Football phrases that grinds your gears

Schneckerl

When people say a certain manager is "the perfect fit" What the feck does that mean?
Isn't it obvious? The manager is affiliated with the club, familiar with people working there, similar to previous successful managers employed by the club etc.

Kamprad

Seeing people refer to Ronaldo as CR7 just makes me want to hurt someone. Don't know why?

Also:

"he has a low centre of gravity"
"flat back four"
"playing in the hole"

I wouldn't mind if I never hear these terms again. Also pretty much most of what is said during American commentaries.
:lol:

Totally agree every single one of those.

simplyared

Isn't it obvious? The manager is affiliated with the club, familiar with people working there, similar to previous successful managers employed by the club etc.
Nah not buying that. A manager being a "good fit" is based on results not because of the reasons you put forward. Sorry mate but that's just a load of bollocks!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"Rebuilding"

You buy players, you sell players. Every season you get a new shot at trophies, and things move quick in football. Rebuilding is not an excuse to be trophyless for 2-3 seasons. If you were shit, you were shit. Call a spade a spade.

tomaldinho1

The use of the word 'Saga' in any transfer story that lasts more than a week

Melville Red

Strike is a word with many meanings, one of them being to 'hit or kick a ball.' Seems a weird thing to take issue with.
It crept in to commentary when Sky got football. You never heard the old school commentators say “what a strike”.
It just annoys me as when you are watching a game you never shout “STIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE YOU IDIOT*” no you always shout “SHOOT, SHOOT, OH FFS*”, thus it should be “Oh what a great shot”. Strike my a.....

*IDIOT and FFS can be substituted for anything you deem appropriate.

Theonas

Scout
Nah not buying that. A manager being a "good fit" is based on results not because of the reasons you put forward. Sorry mate but that's just a load of bollocks!
Of course it can make sense. A club like Barcelona for example have a well known preference for how they want to play. Wouldn't a coach who wants and is good at implementing that be a good fit for them?

WakeAndBeek

“We’re a big club” feck off, used by fans of teams like Sunderland where only fans over 90 have actually seen them be successful

jem

'Disgusting', 'Fraud', and 'Coward' are three particular annoying phrases employed in these parts.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Seeing people refer to Ronaldo as CR7 just makes me want to hurt someone. Don't know why?

Also:

"he has a low centre of gravity"
"flat back four"
"playing in the hole"

I wouldn't mind if I never hear these terms again. Also pretty much most of what is said during American commentaries.
I read that as "flat pack four" and was wondering if Solskjaer had been to IKEA to try to build a credible defence.

"Hit it too well," for certain.
"Keep doing what they're doing and the goals will come," against a team who are defending well is another one. The defending team have clearly prepared to nullify Plan A; this is why you have Plan B.

Schneckerl

You're wrong. I mean this isn't even a football exclusive thing, but how real world works too, so it's really odd for someone to deny it. Results and experience are just one factor. Before someone brings up Ole - he obviously doesn't even pass this hurdle.
Someone like Mourinho for example had the require results, but there's no way he could have taken over Barcelona. Or Klopp wouldn't fit in at Madrid.

Pep to City: Txiki Begiristain joined City as a DoF in 2012

Last edited:

Mick1

98%
Silent domination
And Moyes special : try and make it hard^

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
"He's such a great specimen" when pundits refer to Ronaldo.
Makes me feel uneasy rather than it grinding my gears though.

Last edited:

Withnail

"literally" when used by Jamie Redknapp prior to a metaphor or anything he says really.

'He literally we tore the defence to shreds'

Yes Jamie now they're all dead.

I concur on 'hit it too well". Can't remember who said it on the weekend but the shot was about 10ft over the bar.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah,Redknapp needs to learn the difference between metaphorically,figuratively and literally.
Or just words in general.

Jibberjabber

Supports
Liverpool
When fans try to use a play on words when referring to their rivals..
Looserpool
Manure
Old Toilet
Slippy G
Mankers
Etc
It's not witty, it's cringe worthy, middle school playground stuff...

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

When fans try to use a play on words when referring to their rivals..
Looserpool
Manure
Old Toilet
Slippy G
Mankers
Etc
It's not witty, it's cringe worthy, middle school playground stuff...
I came here to post something like this! So cringey! And they think they're being so cool as well

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
"xx has scored against his former team"

"and he is still young (seemingly anyone under 21)"

"xx scores on his debut"

and the total feck-witted: "they've scored early doors"

Needham

"Going forward..." and any other BBC bullshit management speak that's bled its way into punditry.