Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We're absolutely flying, 28 points out of the last 30. Others have games in hand but we have points on the board.

I do think we've had a kind run of fixtures, not played any away games against good teams lately. 3-1 home wins against Charlton and Bolton and a 5-0 against Accrington are the better sides we've played on this run. There will be a hard run of games later in the season.

Expecting to get past Fylde easily in the Cup, they're next up. Still haven't any big cup pay days and fancy a trip to someone with a big ground in the 3rd round should we go through.
The leap up hasn’t phased you at all! How many of the young players are making the first team? Did you bring in any PL loans?

Maluco

Yeah agreed, some of them are very young and will probably improve a lot, but the team probably isn’t good enough at the moment to win the CL. It’s a real dilemma though, go for the EL or go for CL which is best financially? I think I’ll go for EL. Winning it will improve the club reputation a lot.
I think you should try and get through the CL if you can. It is big money at 9 million a round, and you can draw teams like I did which almost guarantee you a semi final. The boost to your whole country is enormous then.

I would love to drop into the Europa on my save to have a crack at it, but I will only do it if I don’t get through naturally. There is too much money involved and you never really know in this game. Sometimes it just clicks.

Chipper

Adulterer.
The leap up hasn’t phased you at all! How many of the young players are making the first team? Did you bring in any PL loans?
None on a regular basis I'm afraid. Started off with really good intentions too, and their playing time has become less as the season has progressed. A couple of the good young players were CMs and we've already had 2 squad members being concerned over their playing time in that position as it is so giving game time to youngsters over them would make it even worse. 3 or 4 of the young 'uns were forwards and we signed 2 first teamers in the summer, only as fringe players but wanted to get them integrated too. Parked most of them in Under 23s as they get the same coaches as the first team, at least that's something.

The one young player that has got the most game time isn't even one of the promising ones, he's a very poor right-back that I gave a pro contract to because I thought there was a chance he might have a career. In previous versions of the game I've always done that, I like to imagine I'm helping them progress and sign any youth products who could make it anywhere, even if it's as low as National League North/South level (tier 6) and that's probably going to be his level if he makes it, tier 5 at absolute best.

Got a couple of PL loans in, a right winger from West Ham and CB from Burnley, both first choice. Also a CM from Championship Leeds (best BBM we have) and a second choice LW from Sochaux in Ligue 2.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I think you should try and get through the CL if you can. It is big money at 9 million a round, and you can draw teams like I did which almost guarantee you a semi final. The boost to your whole country is enormous then.

I would love to drop into the Europa on my save to have a crack at it, but I will only do it if I don’t get through naturally. There is too much money involved and you never really know in this game. Sometimes it just clicks.
Cheers, good points. Having the country reputation boosted would be nice. I think I’d be able to get through a few knockout rounds if I don’t get very unlucky in the draws.

Maluco

None on a regular basis I'm afraid. Started off with really good intentions too, and their playing time has become less as the season has progressed. A couple of the good young players were CMs and we've already had 2 squad members being concerned over their playing time in that position as it is so giving game time to youngsters over them would make it even worse. 3 or 4 of the young 'uns were forwards and we signed 2 first teamers in the summer, only as fringe players but wanted to get them integrated too. Parked most of them in Under 23s as they get the same coaches as the first team, at least that's something.

The one young player that has got the most game time isn't even one of the promising ones, he's a very poor right-back that I gave a pro contract to because I thought there was a chance he might have a career. In previous versions of the game I've always done that, I like to imagine I'm helping them progress and sign any youth products who could make it anywhere, even if it's as low as National League North/South level (tier 6) and that's probably going to be his level if he makes it, tier 5 at absolute best.

Got a couple of PL loans in, a right winger from West Ham and CB from Burnley, both first choice. Also a CM from Championship Leeds (best BBM we have) and a second choice LW from Sochaux in Ligue 2.

Luke Bellars looks like a baller at that level. I think I would be playing him in my game in the top division!

Cheers, good points. Having the country reputation boosted would be nice. I think I’d be able to get through a few knockout rounds if I don’t get very unlucky in the draws.
You shouldn’t go for third on purpose. I got Shakhtar in the last 16 and then Leipzig in the quarter final, which are extremely winnable. After that, you just don’t know what happens, and you are 20 million better off for the next season.

PSG didn’t turn up in the home leg against me and I got a tired City in the final coming off an FA Cup win, after I had the last month off to prepare.

You would drop into the Europa and be getting less money to play teams like Chelsea and Atletico anyway (who both dropped down on my game this season)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Haha, I saw that! There really is so little money in Greece too so it’s a big mistake on his part by the looks of things. You must be delighted to be doing so well when you see how tough it is, even with a perfect youth system!
It's odd because he's already sold a youth player for 5.5m, when it took me about 6 years to do that and even that was a player I'd brought in. At the same time his youth system costs must've led to that new stadium thing as it happened in his test save and this one.
I actually thought he was on course to match what I've done, didn't realise I'd made 3rd in this season. I think a lot of that was down to the bigger teams messing up though. His squad is a bit better than what I was working with.

Chipper

Adulterer.
18 points from the latest block of 10 matches and I have to be happy with that. We hit a really bad spell out of nowhere, getting 3 draws and 2 defeats in 5 before recovering to win 5 in a row. Had a really flat defeat against Oldham, threw away a 3-1 lead against Gillingham to draw 3-3, drew a couple more (not losing to Derby was big) then lost at home to a poor Crawley team when we were playing with 10 men for 88 minutes.

The loss at 'Boro in the cup wasn't too disheartening as they're going well in the Championship. We played well enough, it was an even game and we took what for us was a decent pay day. Crowd wasn't huge - 18k but we did alright money-wise out of it compared to other ties we've had.

Sold one of the youngsters I signed to Millwall during the January window, they made 5 offers before I caved. Got 250k guaranteed plus a load of add ons. Not holding up too much hope on some or any of them coming through but I'm ok with that. Figured it out that we signed 10 kids on £170 a week with 2 year deals. All in all that would have cost us £177k in wages over the 2 years so his sale means we've ended up ahead on all those signings up to that point. He's funded the others and hopefully some of them end up playing for us.

The window is still open and there's a chance we might lose another player, our second choice DLP in midfield. He wasn't happy about playing time, asked for a loan and I said no, plus we've had an enquiry at his value of £105k that I rejected. He's got a minimum fee release clause of £165k for higher division clubs so it's not too much of a jump to get there.

During the turnaround in form I've also changed the pecking order. Number 2 poacher, A guy called Felipe Estrella is now first choice. He was always a more rounded player, and my coaches have been saying all season he's better than Toporkiewicz, a regen I had in there. I had loyalty to Toporkiewicz as last season he got 22 in 38 and Estrella was a new signing this past summer. Thing is, we're already losing Estrella. Only had a one year deal and I held off renewing as he wanted to be considered a star player. Would have done that now, but not when he was #2 in my mind during December and he's now agreed a deal to join Bahia in his Brazilian homeland on a free at the end of the season.

Last edited:

sebsheep

18 points from the latest block of 10 matches and I have to be happy with that. We hit a really bad spell out of nowhere, getting 3 draws and 2 defeats in 5 before recovering to win 5 in a row. Had a really flat defeat against Oldham, threw away a 3-1 lead against Gillingham to draw 3-3, drew a couple more (not losing to Derby was big) then lost at home to a poor Crawley team when we were playing with 10 men for 88 minutes.

The loss at 'Boro in the cup wasn't too disheartening as they're going well in the Championship. We played well enough, it was an even game and we took what for us was a decent pay day. Crowd wasn't huge - 18k but we did alright money-wise out of it compared to other ties we've had.

Sold one of the youngsters I signed to Millwall during the January window, they made 5 offers before I caved. Got 250k guaranteed plus a load of add ons. Not holding up too much hope on some or any of them coming through but I'm ok with that. Figured it out that we signed 10 kids on £170 a week with 2 year deals. All in all that would have cost us £177k in wages over the 2 years so his sale means we've ended up ahead on all those signings up to that point. He's funded the others and hopefully some of them end up playing for us.

The window is still open and there's a chance we might lose another player, our second choice DLP in midfield. He wasn't happy about playing time, asked for a loan and I said no, plus we've had an enquiry at his value of £105k that I rejected. He's got a minimum fee release clause of £165k for higher division clubs so it's not too much of a jump to get there.

During the turnaround in form I've also changed the pecking order. Number 2 poacher, A guy called Felipe Estrella is now first choice. He was always a more rounded player, and my coaches have been saying all season he's better than Toporkiewicz, a regen I had in there. I had loyalty to Toporkiewicz as last season he got 22 in 38 and Estrella was a new signing this past summer. Thing is, we're already losing Estrella. Only had a one year deal and I held off renewing as he wanted to be considered a star player. Would have done that now, but not when he was #2 in my mind during December and he's now agreed a deal to join Bahia in his Brazilian homeland on a free at the end of the season.

You look well set to at least be in the play offs, which would be a a great 1st season in league 1.
Looks like a pretty good deal for that striker, could make a decent amount from the sell on fee as well.

sebsheep

Nice, I've reached that awesome point in the season where the game decides to give you and injury to every player you have for a certain position. This year it's right midfield, in the last week I've lost my starter for 2-3 weeks with strained ankle ligaments, his back up for 2-3 months with a broken ankle and our reserve back up for a week from a twisted knee, that guy had just come back from 6 months out with a broken leg as well.
It's a good thing I don't have a 2-1 deficit in the CL against Valencia to overturn or anything like that...:lol:

Maluco

Nice, I've reached that awesome point in the season where the game decides to give you and injury to every player you have for a certain position. This year it's right midfield, in the last week I've lost my starter for 2-3 weeks with strained ankle ligaments, his back up for 2-3 months with a broken ankle and our reserve back up for a week from a twisted knee, that guy had just come back from 6 months out with a broken leg as well.
It's a good thing I don't have a 2-1 deficit in the CL against Valencia to overturn or anything like that...:lol:
I hate this! For me, it’s always a 6 week one to a key player in the run-in. Season before, it was Kean, when I didn’t have a good enough striker to come in for him.

Finally got cover sorted so this season was my best CB. It’s always the same, an injury which takes the player out for the remainder of the season just before the big games start.

Maluco

That’s crazy that you’re above Derby so soon. Their wage bill must dwarf yours. Automatic promotion would be immense at this stage, although I imagine you would have to sign pretty much a new eleven on freebies to compete their so early.

Chipper

Adulterer.
That’s crazy that you’re above Derby so soon. Their wage bill must dwarf yours. Automatic promotion would be immense at this stage, although I imagine you would have to sign pretty much a new eleven on freebies to compete their so early.
I can actually tell you the exact wage budgets courtesy of that Genie Scout thing I use, and yes, you're right, 10x bigger. There's a few of us with similar budgets but we're paupers compared to them. (9th colum - 'Wag...')

Agreed that we are probably looking at free signings again should we come up for the most part although there is a small transfer budget now. There's some solidarity payment we get at the end of the season as well I think. Didn't know it existed then got given 400k at the end of last season, imagine it will be more in this division. Got a feeling we might look to develop the stadium and plunge ourselves into huge debts soon!

Got a left winger coming already on a free, he's a small upgrade on what we have. Only wants to be a fringe player so if we do go up I could possibly sign someone even better than him to be first pick and he wouldn't complain about being second choice.

Maluco

I can actually tell you the exact wage budgets courtesy of that Genie Scout thing I use, and yes, you're right, 10x bigger. There's a few of us with similar budgets but we're paupers compared to them. (9th colum - 'Wag...')

Agreed that we are probably looking at free signings again should we come up for the most part although there is a small transfer budget now. There's some solidarity payment we get at the end of the season as well I think. Didn't know it existed then got given 400k at the end of last season, imagine it will be more in this division. Got a feeling we might look to develop the stadium and plunge ourselves into huge debts soon!

Got a left winger coming already on a free, he's a small upgrade on what we have. Only wants to be a fringe player so if we do go up I could possibly sign someone even better than him to be first pick and he wouldn't complain about being second choice.
I think loans will be key in the Championship. I always tried to get the best players possible in on loan, using all the available slots, before using any transfer money to fill in the gaps. I would say the quality of loans available to you will far outweigh anyone you can buy.

It’s still the same for me now as a CL winner. I had to sell 20+ million of player just to get a budget of 16 million.

The loans I have brought in (Valverde (52 million), de Beek (63 million), Lindelof (42 million) and Ox (33 million)) are players that I would never be able to buy, but bring me up a level.

sebsheep

I hate this! For me, it’s always a 6 week one to a key player in the run-in. Season before, it was Kean, when I didn’t have a good enough striker to come in for him.

Finally got cover sorted so this season was my best CB. It’s always the same, an injury which takes the player out for the remainder of the season just before the big games start.
Had to play a RB there, he then got himself sent off after 36mins. :lol:
Lost the game 3-0 and the tie 5-1, I think they had 1 clear cut chance to my 5 over the 2 legs.

Maluco

Had to play a RB there, he then got himself sent off after 36mins. :lol:
Lost the game 3-0 and the tie 5-1, I think they had 1 clear cut chance to my 5 over the 2 legs.
That is incredibly frustrating, but I find the game almost unfolds like a story. Next season I would not be surprised if you went and won it!

sebsheep

That is incredibly frustrating, but I find the game almost unfolds like a story. Next season I would not be surprised if you went and won it!
Not sure we're there yet, plus we constantly have to rebuild and I'm trying to keep the wages under certain controls until I see what the new stadium does for us.

sebsheep

Finished up the 12th season, not sure I can claim another treble but we did beat Barca to win the European Super Cup. Another unbeaten season in the league, in fact we lost 2 games all season, both to Valencia in the CL 1st knockout round.

Couple of the awards we got this year, keeper named world gk of the year and we took all the talent of the year awards in Greece.

Ajayi has been amazing this season 13 goals and 22 assists and just tears teams apart constantly. Spurs tried bidding for him but he wasn't even interested. :lol:

Maluco

Finished up the 12th season, not sure I can claim another treble but we did beat Barca to win the European Super Cup. Another unbeaten season in the league, in fact we lost 2 games all season, both to Valencia in the CL 1st knockout round.

Couple of the awards we got this year, keeper named world gk of the year and we took all the talent of the year awards in Greece.

Ajayi has been amazing this season 13 goals and 22 assists and just tears teams apart constantly. Spurs tried bidding for him but he wasn't even interested. :lol:
I will definitely be claiming it if I win it :lol: , as I have for each Dutch Super Cup. Always really annoyed when I don’t win those!

Chipper

Adulterer.

Would you rather have won the Europa League again by finishing 3rd in the CL group and dropping down than do what you did in the CL? You look like you're in that sort of space, a bit like Sevilla from a few years ago in real life where they were a top Europa League side, very capable of winning it but not quite a top Champions League side. I could have that wrong but it sort of looks like that from following your save.

Do you think you can become a top side in the CL consistently or do you think being in Greece will just always make that impossible?

Chipper

Adulterer.
We're coming up barring absolute faliure.

Actually played 2 more matches than this last night but my game crashed and I lost them. Luckily I was taking advice that I received on this thread and am now saving every 2 weeks. We got 4 points from the next 2 first time around, will see what happens this time.

I think a lot of you know that I'm using some tactic that I downloaded, although I have tweaked it a bit over time. Well it does pretty much have a corner exploit in it. Going to remove that next season, I want to be a bit more 'pure' with the way I play I suppose. Central defender goal counts from corners are just unrealistic and I suppose I feel a bit guilty in a way.

Ignore the positions I've selected them in here, just wanted group all of them together to easily show their goal counts:

Davies is realistic, probably only because he has poor heading stats - 8 out of 20, maybe Thompson too but not Black and Rojas. They're scoring too often for my liking as daft as that might sound and it's been that way since I adopted this tactic. Everyone will still get some goals with the default routine or whatever I come up with so that's what I'll do next season.

We have a long throw-in routine that gets a few goals too but it doesn't feel anywhere as overpowered as corners. The number of goals we get from it probably wouldn't be too different from throwing it short and building up play or crossing it following a thow in. I enjoy watching the chaos in the box when we launch one in there too so I'm keeping that.

sebsheep

Would you rather have won the Europa League again by finishing 3rd in the CL group and dropping down than do what you did in the CL? You look like you're in that sort of space, a bit like Sevilla from a few years ago in real life where they were a top Europa League side, very capable of winning it but not quite a top Champions League side. I could have that wrong but it sort of looks like that from following your save.

Do you think you can become a top side in the CL consistently or do you think being in Greece will just always make that impossible?
I would say we'd probably have had a decent shot at retaining the Europa yeah, I don't really agree with dropping down to the Europa on purpose though so it really just depends on how well we do in the CL groups. It was just one of those ties where things just didn't go our way really. When we played Barca in the Super Cup, we outplayed them as well so I'm not sure we're super far off having an underdog run.
That was before we lost our left winger for €74m to PSG though. We'll have to see how the freebie I got from Chelsea gets on.

Depending on how our new stadium move works for us I may start to loosen the wage bill restrictions I've been voluntarily putting in place to see how good a squad we can really build.

sebsheep

We're coming up barring absolute faliure.

Actually played 2 more matches than this last night but my game crashed and I lost them. Luckily I was taking advice that I received on this thread and am now saving every 2 weeks. We got 4 points from the next 2 first time around, will see what happens this time.

I think a lot of you know that I'm using some tactic that I downloaded, although I have tweaked it a bit over time. Well it does pretty much have a corner exploit in it. Going to remove that next season, I want to be a bit more 'pure' with the way I play I suppose. Central defender goal counts from corners are just unrealistic and I suppose I feel a bit guilty in a way.

Ignore the positions I've selected them in here, just wanted group all of them together to easily show their goal counts:

Davies is realistic, probably only because he has poor heading stats - 8 out of 20, maybe Thompson too but not Black and Rojas. They're scoring too often for my liking as daft as that might sound and it's been that way since I adopted this tactic. Everyone will still get some goals with the default routine or whatever I come up with so that's what I'll do next season.

We have a long throw-in routine that gets a few goals too but it doesn't feel anywhere as overpowered as corners. The number of goals we get from it probably wouldn't be too different from throwing it short and building up play or crossing it following a thow in. I enjoy watching the chaos in the box when we launch one in there too so I'm keeping that.
I started using long throws last season because we picked up a couple of FBs with decent stats for them. I didn't really change the amount of players in the box, just moved the 1 CB I've always sent up to the near post. They're really odd, you'll go 7-8 games where nothing happens and then you'll get 2 goals in a game from them. They also don't seem to do much in the bigger matches.
Corners are just strong in general I think, I left the instruction on mixed and have a CB attack each post with a few more players go forward and someone to mark the keeper, a couple of seasons I've had 15+ goals from them even we without really tall players.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I would say we'd probably have had a decent shot at retaining the Europa yeah, I don't really agree with dropping down to the Europa on purpose though so it really just depends on how well we do in the CL groups. It was just one of those ties where things just didn't go our way really. When we played Barca in the Super Cup, we outplayed them as well so I'm not sure we're super far off having an underdog run.
That was before we lost our left winger for €74m to PSG though. We'll have to see how the freebie I got from Chelsea gets on.

Depending on how our new stadium move works for us I may start to loosen the wage bill restrictions I've been voluntarily putting in place to see how good a squad we can really build.
Yeah, you can sometimes get those ties so perhaps I was reading too much into that. Things not going your way in the games, or maybe their system just matches up well to yours and if you'd have played someone else you'd have gone further. Beating Barca and meriting it has to be a good sign and the extra wage will help just as long as you're careful and not wasteful with it.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Finished our season well, beat Derby away in the penultimate match which was good even though it didn't mean anything.

Now I'm just going to go forward about a month in the game and see what's happening in the transfer market. Been given 1.6m to spend but might voluntarily drop that down to increase max wage of a single player and overall wage budget. We'll see. Will be looking for loans on the day the window opens, see if I can pick up any players with contracts expiring too of course. From past versions of the game I remember being able to get better players on a free once the game updates/announces the increase in club reputation just before the new set of fixtures are revealed. Not sure if that's still the case.

Stadium was 95% full so something could be about be happen, not sure. I don't think I'll be pushing/asking for it but instead want to ask about training and youth facilities which are still basic. I'd like an academy too. We wouldn't necessarily be the only Championship side without one, looking at my save 5 teams from this current season that just finished didn't have one in that division but we're kind of at the point where we should be having one if we can.

sebsheep

Yeah, you can sometimes get those ties so perhaps I was reading too much into that. Things not going your way in the games, or maybe their system just matches up well to yours and if you'd have played someone else you'd have gone further. Beating Barca and meriting it has to be a good sign and the extra wage will help just as long as you're careful and not wasteful with it.
My system seems to work in an odd way against better teams, I have it set to things like higher tempo, standard passing and pass into space so my possession just goes down to about 40% or less but at the same time we create more and better chances.

sebsheep

Finished our season well, beat Derby away in the penultimate match which was good even though it didn't mean anything.

Now I'm just going to go forward about a month in the game and see what's happening in the transfer market. Been given 1.6m to spend but might voluntarily drop that down to increase max wage of a single player and overall wage budget. We'll see. Will be looking for loans on the day the window opens, see if I can pick up any players with contracts expiring too of course. From past versions of the game I remember being able to get better players on a free once the game updates/announces the increase in club reputation just before the new set of fixtures are revealed. Not sure if that's still the case.

Stadium was 95% full so something could be about be happen, not sure. I don't think I'll be pushing/asking for it but instead want to ask about training and youth facilities which are still basic. I'd like an academy too. We wouldn't necessarily be the only Championship side without one, looking at my save 5 teams from this current season that just finished didn't have one in that division but we're kind of at the point where we should be having one if we can.
Absolutely smashed that league one, nice job!
Would probably look to get as much quality as I could in from free agents and loans as well, that said you can sometimes find quality players for next to nothing.

sebsheep

Up to the end of the January transfer window now. Just about top of the league and managed to win my CL group that was made up of Chelsea, Levski and Partizan. Will now play Porto in the 1st knockout round. Not too shabby considering I signed a LB in the summer not realising at first that he didn't actually join until January, then I completely forgot to actually get a loan in to cover that period. :lol:
January got a little bit crazy and I ended up spending 86m, we've still made over 100m in transfer profits this yeah though.

Brought back this guy, was amazing for me for 2 seasons on loan from Chelsea and I had been getting big bids for my current RB from China, decided I'd try it and make the move. Big wages but he's worth it imo.

New BWM, has very good mentals and his physically and technically pretty strong.

Last big signing is a new CB I had to get because one of my wonderkid CBs kicked up a fuss about me not letting him leave and the squad got pissed, then were mad when I let him leave. He's pretty decent, currently have 2 better ones but 3 quality CBs is how I'm rolling atm.

Might have a decision to make in the summer Ajayi was getting a lot of interest in the summer and Bayern were popping 80m bids in for him. He has a negative happiness note of thinking he might need to move to a bigger club now. I actually have a very good RM for his position, who is at a similar level to him.

Dinevski also has the consistent performer report, whilst Ajayi has needs to be more consistent (despite actually being pretty consistent for me).

Maluco

Season Five underway at Excelsior...

In
Pierie
15 million
Brewster 15 million
Valverde Loan
Van der Beek Loan
The Ox Loan
Lindelof Loan
Fred Free
Ceballos Free

Out
Cuenca
17.5 million
Connell 13.75 million
Hlozek 9 million
Anjorin 9 million

A few new youngsters were brought in too. Arezo joins Morilla as homegrown and Pierie is a back up for CB and LB. Adding to the Dutch contingent is van der Beek on loan. Freebies Ceballos and Fred are risk free and could bring in some cash next summer if they don’t settle.

We won the Dutch Super Cup before beating Arsenal 9-8 on penalties to lift the European Super Cup.

Erdivisie

We started off playing so badly and needed a rollicking at half time to get into games, but we scraped past teams and started to find some better playing form before the break.

Ajax are being poorly managed (spending 22 million on 32 year old Wijnaldum) and are off the pace once again. PSV look much improved and sit in 3rd, but our city rivals Feyenoord have emerged as our main rivals in the league. A good 0-0 draw at their place just before the break preserving a 6 point lead at Christmas.

The big issue is, after our fighting to finally have them here permanently, Kean and, particularly, Brewster have been awful. Brewster scored 25 goals from January to give us European glory, but has only 5 goals so far this season and misses far too many chances. Kean hasn’t been much better and it has taken it’s toll elsewhere as we shall see!

Dutch Cup

Into the last 16 with Volendam standing between us and the quarters.

Champions League

Defending champions, I winced a little at our group as a 1st seed. We still contrived to get Leverkusen, Roma and Monaco. Three teams which seem to improve as saves go on. How bad could it be though after our nightmare group last year!??

Started off well, beating Leverkusen 1-0 at home, before a red card meant we lost a 0-2 lead in Rome and only drew 2-2. We then lost 0-1 to Monaco at home with a makeshift midfield.

No worries I thought, as we powered to a 3-1 win in France on the next game day. Away at Leverkusen could have gone either way but we ended up losing 3-0 after pushing forward to get back in the game. Strikers, again, not turning up.

At home to Roma, who we outplayed away from home, to seal qualification....and we lost 0-2. Whole team full of 6.3’s as we bottled it and crashed out of the CL.

Out meager 7 points means we are down into the Europa League, where we will play Everton, who look every bit as good as the teams who beat us here.

Plans

I am baffled at what has happened to our strikers, it has left us toothless and means that, while we are still good enough domestically, we just didn’t compete in Europe at all. Brewster has been dropped for Osimhen.

I would love to say we can come back and mount a challenge in the Europa League, but our strikers have shown no signs of returning to form and I am stumped. I fully expect a stocked Everton to turn us over in February.

We only made a few measured changes and everyone is happy with good morale. If I mess with formations, I risk dropping vital points in the league. The top teams don’t lose too much.

We have no money for January so I can’t see us making many changes until the summer. We have to hope that van der Beek (who has been woeful when he plays) and Ceballos settle and that our strikers can magically return to form.

How can two strikers with 187 goals between them in two and a half seasons play so terribly? It’s a mystery so far, and has cost us money, which means we will be forced to sell some players in the summer no matter what happens.

Last edited:

Maluco

Really depressing me now. After 96 goals in 2 and a half seasons, Brewster now has only 6 in the last 6 months. Awful.

Kean not much better on 10 (after 91 in 2 and half seasons)

Just not the same team and Everton game coming up fast.:(

sebsheep

Really depressing me now. After 96 goals in 2 and a half seasons, Brewster now has only 6 in the last 6 months. Awful.

Kean not much better on 10 (after 91 in 2 and half seasons)

Just not the same team and Everton game coming up fast.:(
Have you had a word with them?

Maluco

Hmm, have you tried tweaking roles/tactics a little?
Tried a little, and also tried training recommended traits and nothing. No one else’s performances in the team have dropped, and still creating the same amount of chances.

We created more in all our CL games, but we are out. Starting to lose hope that they will come back now.

sebsheep

Tried a little, and also tried training recommended traits and nothing. No one else’s performances in the team have dropped, and still creating the same amount of chances.

We created more in all our CL games, but we are out. Starting to lose hope that they will come back now.
Might just be a phase. Tbh I'm having a similar issue with my own #1 striker, guy is being outscored by a much worse player stat wise. Gave him a pay rise to 60k a week at the start of the season as well. :lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Might just be a phase. Tbh I'm having a similar issue with my own #1 striker, guy is being outscored by a much worse player stat wise. Gave him a pay rise to 60k a week at the start of the season as well. :lol:
I've just fired this up for the first time in a long time and played half a season of my old save... My top scorer in a bits-and-pieces centre mid with 4 finishing and the "looks for the pass rather than the shot" PPM. He doesn't even take any set pieces. :houllier:

sebsheep

I've just fired this up for the first time in a long time and played half a season of my old save... My top scorer in a bits-and-pieces centre mid with 4 finishing and the "looks for the pass rather than the shot" PPM. He doesn't even take any set pieces. :houllier:
Just think about how many he could have if he didn't look for the pass!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just spent ages getting my head around scouting, It's very different to what I'm used to.

As I use Genie Scout the only thing I ever want to scouts to do in-game is scout specific players I ask to them to look at that I've already identified as possible targets. They're then to come back to me and tell me if the club will sell, for how much, whether the player is interested and what kind of wages he might want. The rest of the year I don't need them to do anything at all and I don't need their opinion on players.

Up until now I've not needed scouts even to find out potential transfer costs in this save as all my signings have been free transfers. Been able to just try and offer players a contract to see if they're interested. In the case of potential loans I've just gone to the loan offer screen and am either able to make an offer or not if the club wants him to play with better players.

These packages were confusing m. Don't think I need any with the way I play but bought one anyway, as was the ability to ask scouts to scout a player for 1-4 weeks. In the older versions of the game I played they'd just come back to you with a price in 2-3 days and whether or not they think the player is any good which I'd ignore anyway. Seems you've now got to wait the full week for the report to pop up in your inbox, although I am seeing them start to appear on the Assignments>Scout Priorities screen for some players as below. That's all the info I need so I'm thinking that cancelling assignments when they come through like that to try and get them started on other players sooner is worth a try . Not sure if that actually works but worth a go to attempt to get through the list of potential targets as fast as possible.

I could do with some more scouts too, about to add a load of players to the list. Hired 2 this summer on top the head scout who for the last 4 years has been doing nothing but next opponent reports for a bit of fun.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Just spent ages getting my head around scouting, It's very different to what I'm used to.

As I use Genie Scout the only thing I ever want to scouts to do in-game is scout specific players I ask to them to look at that I've already identified as possible targets. They're then to come back to me and tell me if the club will sell, for how much, whether the player is interested and what kind of wages he might want. The rest of the year I don't need them to do anything at all and I don't need their opinion on players.

Up until now I've not needed scouts even to find out potential transfer costs in this save as all my signings have been free transfers. Been able to just try and offer players a contract to see if they're interested. In the case of potential loans I've just gone to the loan offer screen and am either able to make an offer or not if the club wants him to play with better players.

These packages were confusing m. Don't think I need any with the way I play but bought one anyway, as was the ability to ask scouts to scout a player for 1-4 weeks. In the older versions of the game I played they'd just come back to you with a price in 2-3 days and whether or not they think the player is any good which I'd ignore anyway. Seems you've now got to wait the full week for the report to pop up in your inbox, although I am seeing them start to appear on the Assignments>Scout Priorities screen for some players as below. That's all the info I need so I'm thinking that cancelling assignments when they come through like that to try and get them started on other players sooner is worth a try . Not sure if that actually works but worth a go to attempt to get through the list of potential targets as fast as possible.

I could do with some more scouts too, about to add a load of players to the list. Hired 2 this summer on top the head scout who for the last 4 years has been doing nothing but next opponent reports for a bit of fun.

Can't really remember if it was that different in past versions for the minimum length tbh, I know can get your scout to look at a player for a match or 2 though, so that could make them report back in theory.
I just set mine to 2 weeks because after 1 week they hardly give me any attributes to judge whether or not it worth continuing scouting.

sebsheep

Season finished, another domestic double and finished runners up in the CL. Price turned out to be a great signing, the guy assisted 2 goals in our 3-2 win over Porto in the home leg (finished 3-2 over all), then set up 2 and scored 1 in a 3-0 away win against Dortmund (3-0 overall) and topped it off with a strong dribble past 2 A-Madrid players to then smash the ball into the back of the net giving us a 2-1 away win in the 1st leg in the CL semis. We went though that tie on away goals after losing 1-0 at home when our keeper decided he'd take charge of a free kick close to our corner flag, he then booted it into the midfield area right to the feet of an opposition players, who scored from about 50 yards. :lol: Didn't even have an actual left back for the Knockout stages after I couldn't register the new player I signed in January and kinda sold my other one to a Chinese club after the window closed...
Not even sure I want to talk about the final.

Made it to the top of the Greek League hall of fame now, don't think it counts European cups as I actually have just over 1400 points putting me 2nd in English managers.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's fecking sickening. :( I'm trying to use FM to get away from certain occurrences in the world of actual football!

How is the stature of the Greek league doing in your game off the back of your exploits in Europe?