Football phrases that grinds your gears

Micky Targaryen

Are there any phrases or jargon that you often see when describing football in forums especially Redcafe which you really can't stand? I'll start of with the famous three...

1) "Clearing the deadwood".

2) "Steadying the ship."

And the creme de la creme..

3) The United way.

I mean what the feck does that even mean? What is the United way?! Is employing ex-players and legends as manager and backroom staff the United way? Is playing attacking football with exciting wingplay the United way? Lots of other clubs managed to do that, so why is it the United way? By that logic, should we be calling Klopp's gegenpressing the Liverpool way?

So yeah, sorry about the short rant but I seriously cringe whenever I see the above phrases being mentioned on here.

Are there any more to add?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Basically whatever Ole says in every press conference after A defeat.

“Rashy”

“we go again”

“Can’t fault the effort from the boys”

Etc etc.

Eric7C

Not quite a phrase (yet), but Neville's been saying "moving backwards to move forward" a lot lately.

Shut the feck up, Gary.

koop

Close but no cigar.

Heard it in FIFA like 10 years ago, still haven't been bothered to google it and find out what it means.

AaronRedDevil

Unplayable. How is that a good thing? Sounds more like Fred or Lingard, they are so shite, you don't play them.

Eric7C

Close but no cigar.

Heard it in FIFA like 10 years ago, still haven't been bothered to google it and find out what it means.
This isn't really football specific, I think: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/close-but-no-cigar.html
The phrase, and its variant 'nice try, but no cigar', are of US origin and date from the mid-20th century. Fairground stalls gave out cigars as prizes, and this is the most likely source, although there's no definitive evidence to prove that.

wolvored

Ole is now permanant manager. We dont need a DOF. The next noodle deal is in the bag. All Woody sayings probably

Marcelinho87

Are there any phrases or jargon that you often see when describing football in forums especially Redcafe which you really can't stand? I'll start of with the famous three...

1) "Clearing the deadwood".

2) "Steadying the ship."

And the creme de la creme..

3) The United way.

I mean what the feck does that even mean? What is the United way?! Is employing ex-players and legends as manager and backroom staff the United way? Is playing attacking football with exciting wingplay the United way? Lots of other clubs managed to do that, so why is it the United way? By that logic, should we be calling Klopp's gegenpressing the Liverpool way?

So yeah, sorry about the short rant but I seriously cringe whenever I see the above phrases being mentioned on here.

Are there any more to add?
It is what you associate a club with and what way they should play no matter who the manager is.

Gegenpressing would never be the Liverpool way because they don't employ that style typically just since Klopp arrived but there is an expectation at United that the manager should play attacking wingplay.

It's all bollocks of course and it's just people yearning for the days of SAF.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Narrative, in almost any context, has been utterly and completely ruined.

Siorac

"He wasn't backed"
This. Completely ruined.

Also 'he's only going to get better'. No, you don't know that. He might get worse.

'Passion and desire' - 90% of the time those aren't the real issues.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
'Agenda' is the most annoying thing said on the caf. When someone throws it around just because someone else has a criticism of a player.

"They wanted it more"

"You can only beat what is in front of you"

"Playing the right way"

"He's not that kind of player"

"I've seen that given" and "soft penalty"

"Better side on paper"

"Too good to go down"

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
"Double pivot." Sure.

"Calming influence." Which usually means, dallies on the ball and passes it sideways.

Ether

"These things even themselves out"

no proof that this is actually true

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
"They've been the better side" when the team in question isn't winning.

Goals resulting in a wining margin make you the better side. Possession, creating chances, missing sitters and hitting the post do not.

Micky Targaryen

"Going in the right direction".

This is a direct slight to Ole. Not asking you to win all games, but at least don't lose to fecking Palace, West Ham and bloody Newcastle. :houllier: Going in the right direction means getting some points on the board ffs.

witchtrials

"Greatest of all time"

Also "clutch" - no idea where this has come from. American sports maybe.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
“The United way”.

“United DNA”.

“It’s a 6 pointer”.

“He’s a great shot stopper”

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"High press"

I swear this was never used before about 4 years ago, now it's used repeatedly.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
"They've bottled it" or "They are bottlers".
Used all the time these days and I absolutely hate it.