Football phrases that grinds your gears

Yeah, most of those are pure cringetopia. Chelski, Shitty, Manure, Liverpuddle, Klanfield, Slur Alex, Fergiescum, Arsene Whinger, Crynaldo etc.

Cloud7

I’ve seen a lot of people deriding “clutch” in this thread, but it is quite a useful word that is applicable in all sports, unless you lot have another term for a player that more often than not will deliver in a high pressure situation?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
"He got a tune out of him"

I always worry about which hole he was blowing into.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Grinds your gears is an annoying phrase for a start. I don't know why, it just is.
as annoying as people who say someone knows how to "push their buttons". Normally some over emotional halfwit

GGT

Two teams are playing in a match
Team A are leading 2-0
Team B score, after an hour
Commentator "Team B are back in the match"

Well I have been watching for the last hour, and am pretty sure it has been team A v B contesting the match all the time I have been watching.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
"His studs were showing" so that's definitely a foul then

Someone please tell me how to slide tackle without your studs showing?

Drives me insane.

SER19

Not football specific but certainly becoming incredibly prominent on here.

When posters start a post, not neccesarily even replying to anything, with 'I mean,'

Eg youre in a thread about our tactics and a poster, in isolation, just says

'I mean, we look like we don't know what we're doing....'

Of course you 'mean' you're fecking posting what you mean. Its such an irritating Internet qualifier to a statement

Eric7C

Grinds your gears is an annoying phrase for a start. I don't know why, it just is.
I think this thread reveals that any phrase if overused, especially by some pundits, can grind one's gears.

Cliche Guevara

We lost 3-0 but our goalkeeper didn’t have a save to make.

Erm...

The thing that probably drives me most nuts is referring to a promising young player as a ‘talent’. Where has that come from? What does it mean? People use it on here all the time and it makes me a bit sick.

There’s lots of ‘talents’ in that league. They like to sign ‘talents’.

Why does ‘talent’ mean young player? That’s not what it means!!!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Referring to grown men as "kids". The clown commentator on MOTD2 made some kind of comment about how "Chelsea's kids" are doing it for them after one of them scored. Tammy Abraham is 22 years old...

And not so much a phrase but it drives me mental whenever commentators/pundits rave about someone crossing the ball "into a good area" even when there is no teammate in sight. All it takes is for someone to blast the ball across the 6 yard box and you'll have the commentators creaming their knickers. Unless there's someone there then it's just a wasted pass ffs.

Highlyevolved

“Top top player”

See it on here way too often, and hear OGS say it, all in tribute to Fergie using poor English.

“Top player” is fine everyone. There’s only one top, and it’s at the top.

Ronaldo is a top player.

Messi is a top player.

It’s not hard. I cringe every time I read it or hear it.

Dannic

Supports
Liverpool
"He's hit that too well" - no. He just hit it in the wrong place
"They've bottled it" - just seems to be used to mean someone lost. Often in ways that have nothing to do with character
"He's capable of that" - just after they've done something, the commentator says they are able to do that. Yes. They just did it. It is not possible for them to do something they can't do
"Rolls Royce of a player" - what? slow, lumbering and expensive?

sillwuka

I've heard YouTubers on fan channels actually use the terms,

'DM, CDM, AM' when discussing positions on video..

Also "The curse of the commentator" line used.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinjiNinja26

When people refer to the England women’s team as the “Lionesses” just pure cringe, especially when Phil Neville says it! Nobody ever calls the men’s team the lions.

Also whenever player makes a bad challenge or injures somebody the commentator or pundit says “He’s not that type of player” or any of the following “Put it on a sixpence”, “through the eye of a needle” and “I’ve seen them given” :devil:

Needham

Yeah, most of those are pure cringetopia. Chelski, Shitty, Manure, Liverpuddle, Klanfield, Slur Alex, Fergiescum, Arsene Whinger, Crynaldo etc.
You missed off Snottingham Florest, Derby cnuty, Birmingham Shitey, Pigmouth Argits, Slumderland, Fester City, Bumley, and Orientalism

simplyared

Remember David Coleman, the football commentater. One of his favourites:
"The shot was good but the save was better!"
Doesn't annoy me so doesn't really belong on this thread. Thought I'd put it in anyway!

Reiver

"And it's live!"
"They've got their swagger back"
Saying the transfer window "slams" shut.
1966. And any reference to it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"For me" is bloody irritating.

We're asking you, so we're taking it as a given it's your opinion!

RedEric7

Supports
United
I’ve seen a lot of people deriding “clutch” in this thread, but it is quite a useful word that is applicable in all sports, unless you lot have another term for a player that more often than not will deliver in a high pressure situation?
I usually just say "big game player" (yes, aware that this phrase probably annoys people) or something along the lines that he always delivers when it matters the most (Ronaldo, Kante, Ramos). Don't feel comfortable using a term like "clutch" that people have only been introduced to by American sports

Cloud7

I usually just say "big game player" (yes, aware that this phrase probably annoys people) or something along the lines that he always delivers when it matters the most (Ronaldo, Kante, Ramos). Don't feel comfortable using a term like "clutch" that people have only been introduced to by American sports
I hear it in cricket quite a lot as well, so I’m fairly used to it.