Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bit of a reality check, was almost thinking I could win the league at the last update:

Rangers have Jesse Lingard, Joelinton and Hamza Choudhury as names I recognise, Celtic Alfie Mawson. Way way above the standard of players I have. We just agreed to take Airdrie's goalie on a free from Scottish League 1 when his contract expires and he wants to be backup on £475 a week but little does he know he's good enough to be first choice. Huge gulf in standards between us and the Old Firm.

Still, delighted with the way it's going, should really finish 4th at worst at this point.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Bit of a reality check, was almost thinking I could win the league at the last update:

Rangers have Jesse Lingard, Joelinton and Hamza Choudhury as names I recognise, Celtic Alfie Mawson. Way way above the standard of players I have. We just agreed to take Airdrie's goalie on a free from Scottish League 1 when his contract expires and he wants to be backup on £475 a week but little does he know he's good enough to be first choice. Huge gulf in standards between us and the Old Firm.

Still, delighted with the way it's going, should really finish 4th at worst at this point.
You'll be grand when you've got that European money rolling in every year. Becomes easy enough once you start getting money like that.

Chipper

Adulterer.
You'll be grand when you've got that European money rolling in every year. Becomes easy enough once you start getting money like that.
Hope so! Really want to hunt the top 2 down eventually.

It would be easier if I wasn't restricting myself when it comes to rules I'm playing by. I've mentioned them before, I'm doing free transfers only, UK and Irish nationalities only (doesn't matter if they prefer to represent another country as long as they have the passport) for the challenge of it.

The extra money will certainly help to pour into wages. Just taking players on a free I think we can get there in the end, I often look at players I know we can't currently get when there are 6 months remaining on their contract, or some who are free agents altogether in the summer. There's enough out there to be able to win this league if only I had the money to pay them and rep to lure them.

Should be building a new stadium soon, don't know how that might affect finances, hopefully not too badly. No firm plans but the board said they were looking into it ahead of this current season. Sign for free - sell off after a season or two - change budgets putting transfer kitty into wages is something that should help the next few seasons as the money we'll be able to command for our players if selling them is about to rapidly increase.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Basically you broke the promise & can't fulfill it now as there is no higher division. It's a flawed system. The player will be unhappy now no matter what unless you give him significant game time to improve his reputation opinion of you. When I sign players I tried to avoid promises as much as possible. I'd rather pay them or their agent more in signing fees than any promises.
Thanks for this, he ended up dropping the promise just like you said, after some more playing time. It wasn't designed, just coincidence that we had some injuries, he got game time and then the January window ended. He said no club was interested in him so he was happy to stay now after the window closed. Took 4 windows to get there.

I'm on my 20 save more than 21 at the moment but from what I can recall SI wanted to remove Calm as an option in 21 as it was so spamable. Hands on hips is an aggressive/challenging talk. No gesture would be my main go to as I find the new system flawed. I would only go aggressive/shake fists if looking to provoke a reaction at half time. All these are really is morale modifiers. Especially the post game one.
And thanks for that too! I used to have this thing, and I don't know if it worked where pre-match I'd give the whole team a calm talk then give assertive ones to groups of players. Half time would be assertive overall (occasional angry if losing) followed by passionate. Back to calm post-match most of the time.

It didn't seem to harm my results but like I said don't know if it improved them. Was trying to replicate that for the most part and have been going with No Gesture mostly to try and copy calm.

Would also spam "demand more" every 10 minutes during matches in FM20, that is something I've done differently in 21, cut right back on shouts altogether. Players don't seem to take kindly to it with sad or angry emojis when I become demanding.

YAMS49

Thanks for this, he ended up dropping the promise just like you said, after some more playing time. It wasn't designed, just coincidence that we had some injuries, he got game time and then the January window ended. He said no club was interested in him so he was happy to stay now after the window closed. Took 4 windows to get there.
The whole game works on background reputation ratings. Piss a player off & the rating drops and so on....

And thanks for that too! I used to have this thing, and I don't know if it worked where pre-match I'd give the whole team a calm talk then give assertive ones to groups of players. Half time would be assertive overall (occasional angry if losing) followed by passionate. Back to calm post-match most of the time.

It didn't seem to harm my results but like I said don't know if it improved them. Was trying to replicate that for the most part and have been going with No Gesture mostly to try and copy calm.

Would also spam "demand more" every 10 minutes during matches in FM20, that is something I've done differently in 21, cut right back on shouts altogether. Players don't seem to take kindly to it with sad or angry emojis when I become demanding.
My rule for FM 12-20 was calm pre game, inspire HT & build up/praise at FT. Now calm has gone for 21 it's proven mildly more interesting.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Midway through the League 1 season. Sat in 2nd place currently. Didn't expect that at all but we've gone on a brilliant run of games in the last 15 or so and have great momentum. Helps that I have two fantastic wingers that are Championship level but I managed to get on loan here. One of them is a regen but the other is Musialowski from Liverpool - very good at this level. I was quite happy with a midtable finish this season but now I'm targeting the playoffs.

This is only my 2nd save on this version of FM but in both versions Liverpool have won the CL 3 years in a row. That's just bad programming.

For some reason on this save Solanke has become one of the best strikers in the PL :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Interesting player I noticed, surprised he's scored so many. He's quick, very quick, but then there's some really poor stats too.

Might expect him to miss loads of chances with 7 for finishing but no, comfortably ahead of his XG.

Edit: 93% pass completion percentage in the league with a 3 for passing!

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Interesting player I noticed, surprised he's scored so many. He's quick, very quick, but then there's some really poor stats too.

Might expect him to miss loads of chances with 7 for finishing but no, comfortably ahead of his XG.

Quite interesting that. Maybe it’s a reflection on the SPL more than anything :lol:

K Stand Knut

I’ve started my usual United save as my first attempt on this version and amazingly the same things are happening.

only bought Pau Torres who has been brilliant for me.

lost one game in the league to the end of middle of Feb but sit in 4th because I’ve drawn 9 games.

Will see this season and probably next out before I start something more challenging

@Chipper is inspiring me

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I was looking at signing him this year as a backup player. His stats look great and rubbish at the same time but he seems to be decently rated. I had a lad like him in my early days. Terrible stats but still scored 20-30 goals a season.

pascell

Another thing you can do @Chipper is include contract extensions that can be triggered by the club at any time. At least that was a thing in 20, I haven't got 21 so I'm not sure if it's changed.

Ludens the Red

I think I have to offload McTomminey. Pre-Season meeting goes like this.

Me: Alright well done last season on winning the league, let's do it again this year.
McTom: Are you crazy? That's way too ambitious, how do you expect us to do that. We have no chance with scrubs like Haaland and Mbappé in attack.
Me: -_- Alright, let's move on then. After we won the CL last year I think we should definitely aim to get to the final again.
Team: What? Only the Final, that's way to unambitious we should aim higher.
Me: Alright let's win it then, I like a bit of ambition.
Team: Well we are not sure about that, but okay.
Me: Oo
Me: Alright let's move on then, we won the FA-Cup last time and we should aim to defend it again this year.
McTom: Whaaaaaaaat???? Are you crazy? How in the hell are we supposed to do that? We only have the most expensive squad in the world, there is no way we could even dream of defending the FA-Cup? *breaks down sobbing* We are doomed, doooooooomed.
Me: Erm, yeah, well, that was the overall reaction I was looking for but I totally respect everyones feelings and stuff. *quitely crosses out McTom from the team sheet*

:houllier:
:lol:

Castia

I’m in like 2024 on my Brighton save and came up against Ajax in the CL their 2 man midfield consisted of Fred and McTominay, made me chuckle theres no separating McFred!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Finished 3rd, very happy with that:

Board gave us 28k a week for next season and 1.5m for transfers. Switched it all into wages and it almost doubles the allowable wage bill, up to 57k. Now to find some freebies.

New stadium announced too, current one only has 1572 capacity.

Expectations are rock bottom for next season, they want us to fight bravely against relegation and reach the Europa League Third Qualifying round which is what we've already qualified for. Can't really fail.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just had my first very encouraging performance against a top class team in the Fa Cup 5th Round. We lost 4-2 but had an xG of 2.66 compared to their 1.54. It was against a United side that included Greenwood, Rashford, Fernandes, Pogba, Odegaard, De Jong, AWB, Williams and Henderson so I am v. proud of my team right now!

To put it into perspective, Greenwoods wage (275k per week) is 5.5 times more expensive than my whole squads weekly wage. :D

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished 3rd, very happy with that:

Board gave us 28k a week for next season and 1.5m for transfers. Switched it all into wages and it almost doubles the allowable wage bill, up to 57k. Now to find some freebies.

New stadium announced too, current one only has 1572 capacity.

Expectations are rock bottom for next season, they want us to fight bravely against relegation and reach the Europa League Third Qualifying round which is what we've already qualified for. Can't really fail.
How much does that set your finances back?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

My style of aggressive direct wing play is too dominant in the lower leagues. There is the odd game we get beat 3 or 4 to nothing but aside from that we are able to sweep most teams away with ease. Joe Hardy (Starts with Liverpool) is a tank in League 2 and 1. Scored 35 goals in total for me in League 2 and now 34 goals in League 1. Thrives off balls over the top.

Budget is 1m and 80k per week for the Championship. Currently working on around 45k including loan wages so that will be a very welcome kitty.

We are also getting a little upgrade stadium wise. Not a new one but a welcome expansion as we were the smallest in League 1. We will still be the smallest in the Championship by about 2k with this upgrade but at least it helps future profits for the time being!

NoLogo

In other news I'm an idiot, I arranged a testimonial for Lingard but he moved before the game to Napoli on loan with the option to buy which wouldn't be a problem because usually the player that the testimonial is for will be back at your club for the game, but I move all my loaned out players to the reserve so they don't irritated my in the first team selection process, well of course I forgot to move him into the team for the game and we played his own testimonial without him. :lol:

Water Melon

In other news I'm an idiot, I arranged a testimonial for Lingard but he moved before the game to Napoli on loan with the option to buy which wouldn't be a problem because usually the player that the testimonial is for will be back at your club for the game, but I move all my loaned out players to the reserve so they don't irritated my in the first team selection process, well of course I forgot to move him into the team for the game and we played his own testimonial without him. :lol:
:lol: made my evening, thank you!

Chipper

Adulterer.
How much does that set your finances back?
I don't know, I didn't advance the game yet so all was showing was our balance of around 2.5m and I can't seem to see the repayment terms of the loan. I'm sure they'll pop up when I do move the game on.

Suppose I really care about is how much I get:
Last season we were given around 18k a week wage budget and 150k transfers. I put the transfer money into wages to make it 21k. Sold a player for 140k and put that money into wages too to reach 22k.

This season was 28k/1.5m. Again all into wages for 57k a week. I'm pleased with that extra money I have and see it as a big rise.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Quite interesting that. Maybe it’s a reflection on the SPL more than anything :lol:
Almost typed that myself but thought better of it. :lol:

I was looking at signing him this year as a backup player. His stats look great and rubbish at the same time but he seems to be decently rated. I had a lad like him in my early days. Terrible stats but still scored 20-30 goals a season.
Suppose it's a bit of a lesson. Honestly wouldn't look at a forward with 7 for finishing anywhere outside of Conference North/South level or the same kind of standard. Shows what I know!

In key stats I usually think in terms of:
13 - PL
12 - Championship
11 - League One
down to 8 in the conference North/South. Can be a little flexible, and I'd forgive his 7 for finishing at Conference North/South because of his pace but probably not even for Conference National. Here he is doing well in the SPL which is certainly better than that.

Berbaclass

Finishing is good but I think the mental attributes and or having good traits are more important.

My Colombian striker scored ~40 goals and took me to a CL win with 11 finishing. He tore the best teams in Europe apart.

I value concentration and decisions a lot in strikers.

AFC NimbleThumb

Finishing is good but I think the mental attributes and or having good traits are more important.

My Colombian striker scored ~40 goals and took me to a CL win with 11 finishing. He tore the best teams in Europe apart.

I’m waiting for the update to arrive, I had a game on the go a few weeks back but deleted it after about 7 seasons when Leeds came back to win a game 3-2 with 3 shots on target goals in the 86th & 92nd minute.

I’m getting sick to death of conceding to the computers first shot on target, happens at 0-0 or if I’m 4-0 up their conversion rate is ridiculous.

I’ll buy a striker based on those values & see how it goes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Game has finally started to get challenging now in the Championship. Huge gulf in class between most of my players (Current ability is mainly League 1 - Champ but their potential is mostly Champ - Prem) and the rest of the league in all areas - mainly financial. Every single game i go into as the underdog and it's a lot more fun and having to tweak more to get a win. I am currently in 9th after 10 games. Projected to be relegated so a mid table finish would be a good first year in the Champ. Solidify finances a bit and have my players increase in their ability and we go again next season. Assuming all goes well!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Spent absolutely ages overhauling the squad, hopefully we can get closer to Celtic and Rangers this time.

Not that these players mean anything to people, here's the new starting XI:

NoLogo

Agreed. I think good mental attributes are by far the most important part in FM. Whenever I search for newgens I set thresholds for certain mental attributes that even the youngsters need to have or I won't even look at them twice physical and technical attributes also seem to develop at a better rate than mental attributes, so it's important that they are fairly high from the start.

Berbaclass

Agreed. I think good mental attributes are by far the most important part in FM. Whenever I search for newgens I set thresholds for certain mental attributes that even the youngsters need to have or I won't even look at them twice physical and technical attributes also seem to develop at a better rate than mental attributes, so it's important that they are fairly high from the start.
I tend to do that but depending on how old they are and how close they are I will allow for growth.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didn't know you couldn't register free agents outside of the window in the SPL, pretty sure you could in the lower leagues. Would see something about "unrestricted transfers" on my continue game/calendar screen some time in November I think and I believe you could until then. Same again up until about March after the January window. I don't know, I might even be mistaken about that.

Anyway, got 2 players for each position, nobody any good at all in the reserves and fixture congestion because of Europa League. Just had one of my 2 DMs go down injured for 4 months in mid-October so brought in a veteran player as an extra body only to find I can't register him until January. We've got the Betfred Cup semi final I think he can play in but that's going to be it this side of the new year.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Any reason you don't just use the filter to hide players who aren't at your club?

NoLogo

Any reason you don't just use the filter to hide players who aren't at your club?
Main reason is that I don't like how it collapses unused spaces on your bench. I'm not really sure though why I started moving them out of the first team anymore, I just remember that I don't like using the that filter because it does hide unused spots and it always felt like this was a bit buggy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Gutted at the moment. Sitting in 9th and still well in with a chance of a playoff place this season. Just finished the January transfer window and the chairman has broken my heart. I fended off Norwich all window as they persistently chased one of my CBs (A young lad I signed from Chelsea when in League 2 with the potential to be a Prem player). He's developed into a very good defender and he's still only 20 so would really have liked to keep hold of him as he wasn't foreign either. They bid 7m up front rising to 12m with add-ons and the chairman accepted it. Completely understand as that's more money than we have ever seen and will help develop the club loads but as the deal was done at the very end of deadline day I wasn't able to do anything with the 4m they put in my bank.

Thankfully earlier in the window I managed to pick up this little gem from Celtic for only 1m and he's instantly my best player at 17 :lol:

Berbaclass

Gutted at the moment. Sitting in 9th and still well in with a chance of a playoff place this season. Just finished the January transfer window and the chairman has broken my heart. I fended off Norwich all window as they persistently chased one of my CBs (A young lad I signed from Chelsea when in League 2 with the potential to be a Prem player). He's developed into a very good defender and he's still only 20 so would really have liked to keep hold of him as he wasn't foreign either. They bid 7m up front rising to 12m with add-ons and the chairman accepted it. Completely understand as that's more money than we have ever seen and will help develop the club loads but as the deal was done at the very end of deadline day I wasn't able to do anything with the 4m they put in my bank.

Thankfully earlier in the window I managed to pick up this little gem from Celtic for only 1m and he's instantly my best player at 17 :lol:

Get on that work rate. I very rarely sign anyone that's less than 14/15.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Get on that work rate. I very rarely sign anyone that's less than 14/15.
Can't be too picky about that considering my rep and wage budget currently. It's hard enough to get players to join me as it is, have to try and develop traits like that if a player is as good as this guy is in comparison to the other players I could buy!

Berbaclass

Can't be too picky about that considering my rep and wage budget currently. It's hard enough to get players to join me as it is, have to try and develop traits like that if a player is as good as this guy is in comparison to the other players I could buy!
That’s cool man, it just really puts me off a player when I see a relatively low work rate/determination combo.

That’s the minimum I set for all of my players.

Budget wise a million is plenty and you can easily get players for that or less

I have 4/5 key attributes that I look for in every player. Work rate, determination, natural fitness and decisions.

Berbaclass

Sold my Colombian striker for £110 MIllion and replaced him with a better player for £4 Million. Would have cost me nothing as I had a pre-contract agreed with his deal expiring but I paid the 4 million to have him in January. Nice trade!

Vision is a little downgrade and he's not either footed but as an AF I think Hauser just edges him in the key stats.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just played Lazio away in the Europa League group stage, it was a 1-1 draw at our place in the first match and their manager was talking crap ahead of the second game. It's Jorge Jesus and he was saying they've had a stroke of good fortune to be drrawn against inferior opposition, and they might rotate the squad.

Easily the best win so far in this save and afterwards he said we were lucky. :lol:

Burnley at home in the last match:

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Won the CL in 25/26 with Forrest, finished 4th. Had to sell Esposito to Barca at the end of the season though. Getting to the end of 26/27 though and I was in a tight title challenge with United, but then I had an injury crisis so now I'll probably struggle to stay 2nd. Agreed a deal to sign Greenwood at the end of the season for 180m though. Had a 340m budget after selling Stengs and Esposito and not really replacing them with much spending. Probably will need that world class figure up top to get consistency to win the title. Definitely need some depth though.