Gaming Football Manager 2023

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Personal preference I guess but just like watching Statman Dave or an Atlantis video, the top down view is much better for me. The build up faze look amazing. I don't mind the 3d when I'm confident in the tactic but let's be honest, they too need work.
No Doubt, I was just having a bit of fun with someone trying to shutdown the idea of using 3D.

I just use commentary only. :nervous:
This is outrageous though.
I remember that somehow still being fun to watch. :lol:

NoLogo

I don't even think the 3D engine is that bad, actually the FM22 version probably had the best animations yet, that being said it's not graphic on the level of a 2022 game, probably more like graphic you would expect in a 2012 game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't even think the 3D engine is that bad, actually the FM22 version probably had the best animations yet, that being said it's not graphic on the level of a 2022 game, probably more like graphic you would expect in a 2012 game.
ha, what? Try 2002 maybe.

It's not even the graphics that annoy me, they have to keep them basic because a lot of people run FM on their laptops and such, that's what's great about it. But the animations on players and goals and the like are fecking awful. Looks absolutely ridiculous when they dribble and kick the ball. Just look at that clip of PES 12 and see how fluid all those animations are. FM is a disgrace in comparison.

Massive Spanner

Nope, not even then... and this was a manager game as well :lol:

There you go.

Sports Interactive have just been riding off being the only real decent management sim out there for years. If a true competitor came along now they'd be in the shit. They haven't released a proper game in years and never fix any of the underlying issues with them.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I agree they could have better graphics, but by the way Miles talks on twitter its almost like its a huge win just releasing the game every year, as if they are never guarenteed the backing by Sega or whoever it is that funds sports interactive. I just don't think they have the resources to improve it. I could be wrong though.

As for me, it took me quite a few years to move away from 2D and i still switch to it mid game sometimes to see how the tactic is working, like full backs pushing up too higb etc. But also, truth be told, most of the time i copy tactics i see online to help get me through rough patches as i have next to no idea about which instructions work best for a tactic when you measure it up to the individual attributes a team of players has and how blatantly i expose my defence without realising etc.

NoLogo

It's not even the graphics that annoy me, they have to keep them basic because a lot of people run FM on their laptops and such, that's what's great about it. But the animations on players and goals and the like are fecking awful. Looks absolutely ridiculous when they dribble and kick the ball. Just look at that clip of PES 12 and see how fluid all those animations are. FM is a disgrace in comparison.

Alright, alright. Compared to what is possible they are way behind even on games that are like 20 years old, which is definitely sad. I think on the forums they also posted that since a lot of people play it on old Hardware, they don't feel like focusing too many resources on improving it, even though I don't think any laptop in use today is worse than the hardware that was state of the art in 2003, hell most of our phones these days are way faster than desktop PCs from back then. :lol: So yeah it's rather a lame excuse, I think they simply don't want to spend the money that it would cost to do all the mocap, even though you can do a lot these days with very little, compared to how it was a decade ago or so.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People still use the 2D view? Do you still have a one of those 10 kg mobile phones as well?
I prefer 2D because you get a clearer idea of what's happening on the pitch. Plus the graphics are still pretty shite and take you out of the immersion.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
I think it will be full game. Would be pointless to be like FM Mobile, i wouldn't buy it if it was and i think many would feel the same. Fm Mobile is for on the go quick games, people will sit for hours playing the PS5 version and it has all the capabilities to have an in-depth database.
The PS5 version wont be the full PC game. It'll be like the Xbox version modelled on the Touch version streamlined down. Maximum of 10 nations.
I'll still buy it, I've been waiting on a PS5 version, even considered buying an Xbox.

https://www.footballmanager.com/compare-games
https://gamerant.com/football-manager-2021-pc-xbox-differences/

Robbie Boy

Maybe the newer generation play in 3D, but all the old school crew who have been around since the classic CM 01/02 days, will surely be 2D only. Moving from commentary to 2D, was already a big step, but 3D is taking the absolute piss.

NoLogo

Alright, alright. Compared to what is possible they are way behind even on games that are like 20 years old, which is definitely sad. I think on the forums they also posted that since a lot of people play it on old Hardware, they don't feel like focusing too many resources on improving it, even though I don't think any laptop in use today is worse than the hardware that was state of the art in 2003, hell most of our phones these days are way faster than desktop PCs from back then. :lol: So yeah it's rather a lame excuse, I think they simply don't want to spend the money that it would cost to do all the mocap, even though you can do a lot these days with very little, compared to how it was a decade ago or so.

anant

Graphics hardly matter for FM. And honestly, their focus on graphics has been truly mind-boggling.

If anything they need to work on AI, how transfers work and more around increasing the difficulty. If you're bidding 20m for a 16 year old, it needs to be accepted even if it is the next Messi, and on the flip side, they need to stop bidding ridiculous amounts for bang average players. Similarly, youth players need to throw a tantrum when they are hardly able to get any game in U18s as well because I have 60 odd kids in there.

Details like this would make the game a lot more challenging than it is now

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Graphics hardly matter for FM. And honestly, their focus on graphics has been truly mind-boggling.

If anything they need to work on AI, how transfers work and more around increasing the difficulty. If you're bidding 20m for a 16 year old, it needs to be accepted even if it is the next Messi, and on the flip side, they need to stop bidding ridiculous amounts for bang average players. Similarly, youth players need to throw a tantrum when they are hardly able to get any game in U18s as well because I have 60 odd kids in there.

Details like this would make the game a lot more challenging than it is now

anant

@Igor Drefljak

Not mutually exclusive though. You want the bid to be accepted, but if I've stockpiled them, I want these kids pulling off a Pogba on me.
Hell, for kids, I'd like that the scouting is not that accurate as well, unlike now where you know who's becoming a superstar

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
@Igor Drefljak

Not mutually exclusive though. You want the bid to be accepted, but if I've stockpiled them, I want these kids pulling off a Pogba on me.
Hell, for kids, I'd like that the scouting is not that accurate as well, unlike now where you know who's becoming a superstar
I agree on the star ratings and stuff.
I want it to have a lot of variables. If he's 5* potential, he's guaranteed basically, no matter the personality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People still use the 2D view? Do you still have a one of those 10 kg mobile phones as well?
2d leaves it up to the imagination how it all plays out without killing the immersion like 3rd and with at least showing sequences unlike just commentary. Easily the best

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
As a regular Cm01/02 player still, alongside Fm2022 PC as well as mobile version, I have to say I enjoy the 3D match engine.

Sometimes it borders on poor in terms of realistic motion capture, sometimes the players look like they are playing on an ice rink, but there's something about seeing the game in the flesh that I like.

I do still really enjoy Cm01/02 match engine and text only however, that cannot be beaten.
Also the mobile version of FM is brilliant, the match engine is similar to FM08 which again was a great 2D engine.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

diarm

2091 and we're still playing Thursday night football :(

CallyRed

I think he was Celtic manager for most of if not all of it.
That would make sense. Insane commitment.

On a different note, applied for a job at Sports Interactive, job was managing all the football researchers across Europe. Sounded pretty cool.

Leg-End

I cannot imagine how slow that must have been to progress a season, mines crawling about 5 seasons in.

Massive Spanner

I remember someone did similar in an older FM and Burnley were absolutely dominating both domestically and in Europe after about 20 or 30 years (and the guy wasn’t managing, just simulating it), so to be fair that one is pretty accurate. Celtic managed by him aside!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Dave_MUFC

I'm torn between pre-ordering this to get the 2 weeks early access, or waiting for it on Gamepass...
Can the GP version be modded in exactly the same way as the retail version?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The ‘Headline Features’ in this are embarrassingly shallow.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think the stuff that’s been shown/talked about seems good. The ME looks better. As long as they improve the core game I’ll be happy.
I’m hoping they fix stuff like AI clubs signing multiple players they don’t need, the massively broken almost game breaking promises system, etc…. There’s so many stupid little things littered throughout that game that can ruin things for you.

I’m not really fussed that there’s now a couple new screens to do things on. The fundamentals haven’t really changed. Obviously got no clue on the match engine yet.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I agree they could have better graphics, but by the way Miles talks on twitter its almost like its a huge win just releasing the game every year, as if they are never guarenteed the backing by Sega or whoever it is that funds sports interactive. I just don't think they have the resources to improve it. I could be wrong though.

As for me, it took me quite a few years to move away from 2D and i still switch to it mid game sometimes to see how the tactic is working, like full backs pushing up too higb etc. But also, truth be told, most of the time i copy tactics i see online to help get me through rough patches as i have next to no idea about which instructions work best for a tactic when you measure it up to the individual attributes a team of players has and how blatantly i expose my defence without realising etc.
You are not alone dude. Did that from CM4 all the way till fm19. Then one fine day, i got really bored (some international break i think). So to get some football, i decided to watch full game with my PSV save. MF, i instantly saw what was breaking my saves all the while. The overlap options keep making my fast wingers stop mid sprints and wait for full backs. My intense press system keep making my fullbacks offside. Then i begin to understand. Now on fm22 i picked same club, let DOF do the signings and i specifically manage wirh whatever i have. I need like 3 tactics for different different purposes to accommodate players i need to build the team with. It's kinda fun

Woodzy

I wish I could find my 20 season FM12 game. I’d probably carry on with it if I could.

My boys Carl Case and Lee Camp banging them in up front for me.