to do.

Santos J

Oh shit, never even seen that one before.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
So, I've watched 'Sunderland Till I Die' today and I felt sorry for them so I've started a save with them. Going very nicely so far.

Transfer wise I didn't want to do much as they should be more than good enough from the start to get promoted and I want to keep very tight control on the finances. Brought in Leko on loan from West Brom and Garner from United also on loan. as I needed a midfield playmaker and depth on the wing. I made one permanent signing, Stephen Kingsley from Hull for 375k as my options at LB were very limited.

My tactic:

My results so far:
Do you just go attacking mentality every game?

I have a few tactics which suit the players and do OK generally, but can’t compete with top sides and always drop points in stupid games.

I am struggling to get any consistency in my Newcastle save. I have a good team now which should be doing better, but every game seems like a lottery and obviously get smashed against the big six away every time.

Liverpool way overpowered in the game too which takes some of the fun out of it.

Any hints or tips on mentality and how to change things simply depending on different games, bar having a couple of tactics?

Berbaclass

Do you just go attacking mentality every game?

I have a few tactics which suit the players and do OK generally, but can’t compete with top sides and always drop points in stupid games.

I am struggling to get any consistency in my Newcastle save. I have a good team now which should be doing better, but every game seems like a lottery and obviously get smashed against the big six away every time.

Liverpool way overpowered in the game too which takes some of the fun out of it.

Any hints or tips on mentality and how to change things simply depending on different games, bar having a couple of tactics?
Yeah, pretty much. I've beaten Ipswitch and P'bro away who are the best teams other than us. Usually, we are just too much for teams to handle. Occasionally I will get a game where I just come up against 10 men behind the ball and we struggle to break it down and we end up drawing.

Maluco

Yeah, pretty much. I've beaten Ipswitch and P'bro away who are the best teams other than us. Usually, we are just too much for teams to handle. Occasionally I will get a game where I just come up against 10 men behind the ball and we struggle to break it down and we end up drawing.
So you don’t really change anything between games?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
City just bid 226 million for Hudson-Odoi. :confused::houllier:

Finished 7th in my 6th season. Happy with that as I was 3 points from Europe and I made quite a bit of changes this year. This year we can make a big push for Europe as the side will have gelled together and a couple of my key players are going to be hitting their peaks.

Maluco

City just bid 226 million for Hudson-Odoi. :confused::houllier:

Finished 7th in my 6th season. Happy with that as I was 3 points from Europe and I made quite a bit of changes this year. This year we can make a big push for Europe as the side will have gelled together and a couple of my key players are going to be hitting their peaks.
Enjoying reading your posts mate. It’s making me want to start further down the divisions after this and build up a small club. Sounds like fun and a few quality loan signings can make the difference in season one.

Not too far down though so it’s only regens when I finally get up!!

League One sounds good, or maybe Andorra FC or a fallen giant in Série C :smirk:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Enjoying reading your posts mate. It’s making me want to start further down the divisions after this and build up a small club. Sounds like fun and a few quality loan signings can make the difference in season one.

Not too far down though so it’s only regens when I finally get up!!

League One sounds good, or maybe Andorra FC or a fallen giant in Série C :smirk:
Cheers mate. It's definitely more rewarding when it all clicks together. I've had some really poor results that I haven't posted (such as losing 6-0 against City and Liverpool in my first season in the Prem) but that's also been contrasted by some great results in my last season and it feels much better doing it with players you know you've built up yourself.

I'm tempted to start a new save soon taking over a club in the Scottish League 2 and trying to compete with Celtic.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I had a similar instance where it specifically said the UK would not be leaving the EU.

BootsyCollins

When i put a game on extended highlights, everytime my player is one on one with the goalie he misses. Everytime! Can happen 3-4 times a match and i remember having the same issue in FM17. Same thing if a player dribble past 2 or more players, he never scores.

Dan_F

So you don’t really change anything between games?
I’ve always found leaving it on a set tactic is better than changing depending on the opposition. But then again, I’m usually managing one of the top teams in the league.

I’ve started a save with Bath City, so I’ll let you know how that goes.

padzilla

Hipster
Damn it I missed the free period - have it on my mobile but it's ridiculously easy and basic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Had a great 7th season. Finished 3rd and won the Carabao Cup. I think Greenwood must be *fixed* to score 20 goals a season as in both years with me he has gone through patches where he doesn't score but then scores a hat-trick to get his tally up. Him and Elliot are class though and Gouiri is one of the best back-up strikers I've had. Doesn't complain at all, is on a relatively low contract and scores a bunch too.

Finances are a bit shite but the CL football will help with that and my budget has taken a hit this year but I don't need to improve too much as I have invested in young players that I can start to bring through.

Weird things that have happened this year - Hudson-Odoi going to City for 226 million and finishing the season with 9 goals and 7 assists in 50 games - he's really poor for that amount and his avg rating is around 6.89 so no idea why that happened.

England didn't qualify for the World Cup this year despite scoring 42 and conceding 5 goals in their 10 qualification games.

Blackburn finished bottom of the league. They had 9 points. Their goal difference was -101. Conceded 121 in total.

Liverpool have won 3 titles in a row, wish they would feck off but they are relentless.

Nickosaur

Had a great 7th season. Finished 3rd and won the Carabao Cup. I think Greenwood must be *fixed* to score 20 goals a season as in both years with me he has gone through patches where he doesn't score but then scores a hat-trick to get his tally up. Him and Elliot are class though and Gouiri is one of the best back-up strikers I've had. Doesn't complain at all, is on a relatively low contract and scores a bunch too.

Finances are a bit shite but the CL football will help with that and my budget has taken a hit this year but I don't need to improve too much as I have invested in young players that I can start to bring through.

Weird things that have happened this year - Hudson-Odoi going to City for 226 million and finishing the season with 9 goals and 7 assists in 50 games - he's really poor for that amount and his avg rating is around 6.89 so no idea why that happened.

England didn't qualify for the World Cup this year despite scoring 42 and conceding 5 goals in their 10 qualification games.

Blackburn finished bottom of the league. They had 9 points. Their goal difference was -101. Conceded 121 in total.

Liverpool have won 3 titles in a row, wish they would feck off but they are relentless.
In my Brighton save, Liverpool won four titles in a row. My Brighton side stopped them from winning a fifth though - now they're outside the European places and all their players want to leave for continental football :lol:

Congrats on the 3rd place, great achievement and Sunderland does seem like a fun save.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In my Brighton save, Liverpool won four titles in a row. My Brighton side stopped them from winning a fifth though - now they're outside the European places and all their players want to leave for continental football :lol:

Congrats on the 3rd place, great achievement and Sunderland does seem like a fun save.
:drool: That's the dream right there. The worst thing about it on my save is that it's Klopp, he's not left yet.