Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
After the aforementioned miracle in Rotterdam Ahmedhodzic went down for 11 months with an ACL and my only other senior CB was filling in at RB after my top 2 choices there went down with long term injuries. In stepped the wonderkid CB from Newcastle and he hasn't left the starting lineup since and is one of the best CB newgens I have seen. The other stars of my current team are a 16yo academy newgen who is just amazing and a kid I found by sheer stupidity. @Berbaclass's posts intrigued me, so I loaded the Austrian league to see how Vienna would do on their own. Being an idiot I thought he had managed AKA Rapid Vienna so I took a look all the way down to their youth team and found Yusuf Demir. The kid is insane and is likely going to win the Ballon d'Or this season or next. Not sure if it was a fluke random attribute generation or if he is really this good.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
After the aforementioned miracle in Rotterdam Ahmedhodzic went down for 11 months with an ACL and my only other senior CB was filling in at RB after my top 2 choices there went down with long term injuries. In stepped the wonderkid CB from Newcastle and he hasn't left the starting lineup since and is one of the best CB newgens I have seen. The other stars of my current team are a 16yo academy newgen who is just amazing and a kid I found by sheer stupidity. @Berbaclass's posts intrigued me, so I loaded the Austrian league to see how Vienna would do on their own. Being an idiot I thought he had managed AKA Rapid Vienna so I took a look all the way down to their youth team and found Yusuf Demir. The kid is insane and is likely going to win the Ballon d'Or this season or next. Not sure if it was a fluke random attribute generation or if he is really this good.

Yeah, Demir is one of the best players in the game this year IMO. Always goes to Juve or Dortmund in my experience. I signed him for £54 Million a few years back on my save cause he's obviously great and was good for my home-grown quota too.

Rapid are the mortal enemy though :nono:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, Demir is one of the best players in the game this year IMO. Always goes to Juve or Dortmund in my experience. I signed him for £54 Million a few years back on my save cause he's obviously great and was good for my home-grown quota too.

Rapid are the mortal enemy though :nono:
:lol: ....err.....oops?

I got him for 2.5 million, a bunch of performance clauses, and a 40% sell on clause in the first transfer window. I think I am going to regret that as the big boys are already sniffing. I usually don't care as I rarely play more than 3-4 season before I get bored, but I am absolutely loving this save so I might have a problem. If I can hold on 2 more seasons I should be good as the upgraded youth set up and completely revamped coaching should start delivering.

I'm playing him as an Attacking Right IW, and being left footed and trained to cut in and shoot? My word. Averaging a goal a game. He absolutely destroyed Madrid in the CL final with a brace and an assist.

Berbaclass

:lol: ....err.....oops?

I got him for 2.5 million, a bunch of performance clauses, and a 40% sell on clause in the first transfer window. I think I am going to regret that as the big boys are already sniffing. I usually don't care as I rarely play more than 3-4 season before I get bored, but I am absolutely loving this save so I might have a problem. If I can hold on 2 more seasons I should be good as the upgraded youth set up and completely revamped coaching should start delivering.

I'm playing him as an Attacking Right IW, and being left footed and trained to cut in and shoot? My word. Averaging a goal a game. He absolutely destroyed Madrid in the CL final with a brace and an assist.
Yeah, that's a pretty superb deal. You can usually only get him for his £30 million release clause (Could also be like 19 Million can't remember that far back now haha at the beginning of the game.

This is the only save I've actually managed him and he's actually been a little underwhelming so far for me. Great rotation option though being able to play in multiple positions but like you say has all the right attributes to be a deadly IF on the right.

Here's my version.

Berbaclass

Just had my January window close, thank god.

Normally not an issue for me but a few of my better players became unsettled and I had to tell them where to go. The main culprit being my best GK.

The guy is such a beast too. Bought him for £4 Million like 8 years ago as a backup when I had Farinez as my number 1 and he developed so well I had no choice but to shift Wulkier and bring him back into the fold. He's arguably one of the best keepers I've ever had. He's conceded 65 in 142 in the league FFS :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I just found out where all the FM legends go to retire. Playing Olympiakos who are starting 37yo Rafinha, 37yo Valbuena, 35yo Gervinho, and 32yo Yann M'Villa,

Berbaclass

CHANGES IN THE 21.3 UPDATE INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Number of stability fixes and improvements
- Further improvements to total player count and number of newgens generated in youth intakes
- Re-enabled option to ask board for Reserve/U23 team
- Improvements to staff given non-playing staff appointment responsibilities
- Further balancing of player ratings across both full and quick match engines
- Number of improvements and fixes to match stats, including key tackles, clear-cut chances and interceptions
- Improved goalkeeper distribution when set tactically via instructions
- Added assist details to the goal caption in matches

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Predicted to finish 20th. Finished 9th. Pleased with our performances towards the latter end of the season as we grew into the league and my players grew in ability. Think we will have enough for the playoffs next year if I make the right additions to the side. I tweaked the tactics after 15 games in from our direct and aggressive route one style into a custom gegenpress which is still quite direct but working much better for us now we are in the bigger and better leagues.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Just had this pop up randomly! Exciting but not sure what to think about it either. Whenever the board has wanted to build a new stadium on older versions they've always had a plan in mind for the capacity, cost etc. Never had it where they have no idea on any of the above. Anyone else had it and does it usually turn out well or terribly? :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I took over Zenit and despite having both Russian divisions loaded, I can barely find any decent Russian players. They’re all a bit shite and it sucks as there’s a foreigner limit. The Russian national side has fallen to 80+ In the rankings too.

Though I guess the league is pretty weak in real life too nowadays

Chipper

Adulterer.
Anyone know where the setting is to make my Head of Youth Development be the staff member responsible for bringing in each season's new crop of youngsters?

My assistant manager is doing it and I can't make him stop!

Berbaclass

Interestingly Dortmundt bit my hand off when I offered them 10+10 Million :lol:

Best bargain in the game ever probably.

diarm

How does the winter update affect saves you're already in the middle of?

Obviously you don't get the new players or rating changes, but do you still benefit from the stability and bug fixes?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Anyone know where the setting is to make my Head of Youth Development be the staff member responsible for bringing in each season's new crop of youngsters?

My assistant manager is doing it and I can't make him stop!
I just spent 10 minutes looking for it and I swear I saw it a week or so ago in the staff responsibilities dropdown. Has it been moved????

Edit: Ok, I have an answer. Apparently there is no longer a dropdown to chose who brings in your new youth candidates. Instead you need to go to Staff --> Advice and Reports and make sure the "Provides Youth Development Information" is set to your HoYD or whoever you want it to be. I am guessing that right now it is set to your AM.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I just spent 10 minutes looking for it and I swear I saw it a week or so ago in the staff responsibilities dropdown. Has it been moved????
As best I can tell it's Staff -> Responsibilities -> Overview -> Staff tab -> Transfer and contract responsibilities heading -> Provides Youth Development Information

Though for some fecking reason this isn't on the actual Transfers and Contracts section when you look there, only through the overview.

That changes the staff member who comes up in the dev centre youth candidates bit, and presumably (hopefully) who actually brings them through when they appear.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I remember needing to find it once in FM20 and taking ages to locate it. Done the same 10 minute look at it like you have 3 or 4 times in the past few days. I might have missed it but think I've got through absolutely all the tabs on responsibilities.

The nearest thing I've seen is "Find and sign young players for future (U18)" but I'm reasonably sure that's not it. That's buying young players from other clubs to put in your youth team I think. Anyway, I'm on that duty, not my assistant manager so if that's it he shouldn't be doing it anyway!

Chipper

Adulterer.
As best I can tell it's Staff -> Responsibilities -> Overview -> Staff tab -> Transfer and contract responsibilities heading -> Provides Youth Development Information

Though for some fecking reason this isn't on the actual Transfers and Contracts section when you look there, only through the overview.

That changes the staff member who comes up in the dev centre youth candidates bit, and presumably (hopefully) who actually brings them through when they appear.
Cheers, hopefully this sorts it out. Got a long time until the next crop of youth comes through, just got to wait and see now.

It's literally the only thing I want the head of youth to do and it was annoying that he wasn't. What was I paying him for if he's not doing that?!

Think it might have been because when I started this save we didn't have a youth team. We seemed to get one automatically when I got promoted to the top-flight in Scotland which was also when we turned professional so it was probably one of those events triggering it. As we had no youth team before that there was no need for a head of youth so when got the youth team I'm guessing the game just dished that duty to the best other member of staff which was my Ass Man. Then when we finally hired a head of youth it didn't switch automatically to his duty.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ugh.... just suffered my worst defeat ever in FM. 6-0 in a CL group game to Utd.

I am having a tough time figuring out this injury thing as I am constantly losing a rash of players. I ended up having to start 5 academy players (all 18 and U) in the game and my entire bench, bar the GK, was B Team or Academy. The oldest player in my MF or attack was 20yo Demir. I lost both starting MF's in the previous league game and 3 starters in training in the 2 days between games. This seems to be a common occurrence. does anyone have any tips? I am conscientiously rotating my squad and always follow physio recommendations for rest. Help?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Finished 9th in my first season in the championship, which I was happy with.

I added a couple of upgrades in to the side and was expecting to kick on, but won only 1 of my first 6. I had a quick change of shape and form picked up, including beating man City in the third round of the fa Cup. But then I lost at Crewe in the next round. Consistency seems to be the issue. I added a midfielder and a pair of strikers on loan in January but I'm still very hot and cold.

Berbaclass

The patch has already had a noticeable effect on my team and tactics I think.

Whether it’s just in my head though I’m not sure. I think the match engine in 2D is different, already seen a few different types of goals I don’t remember seeing before.

Berbaclass

So happy right now. I had Dortmund in the QF and then Chelsea who both beat me a few times so it was really nice to get revenge. Especially Chelsea, they gave me a few trashings down the years so feck them :lol:

I mean, look at this horrible record

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Ever just have way too many CB's that you are forced to just loan them out?

These are just the guys I had to loan...

Found all the Belgian guys for free in the Belgian amateur levels, which is such a goldmine it's untrue. Casado and Bustos cost me a combined total of £10 Million too. The depth I have at the club is frightening.

The top 15 goalscorers in the Austrian Bundesliga this season, 11 of them either play for me, are on loans from me or are players I have given away to teams for nothing.

I've had some amazing saves in my time but my scouting network and talent pool of players on this is the best I have ever had. It's becoming my favorite ever save and I can see myself going another 15-20 years into it very easily.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.

Found all the Belgian guys for free in the Belgian amateur levels, which is such a goldmine it's untrue. Casado and Bustos cost me a combined total of £10 Million too. The depth I have at the club is frightening.

The top 15 goalscorers in the Austrian Bundesliga this season, 11 of them either play for me, are on loans from me or are players I have given away to teams for nothing.

I've had some amazing saves in my time but my scouting network and talent pool of players on this is the best I have ever had. It's becoming my favorite ever save and I can see myself going another 15-20 years into it very easily.
What's the best you've done in the Austrian Bundesliga? You sound so dominant that I'd assume there's a reasonably high chance of unbeaten/invincible, but how about winning every game, have you done that yet?

Not that the league will be your priority.

Berbaclass

What's the best you've done in the Austrian Bundesliga? You sound so dominant that I'd assume there's a reasonably high chance of unbeaten/invincible, but how about winning every game, have you done that yet?

Not that the league will be your priority.
The closest I've been to winning all games is this season.

I had to rotate out 3/4 of my key players in a game against Rapid Wien and they got a late equalizer after I should have won by a few.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Nasty fixture congestion here. Had 1 game called off because of waterlogged pitch and another because of snow a little while back. Add in the cup replay, and I think one of the Motherwell matches got moved for them having a replay in the previous round of the cup.

Tight race for the title going on, was leading it for a while but have started to slip away a little. Rangers have come on strong, they were 3rd most of the season. They beat us 4-1 recently, not our only heavy defeat, we inexplicably lost 4-7 at home to Hearts. Don't know where that came from and it was 2-4 after 16 minutes.

Berbaclass

Nasty fixture congestion here. Had 1 game called off because of waterlogged pitch and another because of snow a little while back. Add in the cup replay, and I think one of the Motherwell matches got moved for them having a replay in the previous round of the cup.

Tight race for the title going on, was leading it for a while but have started to slip away a little. Rangers have come on strong, they were 3rd most of the season. They beat us 4-1 recently, not our only heavy defeat, we inexplicably lost 4-7 at home to Hearts. Don't know where that came from and it was 2-4 after 16 minutes.
Nasty little run that. You turned off all your training and replaced it with rest or recovery? I do that when things get that bad.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Belgian regens are OP. Not complaining though.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Nasty little run that. You turned off all your training and replaced it with rest or recovery? I do that when things get that bad.
Just letting my assistant manager handle it, he mostly did what you were saying anyway.

Day after games is rest/recovery anyway so there's only 2 normal training sessions in the worst part of that run and he's put light ones in so that will do. Good idea though, will at least look at what he's put in if I ever have another run like that and change it if necessary.

Berbaclass

Ahh, I've turned down a £200 MIllion bid for two of my player and I feel dirty. I just do not want to sell them but the money... :(

Dave_MUFC

Anyone had a chance to check the United squad after the update?

I know the first team has had a few downgrades, just wondering if any of the youngsters have had upgrades, as Hugill, Hannibal, McCann had much lower potentials than in real life.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It gets worse, players away on international duy right at the end of this crazy run of games.

Berbaclass

Anyone had a chance to check the United squad after the update?

I know the first team has had a few downgrades, just wondering if any of the youngsters have had upgrades, as Hugill, Hannibal, McCann had much lower potentials than in real life.
Theres been a few CA upgrades that I've seen. Hugill has been bumped a few points