Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Downloaded the Japanese league system, it goes down to tier 7 or something. Going to try and build a world class national side

sebsheep

With the hopeless squad building AI, I wouldn't bet on it. It's always been my complaint of the series.
They were champions for 3 seasons before I joined though and they have a very good squad. The Seoul team I left behind just finished 4th, 12 points off the top which is pretty poor.

Wayne's World

Finished college soon and wondering where's the best place to buy this for cheap?

I still have FM2020 so is it worth upgrading to this one?

Acole9

Outstanding
Finished college soon and wondering where's the best place to buy this for cheap?

I still have FM2020 so is it worth upgrading to this one?
Definitely, great fun. This is probably my favourite FM they've put out for a while.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Got this guy a few years ago for like 775k and pretty much forgot about him and he's quietly turned into a bit of a beast :lol:

sebsheep

Not sure if anyone around here still keeps up with DrBenjy but his episode today is brilliant.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Just bought this to serve as a bit of a distraction.

I really hate the training, but at the same time, want to get some benefits out of it.

Is there a really easy way to set it up and leave it?

MattofManchester

I really hate the training, but at the same time, want to get some benefits out of it.

I usually leave it to the assistant and I handle individual training.

So I have a direct aspect to improving players.

I've never really taken on the general training. Seems a lot to learn, and it's the only aspect I prefer to delegate.

Maluco

I usually leave it to the assistant and I handle individual training.

So I have a direct aspect to improving players.

I've never really taken on the general training. Seems a lot to learn, and it's the only aspect I prefer to delegate.
Yeah, the constant need to monitor and fiddle puts me off totally.

Do you find that your players still improve by giving it to the assistant?

MattofManchester

Yeah, the constant need to monitor and fiddle puts me off totally.

Do you find that your players still improve by giving it to the assistant?
Based on my own eye test, I'd say it's been effective.

However, this depends on facilities, staff, personalities, etc.
You won't always be able to max your player's potentials.

I generally work on trying to balance my coaching staff across all training fields, focusing on getting the best training in every category, then I delegate to the assistant manager to schedule the training

My main focus are handling players individually and balancing their playing time, especially for youth.
Plus also avoiding injuries, etc.

Maluco

Based on my own eye test, I'd say it's been effective.

However, this depends on facilities, staff, personalities, etc.
You won't always be able to max your player's potentials.

I generally work on trying to balance my coaching staff across all training fields, focusing on getting the best training in every category, then I delegate to the assistant manager to schedule the training

My main focus are handling players individually and balancing their playing time, especially for youth.
Plus also avoiding injuries, etc.
Yeah, that’s what I have always done too, but started to nag me when I saw all these incredible leaps forward with training schedules.

Dan_F

Ive never bothered using them, but downloaded some recently. I can have a look for the name tomorrow, but I’m sure there’s loads out there. The one I downloaded had pre season variants, general training, big match training and then more attack or defence focused training. All options have 1 or 2 game per week variants.

I think it’s made quite a big difference and you can tell by comparing it with the AM’s recommendation why. I guess you could say it’s cheating, but I just don’t have time/effort to do that myself. At least with this I can choose which options to use each week depending on the opponent.

Abraxas

For training if I'm just doing a casual save or maybe I'm in the first season and can't be bothered diving into the minutiae:

Check the workloads as sometimes the AI will do a strange job of alloting training, so verify it is logical according to the coaches skills. Usually the assistant will do it okay.

I'll set the training style to suit whatever tactic I'm using. Tiki taka for example. I will make ad hoc changes to a weekly schedule if something is obviously going wrong, e.g. defending set pieces is common.

I might throw together mentoring based on position as overall it tends to be a net positive even if it's roughly done.

If I identify that individual players in my squad are playing in a position they are not strong in, I will set them to train that position.

This is good enough to get improvement from players without composing the entire schedules and only takes 10 mins without cheating by using somebody else's ideas. I guess you can argue that in real life many managers employ a coach to help with training ideas, but I dunno, it's just not for me to download anything except UI improvements.

MattofManchester

Yeah, that’s what I have always done too, but started to nag me when I saw all these incredible leaps forward with training schedules.
I'll probably look at it at some stage when I get a full fledged gaming pc again, but part of the reason I've not learned it yet is it's incredibly time consuming.

When I feel like dragging out my save is most likely when I'll take a look.

Maluco

I'll probably look at it at some stage when I get a full fledged gaming pc again, but part of the reason I've not learned it yet is it's incredibly time consuming.

When I feel like dragging out my save is most likely when I'll take a look.
Yeah, I just can’t commit that much time to it. Cant be bothered tinkering constantly and injuring players etc...

Sounds like way too much hard work

Lay

feck training. I leave it to the assistant. I focus on individual training though.

MattofManchester

Playing the Touch edition for the next 2 months, which is painful.

Having a go at United.
Scored 59 goals in 21 games. So just under 3 goals a game.

The board: "Unhappy that so few goals have been scored".

On another note, Shaw didn't receive great updates during the winter update, but does anyone find him hopelessly inconsistent? While Telles is heavily dominant on that left side?
So, almost a role reversal.

sebsheep

I ended up getting a job at Leon in Mexico, they had a decent reputation but as the league hadn't loaded that long ago I couldn't see their history. Turns out they were a very average mid-table team so this one could take a few seasons. :lol:
I made 8 signings before the start of the season and got rid of a lot of the deadwood, we managed to finish 2nd in the opening stage and then ended up runners up in the little play-offs the top teams have in Mexico to America, who are very strong. That might get me a spot in the NACL but I'm not 100% sure. Have made another couple of signings in the mid-season window and hopefully we can have a good showing in the closing stage. The Mexican league is weird though.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Playing the Touch edition for the next 2 months, which is painful.

Having a go at United.
Scored 59 goals in 21 games. So just under 3 goals a game.

The board: "Unhappy that so few goals have been scored".

On another note, Shaw didn't receive great updates during the winter update, but does anyone find him hopelessly inconsistent? While Telles is heavily dominant on that left side?
So, almost a role reversal.
I play the touch version as I haven't bothered to buy a new laptop and yeah Shaw is terrible for me, even Williams has surpassed him halfway through the 2nd season.

Got bored of my Watford save when a shed load of my players wanted to leave due to not winning a domestic cup, despite being predicted 10th ending up 2nd and winning europa league

MattofManchester

is he a decent watch? I tend to watch lollujo.
I usually keep up with SweetLeftFoot on Twitch. His knack for bottling games is pretty fun to watch.
Man will be 3 to 4 goals up and still find a way to lose in important games. :lol:

Shaw is terrible for me, even Williams has surpassed him halfway through the 2nd season.

Got bored of my Watford save when a shed load of my players wanted to leave due to not winning a domestic cup, despite being predicted 10th ending up 2nd and winning europa league
Without getting into it, having played the full version in December and now the touch, the differences are night and day. If someone tells me they're the same Match Engine, I'll vehemently disagree. I've seen things happen that I haven't seen since FM18/19.

With regard to yours, FM hasn't really prioritized bugs, have they? For me, the analysis tools in-match are all broken, and they stated they won't be fixing it.

sebsheep

is he a decent watch? I tend to watch lollujo.
Yeah he's a good watch, his sense of humour is probably not for everyone though. He has a reputation of managing to bottle just about anything as well and that is just funny to witness. He did have a weird obsession with Danny Graham as well. :lol:

sebsheep

Ended up winning the Mexican Cup and topping the latter stage table before going on to win the play offs. Lost the first leg 1-0 to Monterrey and thought we were going to throw it away again, but then easily beat them 3-0 in the home leg to give us a trophy. We're in the NACL for this season now, along with some other random competitions. We were put into a Leagues Cup thing that seems to be a Mexico vs USA thing, then we won the Mexican Champions Trophy (community shield/super cup sort of thing) and that put us into the Capeones Cup, which I think is like a Super Cup play off vs the winner from the USA side. This season could end up with an insane amount of games, we must've played nearly 60 games last year with just the league and Mexican Cup. :lol:
We do at least have a bit more squad depth this season, only really had 1 striker last season, poor guy was constantly in need of rest.

Lay

Started a new save with Villarreal. Holidayed the first season where Emery took them to 7th so qualified for that Conference league.

I didn’t know how many sellable assets were at Villarreal. Brought in £150m by selling Moreno for about £70m to Real Madrid. Sold a lot of back ups. Bought in Tah from Leverkusen for only £18m (release clause) and Camavinga bizarrely was happy to join for £53m. I have an ageing midfield. I think only a couple are under 30 but there’s some good young players in the team. Bought a right back from Madrid that I can’t spell, was at Bayern too. Only cost £8m and he’s streets ahead of what I did have

Won my first 4 league games, so currently top but I have Atletico Madrid and Valencia next. Got a conference group with Rangers and some team from Moldova and Austria

sebsheep

Does anyone else have odd offside calls from VAR? The header goes straight into the goal from here and the player who is judged offside never even attempts to go for the ball and doesn't impede anyone, he is just running back the other way.

Last edited:

Lay

First season at Villarreal was a success! Finished 2nd in the league behind Real Madrid by 3 points. I was actually top at Christmas by 6 points. But I had a terrible last ten games, I played Sevilla, Bilbao, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico away and only managed a point. I benefited from a cluster of easy games in the first half of the season.

But proudly won the Copa Del Rey with a 1-0 win over Real Madrid and won the Europa Conference with a 5-1 win over Marseille. Their first ever major trophies. The conference league is a depressing little cup though. Played my reserves up until the semi final against Leicester. Think I had wrapped up each tie in the first leg. Can’t imagine how shite it will be in real life.

Overall I’m not sure where to improve the team, we only conceded 22 goals, my strikers and wingers score goals. I don’t think I’ll put up another title challenge next season though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Whilst creating a corner routine it seems I accidentally set my GK to be edge of the box.

Did not realise until he scored just now from one :lol: