Gaming Football Manager 2020 (PC, Mac, Switch, Android, iOS, Stadia)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Bang on the money this, it’s weird because the first two/three seasons It’s exciting finding regens but when they overtake the game it seems odd cos half the players aren’t real and some of them are just ridiculously good.
In that Leeds save I basically set myself a rule where I’d only have regens who came through my academy but didn’t end up using any in my actual line up. It’s year eight now though so it’s getting tough, most real players are now all 28 and over. And players retire too fecking early as well, 32/33 certain players are hanging up their boots.
They have overdone it to make sure players can find new top stars and to keep all the big teams competitive but you have new Ronaldo’s coming out of Brighton’s youth system and teams like Southampton are producing 4-5 Prem quality players a year, which just doesn’t happen.

The worst offender is Man City who produce world class players on a yearly basis and have U23 and U19 squads literally full of players ready to play at most sides.

It’s too powerful and means the game eventually just becomes random with so many teams having great sides.

I am going to start just a division or two down next time so I can enjoy those initial seasons a bit more.

Ludens the Red

The year I think it's much easier for some reason. Like you, in the past when it's been mathematically sealed my players let a game or two slip but with my Sunderland team I was 3 seasons unbeaten before I lost interest in the save. I went something like 233 without a loss in my Polish save too.

I have found it so easy to establish dominance in pretty much any league this year. I wonder why that is. I haven't particularly changed much about my tactical approach/ideas.
Overpowered. All the best/most effective tactics this year are 4-4-2
Overpowered, of course, duh, me being slow. But nah, formations aren't what are overpowering, its the tactics/team instructions, and its been said this year gegen style tends to be powerful. I have definitely looked to exploit the AI weaknesses and match engine with my tactics, taking advantage of long shots, the poor one on one finishing, set pieces, lazy wingers etc.

That being said, now I don't think I'm being paranoid but I sense some hostility, is this because I made a joke about you using a downloaded tactic?(which btw you mentioned you did). I noticed you also said the game is much easier but a while back in this thread you got into a tit for tat with someone saying the game wasn't easy.

They have overdone it to make sure players can find new top stars and to keep all the big teams competitive but you have new Ronaldo’s coming out of Brighton’s youth system and teams like Southampton are producing 4-5 Prem quality players a year, which just doesn’t happen.

The worst offender is Man City who produce world class players on a yearly basis and have U23 and U19 squads literally full of players ready to play at most sides.

It’s too powerful and means the game eventually just becomes random with so many teams having great sides.

I am going to start just a division or two down next time so I can enjoy those initial seasons a bit more.
:lol: Again very true.

Yeah starting from the bottom tends to garner the more enjoyable saves. Due to the financial discrepancy between prem and the rest it is very difficult to be promoted to the prem and win the league in the first year or two (not saying its impossible but its rare to see)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Overpowered, of course, duh, me being slow. But nah, formations aren't what are overpowering, its the tactics/team instructions, and its been said this year gegen style tends to be powerful. I have definitely looked to exploit the AI weaknesses and match engine with my tactics, taking advantage of long shots, the poor one on one finishing, set pieces, lazy wingers etc.

That being said, now I don't think I'm being paranoid but I sense some hostility, is this because I made a joke about you using a downloaded tactic?(which btw you mentioned you did). I noticed you also said the game is much easier but a while back in this thread you got into a tit for tat with someone saying the game wasn't easy.

:lol: Again very true.

Yeah starting from the bottom tends to garner the more enjoyable saves. Due to the financial discrepancy between prem and the rest it is very difficult to be promoted to the prem and win the league in the first year or two (not saying its impossible but its rare to see)
Nope :lol:

I totally forgot any of that happened.

It's well known that 4-4-2 is an OP formation this year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just had the GOAT season
Great unbeaten season, Man United scoring 103 goals and only finishing 3rd is crazy!

On a similar note, I always wanted a perfect 38 win season. I almost got it with Inter but drew to Juventus and fecking Benevento the bastards. What's the plans now? Continue dominating or moving away?

Maluco

Have decided to plump for Excelsior in Holland. Only one division to move up but a number of tiers challenge wise, and I remember really enjoying a save with Feyenoord back in the Roy Makaay days!

First level will be sorting out a pretty rotten squad and selling off the two best players at 32 and 31 respectively. Hopefully being able to get in 3-4 young players to build around and get promoted.

Next tier of the challenge will be to establish the team in the top league and break into that group of PSV/Feyenoord/AZ/Twente, which will be tough with their youth systems.

Next stage will be to topple Ajax and try and win a title.

Final stage being improved performance in Europe and improving the status of the league.

Seems like there is enough in there for a long term save. Team is pants though!

I also don’t know how promotion works if the “Jong” teams finish above you, since they can’t go up.

Berbaclass

Have decided to plump for Excelsior in Holland. Only one division to move up but a number of tiers challenge wise, and I remember really enjoying a save with Feyenoord back in the Roy Makaay days!

First level will be sorting out a pretty rotten squad and selling off the two best players at 32 and 31 respectively. Hopefully being able to get in 3-4 young players to build around and get promoted.

Next tier of the challenge will be to establish the team in the top league and break into that group of PSV/Feyenoord/AZ/Twente, which will be tough with their youth systems.

Next stage will be to topple Ajax and try and win a title.

Final stage being improved performance in Europe and improving the status of the league.

Seems like there is enough in there for a long term save. Team is pants though!

I also don’t know how promotion works if the “Jong” teams finish above you, since they can’t go up.
I always used to get Herve Matthys from there as a cheap ball playing defender. Is he still there?

Maluco

I always used to get Herve Matthys from there as a cheap ball playing defender. Is he still there?
He is yeah, decent enough attributes so will be selling the older CB and giving him a run in the team. Might go back to an old favourite for a partner for him.

Luigi Bruins is here, but at 32, am going to cash in and get the million for him. Only one other player worth over 1 mil!

Ludens the Red

Nope :lol:

I totally forgot any of that happened.

It's well known that 4-4-2 is an OP formation this year.
It's the tactics and team instructions, its well known, due to the match engine and player behaviours. It's a massive flaw with the game but it's just normal now. When a new FM comes out all you have to do is study the match engine and the way players behave in the first save you do and come up with a tactic that'll take advantage, formations don't really matter, once you start messing with 'defend' 'support' and 'attack' duties players move all over the place anyway and average positions change. If you try doing a 'smart' or real life replicating type tactic it fails and never does what you want it to because the engine just isn't smart enough. It's better to just use whatever formation you want and then go from there. Except ones that use a player in the number ten role, because that's basically a black hole position.

Great unbeaten season, Man United scoring 103 goals and only finishing 3rd is crazy!

On a similar note, I always wanted a perfect 38 win season. I almost got it with Inter but drew to Juventus and fecking Benevento the bastards. What's the plans now? Continue dominating or moving away?
Did you contemplate reloading :lol: ? Ill stay for one more year then leave, i'm starting to not recognise half the players i'm playing against, that's usually a sign its time to step away.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

It's the tactics and team instructions, its well known, due to the match engine and player behaviours. It's a massive flaw with the game but it's just normal now. When a new FM comes out all you have to do is study the match engine and the way players behave in the first save you do and come up with a tactic that'll take advantage, formations don't really matter, once you start messing with 'defend' 'support' and 'attack' duties players move all over the place anyway and average positions change. If you try doing a 'smart' or real life replicating type tactic it fails and never does what you want it to because the engine just isn't smart enough. It's better to just use whatever formation you want and then go from there. Except ones that use a player in the number ten role, because that's basically a black hole position.
I hate that this is a thing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just completed my second season as Arsenal manager, full season unbeaten with an FA cup win as well.
Poor show in the champions League though, knocked out in the second round by Real Madrid.
Any help on a decent striker for low cost to replace aubameyang?

Berbaclass

Has anyone that has played as United ever gotten any good returns out of Sanchez?

Whenever I've played as them I've just never used him or moved him on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has anyone that has played as United ever gotten any good returns out of Sanchez?

Whenever I've played as them I've just never used him or moved him on.
Sold him every time.
Usually to an Italian side for a low ball price.

Lay

Did you contemplate reloading :lol: ? Ill stay for one more year then leave, i'm starting to not recognise half the players i'm playing against, that's usually a sign its time to step away.
I actually did :lol: as the Juventus game was the 32nd game but that would feel terrible. I was more worried about the Benevento game as I've only beaten then twice in like 12 games. I don't really understand why I can't dominate them, they play a 3-5-2 with 3 centre mids who just seem to dictate every game they play against me, even at the San Siro.

NoLogo

What I really don't get about the AI their transfers is that for example City just sold Guerreiro on deadline day for €27M after buying him just two seasons ago for €48M. Now here is the kicker, he is their only left fullback who also started all 38 games for them last season and there is now of course no time to buy a new one.

Oh I also just realized they only have one natural right FB.

Ludens the Red

What I really don't get about the AI their transfers is that for example City just sold Guerreiro on deadline day for €27M after buying him just two seasons ago for €48M. Now here is the kicker, he is their only left fullback who also started all 38 games for them last season and there is now of course no time to buy a new one.

I think it’s down to the extreme nature of the ‘promises’ and when players request for a new contract. So in this fm if you sign a player and he does well he will 9/10 ask for a new contract within the first two years and if you say no they ask to leave.

When you offer promises, which I’m guessing the AI do a lot and then don’t fulfill them for example “win champions league” or “sign lots of attackers” players immediately ask for a transfer. It’s just far too sensitive.
I actually did :lol: as the Juventus game was the 32nd game but that would feel terrible. I was more worried about the Benevento game as I've only beaten then twice in like 12 games. I don't really understand why I can't dominate them, they play a 3-5-2 with 3 centre mids who just seem to dictate every game they play against me, even at the San Siro.
Tried just matching them up?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

They sold laporte to Chelsea in mine for 75m and then spent 50m on a far shitter CB. When the feck would that ever happen in real life?

Also anyone got kai havertz and managed to get the best out of him? He's been useless for me, tried him as both a 10 and a CM.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago but didn't actually get going with it. Just started unemployed with maximum quals/experience and simmed the 1st season, with the hope of landing a big club who've sacked their manager, for a fairly easy first go, as I've not played an FM in years.

Just my luck, Ole has been sacked. I thought I might be in with a sniff, but nah, the United faithful are gunning for Tony fecking Mowbray

Something fecky has been going on at Bayern too. They binned Flick after Christmas. Lewa, Neuer and Boateng all left in January, and they finished a few places above the relegation zone.

Rafa had the job for a few weeks, and was immediately sacked. Farke got the job and then got sacked:

Sounds wild, I'm throwing my hat into that ring.

sebsheep

This season has been weird so far, qualified top of my Euro Cup II and just knocked out CSKA Moscow in the 2nd round, which was apparently a game thing and we played at our stadium (?). Also into the Greek cup final again.
Then in the league we have just barely scraped into the championship group and the results and performances have been so up and down.

Got miffed off with my wide players and have switched to a 5-3-2 now. Seems to be working so far, that CSKA Moscow win was 3-0 post switch). Only problem is that I only have 2 strikers at the club.

NoLogo

This season has been weird so far, qualified top of my Euro Cup II and just knocked out CSKA Moscow in the 2nd round, which was apparently a game thing and we played at our stadium (?). Also into the Greek cup final again.
Then in the league we have just barely scraped into the championship group and the results and performances have been so up and down.

Got miffed off with my wide players and have switched to a 5-3-2 now. Seems to be working so far, that CSKA Moscow win was 3-0 post switch). Only problem is that I only have 2 strikers at the club.
I found that wide players only really work in a wide midfield position and not the AML/R position somehow. At least Sancho had been very average for 1 1/2 seasons until I switched him a bit deeper. The defensive contribution of these positions also seems to be much better, my AML/R players only followed the opposition FBs for like a half of the way back and then stopped, the WML/R players usually track back all the way which provides more defensive stability against teams with attacking fullbacks.

Lay

Watford and Empoli both qualified for the champions league in the same season. Both ended up in the same group with Real Madrid and Zenit. Watford finished second with a home win over Madrid and Empoli third. Watford will play Monaco in the next round.

Seeing new teams in the CL is always welcome. I recall Liverpool making 5 CL finals in a row on a previous save (lost 4 of them)

Dan_F

The work permit system seems really weird. I can see all the stipulations on the league rules screen and as far as I can see I have a player who should qualify on appeal. But he fails. Surely loaning him to an EU club won’t matter now, because of Brexit. He’s got 35 caps for Sudan at the age of 21 and is Premier League level of player.

Lay

The work permit system seems really weird. I can see all the stipulations on the league rules screen and as far as I can see I have a player who should qualify on appeal. But he fails. Surely loaning him to an EU club won’t matter now, because of Brexit. He’s got 35 caps for Sudan at the age of 21 and is Premier League level of player.
Don’t they have to play for a rank 75 or higher nation?

sebsheep

I found that wide players only really work in a wide midfield position and not the AML/R position somehow. At least Sancho had been very average for 1 1/2 seasons until I switched him a bit deeper. The defensive contribution of these positions also seems to be much better, my AML/R players only followed the opposition FBs for like a half of the way back and then stopped, the WML/R players usually track back all the way which provides more defensive stability against teams with attacking fullbacks.
They worked well last season and in my Euro Cup II games. Then they just went off the boil for a month or so.
The tracking back is a bit of an issue. Had a game where we went 2-0 down in 5 minutes with both goals coming from assists from their unmarked left back. First one my right winger just didn't track him and the second he actively ran away from him. I just started adding mark certain position - LB to his instructions and it worked better. When I did it in that game we ended up drawing 2-2 and their left back didn't have another attacking contribution.

sebsheep

Long shots can feck off btw :lol:
We drew Fernerbahce in the Euro Cup II QF. I expected to lose but the way it happened was a joke.
First game at their ground we lost 2-1, one of their goals was from a ridiculous OG by my left back. Does anyone know how to get a video replay from the game to here?
Second game we took a 2-0 lead into half time, second half is cruising along until bang 30 yard screamer from their CM, 6-7 minutes later he smashes another goal in from 20 yards. Out we go!

2 Greek teams in the semis though.

Last edited:

sebsheep

:lol: Lost 1-0 to AEK Athens in the Greek Cup final..... 30 yarder
Into the Euro Cup II again next year, board have just given me nearly €2.6m to spend and increased the wage budget from €80k to €125k a week. Big summer needed.

Last edited:

Lay

No idea. Never had the issue before. No way around it then?
I’m not completely sure as I never manage in England, but I think the nation has to be a certain ranking. Don’t think there’s a way around it. Because even duel nationality after brexit means little.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
They only went and did it :lol::lol:

Looks like he's gone full-Moyes in booting out the staff to bring his band of nobodies. This will be a right laugh.
What the feck? What had Mowbray done the season prior?

No Love

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting this over the past few days. First time in a long time I haven’t bought it at launch. Coming in here and seeing Tony Mowbray taking over United has decided it though. You just can’t beat that delicious, FM goodness.

I’ll be downloading it tomorrow.

Dan_F

I’m not completely sure as I never manage in England, but I think the nation has to be a certain ranking. Don’t think there’s a way around it. Because even duel nationality after brexit means little.
Seems really difficult to find information on it. Guess I’ll just have to loan him out for a year and sell.

Berbaclass

My team is making me furious. So incredibly inconsistent and spineless.

Played Dortmund at home in good form. Played my attacking tactic and we managed 1 shot in the whole match. 1 shot.

I almost resigned.