Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

NoLogo

Since I can never go too long without managing Manchester United I think I'll start my u18 United save game tonight. While I still relish the challenge of trying to win the CL with only homegrown players with Sporting, I need my United fix every now and then. :devil:

Oh yeah and winning the Portuguese league is simply too easy. I won it this season 32 points ahead of FC Porto which is pretty damn boring, if I only buy u18 players with United I hope the PL will stay more interesting for at least a couple of seasons.

Robbie Boy

The regens some of you seem to get are ridiculous. They're good in mine, but some of you seem to get peak Messi's and Maldini's coming through every season!

YAMS49

I've decided I'm going full on Atalanta mode with AFC Telford to get out of the Conf. Nth. I'll kill my wing backs by October if all goes to plan.

Dan_F

Since I can never go too long without managing Manchester United I think I'll start my u18 United save game tonight. While I still relish the challenge of trying to win the CL with only homegrown players with Sporting, I need my United fix every now and then. :devil:

Oh yeah and winning the Portuguese league is simply too easy. I won it this season 32 points ahead of FC Porto which is pretty damn boring, if I only buy u18 players with United I hope the PL will stay more interesting for at least a couple of seasons.
Did you manage to win the champions league with them? I guess the Portuguese league is still good enough to attract large crowds, and Portugal as a nation get good regens through.

I really tried to win the champions league with a Slovenian team last year, but closest I got was the semi’s with good draws until we got Barca.

After a couple years of Champions League money it’s easier to keep hold of your best players, but it’s almost impossible to increase the standard of the league to a point where the best will join.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Good start, sitting nicely in the playoff positions. Bit surprised at that as we definitley have the worst squad plus at first everyone hated me. Got a complaint we didn't have enough strikers and my team talks were causing weird reactions. Think my teamtalks weren't that well received at the start of the previous save too, and maybe it takes a little time for players to buy in to what you're saying but this was something else. Loads of red/angry reactions for saying nice and encouraging things. Anyway, starting to win them round a bit there as well but still not great, we've had 14 games in total including the continental stuff.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Did you manage to win the champions league with them? I guess the Portuguese league is still good enough to attract large crowds, and Portugal as a nation get good regens through.

I really tried to win the champions league with a Slovenian team last year, but closest I got was the semi’s with good draws until we got Barca.

After a couple years of Champions League money it’s easier to keep hold of your best players, but it’s almost impossible to increase the standard of the league to a point where the best will join.
Not yet. I'm going into my third season with them, but the squad overall is still very average if you compare it to some top teams out there. We didn't get beaten too badly by City in the quarter-final, so I think I'm not miles off but for me the motivation problem comes more or less from the league being so weak, the squad I have right now easily wins the league already despite not being very good. I think I could get there eventually of winning the league, I have like 4-5 real gems coming through, and they might be enough to push me over the edge if I can keep them for a couple of years, but my motivation isn't too great if winning the league is essentially a complete walk in the park.

YAMS49

Good start, sitting nicely in the playoff positions. Bit surprised at that as we definitley have the worst squad plus at first everyone hated me. Got a complaint we didn't have enough strikers and my team talks were causing weird reactions. Think my teamtalks weren't that well received at the start of the previous save too, and maybe it takes a little time for players to buy in to what you're saying but this was something else. Loads of red/angry reactions for saying nice and encouraging things. Anyway, starting to win them round a bit there as well but still not great, we've had 14 games in total including the continental stuff.
Reaction to team talks could well be reputation related. If you have a lower than desired rep or badges for the level you are at then it takes longer to win your players over. Could also been the bedding in period as well as you say.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Playing an online game of this with my mate. He was Swansea, me Cardiff. 10 games to go I was sitting in 5th, him 6th and palace offered me the job. They were nailed on for relegation but still had their entire team. Cardiff had been slipping a bit so I took the plunge.

I got relegated and my mate beat Cardiff in the playoff final:lol:

it’s such a fun game

Ludens the Red

How’s the MLS salary issue been with the new patch. I really wanna do a MLS save but it’s always had bad feedback .

Chipper

Adulterer.
How’s the MLS salary issue been with the new patch. I really wanna do a MLS save but it’s always had bad feedback .
Not sure I can really help you there, I haven't run into any issues but then my save is really really stupid. Didn't even know there was issues.

Don't know if you caught it but I made it a rule that all my players must have 5 vowels or more in their name on the back of their shirt. It's just for the challenge. As I was doing that I didn't have much choice of the players I could sign that would fit that criteria and a lot of them aren't very good. Loads just seemed grateful during contract negotiations and didn't want much money. As a result I'm comfortably under salary cap and didn't notice any problems.

The biggest problem I had, and not a game issue, just a squad management one was that you're only allowed so many players on senior minimum salary contracts, and they count as "off budget" so don't go towards the salary cap. A lot of my players, because of those low expectations just wanted that so I had to make sure I didn't have too many of them. I'm maxed out on 4 out of 4 home-grown off-budget players.

Didn't have to do any of the paying down player's contracts with general allocation money to help balance the books and I have no designated players on big money so if the issues impact those I got away with it.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Random thought: What would playing with no defenders do?

I'm currently playing strikerless and the shadow strikers still score plenty, still get forward and get in behind. High pressing tactics are still very common, and while it can be risky, people still play offside traps. Just thinking if you squeezed the whole team between the DM and AM lines it should in theory condense everything together, possibly making it hard to play through. You should be able press like maniacs and if you play tiki taka you'd have plenty of short passing options of your own. Of course you'd be hugely vulnerable to balls over the top, but perhaps your press could prevent that ball being played too often?

You just wouldn't try it in the real world, well maybe Biesla would but in-game who knows how it might look? Pick the right roles/instructions for the players in the DM line and maybe some magic would happen?

Typing this out to try help myself remember it for the future. Might experiment with it one day.

Just advancing that though a little, goalie would be sweeper keeper on attack, great at one on ones, high rushing out, and unusually would look at pace and acceleration stats. Never looked for 'keepers who could sprint.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Random thought: What would playing with no defenders do?

I'm currently playing strikerless and the shadow strikers still score plenty, still get forward and get in behind. High pressing tactics are still very common, and while it can be risky, people still play offside traps. Just thinking if you squeezed the whole team between the DM and AM lines it should in theory condense everything together, possibly making it hard to play through. You should be able press like maniacs and if you play tiki taka you'd have plenty of short passing options of your own. Of course you'd be hugely vulnerable to balls over the top, but perhaps your press could prevent that ball being played too often?

You just wouldn't try it in the real world, well maybe Biesla would but in-game who knows how it might look? Pick the right roles/instructions for the players in the DM line and maybe some magic would happen?

Typing this out to try help myself remember it for the future. Might experiment with it one day.

Just advancing that though a little, goalie would be sweeper keeper on attack, great at one on ones, high rushing out, and unusually would look at pace and acceleration stats. Never looked for 'keepers who could sprint.
I’ve seen BTN do it before with some success.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I’ve seen BTN do it before with some success.
Is that Bust The Net? Had to Google it.

Tried it a little after posting that and it was a bit of a disaster but there's so many ways of setting it up I could try.

Main problem was the DM's simply not dropping back far enough in defensive situations. Strikerless formations still have the AMs going forward as though they were strikers at times so was hoping for a way for DMs to drop defensively in the opposite direction like they were CBs.

I didn't try man marking which could be a way to force them into it. Instead they'd stand 10-15 yards inside the opposing half and their strikers were still standing on the half way line knowing they couldn't be offside in their own half for through balls.

Gave me a new xG perspective though - I don't think it counts defender position as these one on ones the opponents were creating were getting some lowish xG to what I'd thought, finishing games with 2-3 but always actually scoring 5-6.

The other main thing I learned was that wingbacks in the DM line like to actually sit deeper than central players on the DM line. Had some situations where the wing backs were the ones playing guys onside. Well at least they were with the specific roles/instructions I had on. I thought they'd play higher not lower which was a discovery.

Berbaclass

Tried it a little after posting that and it was a bit of a disaster but there's so many ways of setting it up I could try.

Main problem was the DM's simply not dropping back far enough in defensive situations. Strikerless formations still have the AMs going forward as though they were strikers at times so was hoping for a way for DMs to drop defensively in the opposite direction like they were CBs.

I didn't try man marking which could be a way to force them into it. Instead they'd stand 10-15 yards inside the opposing half and their strikers were still standing on the half way line knowing they couldn't be offside in their own half for through balls.

Gave me a new xG perspective though - I don't think it counts defender position as these one on ones the opponents were creating were getting some lowish xG to what I'd thought, finishing games with 2-3 but always actually scoring 5-6.

The other main thing I learned was that wingbacks in the DM line like to actually sit deeper than central players on the DM line. Had some situations where the wing backs were the ones playing guys onside. Well at least they were with the specific roles/instructions I had on. I thought they'd play higher not lower which was a discovery.
Yeah Bust The Net is pretty good with tactics.

I had a little go myself and I think I could make a successful tactic out of it.

The one thing that you need to find a way to stop is counter-attacks from long balls over the top, I played with 3 HB's and two Wing backs. Everyone pushed up as high as possible. I think it could be quite successful against teams with a slowish striker.

I played a match against Fulham and they played 4-3-3 with the two wingers and a lone ST. Mitrovic on more than one occasion got the ball on the halfway line and was able to run into space behind as all my players were forward. I used United so I had Tuanzebe and McTominay on either side of Matic. Fulham also played Musa as an IF on the left and I told Axel to man-mark him which was perfect as he was constantly running right into Musa's path and quickly dispossessed him. We ended up going to pens and losing but I'm fairly confident that given proper pre-season training it could be pretty effective.

I played an interesting game against WBA the match after too. They played 4-1-4-1 with Karlan Grant up top who has much more pace and mobility than someone like Mitro. I swapped out Matic for Bailly and told him to man-mark him and also to really press Ajayi at the back too as he was capable of playing balls over the top towards Grant to run on to. Bailly got caught out (unsurprising with his low concentration) and it finished 1-1.

I definitely think there is something there though. I might have a proper go later because I feel it will wreck my current save :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I tried it in older versions, after few seasons I had very strong team so thought why not. Defensive players were not holding the positions, played anchor man, still he was stepping up which made is near impossible to implement that.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I was nearly 3 seasons in and the save crashed. I couldn't get past a game against Notts County.

So after being initially annoyed af, I thought I'd start fresh. Picked Weymouth again and it's going so very well.

First season I finished 2nd, I just couldn't chase down Torquay. In the play off semi final I lost all of my loan players. I took the lead twice but ultimately lost 3-2 aet to Hartlepool.

I replaced the loaness and brought in some youth cover. I spent the season spending 8k a week on wages, my budget was 12k a week. And I finished....2nd again. I pushed them all the way and if I'd won on the final day we'd have been champions. As it is though, we only drew 1-1 at Dover and ended up with Southend winning the title with 100 points, I finished 2nd on 99.

Play off semi final drew us against bitter and hated rivals Y**vil which we subsequently won 4-0. Take that, filfth. The final at Wembley was between us and Chesterfield. Our longest serving player Jake Mccarthy who has been with the club since the southern league, scores the only goal of the game and we are up!

Then the board immediately announced stadium improvement plans....and when it was complete reduced my capacity by 850?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Drunken FM on a Friday night during lockdown thoughts.

I don't know, always thought I was rubbish at making my own tactics so always relied on downloaded ones. Sort of thinking the ones I'm using are just too overpowered right now. Was using something called phoenix v3 by Magician in my Albion Rovers save, now onto v4.0 since the last patch. I know for a fact my squad, due to me putting silly rules in place like they all must have 5 vowels or more on the back of their shirt is nowhere near what it could be yet we're top of the Eastern Conference and the Supporters Shield in MLS.

I've recently been chosen to coach the MLS all stars side, presumably because I'm top of everything. Feel a bit guilty because according to genie scout we have the worst team out of all 27 in the league. I didn't use it to recruit this time, but just to check out squad strength. Crisis of confidence moment. This was only supposed to be a one season save because the restrictions I put in place were not very enjoyable when it came to searching for and scouting players. It took a ridiculous amount of admin work or "busy work" by me and wasn't a lot of fun but now that I see I might actually be in a position to win it all I don't know what to do.

The tactics are too strong. How can I forget them? The save isn't really fun yet I'm winning! What's going on? I've ramped everything up a bit in the melodramatic stakes here because of the drink but what I say still is generally true. Haha, I don't know what to do.

After research I know Philly won the supporters shield in the abandoned 2020 season but I've literally made them a lot worse yet here we are.

Chipper

Adulterer.
We're also really ugly. If I get my best XI out there we usually win but if having (or choosing) to play the rotated squad due to tiredness or injury who are rather poor we still get 0-0 or 1-1 scores much of the time. The defensive system is exceptionally solid.

xG goals conceded:

Dan_F

Signed one of the best young midfield talents in my league. I have 3 starters who are leading players for the quality of league; the new player and two other squad options are all three star players.

Three weeks after signing he’s not happy because I didn’t strengthen midfield (my fault as I didn’t realise I’d promised it). You were the signing that strengthened it you idiot.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Signed one of the best young midfield talents in my league. I have 3 starters who are leading players for the quality of league; the new player and two other squad options are all three star players.

Three weeks after signing he’s not happy because I didn’t strengthen midfield (my fault as I didn’t realise I’d promised it). You were the signing that strengthened it you idiot.
:lol: Yeah, I often think the same as I'm removing that clause from negotiations.

The best one would be a goalie asking to improve goalies then getting mad you didn't sign someone who kept him out of the team. Not seen it yet and don't know if possible, I hope it is just for the laugh.

Dan_F

:lol: Yeah, I often think the same as I'm removing that clause from negotiations.

The best one would be a goalie asking to improve goalies then getting mad you didn't sign someone who kept him out of the team. Not seen it yet and don't know if possible, I hope it is just for the laugh.
It wouldn’t surprise me. I also had a 17 year old get mad at me for not loaning him out, even though I offered him out for free and no one wanted him. He eventually backed down, but it seems like the interactions like this are worse than ever.

cj_sparky

Journo: "Do you feel you'll have the upper hand over xxxxxx xxxxxx when it comes to mind games now?"

Me: "I don't think it matters. Mind games have no real effect."

Headline in messages says, I think the other manager has the upper hand in mind games :nono:

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
My games continually crash! 2 out of 2 now. The first one I was in the third season and I loaded my save, got to a game with Notts County and it kicked me out of the game and a sports interactive box pops up saying the games crashed and asking to send crash info.

I'm again in my third season, this time in league 2 and low and behold at around the same time, go to submit my team to play Plymouth, crash.

Any ideas?

Berbaclass

My games continually crash! 2 out of 2 now. The first one I was in the third season and I loaded my save, got to a game with Notts County and it kicked me out of the game and a sports interactive box pops up saying the games crashed and asking to send crash info.

I'm again in my third season, this time in league 2 and low and behold at around the same time, go to submit my team to play Plymouth, crash.

Any ideas?
Using any mods?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Mine crashes too from time to time. It happens after I've had the game running non-stop for at least few days but more like a week or more. Was the same for me in FM 20.

I auto-save every two weeks (in-game time) and put up with it but would obviously prefer it not to happen at all. Might have to repeat 3 or 4 matches, none if I'm lucky depending on exactly when it does it.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Mine crashes too from time to time. It happens after I've had the game running non-stop for at least few days but more like a week or more. Was the same for me in FM 20.

I auto-save every two weeks (in-game time) and put up with it but would obviously prefer it not to happen at all. Might have to repeat 3 or 4 matches, none if I'm lucky depending on exactly when it does it.
Ah I haven't tried going back to an earlier point. I auto save every week (game time) too. I'll give that a go.

This happened after I updated and shut down my laptop. When I started it again it was finishing my set up. It is a new laptop but I've had it 3 weeks now. Anyway, when I loaded the game there was no game in the 'most recent' section. So I loaded it from the 'load game' menu instead.

Berbaclass

Only a graphics pack and real name fix for juve
Hmm, that's interesting. I don't think I've had one crash this year in nearly 800 hours of gameplay.

Not too sure what to suggest though. I think if it was me I'd maybe post my save file on the SI forums to see if it's a bug or something.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why do players want the coaching staff strengthened when signing, when they’re usually the best anyway?

NoLogo

Why do players want the coaching staff strengthened when signing, when they’re usually the best anyway?
Have you checked the workload of your coaches? I think players sometimes start to ask for better coaching if there is a category that has a heavy workload. At least I think that was, what caused the problem for me once.