Football phrases that grinds your gears

Siorac

They deserved something out of the game. They didnt, or they would have got it.
What if a team is denied two stonewall penalties, get a couple of goals chalked of incorrectly for offside while the opponent scored from a deliberate handball? Is that a deserved win, too?

I never got this logic. Same with people who deny that luck plays a part in football.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
What if a team is denied two stonewall penalties, get a couple of goals chalked of incorrectly for offside while the opponent scored from a deliberate handball? Is that a deserved win, too?

I never got this logic. Same with people who deny that luck plays a part in football.
Yep.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

I deny luck plays a part in football.

Unlucky to hit the bar/post? Luck wasn't involved, you got your shot wrong by an inch or so, it wasn't bad luck, it was bad skill.

Siorac

Okay. I think that's insane, the idea that everyone always gets what they deserve, but OK.

Unlucky to hit the bar/post? Luck wasn't involved, you got your shot wrong by an inch or so, it wasn't bad luck, it was bad skill.
A deflection that takes the keeper out of the game is lucky. Hitting the inside of both posts with the same shot is unlucky.

Claiming they're not is almost like claiming luck plays no part in dice poker: it's just bad skill rolling the dice.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Okay. I think that's insane, the idea that everyone always gets what they deserve, but OK.

A deflection that takes the keeper out of the game is lucky. Hitting the inside of both posts with the same shot is unlucky.

Claiming they're not is almost like claiming luck plays no part in dice poker: it's just bad skill rolling the dice.
Kicking a football is not a lottery, ffs!

It's unlucky when a beach ball blows onto the pitch and deflects the ball. If you shoot at goal and a defender deflects it into the goal, it's not luck, it's bad defending. If the ball hits both posts, as I said before, it's a bad shot, if it was a couple of inches the other side, it would have gone in without touching the post.

And what the feck has throwing dice got to do with it? There is no skill in throwing die, ffs!

Siorac

Kicking a football is not a lottery, ffs!

It's unlucky when a beach ball blows onto the pitch and deflects the ball. If you shoot at goal and a defender deflects it into the goal, it's not luck, it's bad defending. If the ball hits both posts, as I said before, it's a bad shot, if it was a couple of inches the other side, it would have gone in without touching the post.

And what the feck has throwing dice got to do with it? There is no skill in throwing die, ffs!
You'd think that but in theory it's perfectly possible to note the position of the dice in your hands and then calculate the force and angle of your roll so that it produces the desired result. No mysterious force controls dice: it's just physics, like in football. It's just a lot harder to control and manipulate but still, the "not unlucky but bad skill" thing can apply here, if we're as literal about it as you are about football.

Swearing Budgie

But there are also some good ones, like...

'the keeper got a big hand on it,

'leapt like a salmon at the back stick'

'he hit that almost too well'

'the official tractor of Manchester United'

Flanders Devil

Two I just don’t get:

‘We go again’

‘Fluffed the lines’

Edit one more - tiki taka

Robertd0803

"Its being recycled"

No its just one team keep hoofing the ball away and cant keep it.

Josep Dowling

I honestly don't remember high press being used at all before the last few years.
Now they're obsessed with it.
I agree it’s a relatively new term but that’s many to do with no manager in the Premier League used the high press like Guardiola and Klopp.

mu4c_20le

Those are tactical terms with specific meaning though.
They have probably been around for some time, but are the current buzzwords because some big name manager mentioned it. Now every ms paint tactical professor on youtube uses them.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
"six and a half of one; half a dozen of another"

I've no idea where that came from or what it means. All I know is commentators like saying it.

Chipper

Adulterer.

I've no idea where that came from or what it means. All I know is commentators like saying it.
It's a well known phrase, not just in football and it's actually "six of one, half a dozen of the other".

It means there's no real difference because half a dozen is six. In football I'm guessing you've mostly heard it when two players are jostling? Commentator means that he thinks they were both doing the same thing and no free kick should be given.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Huh, where to start?
1) "It is not his team"
2) "needs time"
3) "long term"
4) "he was unlucky( after player missing 100% chance)"
5) "they deserved to win( after they lost)"
6) "he is hard working player"

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It is like this. If team win the game by the rules then they deserved to win. Despite that other team had 30 chances, 3 penalties missed, 99% of possession and that winning team scored from their only shot and that shot was own goal when defender tried to pass to his gk.
Also about luck ; when players miss clear chances it is not "unlucky". It is skill( or lack of it). If ball goes into the net by some weird deflection, then it is luck.

Pagh Wraith

Football is a game of luck not skill, no different to rolling a dice, I've heard everything now.
That is a) not what was said and b) luck quite obviously plays a big part in football results. Football, like Poker for example, is quite obviously primarily a game of skill but in the short term bad players can beat better ones (i.e. those with a higher skill level) due to variance. It's not that different on a fundamental level. A random amateur player beating Messi in a 5-shot crossbar challenge isn't that unlikely. Continually increase the number of shots and the likelihood of that outcome will approach zero.

I get annoyed, and that brings us back to the topic of this thread, when this concept gets brought up (using imprecise terms such as luck or undeserved admittedly) and then ridiculed because it's always an excuse apparently. It's clearly part of the game.

Siorac

That is a) not what was said and b) luck quite obviously plays a big part in football results. Football, like Poker for example, is quite obviously primarily a game of skill but in the short term bad players can beat better ones (i.e. those with a higher skill level) due to variance. It's not that different on a fundamental level. A random amateur player beating Messi in a 5-shot crossbar challenge isn't that unlikely. Continually increase the number of shots and the likelihood of that outcome will approach zero.

I get annoyed, and that brings us back to the topic of this thread, when this concept gets brought up (using imprecise terms such as luck or undeserved admittedly) and then ridiculed because it's always an excuse apparently. It's clearly part of the game.
You said it better than I could.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

six and a half of one is actually slightly more than half a dozen and therefore renders the whole saying useless, so yeah that would annoy me too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What about if it hits a divot that someone accidentally made 5 minutes ago?

What if it deflects off your teammate, hits the bar, careers into your face then goes in to your own net?

What if a bird shits in your mouth?

This all seems pretty unlucky Colin.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Players moving to a new club....

“It is a dream to move to this club”.

alright mate, you’ve grown up in Belarus, it’s clearly a dream to move to Sheffield fecking Wednesday, all the kids there watch them....

literally every random move is a “dream”.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What about if it hits a divot that someone accidentally made 5 minutes ago?

What if it deflects off your teammate, hits the bar, careers into your face then goes in to your own net?

What if a bird shits in your mouth?

This all seems pretty unlucky Colin.
Really skilful bird

noodlehair

"It's like..."
"top bins" - I don't even know why this annoys me. It just sounds like it's been nicked off Soccer Saturday, which isn't a good thing.

"UEFA need to make a statement" - It took us nearly a year to reluctantly give the England captain a slap on the rist for being caught on camera racially insulting another player. We had one of the biggest clubs in England literally printing and wearing t-shirts to support one of their players being a racist, and no one was punished for it. We're currently in the middle of a massive naitonal crisis brought about in no small part due to the number of English people who irrationally hate foreigners. Every time a black player speaks out, the only people you see in the media backing them up are other black players/former players. We have no right to be telling anyone else how to deal with racism when our own solution is to pretend it doesn't exist and we only become outraged when it's a chance to use it as a stick to beat foreigners.

Kemizee

XG... Basically a term that is used to justify what could have been which in my opinion means feck all! The Ole cult love it so much and use it to trumpet how it is not his fault despite him being woefully out of depth!

You are either winning or losing, progressing or declining. No in-betweens. If we did XG for everyone, then results wouldn't be exist in football.