Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

NoLogo

So season coming down to the wire. After my bad start and having 11 points deficit on Liverpool, I managed to snatch first place from Arsenal at the 33rd game day. I'm one point ahead of Arsenal and 3 points ahead of Liverpool, so still everything is possible it seems. Even Wolves are still in the race, they are currently 4th and 8 points behind me. Mid season I did something I almost never do, I switched formations and am now playing a 442 instead of a 4231 but it worked and I'm finally getting more out of Greenwood (30 Goals) and Rashford (21 Goals) my best goal scorers behind Haaland (39 Goals).

I also got past Liverpool in the CL semi-final surprisingly easy with a 2-0 win at Anfield and a 4-0 win at Old Trafford. Which is astounding since my league record against them is a 1-2 at home and a 0-0 at Anfield. Now I play Arsenal in the CL final who I have beaten 6-2 the last time we met.

My backup players also won the CC against Arsenal, played it strictly with Youngsters and rotation players, so I'm pretty happy about that. FA Cup I went out against Tottenham in the 5th round though, with a full strength team, which was super annoying.

NoLogo

I think during my entire time playing FM I've only ever had 2-3 real successes when retraining players to a new position. It just never seems to work that well in the game for me. Never understand how you can have a player train in a position for years and they never get to full green either (some never make it to green), yet James Milner exists in real life.
I found that it actually doesn't matter if they are green in their new position or not. Currently I play Diogo Jota on the left wing as an IW-A, rotating him with Sancho and he is doing super well despite being shown as red in terms of position familiarity. He currently has 16 goals and 17 assists in 37 games, which isn't too shabby I feel.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So season coming down to the wire. After my bad start and having 11 points deficit on Liverpool, I managed to snatch first place from Arsenal at the 33rd game day. I'm one point ahead of Arsenal and 3 points ahead of Liverpool, so still everything is possible it seems. Even Wolves are still in the race, they are currently 4th and 8 points behind me. Mid season I did something I almost never do, I switched formations and am now playing a 442 instead of a 4231 but it worked and I'm finally getting more out of Greenwood (30 Goals) and Rashford (21 Goals) my best goal scorers behind Haaland (39 Goals).

I also got past Liverpool in the CL semi-final surprisingly easy with a 2-0 win at Anfield and a 4-0 win at Old Trafford. Which is astounding since my league record against them is a 1-2 at home and a 0-0 at Anfield. Now I play Arsenal in the CL final who I have beaten 6-2 the last time we met.

My backup players also won the CC against Arsenal, played it strictly with Youngsters and rotation players, so I'm pretty happy about that. FA Cup I went out against Tottenham in the 5th round though, with a full strength team, which was super annoying.
Wow, what the heck happened to Liverpool? :lol:

I found that it actually doesn't matter if they are green in their new position or not. Currently I play Diogo Jota on the left wing as an IW-A, rotating him with Sancho and he is doing super well despite being shown as red in terms of position familiarity. He currently has 16 goals and 17 assists in 37 games, which isn't too shabby I feel.
Sometimes it can work alright, I think it works differently for different positions but I'm not 100% sure. Seems to affect the defensive side of a players game more for me.

sebsheep

Managed to gain 7 points more in the 1st stage of the league this year, leaving me in 4th place and gaining qualification to the championship group and a chance at getting into one of the Europa league/Euro league II spots. Didn't even realise I only missed out on that group last year due to my head to head record with the team in 6th :rolleyes:

Eduardo and Holebas both retired at the end of last year, didn't manage to find any bigger names to bring in this year. Sold my most valuable player for 900k, was worth more than he should've been tbh and I got a very good freebie in to replace him. The team overall is a decent bit stronger though and we've competed better against some of the stronger teams.

NoLogo

Wow, what the heck happened to Liverpool? :lol:

Sometimes it can work alright, I think it works differently for different positions but I'm not 100% sure. Seems to affect the defensive side of a players game more for me.
Liverpool completely crashed and burned in the second half of the season. Actually I think after the world cup, which is the winter world cup, their form dipped. I think until than they had pretty much won every game.

They also didn't have the best run in with 3 league losses in April and May.

In the end Arsenal couldn't keep up either but City where actually a complete disaster this season, barely getting into the EL spots. Wolves certainly was the surprise team of the season snatching up 4th spot, finishing only two points behind Liverpool

Oh yeah and Haaland snatched up the golden boot again with 29 goals this time.

And just begged my 2nd CL in a row. :devil:

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Fairly ridiculous from us, especially this:

"Malynicz argued, in relation to the alleged infringement of the trademark on United’s logo, that “consumers expect to see the club crest next to the name Manchester United ... and this failure to do so amounts to wrongful use”. "

Other fans are going to be pissing themselves over the petty nature of it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Our positive PR couldn't continue for too long, could it? Seriously, United?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Liverpool completely crashed and burned in the second half of the season. Actually I think after the world cup, which is the winter world cup, their form dipped. I think until than they had pretty much won every game.
They have Salah, Stengs, Felix, Everton, Martinez, Kane AND Dybala all in their squad? :lol: What the feck?

Last edited:

NoLogo

They have Salah, Stengs, Felix, Everton, Martinez, Kane AND Dybala all in their squad? :lol: What the feck?
Jep, and all for ridiculous low wages, the cheating feckers. Like not even one of these attackers was on 300k+ pw. I have at least 5 players over 300k pw. Haaland, Pogba, de Gea, Barnardo and Camavinga. Next contracts where I surely have to go over 300k are Sancho, Greenwood and Todibo. Och yeah even Chong wants 350k pw. Fecking shit clown show at my club.

sebsheep

Just ruined PAOK's season and probably made a life long enemy club.

They went into the last game of the season with a 1 point lead over AEK Athens, now their last game was against the plucky upstarts of Apollon (my boys), who were looking to secure 3rd place with a win.
Things were looking bad for us as we went 1-0 down away from home. Then PAOK had a man sent off, we peg them back 1-1 just before half time. Game gets to about 70 minutes and I'm thinking that a draw might do, but then Olympiakos take the lead in their game to knock me down to 4th. We need to go attacking a my left winger turns it on bagging 2 goals to give us a the win. AEK win their game and win the league on the last day of the season.

It gets worse for PAOK though, they have a Greek cup final a week later against........ Rebekah Vardy!
We then end up beating them on penalties!

Great season for us but they must be pissed. :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Got an interesting save going ATM. I started with Koblenz in the German 5th tier and managed to wok my way up to the Bundesliga in 6 seasons. I had initially set out to establish them as the top German club but half-way through I became open to the idea of switching to a journeyman type save.

Around 3/4 way through our first season in the top flight Antonio Conte got the sack at a massively underperforming Bayern team who were 10th after 25 games!

I then got offered an interview with Leipzig who we're also looking for a new manager at the time. I was initially hesitant but after thinking about it I thought I'd at least do the interview and I would think things over should they offer me the job. They did. I asked for a week to mull things over and two days later Bayern offered me an interview.

Now, I've never managed Bayern in any FM game before, I did the interview and a few days go by and they offer me the job. I couldn't turn it down.

Maybe I was seduced by the money, their wage budget is £220 Million P/A compared to the £8 Million P/A I was working with at Koblenz :lol:

I am looking forward to putting them back to the top though. I'm thinking of going to Milan after I'm done with Bayern. They've had 15 solid years without winning anything!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Got an interesting save going ATM. I started with Koblenz in the German 5th tier and managed to wok my way up to the Bundesliga in 6 seasons. I had initially set out to establish them as the top German club but half-way through I became open to the idea of switching to a journeyman type save.

Around 3/4 way through our first season in the top flight Antonio Conte got the sack at a massively underperforming Bayern team who were 10th after 25 games!

I then got offered an interview with Leipzig who we're also looking for a new manager at the time. I was initially hesitant but after thinking about it I thought I'd at least do the interview and I would think things over should they offer me the job. They did. I asked for a week to mull things over and two days later Bayern offered me an interview.

Now, I've never managed Bayern in any FM game before, I did the interview and a few days go by and they offer me the job. I couldn't turn it down.

Maybe I was seduced by the money, their wage budget is £220 Million P/A compared to the £8 Million P/A I was working with at Koblenz :lol:

I am looking forward to putting them back to the top though. I'm thinking of going to Milan after I'm done with Bayern. They've had 15 solid years without winning anything!
Be careful, I made the change from Coventry to Everton after working my up. My instinct was to stay as I was in the Prem anyway, but money, career and all that!!

It ended up ruining my save. Made it to January in 4th, but it was soulless and have deleted the whole thing now. Realized about November that I wasn’t really getting into it and was looking at Coventrys results all the time!

Need a new idea for a save now. It’s been great to dip into anytime I’m at a loose end.

Berbaclass

Be careful, I made the change from Coventry to Everton after working my up. My instinct was to stay as I was in the Prem anyway, but money, career and all that!!

It ended up ruining my save. Made it to January in 4th, but it was soulless and have deleted the whole thing now. Realized about November that I wasn’t really getting into it and was looking at Coventrys results all the time!

Need a new idea for a save now. It’s been great to dip into anytime I’m at a loose end.
I'm pretty happy with the choice to move. Just finishing my pre-season now. Looking forward to the season ahead!

Bayern will probably be a 5-10 year thing then I'll probably lose the interest. Maybe I may return to Koblenz or indeed go to Milan if I can. Who knows.

Maluco

I'm pretty happy with the choice to move. Just finishing my pre-season now. Looking forward to the season ahead!

Bayern will probably be a 5-10 year thing then I'll probably lose the interest. Maybe I may return to Koblenz or indeed go to Milan if I can. Who knows.
I didn’t think mine was a bad move either but in hindsight my target was an elite club. I should have kept Coventry competitive and waited for a big side like I wanted.

I might try it again from the bottom, maybe League One or League Two because the very bottom seemed too easy to get through.

I liked your Poland save too, but don’t know what country to start in.

Berbaclass

I didn’t think mine was a bad move either but in hindsight my target was an elite club. I should have kept Coventry competitive and waited for a big side like I wanted.

I might try it again from the bottom, maybe League One or League Two because the very bottom seemed too easy to get through.

I liked your Poland save too, but don’t know what country to start in.
I hate managing in England. 40+ games is too much of a slog.

Poland was great, the seasons we're nice and snappy. Decent foreign rules.

I would like to do Austria at some point maybe or even Portugal. Never managed in either of those.

NoLogo

Since I'm already dominating and PSG is annoying me with their stupidly low offers for my players I just took Mbappé off of them for €210M, was a bit surprised they already accepted that bid but feck em. In return Rashford is off to Real who made an okay offer of €98M. A bit sad to see him leave, but he only had one year left on his contract so this was a pretty great offer imo. Also brought in 2 Newgens, one promising English right FB from Southampton and a really great 17 year old Belgian kid from AA Gent who actually makes me think I would be willing to accept an offer for Diogo Jota if someone is going to bid for him.

Berbaclass

I've rarely seen better at his age. Relatively low finishing but I'll have no problem improving it. Everything else is brilliant.

Lay

When I saw you leaving for Everton I thought it was the wrong move. Coventry was where it was at!

sebsheep

We only went and qualified for the Euro Cup II group stage. Beat a Danish team I cannot even begin to try to spell, Maccabi Haifa and Hearts to make it through. Between that run and 2 of my best players being sold (buy out clauses met) we had almost cleared out debt. Then they gave us €2.9m for making the group stages. That is massive for this club.

Maluco

When I saw you leaving for Everton I thought it was the wrong move. Coventry was where it was at!
So it proved! I don’t keep save points back further to keep the realism in it, so spoilt it in the end. The money tempted me but it was a mistake. I was building a good team on a budget with Coventry and would have had a decent season I think.

Back to the drawing board now after working my way up from nothing :(

Maluco

Just had the GOAT season

That’s amazing, I have never been able to do that. I was unbeaten in League One I think but as soon as I had won it, I think I only won two of the last five games. I couldn’t motivate the players anymore. That has happened me a few times. I have never been able to finish a season unbeaten.

Berbaclass

That’s amazing, I have never been able to do that. I was unbeaten in League One I think but as soon as I had won it, I think I only won two of the last five games. I couldn’t motivate the players anymore. That has happened me a few times. I have never been able to finish a season unbeaten.
The year I think it's much easier for some reason. Like you, in the past when it's been mathematically sealed my players let a game or two slip but with my Sunderland team I was 3 seasons unbeaten before I lost interest in the save. I went something like 233 without a loss in my Polish save too.

I have found it so easy to establish dominance in pretty much any league this year. I wonder why that is. I haven't particularly changed much about my tactical approach/ideas.

Maluco

The year I think it's much easier for some reason. Like you, in the past when it's been mathematically sealed my players let a game or two slip but with my Sunderland team I was 3 seasons unbeaten before I lost interest in the save. I went something like 233 without a loss in my Polish save too.

I have found it so easy to establish dominance in pretty much any league this year. I wonder why that is. I haven't particularly changed much about my tactical approach/ideas.
You seem to be finding unbelievable youngsters with ease, so it could be down to the quality of player just being that much better.

At the end of the day, I think that’s what it boils down to. Most tactics work if the players are far superior. It’s basically an arms race.

I have been trying to play longer saves, but I do admit that the enjoyment goes down for me when the real life players disappear and there are SO many top regens in every team.

Berbaclass

You seem to be finding unbelievable youngsters with ease, so it could be down to the quality of player just being that much better.

At the end of the day, I think that’s what it boils down to. Most tactics work if the players are far superior. It’s basically an arms race.

I have been trying to play longer saves, but I do admit that the enjoyment goes down for me when the real life players disappear and there are SO many top regens in every team.
I literally just scour Colombia as soon as I can, there's no secret to it :lol:

I was thinking about that aspect last night. Maybe I should do a save where I ban myself from getting South American regens.

I have in my Koblenz save been using that youth rating mod where all nations are equal so the countries are more varied.

Maluco

I literally just scour Colombia as soon as I can, there's no secret to it :lol:

I was thinking about that aspect last night. Maybe I should do a save where I ban myself from getting South American regens.

I have in my Koblenz save been using that youth rating mod where all nations are equal so the countries are more varied.
Go for a save in Bilbao :drool:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I've rarely seen better at his age. Relatively low finishing but I'll have no problem improving it. Everything else is brilliant.

fecking hell mate, looks like you’ve got an R9 level talent there.

Ludens the Red

Bang on the money this, it’s weird because the first two/three seasons It’s exciting finding regens but when they overtake the game it seems odd cos half the players aren’t real and some of them are just ridiculously good.
In that Leeds save I basically set myself a rule where I’d only have regens who came through my academy but didn’t end up using any in my actual line up. It’s year eight now though so it’s getting tough, most real players are now all 28 and over. And players retire too fecking early as well, 32/33 certain players are hanging up their boots.

4-4-2 is so OP :lol:
OP?

Berbaclass

Bang on the money this, it’s weird because the first two/three seasons It’s exciting finding regens but when they overtake the game it seems odd cos half the players aren’t real and some of them are just ridiculously good.
In that Leeds save I basically set myself a rule where I’d only have regens who came through my academy but didn’t end up using any in my actual line up. It’s year eight now though so it’s getting tough, most real players are now all 28 and over. And players retire too fecking early as well, 32/33 certain players are hanging up their boots.

OP?
Overpowered. All the best/most effective tactics this year are 4-4-2