Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

NoLogo

Won the Prmier League with Bournemouth in my fourth season, have so far won the Championship, FA Cup, Europa League, Euro Super Cup, Premier league and FA Cup double.

Not sure about anyone else, but I am finding this years game so easy! It seems like as long as you play everyone in a comfortable position, press high and shoot on sight, you will win 90% of your games!

Anyone else finding it easy?
Interesting. Can't say I really do, I found FM20 and FM19 way easier tbh. Especially the first couple of seasons when the teams still have some pretty OP squads. After a couple of years it seems to get progressively easier though because as always the AI Teams are shit at squad building and sell and buy way to many players to be consistent.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Nah the game is just stupid when it comes to scheduling. I had stuff like this where I was not playing another game in the week and neither was my opponent and we still didn't play, instead it was moved into a week when I already had a game on Saturday and Wednesday.
I get that it's daft but there is obviously a finite amount of days you could possibly play the games. We've seen that this season with some real fixtures looking like this.

Chuck in a few postponed games anyone could have a bit of a crisis, I don't think that's the fault of the game. They have to be played somewhere. Fair enough if there is a daft gap somewhere else where they could fit in but if not I'm not sure what else it could do realistically.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Well lost 4-3 at home in the first leg against Roma and have 3 players suspended for the 2nd leg. That's helped with the decision process. Suspect we're going out no matter what as we'd have to win by 2 so Rangers away which is very important will be the priority over the 2nd leg.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I get that it's daft but there is obviously a finite amount of days you could possibly play the games. We've seen that this season with some real fixtures looking like this.

Chuck in a few postponed games anyone could have a bit of a crisis, I don't think that's the fault of the game. They have to be played somewhere. Fair enough if there is a daft gap somewhere else where they could fit in but if not I'm not sure what else it could do realistically.
I think there might be an additional problem with Scottish fixtures in the game and in real life for that matter which is my fault for playing this league!

I don't know if you know the format of the league? 12 teams, everyone plays each other 3 times = 33 games. At that point the league is split in 2, each team in the top 6 plays each once more each, the same for the bottom half for 38 games in total.

It means that the top 6 and bottom all have to be known by a certain date so that the last 5 fixtures can be decided upon and scheduled. If a game was postponed earlier in the season it can't be moved right to the end of the season even if there was a free mid-week date during that time. All teams must have played 33 games towards the end of March roughly, no catching up after that in April or May.

Berbaclass

Messing around with a new save ATM. Had an idea the other day to create a rival to Newcastle United and started messing about making some badges etc.

Started them in the Northern Premier and we've had two promotions in two years and after a lengthy pre-season are heavy favourites for the VNL.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
RE: how easy FM is.

I don’t think I could play FM without the in game editor. I end up making transfers for rival teams to prolong the save. I have tried giving some of them £500m to spend, but they spend it on garbage, so I end up making transfers for them.

Even with implanting rules for yourself it can end up easy due to how bad the AI is with transfers.

NoLogo

RE: how easy FM is.

I don’t think I could play FM without the in game editor. I end up making transfers for rival teams to prolong the save. I have tried giving some of them £500m to spend, but they spend it on garbage, so I end up making transfers for them.

Even with implanting rules for yourself it can end up easy due to how bad the AI is with transfers.
Well I usually start a new game once I hit 4th or 5th season, never quite make it very long in games, maybe that's why I think the game isn't so super easy but yeah I notice that at around season 4 or 5 things start to get way easier, because my team is optimized at this stage and the AI-Teams get worse and worse. I reckon after 10 or so seasons its probably not much of a challenge anymore.

Berbaclass

Well I usually start a new game once I hit 4th or 5th season, never quite make it very long in games, maybe that's why I think the game isn't so super easy but yeah I notice that at around season 4 or 5 things start to get way easier, because my team is optimized at this stage and the AI-Teams get worse and worse. I reckon after 10 or so seasons its probably not much of a challenge anymore.
The insane regens help balance things out.

Berbaclass

Does it? I sometimes feel the AI has more problems than not buying good players, they simply often buy players who don't fit their formation or tactical style.
I personally don't think the squad building AI is that bad from my experience. Of course, they do stupid things sometimes but for the most part, I always think they make solid buys.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It’s definitely easier with bigger teams.

But to an extent it’s always been “easy” when you have money.
Bournemouth do not have money!!
Constantly restricted with wages and transfer money, yet constantly beating City, United etc.

Champ

Interesting. Can't say I really do, I found FM20 and FM19 way easier tbh. Especially the first couple of seasons when the teams still have some pretty OP squads. After a couple of years it seems to get progressively easier though because as always the AI Teams are shit at squad building and sell and buy way to many players to be consistent.
City certainly seem be suffering from squad building, they are poor!!

So strange how I've managed to take Bournemouth from Championship to Glory in four seasons, never been able to do that in any other version before.

Berbaclass

Bournemouth do not have money!!
Constantly restricted with wages and transfer money, yet constantly beating City, United etc.
Mate, all PL teams are minted relatively. Managing any PL level team is pretty easy given 4/5 years.

Plus they have a semi PL level team to begin with.

Champ

Mate, all PL teams are minted relatively. Managing any PL level team is pretty easy given 4/5 years.

Plus they have a semi PL level team to begin with.
So they should be winning the FA cup within one transfer window, Europa League within two seasons? Premiership within four??
Just seems too easy to me. I've barely spent that much either, the premiership winning season I spent £50m, yet sold players to recoup most of that.
It's too easy.

Berbaclass

So they should be winning the FA cup within one transfer window, Europa League within two seasons? Premiership within four??
Just seems too easy to me. I've barely spent that much either, the premiership winning season I spent £50m, yet sold players to recoup most of that.
It's too easy.
It is fairly easy if you know how to play the game. The money/rep in the PL takes away a lot of the challenge because you can sign 90-95% of the players in the game.

NoLogo

City certainly seem be suffering from squad building, they are poor!!

So strange how I've managed to take Bournemouth from Championship to Glory in four seasons, never been able to do that in any other version before.
In my Manchester United save game things were pretty weird. First season I won the league with 93 points, 2nd was Liverpool who were at 76 points, so quite a way off, but that was patch 21.1 I think.

Second season I improved and got 97 points but lost the league to Chelsea who got 98 points, that was patch 21.2. 3rd season was on the same patch and I improved again to 101 points next in line was Liverpool with 90. 4th season I was on patch 21.2 for half of the season and 21.3 the other half I won it with 107 points over 82 from Chelsea.

So to recap the teams who came second got. 76, 97, 90, 82 points which seems a bit erratic and there is quite a gap from season to season but then again I think winning the league is actually the easiest part in FM, always has been though imo.

But I agree attacking/positive tactics with hard counter + counter pressing seems currently are a bit OP. That being said FM17 you could with certain strikerless tactics beat anyone, even as SV Darmstadt. I remember a save where I won the CL with them after 3 seasons. And won the league in my second season while coming 3rd in my first. Those tactics were nuts OP.

NoLogo

It's too easy.
Tbh that was pretty much always possible. Taking a mid table team to PL dominance has been at least possible since 2014, haven't played this FM series before that time but I can't ever remeber being not able to win the league with a decent team after 4 seasons at maximum.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Coming back to that fixture congestion in Scotland and how 33 matches must be played before the split, look at how empty April is after it.

On top of that we're completely bottling it of course which doesn't make for much fun although to be fair we're not playing too bad. Things just not going for us in front of goal at both ends.

Roma (H) xG = 1.75-1.59 - unlucky to lose but 4 away goals and I gave up for the 2nd leg

Hearts (H) = 3.14-0.85 deserved win

Rangers (A) 0.80-0.78 - poor match but probably deserved a point

Roma (A) 3.30-0.31 second-choice XI resoundingly beaten, went down to 10 men after 30 minutes with a red and 9 men on 70 after an injury having already made 3 subs

Hibs (A) 0.88-1.37 - Harsh to lose as we were about half a goal better, wouldn't have grumbled about a draw but a defeat is rough there, that's the game where my goalie kicked it at their forward like an idiot

Hibs (A) - 0.40-1.54 Better than them again, flattering scoreline but deserved the win

Motherwell (H) - 2.01-0.68 - Didn't play too well overall but missed a penalty and another absolutely huge chance in there, should have won

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone got relegated on any version? Especially with a decent team.

Chipper

Adulterer.
If I didn't search online for tactics I probably would be capable of getting relegated. :nervous:

In FM 20 I rolled with my own tactics and got sacked before I could even get relegated. To give myself some credit I was trying to replicate what many would call a shit style of football. Did a bit of studying of Pulis-ball and was trying to see if you could play like that but actually have success. Went into it actually aiming to go through the leagues with Altrincham playing that way (defensive mindset, very rigid, long ball, sitting deep, tackling hard, big target man, time wasting to the max, play for set pieces, long throws etc.). Maybe you can, but I couldn't, I think you have to be progressive to have success and perhaps all you can hope for playing like that is to survive.

After that sacking I got a job at Southport, went with some tactics I found online and got them to the PL. Gave up before winning it but I think we were runners-up one year.

Berbaclass

If I didn't search online for tactics I probably would be capable of getting relegated. :nervous:

In FM 20 I rolled with my own tactics and got sacked before I could even get relegated. To give myself some credit I was trying to replicate what many would call a shit style of football. Did a bit of studying of Pulis-ball and was trying to see if you could play like that but actually have success. Went into it actually aiming to go through the leagues with Altrincham playing that way (defensive mindset, very rigid, long ball, sitting deep). Maybe you can, but I couldn't, I think you have to be progressive to have success and perhaps all you can hope for playing like that is to survive.

After that sacking I got a job at Southport, went with some tactics I found online and got them to the PL. Gave up before winning it but I think we were runners-up one year.
The default gegenpress is one of the most effective tactics on the game IMO. WIth a few role tweaks anyway.

Is there actually anyone that uses a fecking carrilero :lol:

roonster09

Scout
I genuinely don't think I've had a team relegated since I managed Köln on FM06 :lol:
I was so close once I think in fm10 or 11. Was managing Hoffenheim and was just above relegation play off place. I needed win in the last game to be safe but I lost the game luckily the team below me also lost the game which saved me from play off spot :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
The default gegenpress is one of the most effective tactics on the game IMO. WIth a few role tweaks anyway.

Is there actually anyone that uses a fecking carrilero :lol:
Not even sure what one is! :lol: Don't think I've seen anyone using them or Liberos.

Can we do it? Say one thing about Scotland, in a tight race the split thing they do can create exciting season endings at the top and bottom. Think Belgium is similar.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Rangers battered us, but we then beat Celtic as they got smacked 4-1 by Hibs.

A point at home to Hibs guarantees the title.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Absolute bottlers, but got away with it.

Mission Accomplished, no transfer spend, UK and Irish players (passports) only, Scottish League 2 to SPL Champions.

League 2 (3rd) -> League 2 (1st) -> League 1 (1st) -> Championship (1st) -> SPL 3rd -> SPL 2nd -> SPL 2nd -> SPL 1st
2 x Betfred (League Cup) winners
1 x Scottish Cup winners
1 x SPFL Trust Trophy winners (Scottish equivalent of EFL Trophy)

2 x Europa League quarter finalist, I'm ok with that, put our name on the map a bit. 1 x last 16.

Not sure what's next. Continue on under the same restrictions, let loose and destroy the competition or start something new.

K Stand Knut

Mission Accomplished, no transfer spend, UK and Irish players (passports) only, Scottish League 2 to SPL Champions.

League 2 (3rd) -> League 2 (1st) -> League 1 (1st) -> Championship (1st) -> SPL 3rd -> SPL 2nd -> SPL 2nd -> SPL 1st
1 x Scottish Cup winners

2 x Europa League quarter finalist, I'm ok with that, put our name on the map a bit. 1 x last 16.

Not sure what's next. Continue on under the same restrictions, let loose and destroy the competition or start something new.
No loyalty!!!!

Must be a right twat in the dressing room!

I’m gonna start something similar to this in a few weeks.

roonster09

Scout

1 x Scottish Cup winners

Nice.

Next you can do youth only challenge, few folks in SI forum do that. Relying only on youth academy to build a winning team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Won the Prmier League with Bournemouth in my fourth season, have so far won the Championship, FA Cup, Europa League, Euro Super Cup, Premier league and FA Cup double.

Not sure about anyone else, but I am finding this years game so easy! It seems like as long as you play everyone in a comfortable position, press high and shoot on sight, you will win 90% of your games!

Anyone else finding it easy?
Sounds like you just came into the thread to boast really. Any game is easy if you know how to exploit it.

Champ

Sounds like you just came into the thread to boast really. Any game is easy if you know how to exploit it.
There's the thing, on previous versions I have consistently struggled unless I was a larger team, very rarely did I manage to win anything with Championship clubs.
But this version has been the polar opposite, so I'm not boasting, just merely quipping that this version may well be the easiest yet as I'm generally not the best FM player in the world!!

Champ

Tbh that was pretty much always possible. Taking a mid table team to PL dominance has been at least possible since 2014, haven't played this FM series before that time but I can't ever remeber being not able to win the league with a decent team after 4 seasons at maximum.
To be fair, I played last year's version a bit and didn't do amazing on that, but I often play CM 01/02 with updated teams, and am pretty good at that version.
Before that I played FM08 as that for me is one of the best versions.
This has been the first version I've managed to take a Championship team to European glory and so quickly, which leads me to believe that certain tactics give you a massive upper hand and this game is maybe tailored to be slightly easier to be more approachable?!

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Yea it's definetely easier than any other version i remember. Even in CM 01/02 it wasn't as boring as the commentary only aspect made it all a bit more unpredictable.

I am using some custom dlc's with improved AI transfers, tactics, squad building, more injuries, more debt but still undefeated. The tactic is a simple possession based 433 (balanced mentality) so I'm not even abusing the engine.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, in my Uruguay save I expected to be one of the best teams in the league but then I was regularly smashing Brazilian/Argentine teams in the Copa Libatadoras.

I mentioned before but I took over Fiorentina in January who were 10th. I managed to win 16 out of 16 and finish 3rd. Won the league soon after but I did have one bad season where I finished 5th.

The game is great but longevity is difficult due to how terrible the AI is with transfers. Trying to prolong my current save by signing players for the AI which sometimes works a treat. I’ve lost titles and had great title races due to this.

Do AI manager stats mean anything? I’ve tested things out by shoving a low stat manager at clubs like Arsenal, Valencia, Roma to see what happens and they don’t seem to drag the teams down as I would have expected.

Champ

Yeah, in my Uruguay save I expected to be one of the best teams in the league but then I was regularly smashing Brazilian/Argentine teams in the Copa Libatadoras.

I mentioned before but I took over Fiorentina in January who were 10th. I managed to win 16 out of 16 and finish 3rd. Won the league soon after but I did have one bad season where I finished 5th.

The game is great but longevity is difficult due to how terrible the AI is with transfers. Trying to prolong my current save by signing players for the AI which sometimes works a treat. I’ve lost titles and had great title races due to this.

Do AI manager stats mean anything? I’ve tested things out by shoving a low stat manager at clubs like Arsenal, Valencia, Roma to see what happens and they don’t seem to drag the teams down as I would have expected.
Not sure about the AI stats, but if you become friends with another manager it's so easy to buy/loan players from them.
I became friends with Klopp and have loaned Curtis Davies from Liverpool for the past three seasons, despite him being worth £71m, whilst only paying 10% of his wages!! Daft!

Chipper

Adulterer.
No loyalty!!!!

Must be a right twat in the dressing room!

I’m gonna start something similar to this in a few weeks.
Good luck with it, it was rewarding. Rapid progress up the leagues but had to really fight for the title in the SPL. I did allow myself loans too by the way and had some good players that way. Still UK and Irish players for loans and while I paid wages I refused to pay fees for them, not that many clubs asked for them.

Nice.

Next you can do youth only challenge, few folks in SI forum do that. Relying only on youth academy to build a winning team.
I've seen people doing it, and on extend databases too all the way down to I don't know where, tier 10 or 12? Absolutely mental and I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience. I think they pray for a cup run for years so they can get the money to improve the youth facilities. Or they have these massive dilemmas where they produce someone who is good and selling him could improve the facilities but they also need him for the team right now. They also get chairmen sometimes blocking the request to improve the facilities so even if they get the money there's no guarantee.

Maybe I'll try it one day but not next!

Asked for ideas before I started this particular save. @YAMS49 came up with a couple of mad ones: All new signings must have at least 5 vowels in their last name, or all new signings must have double-barreled names like Wan-Bissaka or Calvert-Lewin etc. Tempted, more with the vowel one as I could start that anywhere, not sure what would be a good league to start the double-barrel thing in.

Some of my own ideas were nationality based. This Albion thing was like that with players from UK and Ireland only but actually started out with the idea of UK mainland only, because that was once called the island of Albion. Other ideas were trying to do some sort of heavy Greek slant with Hellas Verona as Hellas means Greek or Greece I think, or Spanish players/fluent Spanish speakers with Espanyol.

Away from that also had some initialisation ideas - player's last names must start with the same letter as the initials of the club. Could do United and go for players with an M,U,F or C name but was thinking more of clubs that are actually known more by their initials like SPAL, BATE or QPR.