Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
5 years into my save and got excited to try and manage the US in a home soil world cup. I figured that the last 5 years would have produced 1 or 2 stars to join pulisic/reyna/adama/mussah/etc. Nope. The newgen system for the US is completely broken. I took a look with Genie Scout and they top newgen, over 5 years, has a PA of 150, with the next highest at 134. Every other main team in CONCACAF has better newgens. As an experiment I used the editor and changed the newgen score for the US to 180 (for reference, Brazil is like 162). After 4 years of simming the top newgen has a PA of 147. I think the MLS newgen system is a steaming pile. Really took the fun out of this save.
I don't look at PA stuff but the USA seems to produce some pretty decent players almost every save I have.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don't look at PA stuff but the USA seems to produce some pretty decent players almost every save I have.
I am wondering if having MLS as a playable league is what broke things. I will need to redo the experiment with and without it enabled.

sebsheep

Ended up in 8th and with no success in the Euro Cup or the Italian Cup we will be without European competition next season. Team was very inconsistent as we struggled to try to escape the mid-table battle. Already had our 2 best players wanting to leave when I joined as they wanted CL football so I think they'll be off in the summer. Need to get very good money for them as we're only getting 30% of any money from sales at the moment. The club lost over 60 million last year and we're currently 74 million in debt. :nervous:

Contracts like this might be related to the money issues, 165k a week for this guy. :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think Moukoko had a decent 2023 :wenger:. 67 goals in 50 games, he is just amazing. Likely going to lose him after this year, but hoping not as Liverpool just bought Haaland, City nabbed Mbappe, Greenwood is amazing and the 2 spanish clubs are in financial trouble (both have crashed out of CL last 2 years). I somehow got Hannibal back on loan for a 3rd year and he picked right up. Senesi and Mingueza are rocks at the back. I think this might be my year in he CL!

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think Moukoko had a decent 2023 :wenger:. 67 goals in 50 games, he is just amazing. Likely going to lose him after this year, but hoping not as Liverpool just bought Haaland, City nabbed Mbappe, Greenwood is amazing and the 2 spanish clubs are in financial trouble (both have crashed out of CL last 2 years). I somehow got Hannibal back on loan for a 3rd year and he picked right up. Senesi and Mingueza are rocks at the back. I think this might be my year in he CL!

Post a screen of your quad and tactics then please! Still got some actual Feyenoord in there?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Post a screen of your quad and tactics then please! Still got some actual Feyenoord in there?
I had to sell a majority of the original Feyenoord team after winning the league my first season as I needed to get my wage structure under control and everyone wanted raises.
- Bijlow: forced a transfer to City after the first season (20 million pounds). He has played 1 game since.
- Diemers and Toonstra: sold for a combined 12 million. Both wanted huge raises and pitched a fit when I said no.
- Linssen: Lasted 2 season, but wanted a big payday move to China. Let him got for 6 million with a big thank you!
-Teixeira: Bitched constantly and quit training when I sold Linssen. Sold him to Oostende
- Summer of 23 I lost Kokcu (linchpin of my CM) to City for 50 million, Geertruda to Leeds for 35, and Berghuis to Roma for 23. The Kokcu one pissed me off as he forced the sale and has not played a game for city.

Of the original starting 11 I started with I think only Senesi and Malacia are still around. Lots of original youth and B-teamers are in and around the squad. Troost is my starting GK (for now, I have a great prospect in the academy) and 't Zand is a rotation winger. I scour expiring contacts every Jan 1st, which is how I got Mingueza and Moukoko, plus Nico Williams (amazing right winger) and Zagre (from Monaco) for under 2 million each. They would have been free but I paid for instant transfers. The rest of the roster is newgen prospects from my academy and ones I picked up, plus a few small dollar veterans to add experience.

Nothing special about my tactics, just a pressing 4-2-3-1 and default set pieces. I do tweak my individual instruction based on who is starting on the wings. The keys to my team are my CB pairing (both BPD's who launch most of my counter attacks) and Hannibal who I just can not rave any more about. I could afford him, but not willing to pay 50 million and blow up my wage structure.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I just signed Moukoko as well, at 19 years old. He's scored 6 goals in his first 6 Prem games.

Lay

I just signed Moukoko as well, at 19 years old. He's scored 6 goals in his first 6 Prem games.
I have him at 19 and I’m a little underwhelmed. How are you guys playing him? Lone striker?

I have him as a lone striker as a complete forward on support. He has 4 goals in 11 games. He scored a brace in both games he’s scored so he’s been pretty average in 9 games.

I never really can get a lone striker with no attacking mid firing though. But I hate playing a number 10.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have him at 19 and I’m a little underwhelmed. How are you guys playing him? Lone striker?

I have him as a lone striker as a complete forward on support. He has 4 goals in 11 games. He scored a brace in both games he’s scored so he’s been pretty average in 9 games.

I never really can get a lone striker with no attacking mid firing though. But I hate playing a number 10.
Attacking forward supported by inverted wingers and an attacking midfielder. His off ball runs yield a ton of goals from through balls from those 3.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Advanced forward supported by inverted wingers and an attacking mid. Same as above really.

sebsheep

Just looked him up on my save, he's still at Dortmund and has been really good for them down the years.

sebsheep

Summer transfer window done, 15 players from the 1st team squad out the door and 13 players in (3-4 of them are youngsters for loaning atm). Brought in 127m and spent 73m, also reduced our wage bill by about 1.2m a week. Still have 1 of the players who wanted out as nobody wanted him, he's now happy to stay. :lol:

This is the best player I managed to pick up, cost me 5m (6.5m) from Ludogorets, had to switch from a 5-3-2 to a 4-3-1-2 to get him in, probably for the best as I only really have 1 quality CB.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just beat the team who were rock bottom 20th in the league at home. feck you FM.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just beat the team who were rock bottom 20th in the league at home. feck you FM.

:lol:

honestly I have had less of an issue with that this year. It is also the first year I have really taken the time to dial in my tactics for my players and opposition, so maybe that's it?

sebsheep

:lol:
I actually got done over by the team in 19th last season. Think we may have missed a penalty as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Getting this really irritating thing where I play away to a crap team but there's not even a single highlight in the first half. If I have the audacity to switch formation and go more attacking I almost immediately concede.

I have an incredibly creative and determined squad of players and they're scoring 6 one game and barely creating a chance the next. It's rubbish.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It goes:

Speed of Sound
Speed of Light
The match clock after setting your team to 3-4-3, Very Attacking, Direct passing and screaming at them from the touchline.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's gotten to the point now where I'll rest players in a CL Quarter final and save my full strength team for 19th placed Sheffield Utd away.

lilcurt

Getting this really irritating thing where I play away to a crap team but there's not even a single highlight in the first half. If I have the audacity to switch formation and go more attacking I almost immediately concede.

I have an incredibly creative and determined squad of players and they're scoring 6 one game and barely creating a chance the next. It's rubbish.
Are you Ole in disguise?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Even if my team are struggling to break them down they should at least show some highlights of that. It’s infuriating watching the game just speed to 90 minutes without a single thing happening.

sebsheep

Even if my team are struggling to break them down they should at least show some highlights of that. It’s infuriating watching the game just speed to 90 minutes without a single thing happening.
Just turn extended highlights on. :cool:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Woah I just had a VAR check for offside on one of my goals and then the goal was actually awarded. Is this new?

I've been almost trained to know it's not a goal as soon as it says it's being checked.

sebsheep

Woah I just had a VAR check for offside on one of my goals and then the goal was actually awarded. Is this new?

I've been almost trained to know it's not a goal as soon as it says it's being checked.
Check your game for bugs, mine has never done that! It has been one of the most annoying things this year, they manage to have penalty reviews with a bit of variation.

Lay

When I try to watch comprehensive highlights, I just get a black screen which I can’t get out of. I just had to replay a UCL semi final because I didn’t save it before I tried to watch highlights.

Red Stone

Haaland is a fecking cracked cheat code in this game. Also, this is by far the easiest FM I've ever played. That being said, he is not the most prolific striker I've ever had... yet. I had a player on FM 12 that scored 126 goals in one season. Haaland finished his second season with me with 113, so he might very well beat it at some point. He's on 48 goals in 41 games for Norway as well, so he can do it for anyone, against anyone. Won the World Cup Golden Boot and everything.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Haaland is a fecking cracked cheat code in this game. Also, this is by far the easiest FM I've ever played. That being said, he is not the most prolific striker I've ever had... yet. I had a player on FM 12 that scored 126 goals in one season. Haaland finished his second season with me with 113, so he might very well beat it at some point. He's on 48 goals in 41 games for Norway as well, so he can do it for anyone, against anyone. Won the World Cup Golden Boot and everything.
He's at Liverpool in my save and is pretty much always scoring against me and beating Moukoko to awards and records. Moukoko is doing amazing for me as well.

I just lost to Liverpool in the Champions League final due to a goal where my defender tried to clear it and it bounced off Haaland and rolled into the net. Wonderful.

sebsheep

When I try to watch comprehensive highlights, I just get a black screen which I can’t get out of. I just had to replay a UCL semi final because I didn’t save it before I tried to watch highlights.
Yeah that happened to me once as well, don't think it was an important game though so I got lucky in that regard. Don't think I've tried it since. Never had that issue on FM before.

sebsheep

1st full season at Napoli and we finished 3rd, comfortably qualifying for the CL.

Had a good chuckle at one of the players who wanted to leave for CL football after last season going to Fiorentina (who weren't even in the CL) and being relegated. :lol: :lol:

NoLogo

He's at Liverpool in my save and is pretty much always scoring against me and beating Moukoko to awards and records. Moukoko is doing amazing for me as well.

I just lost to Liverpool in the Champions League final due to a goal where my defender tried to clear it and it bounced off Haaland and rolled into the net. Wonderful.
In my save game he is at PSG right now. At one point they had a front 4 of:

Haaland
Neymar -- Odegaard -- Mbappé
They also had Havertz in CM. It's kinda funny how crazy good the teams are that the AI can build these days.

NoLogo

Jeez 113 goals? What tactic are you using? I don't think I ever got him to score more than 60 goals in all competitions. 113 seems insane.

sebsheep

So Granada woke up this morning and chose violence. :lol:

I don't think I have ever seen a team commit this many fouls in 90 minutes of football oh yeah, and thanks to the ref for doing nothing about it.
That's more than a foul every 2 minutes. :lol:

Lay

AI managed Haaland at Real Madrid has 34 goals in 18 games :lol:

Yet are still joint top with me

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Some of you are ridiculously good at this game!

I always start my introductory save with a half decent team with players I like, so I chose Roma and ended up having a really good season playing 5 at the back and a very defensive system that relied on set pieces.

Won the league in the final game with a nervy draw at home to Spezia, beat Juventus in the final of the Italian Cup to do the double and lost to Bayern in the final of the Europa League in the very last minute of the game.

I am looking to be a bit more adventurous in season two. I have Zaniolo unhappy and wanting to leave and a few problems to solve from season one (where we got lucky playing horrendous football). There are also clubs swarming round Veretout and Villar and we have a lot of players that just aren’t good enough that need to be cut away.

Our big season one signing, Belotti, only scored 7 goals in the league and Veretout was the top scorer in the league with 12 goals.

Dzeko was great in the Europa but he is now 35 years old and on 250k a week. Mkhy is also on nearly 100k and spent half the season picking up injuries.

We need better fullbacks and to try and find a system where we don’t constantly concede from balls over the top. I tried it a few times and even poor teams seemed to counter way to easily, so have to test out some ambition formations and try and get the summer signings right.

The transfer budget is restrictive, so I feel like we will need to pay for a few new signings using installments if we want to compete with top teams in the CL.

sebsheep

I always start my introductory save with a half decent team with players I like, so I chose Roma and ended up having a really good season playing 5 at the back and a very defensive system that relied on set pieces.

Won the league in the final game with a nervy draw at home to Spezia, beat Juventus in the final of the Italian Cup to do the double and lost to Bayern in the final of the Europa League in the very last minute of the game.

I am looking to be a bit more adventurous in season two. I have Zaniolo unhappy and wanting to leave and a few problems to solve from season one (where we got lucky playing horrendous football). There are also clubs swarming round Veretout and Villar and we have a lot of players that just aren’t good enough that need to be cut away.

Our big season one signing, Belotti, only scored 7 goals in the league and Veretout was the top scorer in the league with 12 goals.

Dzeko was great in the Europa but he is now 35 years old and on 250k a week. Mkhy is also on nearly 100k and spent half the season picking up injuries.

We need better fullbacks and to try and find a system where we don’t constantly concede from balls over the top. I tried it a few times and even poor teams seemed to counter way to easily, so have to test out some ambition formations and try and get the summer signings right.

The transfer budget is restrictive, so I feel like we will need to pay for a few new signings using installments if we want to compete with top teams in the CL.
That's a very good 1st season to be honest. Italy is a fun league as long as you don't fall in love with South American wonder kids.

How high is your back line pushing up?

sebsheep

I agree with sebsheep, sounds like your game is bugged. :lol:
VAR in game is definitely a bit broken, I had a goal given for me when the guy was 100% offside. The game used the scorers position when the ball was being passed to the player who provided the assist.

Lay

I manage Roma a lot because I quite like them. Zainolo was immense for me as a right inside forward. 20+ goals almost every season. Under also was brilliant on the wings.

For a right back, try to get Singo from
Torino I think it is. Can be cheap and free if you’re lucky after a couple of seasons